The Londoner is closing

millwall_fan

I wonder if the owner will seek another underground dungeon to relocate to! Reminds me of when the Thermae relocated in the nineties, from one underground location you could enter through the toilets to another underground location entering through the toilets!

I read today that the new location will be owner-occupied premises in Pattanakarn Rd (off Petchaburi Rd). So unlikely to be underground this time.

Seems like a questionable location if target clientelle are well to do expats?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Indeed, I prefer my local pub to be within walking distance from home or the office and Pattanakarn would likely be inconvenient for most of their old patrons including myself (it's good news for the Royal Oak and The Robin Hood I guess with less competition).

Suits me just fine....looks like the pubs are relocating to me at last....heh heh

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A greedy landlord who refused a new lease to Londoner is the sad reason for closing and moving.
They will reopen on land they will own.
I love the BIGBOY BAND.

That's not strictly true - though the sentiment is: John wanted to replace the air conditioners which were old and costing a fortune in electric. All he wanted was a decent rent discount from the landlord until it was paid off. In john's own words the paltry discount the Chinese/Thai (his words) offered would have taken him 75 years to pay back!!

I had a bad pint of Guinness in the dark hole of a pub never went back, if your paying 400 baht for a pint of the black stuff, twice the price of Ireland you would expect the staff to know how to pour Guinness. It was a Tourist Trap and a Fools watering HOLE!

Glad to hear this news!

Up to you. You didn't go to The Londoner to drink Guinness, but their fine microbrew - which might not have won any CAMRA awards but was bloody decent for Thailand.

Isn't the old fella who runs /owns The Londoner minted? Owns some O&G Company?

RAZZ

He's certainly not going be needing charity or visiting soup-kitchens, but this always was a love of good beer and rugby for him and in that I empathise 100%!

A Thai friend inquired with the landlord's agent today about putting in an F&B establishment in The Londoner space at UBC2 basement. Was advised that both McDonalds and MaxValue have already expressed interest. (The rental sought is apparently 650 baht psm p/mth). With the 7-11 opposite having closed down earlier this year, seems like it may ending becoming a MaxValue outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I never thought much of the beer, to be honest, especially for the price.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You must be a real cheapskate then! 165 Baht by current Thai standards is pretty good value and the happy hour price 3-7 everyday- of 107 Baht was a steal as was 87 baht a pint on Wednesday evenings.

We're hoping to get down there this evening for a few farewell pints.

That's not strictly true - though the sentiment is: John wanted to replace the air conditioners which were old and costing a fortune in electric. All he wanted was a decent rent discount from the landlord until it was paid off.

I've never had a landlord for a business space in Thailand that would have gone for that. It is usually take it like it is and provide any upgrades yourself. Maybe Bangkok is different because the rents are so high?

That's not strictly true - though the sentiment is: John wanted to replace the air conditioners which were old and costing a fortune in electric. All he wanted was a decent rent discount from the landlord until it was paid off.

I've never had a landlord for a business space in Thailand that would have gone for that. It is usually take it like it is and provide any upgrades yourself. Maybe Bangkok is different because the rents are so high?

As you say, UG, these grotesque rental agreements are massively skewed in favour of the landlords. Maybe its just a case that John is big enough to say no and move on - he owns the premises at his new location on Petchaburi road so wont be in thrall to this kind of unscrupulous business practice.

Anybody mention the Black Swan yet? Or Iron Maiden? Witches Tavern? - I actually like the beer at Tawan Daeng.

Sent from my A 8+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Witches went shit when they forgot they weren't a gastropub on the banks of the Thames in Middlesex. Now it has pretensions beyond it's reality. Twas once a decent pub in Bangkok, since they got all the 'Blues and Jazz" nonsense going on it all seemed to go badly wrong.

There is no "Iron Maiden" Pub in Bangkok, would be far too suable a breach of copyright even here.....

Sorry, I mean Iron Fairies.

