Disk Clean Up With Revo Uninstaller

chiangrai

Hi,

I had a post a while back were I asked advice on how to remove stubborn programs.I was advised to use Revo uninstaller.

I see that Revo can also take over other Windows actions like disk defragmentation and systems restore.

Can it take over disk clean up,if so how do you do it.If not does any one recommend a program that does do a better job than windows at disk clean up.

Much obliged as always

Hi Chiangrai, I have used Revo installer for quite a few years,and it does a great job of

uninstalling unwanted programs,first it does a normal removal,then i click on advanced

and it gets rid of all the left over registry bits.

Never used it for disk cleaning or fragmentation, find CCleaner and Defraggler both by

same company do a very good job of keeping everything in order,if you get CCleaner

go to Snapfiles and get the ccleaner (slim version) you will also find Defraggler there,

I also use Eusing free registry cleaner,also at Snapfiles.com. for system restore i use

a handy little program called, Restore point creator ,its also free (google it)pin it to taskbar

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Worgeordie - you give a lot of decent advice here. What do you reckon about running Defraggler over a win7 partition on an ssd?

I suspect the windows tool could bust th whole ssd. Cheers, AA

Worgeordie - you give a lot of decent advice here. What do you reckon about running Defraggler over a win7 partition on an ssd?

I suspect the windows tool could bust th whole ssd. Cheers, AA

From what i gather it is not recommended to defrag a SSD, as can shorten its life or cause

damage,i don't defrag my SSD, but do on HDD.

regards worgeordie

Defragging a SSD is not required (or recommended) since there is no mechanical seek time of 10 to 12ms common on spinning platter drives...seek time on a SSD is usually less than 0.1ms...practically non existent. My Samsung 840EVO SSD has a seek time of around 0.05ms...seek time practically don't exist regardless of where data is located on the SSD. So, defragging provides no performance benefits on a SSD. Additionally, defrag creates a lot "write" actions as it unnecessary moves data around on a SSD...and you want to avoid unnecessary write actions on a SSD to extend their lifespan since there are a limited amount of writes allowed per memory cell...but the number of writes allowed is far more than the average person would ever reach in a couple decades of use. Summary: no use defrag on a SSD.

Edited by Pib

I occasionally use Revo to clean up junk files. However this is not a system cleaner. I use Wise Disc Cleaner for that, Whatever program you use, there is always the risk of having something important deleted, so you would expect a system restore point to be created before you start cleaning.

A disc defrag isn't black magic, I always used the Windows defrag, as does Revo I believe, the defrag button is just a shortcut.