NBTC set to pay 427 million baht to air World Cup matches on free TV

webfact

CTH pay about $264,000 for each Premier League match.

By my calculations, the government are paying about $203,000 for each World Cup match.

So probably about what RS paid. They've still made some other money out of it, especially as it happened so late.

Poor True.

Why "poor True"? They did a tidy last minute deal to get all 64 matches on their HD channels. I would imagine they've gained a fair number of subscribers and kept more that otherwise were thinking of going.

With the window of opportunity they've had, I very much doubt it. I'm sure they will be out of pocket. In case you haven't noticed, they aren't very good at this TV sh*t, especially when it comes to sport.

Edited by Chicog

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely disgusting. Why the hell should taxpayers have to foot this nonsense. A grotesque misallocation of state funds. I'm so incensed I might dash off a letter to the Nation. Worse, far worse than State funding for Opera and the yarts.

• Like 1

Absolutely disgusting. Why the hell should taxpayers have to foot this nonsense. A grotesque misallocation of state funds. I'm so incensed I might dash off a letter to the Nation. Worse, far worse than State funding for Opera and the yarts.

Yeah, the yarts! Will somebody please think of the yarts.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Whilst I am in full agreement with free movie tickets to see King Naresuan 5 - in fact I believe everyone should be forced to see it, have their wrists stamped proving they have too, as it is Thai and authentic and will therefore bring happiness and harmony - I cannot see anything redeeming in paying people to watch a football competition where a)there is no Thai side playing so a Thai side cannot win - plain stupid that and 2) where there is more than one side so it's possible that your favored side won't win. For the sake of harmony this is not a situation that should be allowed to prevail and if it does prevail it shouldn't be watched let alone watched for free. I'm livid with anger.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Whilst I am in full agreement with free movie tickets to see King Naresuan 5 - in fact I believe everyone should be forced to see it, have their wrists stamped proving they have too, as it is Thai and authentic and will therefore bring happiness and harmony - I cannot see anything redeeming in paying people to watch a football competition where a)there is no Thai side playing so a Thai side cannot win - plain stupid that and 2) where there is more than one side so it's possible that your favored side won't win. For the sake of harmony this is not a situation that should be allowed to prevail and if it does prevail it shouldn't be watched let alone watched for free. I'm livid with anger.

What???? No Thai team playing in Brasil? Seriously? Not even just 1 team?

In retaliation I suggest we take one of their temples.

Strange that on one hand there are new measures being taken to catch all the gamblers but here they are force-feeding the worlds most corrupt sporting event down people's throats - using R & D funds.

Lets hope there is a comparable amount spent on decent programming, perhaps even one or two comedies without puerile sound effects...

How about English subtitles on English movies?

That would benefit the population more than this exhibition of greed and egotism.

No one is forcing you to watch it, so......

What???? No Thai team playing in Brasil? Seriously? Not even just 1 team?

In retaliation I suggest we take one of their temples.

Probably lots of Thai teams playing in Brasil - just not teams playing football. Most likely public sector "teams" playing "study tour". You win by successfully shopping for the most bling and making the other team jealous with your grotesque stash of nouveau riche baubles.

• Like 1

Strange that on one hand there are new measures being taken to catch all the gamblers but here they are force-feeding the worlds most corrupt sporting event down people's throats - using R & D funds.

Lets hope there is a comparable amount spent on decent programming, perhaps even one or two comedies without puerile sound effects...

How about English subtitles on English movies?

That would benefit the population more than this exhibition of greed and egotism.

No one is forcing you to watch it, so......

True. Just forcing me to pay for it.

• Like 1

And thailand aren't even playing.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, yeah keep supporting the military and the democrats you entitled pricks who call themselves yellows. There are people in the country side who have no water or electricity or even paved roads. This is a gross mis-allocation of funds.

Edited by anantha92

In fact, wouldn't the 700mn baht be better spent on grass roots football in Thailand so that the country can qualify?

Far too sensible.

Its all in the pursuit of Happyness, the same type of populist policies that were considered unacceptable by certain privileged members of Thailand when enacted by an elected government.

The way the general is splashing out the money gives me the impression Thai.and will and up as a financial disaster FREE Football

Entertainment in the park , food , drinks , money to the rice farmers in a few months they will be printing baht notes as if there was no tomorrow in order that the people can be happy. I see another Greece and Cyprus on the horizon already the baht is showing signs of weakness

• Like 1

Vote buying anyone? Populist policies?

I am looking forward to the commercial breaks.

This is EXACTLY why I detested Thaksin - using MY money to buy personal popularity.

If the military is so set on showing the World Cup to the nation, let them take it out of the military budget, or just ask three or four generals to chip in and pay the whole thing, instead of me.

