Change of scenery

essexman

After living in Thailand 4 years now, and the past 18 months in Jomtien, I quite fancy a change. To be honest, Jomtien is beginning to lose its appeal. I rent a lovely studio apartment on a nice complex, but soon as I go out, well the traffic gets worse by the day. They are over building here and not doing anything to the infrastructure to support the thousands of condos being built.

So my wife has always said she would like to live in Chiang Mai. In the past I have not warmed to the idea, as I like being near a beach. However when I really think about it, I don't actually go to the beach much these days.

I still have 6 months left on my contract here, so have a bit of time. I think I should make a trip to Chiang Mai for a few days to get the lay of the land, and to see if its for me.

So I would love to get a few pointers from the members who live there. Places to look out for, and hopefully get some information on places to avoid. The condo rents seem a lot cheaper than Pattaya/Jomtien. So that seems a good plus point.

Any information I would really appreciate.

Avoid Loi Kroh as it attracts all the lowlife (like myself). Well, apart from the odd night out, it has its attractions.

Nimmanheimin is probably the best area to live right now; apart from the traffic problems, which seem to be endemic to that part of town, it has a nice buzz and lots of eateries, drinkeries, etc. all in strolling distance.

Getting around CM is either Songthaew (a little pricier than Pattaya) or TukTuk (negotiable from say 50-150 baht to get to most places in town).

There is an extraordinary choice of food in Chiang Mai, I'm sure I'd double in size if I spent more than six months there.

What do you do to occupy your days in Pattaya? Give us a clue and the kind folk here will surely be able to tell you more than I can about the local attractions.

seems most place that are popular with all and sundry are getting over built and have terrible traffic proplems,chaing mai is going or has all ready gone that way,be suprised if you could fit any more people in nimmanheimin but they keep promoting it.

To be honest, Chiang Mai is beginning to lose its appeal. I rent a lovely apartment on a nice complex, but soon as I go out, well the traffic gets worse by the day. They are over building here and not doing anything to the infrastructure to support the thousands of condos being built. I like being near the mountains. However when I really think about it, I don't actually go to the mountains much these days.

Only kidding, folks, I'm not going anywhere, but I was struck by how by changing a few words in the OP's first paragraph, I realized he could be describing Chiang Mai!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Well I spend my time in Jomtien doing various things really. I do a couple of different walks, one being a morning walk with some fellow residents, its brisk and you can drop out anytime, most do an hour. I usually have a swim after. By then I'm starving so have breakfast. I belong to a gym, so amble down there till lunch. I meet the wife for lunch .. Usually somewhere local as she has to get back to work. I have a circle of friends and I usually meet up with one or two of them in the afternoon. I watch Pattaya FC when they are playing at home, or away if within an hours drive. 90% of the time I get around on the scooter, occasionally get the car out .. But as previously mentioned, the traffic is very bad here, so it is occasionally.

When I came to Jomtien I knew 2 people. One I see now and again, the other I hardly ever hear from. But I met new people, and feel I could move and enjoy a new environment. I know I need to have a few days in Chiang Mai, get the lay of the land, see if its for me. I don't want to move to a village or anything like that. I need to be in a town and what goes with that. My wife is keen as well, so why not.

i suppose its the benefit of renting ... I can move and live anywhere. Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming.

If you have a car, rent a house in a moo baan (prefer north of the city) unless you must live in a city environment..

Plenty of public pools for swimming...Golf, biking hiking, tennis and canoeing avaialble as well...

Think about keeping your place during the air pollution months (Jan - April) but the rest of the time can be quite nice..Okay minus May and June due to heat and humidity...

CB

just a comment on nimmanheiman road though there is some nice bars and resturants in the area,it is a thai enclave,and there is a few night clubs, discos, bars were they really dont make farangs feel welcome in them.(ie warm up, infinity monkey club cafe club, and a few more,)but saying that its a good relaxing night out in most places,if you enjoy thai people.

just a comment on nimmanheiman road though there is some nice bars and resturants in the area,it is a thai enclave,and there is a few night clubs, discos, bars were they really dont make farangs feel welcome in them.(ie warm up, infinity monkey club cafe club, and a few more,)but saying that its a good relaxing night out in most places,if you enjoy thai people.

