What is your bike and experience level?

My current bike(scooter, is the Honda Forza 300, awesome scooter, very comfortable and perfect for me being automatic, cheap to maintain and a very reasonable purchase price.

My experience level is very high at speeds up to and below 120kph, I have only had two low speed accidents in 45 yrs of riding, I am not comfortable and have no experience at driving at speeds above 120kph, I have on two occasions in my life driven at 200kph this was just to see what it was like, I did not like it and have never driven at that speed again(this was in the UK on a Honda Super-blackbird 1100cc and the Honda CBR1000RR, I have driven many high powered bikes here and in the UK again none have I ever taken above 120kph accept for the two times I have mentioned, all my bikes previous to my Forza have been manual gear, I am now purely an automatic rider as I just can't cope with constantly changing gear in traffic.

In over 5 yrs driving here I have only ever worn tee shirt, shorts and flip flops/crocs, open face helmet no gloves, accident free, just lately and purely because I'm getting older I have taken to wearing a Tachai jacket, gloves and have just ordered a full face helmet, I still ride in shorts and flip flops, it's not good but it's my choice and it's what I am comfortable in, if I am ever forced to by a change in law to ride in full expensive riding protection I will simply give up bikes.

Everyone that rides in full gear is doing the right thing but again it's personnel choice, if I were to ride at high speeds the wearing off full protective gear would be the right thing to do, I choose to ride at low speeds and am confident(not over confident, that I will remain accident free, I like all riders have no control of being hit from behind, head on or from the side, no gear on this planet will save any of us from this, I enjoy my riding immensely and hope to continue for many yrs to come, safe riding to all!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i own a honda wave 125x which i am sure tells you a lot about my experience level.

And i like to ride naked although i am a conservative! rider bc i like fresh and cool air on my balls.

I dont care about accidents and live my life on hourly basis.

At last some people who are not taking this forum too seriously!!

To the OP. It is purely your choice what you wish to wear when riding. It's all about your perception of risk management, the importance of comfort vs skin rash, broken jaw bone etc etc. Not talking here about head on collisions at high speeds (> 120 kmh) - at these speeds, the helmet's the most important piece of equipment.

You are right to not think that accidents won't happen to you (unlike some other posters). The only question that remains then is how much injury you are willing to endure, knowing very well that the more safety gear you have, the less injuries you are likely to have. Only you can answer that question as it's your own body.

• Like 1

i own a honda wave 125x which i am sure tells you a lot about my experience level.

And i like to ride naked although i am a conservative! rider bc i like fresh and cool air on my balls.

just adding a little bit humor alwayssunny.

i am not here to offend you and sorry if you are offended.

keep the shiny side up my friend.

just adding a little bit humor alwayssunny.

i am not here to offend you and sorry if you are offended.

keep the shiny side up my friend.

No I'm not offended and a little bit if humor is great!!

To the OP. It is purely your choice what you wish to wear when riding. It's all about your perception of risk management, the importance of comfort vs skin rash, broken jaw bone etc etc. Not talking here about head on collisions at high speeds (> 120 kmh) - at these speeds, the helmet's the most important piece of equipment.

You are right to not think that accidents won't happen to you (unlike some other posters). The only question that remains then is how much injury you are willing to endure, knowing very well that the more safety gear you have, the less injuries you are likely to have. Only you can answer that question as it's your own body.

Yes I do think an accident could happen at any time but I have to be comfortable otherwise riding a bike is just horrible, I really do not want to have any injury and that is why I drive the way I do, as you already know I do not ever go above 100kph sometimes 120kph if overtaking but rarely, I have only had two minor accidents in 45 yrs of riding bikes so I am rightly confident(not overly confident that I will remain safe, I will not be able to avoid head on's, being rear ended or being side swiped but that is the same for all of us, my speed everyday here on Phuket is between 40/80kph the higher speed is always on a straight clear road, my concentration is 100% whilst driving, yes I have made mistakes but have always avoided a situation because of my speed, hopefully that will continue, as far as gear goes I now have a Tachai jacket(no where near as good as brands like Alpinestars but it's adequate for me, I wear cheap gloves that will give some protection, I am waiting for my full face LS2 crash helmet to arrive, I am very happy to ride in heavyish combat shorts and Crocs(I am looking for some high trainers to replace the crocs or flip flops, maybe one day I will have a bad set too and will wish I had been wearing expensive full gear but for now and the future I am a very happy rider.

Note; I have huge hands and find it impossible to find quality leather gloves that fit, because of my strange feet I am unable to wear motorcycle boots, I just can't get them on!!

If I offend anyone on these threads I apologize, I don't take everything so seriously!!

