British goiverment Visa RANT

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody in your position should never have a problem.

Sounds like your application was tardy and your post suggests a bit of arrogance in the ease with which you expected to get the visa.

You should have sought the advice of friends or looked at the many threads on Thai Visa that cover exactly what is required.

It is no use bleating at the UK government, you are the only person to blame for not satisfying the criteria.

Time and time again members like the Old Git point out that each application has to be treated on its own merits and you need to tick all the boxes for the EO.

• Like 2

I really do sympathise and agree the rigmarole that one has to endure is ridiculous.

I believe that once married for 5 years, and you have lived in the country of your spouse for that time, she shoukdnt need a visa at all, as its clear the marriage etc is real, but thats maybe for another thread.

You can never give too much information in support of a visa app, it seems you were a little lax in some areas and ended in a negative response, you also have no idea what was actually asked and asnwered in the interview, which initself was a further chance.

Really sorry though, its very frustrating and clearly upsetting.

Why a tourist vis when a 'family' visit would have been more appropriate, just a thought.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

How come your bank statements didn't have your name on them? You really can't blame the EO for discounting them if it wasn't clear whose bank account they referred to.

Edit: I do sympathise with the gist of your post though!

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

I'm sorry that you had to go through that experience and I do understand your anger. But as others have already pointed out....there's no usefullness in my repeating those things but I would urge you to reapply, I'm certain you'll both have a great holiday.

It will not help your mood to discover (as I did last week) that it is far easier for a European with a Thai wife to visit the UK than it is for a British citizen with a Thai wife to do so.

They can enter under EU citizen's rights rather than the usual immigration regulations.

• Like 1

In my experience over the last four years of visa applications for my wife, Australia (twice)and NZ - can't do enough to help, efficient service and 12 month multiple re-entry granted. in comparison UK (twice)- total negative attitude, did nothing to ease the way, grudging gave up a three month single entry visa each time. I should add I have UK/NZ dual nationality and children living in both countries plus a mother in Australia so all visas were for close family visits. The difference in attitude between UK and Australia/NZ is quite remarkable and I am at a lost to understand it.

• Like 1

To all those who sympathiae, thank you, although I am not really looking for sympathy just a way to vent my anger.

To those who state I did not fill out the application correctly, you did not see the application so therefore you have no justification for this claim. I believe it was filled out correctly and the only oversight was mine with the bank statements.

In my defense they were printed from the Kasikorn web site and I did not look at them too closely. My failing eyesight makes it hard for me to read the very small print and I sort of assumed that it would have all infomration there. My bad.

The wedding is the ffirst week of July.

At then end of the day my main complaint must be at the process that does not let me as the husband of the applicant and who is sponsoring her visa have any ability to be at the interview. I know I am by no means the first nor the last to fall foul of the British embassy in this regard. Just let my story be a warning for others.

Wow yet another unhappy customer from vfs UK side. There has been quite a few on here lately.

I really sympathise for all that effort to end up as denied.

Edit to say vfs use to let us sit in on the interviews.

Seems really unfair I suppose they stopped that

Edited by krisb

A major part of the problem OP is that there are so many people trying to scam the system that the ECO really doesn't know the good from the bad except on the basis of what is presented to them.

And whilst it would be nice and supportive to be with your partner during interview, the ECO really doesn't want to hear the stories that some might concoct on the spur of the moment, not to imply that you might do so but what other possible explanation can there be for a one to one interview, after all, the sponsor is not the visa applicant..

A major part of the problem OP is that there are so many people trying to scam the system that the ECO really doesn't know the good from the bad except on the basis of what is presented to them.

And whilst it would be nice and supportive to be with your partner during interview, the ECO really doesn't want to hear the stories that some might concoct on the spur of the moment, not to imply that you might do so but what other possible explanation can there be for a one to one interview, after all, the sponsor is not the visa applicant..

What you are saying is that because so many people are guilty it is a waste of time allowing the defence a chance to speak?

All that is required to fix many of the problems is a simple email to the applicant stating that uness questions listed below can be answered to thier satisfaction with supporting evidence within the next x days then the visa will be refused.

