Phuket Immigration looking for a Russian volunteer

webfact

I live in Hua Hin so I'm not really too clued up on this story but what exactly do these farangs do for immigration?

Are they helping people with say understanding the paperwork for a visa/extension of stay application, maybe helping with translations or are they actively going around enforcing immigration law?

Do these immigration farangs need to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement, as might they be privy to confidential info such as bank statements and other financial documents.

Could the position of these immigration volunteers not be open to abuse?

How stringent is the recruitment process?

I'm not sure I'd feel very comfortable handing over important documents to someone that was volunteering just because they have nothing better to do.

Are they just playing boy scouts or do they offer a genuine service to people?

I'm not having a go here, just trying to find out more info as I don't think we have volunteers helping out immigration like this in Hua Hin.

I would like to think they do it to have something to do and help people..maybe keep them out of the bar and not get bored with nothing to do..

• Like 1

What I find very offensive about this is how we, as ex-pats have to pay for everything and sometimes we pay double for things...we have no rights etc...yet, the Thais expect us to want to volunteer for free? Why don't they make it a paid position and provide a work permit? I have no problem helping foreigners but I wouldn't be volunteering to help the Thai police or Immigration for free...is this some kind of joke?

What I find very offensive about this is how we, as ex-pats have to pay for everything and sometimes we pay double for things...we have no rights etc...yet, the Thais expect us to want to volunteer for free? Why don't they make it a paid position and provide a work permit? I have no problem helping foreigners but I wouldn't be volunteering to help the Thai police or Immigration for free...is this some kind of joke?

I know how you feel but dont forget the thais like to take and not give..

everyone seems to be looking at this position as what do I have to gain from it, well not everyone needs money or a permit, for some this would be an excuse to get out of the house and maybe meet people, be social and not have to live at the bar to do it.

The only problem I ever had with any immigration dept in Thailand was in Phuket and a Swedish volunteer. I ended up getting my answer from the Thai.

I speak American English and he had some problem about a volcano blasting somewhere and all I wanted was an extension for 1 day.

I was told (by the Thai) to go to the airport and pay a max of 500 Baht instead of 1900. I left and didn't pay anything.

Not sure that these volunteers are much help.

everyone seems to be looking at this position as what do I have to gain from it, well not everyone needs money or a permit, for some this would be an excuse to get out of the house and maybe meet people, be social and not have to live at the bar to do it.

Its not so much the volunteers, its the immigration dept / RTP ? Why should they avoid hiring a Thai university graduate who is proficient in the required language who has been trained by the immigration service to deal with such matters. Are these guys not breaking one golden rule, taking work from a Thai person ( ahh, we dont have any Russian translators, well put some money into scholarships than into that new governmental silver mini-van fleet )

If this was the UK, then im sure it would be considered discrimination if assistance / literature in a foreign tongue wasnt provided. It neednt be face-to-face, a freephone line service would be sufficient. ( Before you'all start, we arent in the UK, but we are in one of the biggest tourist revenue generating systems in the world)

The buying uniform is a Thai thing, the missus is a teacher, a couple of times a year she's required to hire/buy a special dress for some silly event that cost half of her daily wage. She enjoys the job, gets her out of my hair, so i bite my tongue.

They are always complaining about foreigners taking the jobs of Thai's... This is one area they should pay a qualified Thai not give the job to a falang who is stupid enough to work for free.

They should practice what they preach. Immigration makes lots of money so no problems paying a Thai to work there.

Thats assuming they can actually find a Thai with English degree that can actually speak english.

Happy to rip of foreigners but don't really want to pay their own people.

Gets you out of the house ? but deprives a Thai of 20000 Baht a month salary...stay at home with your bottle instead of wanting to steal other peoples jobs.

They are always complaining about foreigners taking the jobs of Thai's... This is one area they should pay a qualified Thai not give the job to a falang who is stupid enough to work for free.

They should practice what they preach. Immigration makes lots of money so no problems paying a Thai to work there.

Thats assuming they can actually find a Thai with English degree that can actually speak english.

Happy to rip of foreigners but don't really want to pay their own people.

Gets you out of the house ? but deprives a Thai of 20000 Baht a month salary...stay at home with your bottle instead of wanting to steal other peoples jobs.

I have a Thai fiend who worked at the immigration, she really liked it. It is busy and practice English all day. But for 5.000,- a month she could just not keep doing it. They make money and are "officials". How could they pay her so bad?

• 9 months later...

I don't know if they have found a Russian volunteer, but they could certainly have done with one yesterday while I was there.

At least 3 Russian couples having GREAT difficulty understanding and being understood.

I don't know if they have found a Russian volunteer, but they could certainly have done with one yesterday while I was there.

At least 3 Russian couples having GREAT difficulty understanding and being understood.

Yes they have a Russian volunteer now.

There are a few posts about "buying their own uniforms."

Out of curiosity, and maybe Simon43 can assist with my enquiry, why does the guy in the right of the photo have a purple arm insignia, the guy in the middle a light blue insignia, and the guy on the right, appears to have a dark blue insigna?

Does it denote rank, time as TPV etc etc, or did they simply buy their uniforms from a difference supplier?

Edited by NamKangMan

...maybe Simon43 can assist with my enquiry...

Only a little, because the photo is of Immigration Volunteers, not Tourist Police Volunteers, (IMHO, too many different volunteer groups).

But I think you're reading too much into the different colours of their insignia. From my own experience, the insignia turns purple when one tries to bleach the shirt to clean it! The blue colour will also fade over several washes.

There are a few posts about "buying their own uniforms."

Out of curiosity, and maybe Simon43 can assist with my enquiry, why does the guy in the right of the photo have a purple arm insignia, the guy in the middle a light blue insignia, and the guy on the right, appears to have a dark blue insigna?

Does it denote rank, time as TPV etc etc, or did they simply buy their uniforms from a difference supplier?

They should be all the same.

The purple one is just discolored due to the bad quality. Lol

The other two badges are coming from two different suppliers and are not 100 % the same color.