Edited by Alwayssunny

With all due respect I would suggest you drive a car or truck if your max speed is 120 your normal speed will be around 60. Forzas and the like are unstable at the best of times with their big bodies and small wheels and they are crap at corners. Not that I've ever ridden one but I just have to look at it to see.

With all due respect I would suggest you drive a car or truck if your max speed is 120 your normal speed will be around 60. Forzas and the like are unstable at the best of times with their big bodies and small wheels and they are crap at corners. Not that I've ever ridden one but I just have to look at it to see.

No that is not true at all, they handle very well and corner very well too, do you think driving at 60mph is slow? The speed limit here is 55mph or 90kph!

You make assumptions about a bike you have never ridden only seen? The Forza is a truly great scooter!

Edited by Alwayssunny

No that is not true at all, they handle very well and corner very well too, do you think driving at 60mph is slow? The speed limit here is 55mph or 90kph!

You make assumptions about a bike you have never ridden only seen? The Forza is a truly great scooter!

Well I'm sorry but it looks like a pregnant Vespa to me and I would still be in 2nd gear at 90 kph. Is there a speed limit?

Well I'm sorry but it looks like a pregnant Vespa to me and I would still be in 2nd gear at 90 kph. Is there a speed limit?

It might look like a pregnant Vespa to you but I can assure you it's an excellent bike, yes of course there is a speed limit but like most other things here it is mostly not enforced, you are in second gear at 90kph on a racing track I am assuming?

I've done over 250 on Silom and over 300 on highways. You can't get up to 300 on Bira. Not that I know of anyway.

You done 300kph on Thai public roads? what if you hit a hole or someone pulls out in front of you, at that speed your reaction time is very small! I can't imagine ever going that fast it's a recipe for disaster!

• Like 2

Actually the speed limits ive seen is 120km/h ,Saying that its quite rare to see any signage relating to any speeds .

I've never seen a speed limit sign, I said 90kph because that's the speed limit on the one major road here in Phuket!

I've done over 250 on Silom and over 300 on highways. You can't get up to 300 on Bira. Not that I know of anyway.

You done 300kph on Thai public roads? what if you hit a hole or someone pulls out in front of you, at that speed your reaction time is very small! I can't imagine ever going that fast it's a recipe for disaster!

Once you get over about 280 on a long straight highway it's a very strange feeling. It's like time slows down. It's weird.

Once you get over about 280 on a long straight highway it's a very strange feeling. It's like time slows down. It's weird.

Yes it would as you are close to breaking the sound barrier, if you come off at those speeds your expensive protective gear will not save you as you will undoubtably hit a static object of some description lets hope you do not involve any people when this happens, I prey it doesn't but at that crazy speed it is inevitable at some point, good luck with your riding!!

Edited by Alwayssunny

Yes it would as you are close to breaking the sound barrier, if you come off at those speeds your expensive protective gear will not save you as you will undoubtably hit a static object of some description lets hope you do not involve any people when this happens, I prey it doesn't but at that crazy speed it is inevitable at some point, good luck with your riding!!

Thanks for your concern. Ride safe and get some decent gear. I was only yanking your chain about the Forza. Good Luck.

Thanks for your concern. Ride safe and get some decent gear. I was only yanking your chain about the Forza. Good Luck.

Cheers mate and please slow down!

By the same token, wearing only shorts and flip flops (or Crocs for that matter) is also a recipe for disaster. At the end of the day, each to their own.

I wonder. I recently saw some youtube clips of some guys hitting 260+ on the back straight in Bira and they were going round in about 1'08" / 1'09". Colin Butler's lap times are around 1'03". I wonder what speed he hits on the back straight.

Been riding motorcycles since 1967.Started out in small trail bikes.Worked my way up.In 79 bought my 1 st Harley never looked back.I ride with long sleeve shirt when possible,long pants,boots.Sunglasses.If I can ride without A helmet than I don't use any.

Accidents.Laid her down A few times.A car rear ended me once.No damage to me.I've been lucky.

This sunny dreamer sounds like a death wish fellow. "Only" 2 accidents! After I broke my shoulder trying to turn at SLOW SPEED on gravel, I have never ridden a bike again. I need only one warning of fate.

Since then, I have asked every motorbike rider I meet and not one has a totally clean accident record; many with broken bones and permanent disabling injuries. I clean up the Thai boys in our family with hydrogen peroxide and watch them wince at no skin from ankle to knee. And, to top it off, they lost one flip flop, too.

If sunny has no dependents, ok. Otherwise, he is wildly irresponsible. Also, he is the kind to zip right in front of my bumper and when I hit him, he will want me to take care of his doctor bills. A fool and his bike are soon parted.

