What's the story with Offshore Bar and the Fish & Chips shop?

cyborgx

I know the place was slowly going to the dogs, and Ray was entering his twilight years, but does anyone know the full story on what happened?

I did do a quick search, but didn't find anything about the closure, probably my searching skills under par, since I think this must have been discussed at the time?

The place was slowly dying and regular staff turnover didn’t help either.

He was planning to sell last year but the owners of the plot would only give a one year lease instead of the requested three years so that deal didn’t go through.

Last time I talked to him (January) he was still contemplating whether to go for another one year lease or not.

Apparently they struck a deal with the Ship Inn and other than that I don’t have a clue.

Can only wish that he got paid his fair share.

No one's said so in this thread but the fish and chips service and the building are being completely remodelled. It was looking good from my perch at Bradman's a couple of weeks ago. I hear that the lady boss has returned to the spot and is rebuilding the business. And yes, it was going to the dogs the last couple of years.

The place has been going to the dogs for more than a good few years now.

Mr "Personality" himself didnt help.

My two most vivid memories of him are, slumped on his perch on the RH side as you entered the bar, about midnight on a Sat night, the place was rocking, and all he did was bitch and moan that he couldnt hear the footie results from the radio stuck up against his ear.

One New Years eve, King came round a put a bottle on the table for all the regulars, people who had spent thousands in the bar the previous year, all he did was complain about free bottles being given away.

The place was a dump, wont be missed.

The best hot chips with gravy and vinegar I ever tried

After 15 Klosters ,10 Jack cokes and a short time I thought the same.

Tried it sober and spewed up all over the pla(i)ce.

Cheap asses tried to hide the bottles of HP sauce.

• Like 2

Klosters?

Takes me back. To things best not remembered.

If the bar and chippy are both being done up will have to visit.

The place has been going to the dogs for more than a good few years now.

Mr "Personality" himself didnt help.

My two most vivid memories of him are, slumped on his perch on the RH side as you entered the bar, about midnight on a Sat night, the place was rocking, and all he did was bitch and moan that he couldnt hear the footie results from the radio stuck up against his ear.

One New Years eve, King came round a put a bottle on the table for all the regulars, people who had spent thousands in the bar the previous year, all he did was complain about free bottles being given away.

The place was a dump, wont be missed.

Why not give the guy some slack?

He been running the bar for 29-30 years and has earned the right to be grumpy.

Preston relegating a few years back didn't help either but Ray's got a heart of gold and always provided for his family.

Hat's of to him and I will miss the place despite his grumpiness.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. I too heard something to do with the Ship, so here's hoping the Fish & Chip shop returns, this time a bit more hygenic.......

I didn't know him for long, but he seemed a nice old fella, just a bit set in his ways, which frankly could be said about me these days too!

It was still by far the most home-like Fish & Chips that I've had in Thailand, and definitely at very reasonable prices.

Ahhh Kloster, those were the days......

Edited by cyborgx

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Klosters?

Never got to this place although by the sounds of it, I would have liked it!

I remember Kloster though, the best of the bunch in days gone by! What was that Thai black beer that I used to quite like? Black Dragon? Something like that.

Open again with a restaurant upstairs and prices have gone up, mince pie used to be 85 baht now 120 baht, chips which are now big chunks of potato 50 baht for about four and 100 baht large portion.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Klosters?

Never got to this place although by the sounds of it, I would have liked it!

I remember Kloster though, the best of the bunch in days gone by! What was that Thai black beer that I used to quite like? Black Dragon? Something like that.

Can only talk about Bkk, but about 10-15 years ago there was some Thai black beer appeared, I though it was stout or IPA.

Turned out it was nothing more than the usual fizzy piss water lager but black in colour.

Somehow Black Cat rings a bell, or is that some el cheapo Thai whiskey?

The best of a bad bunch back in those days was Amarit draught beer, IMHO..

Yes the Offshore had its moments back in the day, great bunch of lads.

I would imagine the lease was up and the rents would have killed him.

Anyone remember The Shamrock right opposite?

Open again with a restaurant upstairs and prices have gone up, mince pie used to be 85 baht now 120 baht, chips which are now big chunks of potato 50 baht for about four and 100 baht large portion.

Maybe British 'chips' rather than 'American' fries? Important thing is how is the batter and the fish now.

To others, I don't remember a dark beer. It was either Kloster (with it's formaldehyde) or onto the Mekong.

Never noticed the Shamrock but Jay's Soul Food in Cowboy was a place to go. If you couldn't find Jay he'd be in The Moonshine.

Now then. what did I come into the room for?

Was just there on Monday. It's now called Fish and Ships (yes, with an 's'). The name is consistently spelled this way throughout the shop.

Had cod (180 bt) and chips (60 bt for a small). The cod came to my table a nice light brown as if fried in new oil. Inside it was a nice moist filet but far from soggy (like they have been recently). The large-size individual chips were crisp on the outside and soft inside. The small chip order was enough for me. I asked for tartar sauce but they handed me mayonnaise. Went to the front desk and someone retrieved the bottle of tartar from the fridge. It had some pickley chunks in it but was far from satisfactory.

The meal handily exceeded my (admittedly) low expectations. A big improvement on the last few years. You Brits will have to try it to see if the fish and chips meets your standards.

So it cost me 240 baht. (Dory was 120 baht.) Menu warning: everything is priced a la carte. Peas (mushy or garden) were 50 bt more, as were most other "side dishes", e.g., mashed potato, coleslaw, pickled onions. Gravy, tartar and various dressing were 15 baht extra. I wasn't charged for the tartar sauce and would have objected if I was.

Inside it has a kind of ordinary looking wood theme, but improved on the previous generation. The toilets were clean and modern. Service was bumpy but it just opened the last couple of weeks. Open till 02:00.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Was just there on Monday. It's now called Fish and Ships (yes, with an 's'). The name is consistently spelled this way throughout the shop.

Had cod (180 bt) and chips (60 bt for a small). The cod came to my table a nice light brown as if fried in new oil. Inside it was a nice moist filet but far from soggy (like they have been recently). The large-size individual chips were crisp on the outside and soft inside. The small chip order was enough for me. I asked for tartar sauce but they handed me mayonnaise. Went to the front desk and someone retrieved the bottle of tartar from the fridge. It had some pickley chunks in it but was far from satisfactory.

The meal handily exceeded my (admittedly) low expectations. A big improvement on the last few years. You Brits will have to try it to see if the fish and chips meets your standards.

So it cost me 240 baht. (Dory was 120 baht.) Menu warning: everything is priced a la carte. Peas (mushy or garden) were 50 bt more, as were most other "side dishes", e.g., mashed potato, coleslaw, pickled onions. Gravy, tartar and various dressing were 15 baht extra. I wasn't charged for the tartar sauce and would have objected if I was.

Inside it has a kind of ordinary looking wood theme, but improved on the previous generation. The toilets were clean and modern. Service was bumpy but it just opened the last couple of weeks. Open till 02:00.

Thanks for a pretty thorough review.

Definitely on my list the next few days.

Maybe British 'chips' rather than 'American' fries? Important thing is how is the batter and the fish now.

To others, I don't remember a dark beer. It was either Kloster (with it's formaldehyde) or onto the Mekong.

Never noticed the Shamrock but Jay's Soul Food in Cowboy was a place to go. If you couldn't find Jay he'd be in The Moonshine.

Now then. what did I come into the room for?

Yes, your memory is definetly going. It wasn't Jay's, it was Josh's Soul Food on Cowboy.