How to Wai properly - as suggested by a Thai.

David48

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... the most pathetic thing is westerners wai-ing to other westererners.

agreed ... that's fairly sad.

Only seen that once done correctly (not by me) ... the white guy was a Monk ... long time.

Then, the orange over-ruled the white.

• Like 2

Thanks, David, great video... should be mandatory on all international flights to Thailand... maybe instead of the boring security presentations ;-)

I hope, you never come across an emergency during your flights and then I will tell you what is more important, how to save your life or how to wai.

• Like 2

Thanks, David, great video... should be mandatory on all international flights to Thailand... maybe instead of the boring security presentations ;-)

I hope, you never come across an emergency during your flights and then I will tell you what is more important, how to save your life or how to wai.

nothing to worry... if their is an emergency during the flight,

... either the staff has time to tell you AGAIN all you need to know and follow

... or the emergency comes so fast that you will be dead before you really know it...

EDIT: and if you survive the emergeny, then at least you know how to wai properly for the pilot who just saved your ass... wai.gifgiggle.gif

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 1

To Wai or not to wai ... I don't but who cares?

But of course David48 only created this topic to introduce Ms. Mod to us. Good on you mate, please start some more topics where her pics are relevant. 1 example to get you going "how to bargain, in English or Thai" with pics of Ms. Mod's lesson to count to 10.

Gonna start to learn Thai as of now.

You could have warned about the subliminal messaging. I kept hearing Miss Mod's voice in my head. "HD. you WILL give me a baby" over and over....

Your mind's ear needs a hearing aid. The voice was clearly saying "Seastallion" not "HD".

• Like 2

I am on a Wai fest today, as at a government organised conference.

Still find it a hilarious that see tourists and we xpats waing bar staff, other westerners and security guards.

Good thread though.

Edited by snottgoblin

I do not wai now or ever.

BillyBob ... I respect that.

As a Westener, it's mostly not expected of us.

... and, if, when it might be expected (a wai) and we don't, the Thais forgive that as an oversight.

I must admit I do, but I try and pick the moment.

Those moments are usually reserved for meeting the gf's Parents after a long absence (I split my time between both countries), the Monk if I approach and ... and .. well, that's about it.

Maybe an elder relative of my gf's.

I do not wai now or ever.

Just out of curiosity, why not? Your choice and I'm not having a go at anyone.

I think Thais always really appreciate it when a westerner makes the effort to wai when they do it in the correct situation.

They do. That's why I like it when farang don't do it....it puts me in better stead. wink.png

To Wai or not to wai ... I don't but who cares?

But of course David48 only created this topic to introduce Ms. Mod to us. Good on you mate, please start some more topics where her pics are relevant. 1 example to get you going "how to bargain, in English or Thai" with pics of Ms. Mod's lesson to count to 10.

Gonna start to learn Thai as of now.

Ouch ... you judge me to harshly my friend.

But, I will admit, Miss Mod, she is easy on the eye ... licklips.gif

Truth be known ... I really struggle with language.

At Uni, I topped my state in quantitative analysis, but crap with language ... just doesn't stick.

Just proves that brains doesn't make you smart.

So I watched and watched her, till, like a school boy, I could utter or stutter a few words of Thai.

Took me half a day to be tone perfect on this.

'Shall we go eat rice together?'

It worked ... got laid that night ... laugh.png

Mind you, not a difficult achievement in Thailand ... but she was cute.

Hi MissFarmGirl if you are reading ... how are the boys ... whistling.gif

I read it was ok to give a one handed wai to kids and maids

I gave a one-handed wai to a driver yesterday who let me through a line of traffic. He seemed to appreciate it. I was on a bicycle, so had one hand on the handlebar. I have seen one-handed wais whenever someone has to wai but can only get one hand free, so not just kids and maids, but among friends and neighbors as well.

The one (important) situation they missed is the wai'ing to friends or siblings or partners of friends. My gf will wai to friends-of-friends she does not know well; her friends will sometimes wai to me as well (and no, it's not an age thing smile.png )

I keep telling my Indian friend to stop wai'ing in response to hotel and restaurant staff, but he gets too much of a kick out of it. [And he loves to remind me that the wai originated in India].

• Like 1

I read it was ok to give a one handed wai to kids and maids

I gave a one-handed wai to a driver yesterday who let me through a line of traffic. He seemed to appreciate it. I was on a bicycle, so had one hand on the handlebar. I have seen one-handed wais whenever someone has to wai but can only get one hand free, so not just kids and maids, but among friends and neighbors as well.

I think that if you are waiing a toddler or a midget, you can bend the fingers