Yes I do think an accident could happen at any time but I have to be comfortable otherwise riding a bike is just horrible, I really do not want to have any injury and that is why I drive the way I do, as you already know I do not ever go above 100kph sometimes 120kph if overtaking but rarely, I have only had two minor accidents in 45 yrs of riding bikes so I am rightly confident(not overly confident that I will remain safe, I will not be able to avoid head on's, being rear ended or being side swiped but that is the same for all of us, my speed everyday here on Phuket is between 40/80kph the higher speed is always on a straight clear road, my concentration is 100% whilst driving, yes I have made mistakes but have always avoided a situation because of my speed, hopefully that will continue, as far as gear goes I now have a Tachai jacket(no where near as good as brands like Alpinestars but it's adequate for me, I wear cheap gloves that will give some protection, I am waiting for my full face LS2 crash helmet to arrive, I am very happy to ride in heavyish combat shorts and Crocs(I am looking for some high trainers to replace the crocs or flip flops, maybe one day I will have a bad set too and will wish I had been wearing expensive full gear but for now and the future I am a very happy rider.

Note; I have huge hands and find it impossible to find quality leather gloves that fit, because of my strange feet I am unable to wear motorcycle boots, I just can't get them on!!

If I offend anyone on these threads I apologize, I don't take everything so seriously!!

I don't zip past anyone, I am in no hurry to get anywhere, what I wear is my choice(I am now starting to wear protection purely because I am getting older and mistakes could happen more easily now, my flip flops will soon be replaced by some quality trainers but my shorts will remain, I am not irresponsible as my actions on the road will not endanger anyone else, yes 2 minor accidents in 45 yrs of biking believe it or don't believe it that is up to you , I have never driven at high speed and that is why my accident history is so good, SPEED KILLS there is no argument to this fact!!

I love riding, I am considerate and think about others, I do not drive fast but always keep up with traffic providing that traffic is not speeding, I am in no hurry to get past anyone and can wait until it is safe to pass without endangering anyone else on the road, patience is something that will save your life, speeding will kill you eventually!!

I must add that in the UK I wore full protection, my 2 minor low speed accidents happened here, no injury to me or the other people involved, both times I was paid out in full by the Thai people involved!!

To a poster, you clean up Thai members of your family because they drive like lunatics on there souped up mopeds, they more than likely drive with no helmet, no gloves, no jacket, wear shorts and flip flops, what do you expect when they are so irresponsible and have no thought for others on the road!! I am passed by these individuals everyday on the school run, they are crazy!!

Edited by Alwayssunny

I have 4 bikes over here, 3 which I ride regularly, A Keyway Superlight 200 (Cruiser), A Liffan 200 dirt bike,a 20 yr old Honda 125 wave with a Thai sidecar attached which I use as a van, & a Kawasaki Kasi 125 scooter which just the family use now. I don't go faster than 90kmh on ordinary roads as any quicker than that you don't have time to dodge potholes, dogs etc. The only time I go faster is on big main roads when I try to keep ahead of the traffic to avoid being cut up by thais all the time. Iv'e done 42500km's in 2 1/2 years here so far & have 1 minor accident where a Thai turned into me as I was overtaking. Iv'e driven bigger bikes for 35 years in the UK & on the whole I'd say it's safer over here as you don't have the same high volume, high speed traffic that you get in the UK, I might feel a bit differently about that if I lived in a City instead of Isaan though, I guess...

I have 4 bikes over here, 3 which I ride regularly, A Keyway Superlight 200 (Cruiser), A Liffan 200 dirt bike,a 20 yr old Honda 125 wave with a Thai sidecar attached which I use as a van, & a Kawasaki Kasi 125 scooter which just the family use now. I don't go faster than 90kmh on ordinary roads as any quicker than that you don't have time to dodge potholes, dogs etc. The only time I go faster is on big main roads when I try to keep ahead of the traffic to avoid being cut up by thais all the time. Iv'e done 42500km's in 2 1/2 years here so far & have 1 minor accident where a Thai turned into me as I was overtaking. Iv'e driven bigger bikes for 35 years in the UK & on the whole I'd say it's safer over here as you don't have the same high volume, high speed traffic that you get in the UK, I might feel a bit differently about that if I lived in a City instead of Isaan though, I guess...

Driving here is fine in Phuket, if you keep your speed down you will never have a problem, drive fast and many things come into play, pot holes, poor road surface, dogs etc, drive fast and you risk your life!!

One big important thing to consider here in fact anywhere, if you are breaking the law and have an accident any insurance you have will be void!!

Edited by Alwayssunny