American Father's Day

junglechef

Father's Day is held on this Sunday, June 15th, in the United States of America. Doubt there's really anything planned here for the occasion but myself and a few other American Dads, with kids of various and/or numerous nationalities, want to celebrate with our families (partly because we feel there's not enough holidays here). I know a dinner at Dukes would fit the bill but maybe the TV brain trust has a few other suggestion, ideas etc. for not only American grub but something appropriate to do.

p.s. I welcome recommendations from USA bashers too

• Like 1

Maybe it would just be best to adjust the family calendar to Thai Father's Day.

For one thing, I love the way that Central Dept store always has their big annual sale on La-Z-Boy recliner chairs the week before Thai Father's Day in December. It just goes to show ya' that Dads are the same the world over. Except the unfortunate Thai Dads have to pay twice as much for La-Z-Boy chairs, even on sale, because of import duties.

• Like 1

Don't worry we celebrate Thai Dad's Day and every other Thai, American, Buddhist, Jewish, a spattering of other religions ( xmas), Valentines Day, the 4 NYEs and don't forget Cinco de Mayo and many more.

As for the lazy boy remark I think that's better to be discussed in person next time I see you!

Oh dear, someone's taking a comment personally.

Actually, I'm tickled every time I see the La-Z-Boy sale at Central. You see, we lived a stone's throw from the La-Z-Boy factory in the U.S. and every Dad (or rather every male over age 25 with a den or TV room) in our area had one. Hubby gets an extreme case of "gotta have" when he sees the sale, but somehow I don't think it would look right in our 88 sq. meter condo with the rest of the wicker furniture from Chang Moi Rd. And besides it would cost more than what we paid for all the rest of the furniture in our place!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

The one thing that bothers me is that when the kids call from North America the phone is not always dependable for clarity or staying connected.

Dreading it this year as I know I am going to get the are you coming back this year for the family reunion speech. They just don't understand that for me a visit is more than family. I have a 10 hour drive North of the border to Sacramento California. Also a three hour drive east of Vancouver.