The Londoner is closing

millwall_fan

He isn't closing ... he is moving. Bourbon Street did this quite successfully.

this may be true, however i quite enjoyed a hangover at the old bourbon street, have never seen the new one.

same with woodstock, never made it to their new location, but had many a hangover pint at the original.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a few people who will be wandering the streets lost when this happens lol

LOL.

I been wandering ever since the Offshore closed and waiting for the Ship in to reopen.

Its OPEN,, I think Doi will name it Fish n Ship LOL

Staff and food as good as ever

Great.

Have they retained Ray as well?

its a shame about ray.

S**t, only recently got introduced to this place, fine ale, great food.

Hopefully the new venue will have the same.

You did? Not by me, as far as I recall.

Nope, the office IT man and the other Steve who's apartment electrics I sorted.

I wonder if the owner will seek another underground dungeon to relocate to! Reminds me of when the Thermae relocated in the nineties, from one underground location you could enter through the toilets to another underground location entering through the toilets!

I've never been so will have to wait for the new place to open. Just to let you know there is a thread of British Beers in Thailand that I started in December that might well show you that there are many more options than we all previously realised. It started as news that Villa was stocking some fine ales then it grew from there. We've just passed 300 posts with only 1 troll so far...not too shabby for TV smile.png

Enjoy the thread and the beers.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691531-british-real-ale-lovers-happy-christmas-from-villa-market/

As a homebrewer, (damn good one) I've often wondered how it is done in Thailand, as there are no malts, yeasts, or any other sundries available. Tell me if I'm wrong please, but did these guys malt their own barley? Is there a way to be a home brewer in Thailand without becoming a maltster?

I'm not a home-brewer YET. However I do know of a couple of people who are. On the thread I mentioned there is reference to Chit Beer on Ko Kret (turn left off the boat, walk 10 minutes). I know he ships his in from the US. However I do know a few people shipping supplies in from Singapore where there is an excellent supplier.

http://www.ibrew.com.sg/

My main concern is that I can't think of many places which have successfully survived or replicate their previous sucess after a major relocation in BKK.

Woodstock's bizarre quantum leap across Sukhumwit from the Heart of Bangkok's best nightlife area (which NEP undisputedly was from 95-05), to become a soulless run-of--the-mill typical sterile, overpriced expat haunt tucked away in some obscure Thong Lor sub soi.springs to mind.

It went from a bar which always featured in the best bars in SEAsia in the ptress and forums at that time, (Very well run - especially in the late 1990s to the early/mid 2000s when the English guy from Notts was in charge (Andy?) - superbly staffed, when Crazy Ping was at the helm, and with an excellent music policy to boot).

Woodstock could boast a loyal resident expat and long termer clientèle; virtually all of who would make it their first port of call after crossing continents. Great place. Shame they've died a death too now. Although the new one wasn't my cup of Darjeeling at all, it was nice to pop in and chat with some of the girls from the 'good old days' from time to time.

I had a bad pint of Guinness in the dark hole of a pub never went back, if your paying 400 baht for a pint of the black stuff, twice the price of Ireland you would expect the staff to know how to pour Guinness. It was a Tourist Trap and a Fools watering HOLE!

Glad to hear this news!

Will miss the Londoner... I usually stay round the corner and have a few beers every time I have business in Bangkok... It was a refreshing break from the sleaze of Soi Cowboy/Nana and the associated farang pond life..

Where else now can I take a non perverted business associate for a few bevvies?

Will miss the Londoner... I usually stay round the corner and have a few beers every time I have business in Bangkok... It was a refreshing break from the sleaze of Soi Cowboy/Nana and the associated farang pond life..

The Robin Hood. The Royal Oak. The Dubliner. No Idea. All within a few hundred yards.

About brewing beer: A properly registered company can get a licence for a micro-brewery. You won't be allowed to sell for consumption outside of your premises (bar).

I haven't heard about a licence being issued for private home brewing.

And I sincerely doubt that the big breweries will stop him from opening a new place. His market share in Thailand will be so small that they don't even notice him.

Sent from my A 8+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Robin Hood. The Royal Oak. The Dubliner. No Idea. All within a few hundred yards.

Thanks for that, always treading on eggshells when meeting clients in Bangkok!

Was in there earlier this evening and got the news from some of the staff who said they'd be taking just short break and receiving full salary for the duration. So, I'm not sure that's right we'll be waiting till November. Hope not, great beer they make, none better is made in Thailand.

Anybody mention the Black Swan yet? Or Iron Maiden? Witches Tavern? - I actually like the beer at Tawan Daeng.

Witches went shit when they forgot they weren't a gastropub on the banks of the Thames in Middlesex. Now it has pretensions beyond it's reality. Twas once a decent pub in Bangkok, since they got all the 'Blues and Jazz" nonsense going on it all seemed to go badly wrong.

There is no "Iron Maiden" Pub in Bangkok, would be far too suable a breach of copyright even here.....

Anybody mention the Black Swan yet? Or Iron Maiden? Witches Tavern? - I actually like the beer at Tawan Daeng.

Witches went shit when they forgot they weren't a gastropub on the banks of the Thames in Middlesex. Now it has pretensions beyond it's reality. Twas once a decent pub in Bangkok, since they got all the 'Blues and Jazz" nonsense going on it all seemed to go badly wrong.

There is no "Iron Maiden" Pub in Bangkok, would be far too suable a breach of copyright even here.....

Witches is gone. Building demolished and surrounding apartment/house to make way for another big serviced apartment

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No Idea is a great spot, haven't been in The Robin Hood for ages, and not ever been in The Dubliner

I LOVE the No Idea pub.....much nicer decor than many of the "dark wood" places, great food, reasonably priced Guinness. I enjoy a few pints on the outdoor deck every time I'm in Bangkok. Nice Kiwi owner too.

Was in there earlier this evening and got the news from some of the staff who said they'd be taking just short break and receiving full salary for the duration. So, I'm not sure that's right we'll be waiting till November. Hope not, great beer they make, none better is made in Thailand.

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more, I don't think the two beers brewed on the premises are anything special at all. I can just about stomach their pilsner but the bitter is way off the mark.

Far, far better beers can be found at Tawan Daeng in Bangkok, the Hilton's microbrewery in Hua Hin, Hopf in Pattaya, the Pullman Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai's brew pub place.... Not only are they better, they also have more beers to choose from.

Top marks for the Londoner's food though smile.png

I wonder if the owner will seek another underground dungeon to relocate to! Reminds me of when the Thermae relocated in the nineties, from one underground location you could enter through the toilets to another underground location entering through the toilets!

I read today that the new location will be owner-occupied premises in Pattanakarn Rd (off Petchaburi Rd). So unlikely to be underground this time.

I read today that the new location will be owner-occupied premises in Pattanakarn Rd (off Petchaburi Rd). So unlikely to be underground this time.

Seems like a questionable location if target clientelle are well to do expats?

Seems like a questionable location if target clientelle are well to do expats?

Indeed, I prefer my local pub to be within walking distance from home or the office and Pattanakarn would likely be inconvenient for most of their old patrons including myself (it's good news for the Royal Oak and The Robin Hood I guess with less competition).

No Idea is a great spot, haven't been in The Robin Hood for ages, and not ever been in The Dubliner

I LOVE the No Idea pub.....much nicer decor than many of the "dark wood" places, great food, reasonably priced Guinness. I enjoy a few pints on the outdoor deck every time I'm in Bangkok. Nice Kiwi owner too.

Yes everything is good about it....except when they run out of lamb shank!

Archived