Lane splitting in Bangkok with a PCX or similar

oval

Good morning all,

I am considering upgrading from my tired old Nouvo Elegance to a new bike, and at the moment the 2014 PCX150 has my attention.

However, as I do most of my riding in central Bangkok, and spend alot of time weaving between gridlocked cars, I am not sure whther the PCX is too fat to squeeze through the tight spots in the way I've become accustomed.

Has anyone had experience moving from a leaner scoot to the PCX in central BKK? Or perhaps there is another bike I should be looking at? I don't want a bike with less cc's than my current 135 Nouvo...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Every time I see someone is asking about splitting lanes, I see most of the people answer never a problem, its easy and so on. I mentioned this before. It depends where u ride. The last example I have is from a road where I never had a problem too with the CBR. After their drew one more line on the road it gets really tight and there are many scooters waiting behind cars. And this is not the only road like this. So it depends where u are, not only what u ride and how good u are at it. About the PCX I can say its not much harder than the Click but it is a bit more difficult, unless u take off the mirrors. Sometimes I am surprised how Phantoms and Forzas made their way forward too.

Glad you're not in CM. Loads of people on scooters in the middle of the road with not enough power to keep up with traffic trying to kill themselves everyday

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Glad you're not in CM. Loads of people on scooters in the middle of the road with not enough power to keep up with traffic trying to kill themselves everyday

This does not make sense. Even a scooter should have enough power to keep up with city traffic. I would venture that it's the riders and not the equipment. Unless you are talking about the major arteries into and out of CM of course.

This does not make sense. Even a scooter should have enough power to keep up with city traffic. I would venture that it's the riders and not the equipment. Unless you are talking about the major arteries into and out of CM of course.

Right G-man.

The speed limit even on highways is 90.

A Wave110 can hit 95+

A Filano or Scoopy...dunno.

Right G-man.

The speed limit even on highways is 90.

A Wave110 can hit 95+

A Filano or Scoopy...dunno.

if it is traffic, it is mostly about roll on acceleration or how long does it take to reach top speeds.

But a wave 125 is enough to keep up with city traffic still prefer to be on the slower lanes with it.

The Super Highway, twice a day. Always plugged up with idiots trying on scooters barely keeping up with traffic in-between two lanes of cars.

The Super Highway, twice a day. Always plugged up with idiots trying on scooters barely keeping up with traffic in-between two lanes of cars.

Oh I see. I thought you meant in the city where lane splitting is the main reason for getting a bike :). I agree with you that smaller capacity bikes including PCX's should stay as far left as possible as it just does not have the power and stability to keep up with cars on highways

I parked my Nouvo next to a PCX yesterday and boy did that Honda look chubby and wide. I just can't imagine it squeezing through the Ramkhamhaeng peak hour gridlock/carpark as easily as my Nouvo... I am probably wrong, having not ridden one, but it DOES look like it would be less easy to slip through the gaps.

Perhaps I should, as someone suggested, squeeze as much life out of my Nouvo as possible, and hope that a bike company starts selling a slim 150cc auto bike sooner rather than later. Like a Raider R150, but no gears please.

(I want a 150 because I am tall and heavy, and often I need to go to outer Bangkok where the traffic moves alot faster)

I parked my Nouvo next to a PCX yesterday and boy did that Honda look chubby and wide. I just can't imagine it squeezing through the Ramkhamhaeng peak hour gridlock/carpark as easily as my Nouvo... I am probably wrong, having not ridden one, but it DOES look like it would be less easy to slip through the gaps.

Perhaps I should, as someone suggested, squeeze as much life out of my Nouvo as possible, and hope that a bike company starts selling a slim 150cc auto bike sooner rather than later. Like a Raider R150, but no gears please.

(I want a 150 because I am tall and heavy, and often I need to go to outer Bangkok where the traffic moves alot faster)

Why don't you try the Honda SH-150....it's not wider than PCX,but taller(can see above the heads and cars).It has planty of power to keep up with 'normal' traffic....and it is 'walk thru',so easy to get in and out,and can keep you knees together... :)

Why don't you try the Honda SH-150....it's not wider than PCX,but taller(can see above the heads and cars).It has planty of power to keep up with 'normal' traffic....and it is 'walk thru',so easy to get in and out,and can keep you knees together... smile.png

Yeah I like the look of that bike - nearly bought a used one before and missed my chance!

Is it as wide as the PCX?

I just sold my 135 Nouvo and was debating between a 150 PCX and the Nouvo SX. I had the same concerns about the size of the PCX in the tight traffic, and parking, in Pattaya. In the end i went for the SX for 56,500. I really couldn't see the benefit of paying an extra 25,000 for a bigger/heavier bike. Now if most of your riding is outside of town then maybe it makes sense.

Lane splitting in Bangkok with a PCX or similar
If you are looking for an auto in the 135-->>200cc range the choices are few:
YNE, PCX, SH-150.
Rough costs new:
56K, 80K, 95K baht.
I think you are leaning toward the SH and will find a nice 2nd-hand one.

00j0j_7R7XkOhH2LL_300x300.jpg

*******Honda SH-150....The Big Man Scooter...!! ******* ฿79000 (CHIANG MAI)

[Craigslist]

I'd suggest a bus ride north, then ride it home.

Would be very fun.

Or wait for one to be offered locally.

Until then, enjoy the NE.thumbsup.gif

post-174911-0-70196200-1402562788_thumb.

Edited by papa al

Why don't you try the Honda SH-150....it's not wider than PCX,but taller(can see above the heads and cars).It has planty of power to keep up with 'normal' traffic....and it is 'walk thru',so easy to get in and out,and can keep you knees together... smile.png

Yeah I like the look of that bike - nearly bought a used one before and missed my chance!

Is it as wide as the PCX?

I would say the SH-150 is about the same width as the Nouvo,maybe an inch wilder,but all the other benefits would and should crumble the other competition ...it is for now the ultimate 150cc scooter....but some may still like the PCX looks better,if one goes for the look alone.. wink.png

This photo shows the 'rear ends' of Nouvo SX and SH-150.....besides the bad quality of the photo(taken in my storage),you can see,that there is not much of the width difference,but the height and the tire size are clearly visible... (and Nouvo is about 50cm closer to the camera,so still may appear bigger than it actually is)....smile.png

post-60959-0-58231000-1402757766_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Only issue with the PCX is that the stock mirrors stick out too far. Change them to some foldable ones and you'll be fine.

Just pull them up in an ear like position. Works fine.

It does help a little - but it's still annoying. My old GSX-R had nice fairing mounted car-style mirrors which could take a good bang and fold themselves in if I forgot to do the job in advance... I must say that the PCX mirrors do show a little more style than substance, and mounting them on the handlebars is a bit cheap - I'd prefer a more functional set - but they're not easy to spot. I guess I'll be looking out for more (Tesco Lotus have some, but they were nasty colours).