Went to The Londoner last night with Mrs. Millwall_fan and Junior and is was heaving! Good beer, a portion of their excellent steak 'n kidney pie, bumped into a few old friends and even the Thais singing Western songs weren't bad - or was it just the beer that made them sound OK! Everything a pub should be! Now where to transfer my allegiance after next Wednesday?

1. Good beer - a bitter on draught at a reasonable price.

2. A good atmosphere and a 'hands on' Farang landlord.

3. Good Western food.

Thats about it really. Any ideas?

Go back to the UK?

Why? I have lived and worked in Thailand for 10 years and am quite happy here. I am a Brit though and occasionally I enjoy the trappings of home in a British pub- just as I enjoy an Indian Vindaloo or a Korean Bulgogi.

You may be happy eating Somtam and noodles and drinking Beer Chang every night; I prefer some variety.

Go back to the UK?

Better off in Thailand if you want a landlord...mostly crappy chain pubs now in the UK.

Where my dad lives in North Yorkshire, they mainly have 'proper' landlords - and nice ale! There is a Wetherspoons in Whitby now but I understand that all they've done is soak up the riff-raff with their cheap prices leaving an even more pleasant atmosphere for everyone else!

Was this the one which moved from Suk near Soi 22 (Washinton Square)a few years ago ?

No, you're probably talking about the Dubliner, now on soi 33/1.

Sadly nowhere near as good as the Washington Square location in my opinion. I went once and never returned. Maybe I'll give it another try.

A soulless dark dungeon popular with TEFLr types, wont be missed.

Have tasted better tasting "home brew" than what was on offer.

I don't want to put words in the mouth of the brewmaster but he explained to a bunch of us one night that he could move the beer more toward western tastes but the Thai customers won't like it anymore. And Thais/Indians/other Asians make up easily 70% of the Londoner customer base most nights of the week. That's no exaggeration.

Interesting bit, how did the owner manage to brew his own beer? Always thought that was outlawed in Thailand?

Obviously not. It's brewed on site since it opened.

Another Thai urban legend perpetuated by the ThaiVisa rumor-mongers.

The 5-star Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen brews it's own beer, and has done so for more than 10 years.

A soulless dark dungeon popular with TEFLr types, wont be missed.

Have tasted better tasting "home brew" than what was on offer.

I don't want to put words in the mouth of the brewmaster but he explained to a bunch of us one night that he could move the beer more toward western tastes but the Thai customers won't like it anymore. And Thais/Indians/other Asians make up easily 70% of the Londoner customer base most nights of the week. That's no exaggeration.

Ah - that may well explain it!

To me, the "Bitter" at the Londoner was always - literally - undrinkable, tried on 2 occasions then just gave up on it after less than half a glass.

Food - great. Service ditto (well usually!).

But the "Home Brew" always smelt perfumed to my senses - and definitely not what any Brit would call "Bitter".

Patrick

Interesting bit, how did the owner manage to brew his own beer? Always thought that was outlawed in Thailand?

The 5-star Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen brews it's own beer, and has done so for more than 10 years.

The Londoner bought the license in the late 1990s, when it was cheaper. Apparently now it's 10 million baht! Talk about non-tariff barriers! (Then there's the imported hops etc. that I'm sure will be tariffed beyond imagination.) Good luck. Even if you have the money, I doubt you could get one because the Thais will block it every which way to protect their virtual monopoly market. If you want to open a brew pub, go to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, anywhere but Thailand.

No urban legends or myths, you just need proper permits to open a micro brewery in Thailand. It was discussed on previous pages.

No urban legends or myths, you just need proper permits to open a micro brewery in Thailand. It was discussed on previous pages.

Brewing "outlawed" vs. "needing a permit." Apples & oranges.

"Outlawed" is an overstatement, thus falling into the rumor-monger's territory.

Londonder used to be my regular 4-5 years ago but slowly began to go to Robin hood pub more often-closer to bts, better atmosphere because always more people there after work and good people watching since it looks out on to sukhumvit. , I couldn't drink the londoner home brew but have to say the londoner's food was great (served excellent Thai food!)

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Archived