• Like 2

"What you are saying is that because so many people are guilty it is a waste of time allowing the defence a chance to speak?

All that is required to fix many of the problems is a simple email to the applicant stating that uness questions listed below can be answered to thier satisfaction with supporting evidence within the next x days then the visa will be refused"

Isnt that what happened at the interview and why it was possibly requested ?

Edited by CharlieH

"It appears from the rejection letter she received today that the main reason for rejection was that my bank statements did not have my name on them although my wife did have my bank book with her in the interview it was not looked at or noted. My mistake I forgot to provide a copy of the front page."

​VFS is an agency for receiving visa applications on behalf of the UKVI who are charged with receiving applications with accompanying documentation and taking "Biometrics", they are not allowed to give advice and AFAIK are not expected to check the documents.

Edit in:

If you need someone to check your application and supporting documents before submitting use a repeatable Visa Agent.

Edited by Basil B

What you are saying is that because so many people are guilty it is a waste of time allowing the defence a chance to speak?

All that is required to fix many of the problems is a simple email to the applicant stating that uness questions listed below can be answered to thier satisfaction with supporting evidence within the next x days then the visa will be refused.

I didn't say those things OP, I was just trying to balance the argument in the hope you'd appreciate their point of view.

And you know, sending emails that say something or other is about as useful as nothing, those emails could be from absolutely anyone, I revert to the scamming brigade, you know who you are!

• Like 1

You can slice it up any way you want. It is an absolute disgrace that a Brit cannot routinely take his wife (of many years) in and out of his home country, as he pleases. The official that rejected this application is nothing more than a complete git! He/she could have easily, and SHOULD have clarified the omission. An absolute disgrace!

How do you know they didnt at the interview ? They called the interview as something wasnt right or they wouldnt have called for it. Whatever happened or didnt happen in that interview completed the decision, IMHO.

"It appears from the rejection letter she received today that the main reason for rejection was that my bank statements did not have my name on them although my wife did have my bank book with her in the interview it was not looked at or noted. My mistake I forgot to provide a copy of the front page."

​VFS is an agency for receiving visa applications on behalf of the UKVI who are charged with receiving applications with accompanying documentation and taking "Biometrics", they are not allowed to give advice and AFAIK are not expected to check the documents.

Edit in:

If you need someone to check your application and supporting documents before submitting use a repeatable Visa Agent.

As stated. I did initially try to employ the services of a visa agent but although emails were sent to a few asking if they would be wiling to help, non replied. At the time of the initial form filling exercise I was employed overseas and it would have been a good help.

If the VFS is only a form receiving agency then what is the point of making the applicant wait 3 hours beyond the application time for an interview?

I didn't say those things OP, I was just trying to balance the argument in the hope you'd appreciate their point of view.

And you know, sending emails that say something or other is about as useful as nothing, those emails could be from absolutely anyone, I revert to the scamming brigade, you know who you are!

Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment, but either way it does nothing to balance the argument.

AS a to my comment the point was they could if they so wished ask for additional evidence or clarification to be provided at a second interview if necessary. As others have pointed out, wives of residents of other countries are not treated this badly/

It will not help your mood to discover (as I did last week) that it is far easier for a European with a Thai wife to visit the UK than it is for a British citizen with a Thai wife to do so.

They can enter under EU citizen's rights rather than the usual immigration regulations.

You are quite right. The right to free movement does not apply in your home country.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment, but either way it does nothing to balance the argument.

AS a to my comment the point was they could if they so wished ask for additional evidence or clarification to be provided at a second interview if necessary. As others have pointed out, wives of residents of other countries are not treated this badly/

I don't wish to appear abrupt but the rules are clear at the outset, present your case and wait for a verdict, that received, there is no second interview or second chance, you must repeat the process. My advice is to get over it all and to move on.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lot of talk about "interview", there is normally no interview by UKVI.

AFAIK the appointment at VFS is to submit the application and take biometrics, ONLY, this is not a interview and nothing of any conversation is passed on to UKVI.

Yes, I thought interviews for visitor's visas had been stopped for a long time now.