They are aimed at Thais so why would you want to go there anyway? Having said that, I'm too old for nightclubs, but I've never felt unwelcome in Warm Up or Monkey - dress smart, be polite, speak a bit of Thai and spend some money - they'll treat you like any other customer. Only older.

biggrin.png

Well I spend my time in Jomtien doing various things really. I do a couple of different walks, one being a morning walk with some fellow residents, its brisk and you can drop out anytime, most do an hour. I usually have a swim after. By then I'm starving so have breakfast. I belong to a gym, so amble down there till lunch. I meet the wife for lunch .. Usually somewhere local as she has to get back to work. I have a circle of friends and I usually meet up with one or two of them in the afternoon. I watch Pattaya FC when they are playing at home, or away if within an hours drive. 90% of the time I get around on the scooter, occasionally get the car out .. But as previously mentioned, the traffic is very bad here, so it is occasionally.

When I came to Jomtien I knew 2 people. One I see now and again, the other I hardly ever hear from. But I met new people, and feel I could move and enjoy a new environment. I know I need to have a few days in Chiang Mai, get the lay of the land, see if its for me. I don't want to move to a village or anything like that. I need to be in a town and what goes with that. My wife is keen as well, so why not.

i suppose its the benefit of renting ... I can move and live anywhere. Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming.

Actually Chiang Mai has a lot of nice places spread around the town. As has been mentioned there are many new condos going up.

I would recommend you spend two weeks here and get a chance to explore all the different areas and residences.

Yes the traffic is getting worse and they are building Gasdfzilion condos. A lot of them are not fully occupied. Also a lot of them are not being completed. You might also want to look into a house.

• Like 1

To be honest, Chiang Mai is beginning to lose its appeal. I rent a lovely apartment on a nice complex, but soon as I go out, well the traffic gets worse by the day. They are over building here and not doing anything to the infrastructure to support the thousands of condos being built. I like being near the mountains. However when I really think about it, I don't actually go to the mountains much these days.

Only kidding, folks, I'm not going anywhere, but I was struck by how by changing a few words in the OP's first paragraph, I realized he could be describing Chiang Mai!

No matter where you go, there you are...

I don't recall having seen one sign in Russian in CNX. The beauty of the Chinese girls almost makes up for the horrendous driving of the Chinese, but bad drivers have plenty of company.

A lot of the relatively congested areas of CNX don't have all the barking dog noise you would get in a rental house in the suburbs, and you can also do without the motorbike/car and probably live longer over-all. We had a poster on here last month, who had just moved himself and his motorbike up from Krabi. He may have actually made it two weeks before he crashed....

I am only acquainted with three Russians in CNX. All three are very nice people. A good percentage of the Russian women in Jomtien are stunners.

We have a poster here, or maybe hundreds, who ride motorbikes here and haven't crashed. So?

So my wife has always said she would like to live in Chiang Mai. In the past I have not warmed to the idea, as I like being near a beach. However when I really think about it, I don't actually go to the beach much these days.

I still have 6 months left on my contract here, so have a bit of time.

In that case I would just sit tight for now, and see if you and your wife will let you extend the contract. No point in making plans now if you're on your own anyway in six months. But if still together then just visit Chiang Mai for an extended visit and see how you like it.

In that case I would just sit tight for now, and see if you and your wife will let you extend the contract. No point in making plans now if you're on your own anyway in six months. But if still together then just visit Chiang Mai for an extended visit and see how you like it.

Eh?

• Like 2

I really haven't a clue what your on about? I'm very happily married. Yes we could extend our rental contract here, but as I mentioned in my original post, we fancy a change, for various reasons. I also mentioned I intend to make a visit to see if I like the place.

I shouldn't think the traffic and the driving standards are any worse in Chiang Mai, than what I encounter each day in the Jomtien, Pattaya area.

When I came to Pattaya 18 months ago, I really didn't know the area very well. I rented a lovely apartment on a really nice complex. However the location was not that good. After 6 months I moved to where I am now. So as I have some time, I thought it would be good to do some research before I visit. What better than ask the members who actually live in Chiang Mai for the areas to look out for.

Thank you to the members who have posted.

WinnieTheKhwai, you lost me with your post?

^ I would actually look at houses. Condo rents may be slightly cheaper than Pattaya, but for a house with a garden and a lot more space the price really is a lot lower than Pattaya. Plus, in Pattaya, the condos at least tend to be in reasonable locations with plenty public transport passing near the front door, and/or walking distance to things. Many Chang Mai condos (esp. the affordable ones) can be a bit in the middle of nowhere.

But when sticking to condos, I'd look for something near the old town or riverside area. That includes not just condos but also larger apartment buildings that you rent by the month. (Such as Life in Town or Smith Residence). It's always a major challenge though to find something with a little more space than a studio or 1BR.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1