This is dreadful, Sarit-like bread and circuses. I just hope the public executions don't resume, but I sure wouldn't bet against it at this stage.

The money could have been better spent paying the farmers for the rice scheme.

Funds to pay the rice farmers were already borrowed and paid out by the current regime. The funds to pay for free world soccer games may also be borrowed. My sympathy to the next government that will have to pay these bills.

• Like 1

If it returns happiness to the Thai people 427 million baht will be a bargain.

hehe it would be easier to give 70 million to the 70 millions Thais and save 350 million. I can only see Happy thais in that idea too but do we have a choice ? biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Take care all

I'm sure Thai will have no problem to believe that getting ONE BAHT EACH should be seen as 'return to happiness at a bargain price' rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Funds to pay the rice farmers were already borrowed and paid out by the current regime. The funds to pay for free world soccer games may also be borrowed. My sympathy to the next government that will have to pay these bills.

You may have missed this

"NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said there was a possibility to spend money from the Broadcasting and Telecommunication Research and Development Fund for Public Use to compensate RS for making possible the live broadcast of all matchers on free TVs."

hehe it would be easier to give 70 million to the 70 millions Thais and save 350 million. I can only see Happy thais in that idea too but do we have a choice ? biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Take care all

Or if they absolutely feel a need to buy 427 million baht of goodwill

it would be roughly 6.1 million to each Thai blink.png

That would go a long way towards stimulating the heck out of the economy

as all those Thai's would buy new trucks, homes,land,start new businesses etc.etc.,etc.

The govt in return then gets taxes back as a partial refund on all those purchases + ongoing taxes

from businesses stimulated....

Edited by mania

Vote buying anyone? Populist policies?

I am looking forward to the commercial breaks.

Certainly rings a bell!

Deja Vu?

All over again... and the possible addition of a new name to the roster of Thai politicos. Guess who? whistling.gif

Next government? If the coup before this is a good indicator it will be as Thais say: same, same but... no different.

Take care all

Or if they absolutely feel a need to buy 427 million baht of goodwill

it would be roughly 6.1 million to each Thai blink.png

That would go a long way towards stimulating the heck out of the economy

as all those Thai's would buy new trucks, homes,land,start new businesses etc.etc.,etc.

The govt in return then gets taxes back as a partial refund on all those purchases + ongoing taxes

from businesses stimulated....

You've been using one of those Chinese tablets as a calculator haven't you!

The cost of bringing happiness to the Thai people, well most of them anyway, is around 20 baht per household.

Now that has to be the bargain of the year. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

You may have missed this

"NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said there was a possibility to spend money from the Broadcasting and Telecommunication Research and Development Fund for Public Use to compensate RS for making possible the live broadcast of all matchers on free TVs."

You may have missed this: that money was for Broadcasting and Telecommunication Reasearch and Development". Im pretty sure it wasnt for buying back the rights to screen a 3 and a half week event.

So either it needs to be paid back, or that fund has just lost a serious amount of cash and wont be able to deliver whatever it is that its delivering.

For more info on that 'whatever it is':

https://www.itu.int/ITU-D/asp/CMS/Events/2013/ASEAN-USOF/Thailand_country_report.pdf

(from page 17)

10 targets planned to achieve within 5 years
1. Not less than 95% of population access voice
services
2. Provision of 1-2 public telephones per village in
USO area
3. Not less than 80% of population access high
speed internet with no less than 2Mbps
4. Provision of the Internet center with speed not
less than 2Mbps in communities, schools and public
health centers in USO area
5. Provision of high speed internet to not less than
50,000 households in USO areas
6. Provision of not less than 500 Internet centers
with speed not less than 2Mbps for the disable,
youth, the elderly, and marginal people
7. Provision of special communication system for not
less than 100,000 disable people
8. Promotion and development of the Internet
content
9. Provision emergency numbers
10. Promotion of Research and Development of
basic telecommunication services and universal
service obligation

All pretty commendable aims. All requiring money. So either you pay for it, or you dont get it. You think theyre going to be able to turn around and say "dont worry! we didnt need any of that money! feel free to have a big 3 and a half week tv extravaganza to buy back a legal agreement that a business has invested in and completely modeled itself around. We'll make do!"

Which brings us to another point... cometh the next round of bidding on a major televised event, i wonder just how many companies will be throwing their hat into the ring? So byebye high return for the tax payer through frantic auctioneering! And hello cut price sell offs of landmark events to put at least some windfall money into the national purse. Could be as well the army might just say 'fine', scrap the BTRD and make it the responsibility of private telecoms companies in the next major bidding process. Guess who's on the hook for that then? I'll give you a clue... everyone who uses a telephone.

Edited by inutil