Car for traveling

my Honda civic goes everywhere ( 320,000 kms an still runs great)

13 kms/lt on the road

easy on repairs

4 people

have been in and out of Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia

and ALL over Thailandthumbsup.gif

Dont let anyone tell you u need a BIG 4wd Toyota!!!

But, a Benz 500 SEL is more comfortable....

I still use my 1989 Toyota 4-door pickup, not really as comfortable as I'd like, but with about 400k on it now, it's OK. Prefer our 2012 Toyota HiAce van (not the Commuter model), but still a bit bumpy on the Thai highways. Some 70,000 km on it now.

Mac

I guess it would depend on how many of you there are and the types of things you enjoy doing. Are you going to be taking a bicycle along? Climbing gear? Everyone has different needs. I have a little Honda City which works well for our small family (wife and son). I use it primarily in Bangkok, so I wanted something small because traffic and parking are a real pain sometimes. We've been all over the place in it, but we pack light ....

Any vehicle that will hold your party and gear is OK. There are almost no places on any kind of road that require 4 wheel drive nor winch. if the tiny trail is too muddy for regular car, you will likely get stuck with a 4 wheel sooner or later, too. Just walk past the bad mud which only comes very far away from paved roads.

I like to rent a Toyota van and driver to give me and mine lots of room inside and good air cond.

If you have diesel the prices are kept down and availability is great due to govt needing to keep big trucks running deliveries.