Prayuth says NCPO will not continue rice-pledging scheme

webfact

Many farmers won't be able to survive on the market price. He'll have to offer them something if he wants this government to stay the course.

Get some well spent money into remote villages-Tambons etc., incentives to grow alternatives. Fruits, vegetables, items that people eat everyday, let the little man also keep some paddy to grow his sticky rice, this is the type rural Thais eat at near every meal. Get him self supporting and sell surplus at local markets etc.,

A good thing in my mind is that Tesco express and 7-11s are popping up in more remote places and giving young kids employment without having them move to Industrial areas. Therefore are still AT HOME.

Get more OTOP type products --Make them in small villages giving gran and mum basketry etc work to sell in tourist areas.

Stimulation is now needed. and a good time to use this as a springboard.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many farmers won't be able to survive on the market price. He'll have to offer them something if he wants this government to stay the course.

Get some well spent money into remote villages-Tambons etc., incentives to grow alternatives. Fruits, vegetables, items that people eat everyday, let the little man also keep some paddy to grow his sticky rice, this is the type rural Thais eat at near every meal. Get him self supporting and sell surplus at local markets etc.,

A good thing in my mind is that Tesco express and 7-11s are popping up in more remote places and giving young kids employment without having them move to Industrial areas. Therefore are still AT HOME.

Get more OTOP type products --Make them in small villages giving gran and mum basketry etc work to sell in tourist areas.

The General needs sharp-witted people like you ginjag

Jobs in the cities?

Further urbanization is inevitable and smaller farms will no doubt end up being swallowed by large scale ones and conglomerates sooner or later. That's what's happened in every developed country. But something is needed to cushion the blow, or you have an uprising on your hands. What I would propose is direct cash payments to farmers under a certain threshold of income. No opportunity for corruption as the money goes straight to the farmers with no one else involved. This would give them a chance to diversify as Ginjag says, or get out of farming altogether and into a more productive area of the economy.

• Like 2

Don't those Tesco Express and 7-11s actually take money from others who sell their goods locally though? I mean, I think it's inevitable, but it's a double edged sword, isn't it? Anyway, it sounds good in theory but I'd be surprised if a lot of farmers haven't considered much of this already and perhaps have reasons why they're not doing it (or maybe they are doing some of it but it's still not enough).

This is basically the kings idea,the idea of ''sufficiency'". What teenager wants to work shifts at a 7/11 for 5000 Baht when he can make good money in the green mango and have some adventure in life. If everybody is growing fruit and veg who is going to buy the surplus at the market?

No,unless the powers that be come up with a viable solution, farming is dead in the next 10 years.Most farmers have a lot of debt and live from one harvest to the next,pay off the old debt and make new debt just to live and pay the bills,that's no life and the youngsters see that,they want to live now. Was it Luther, the German reformist who said '"City air is the air of freedom'". The young will leave,there are no prospects in the country life.

• Like 1

Don't those Tesco Express and 7-11s actually take money from others who sell their goods locally though? I mean, I think it's inevitable, but it's a double edged sword, isn't it? Anyway, it sounds good in theory but I'd be surprised if a lot of farmers haven't considered much of this already and perhaps have reasons why they're not doing it (or maybe they are doing some of it but it's still not enough).

Don't forget the kids are bringing the money back to the house from these outlets.

On the other hand the small markets always win when it comes to pricing.

You very rarely see little locals shopping in Tesco 7-11s...In my area those shopping are school teachers-other shop peoples-local government officers police families etc.,

We always said in UK if you can set up a shop next to co-op or a post office and you will always do well. I think the farmer would not fear the Tesco express, because of pricing---7-11 do not have fruit and veg and meat.

Looking locally little farm people are returning to Cow and buffalo with their paddy, kids are doing what most modern kids do.

• Like 1

This is basically the kings idea,the idea of ''sufficiency'". What teenager wants to work shifts at a 7/11 for 5000 Baht when he can make good money in the green mango and have some adventure in life. If everybody is growing fruit and veg who is going to buy the surplus at the market?

No,unless the powers that be come up with a viable solution, farming is dead in the next 10 years.Most farmers have a lot of debt and live from one harvest to the next,pay off the old debt and make new debt just to live and pay the bills,that's no life and the youngsters see that,they want to live now. Was it Luther, the German reformist who said '"City air is the air of freedom'". The young will leave,there are no prospects in the country life.

They are earning 9000 baht not 5000 any more, this is far more than they would have on farms, but as I said this 9000 if a great help to their parents.

That's why life is on the up a little in some rural areas, as money is within the house with kids working in some outlets near.

Don't forget most kids are not that well educated and working at 7-11 is a status thing for many. The more advanced kids will flee the local scene.

Your Prayuth bashing is getting very irritating.... I have gone through some of your content and it has become clear that the ONLY reason you joined TVF is to bash the coup and the general.

We all know you are an incarnate of a past red supporter... probably Pipkins, jackrich et al.

Again, your grasp of English is totally crap.

When he says 'reducing production costs and increasing production' It means an amalgamation of the two.

In child speak, that means getting more from less space... The only way to cut costs is to farm less land area, but with ability to produce more in a reduced plot thus saving on production costs while getting the same results as before.

I joined TVF on 5/5/2004.

I have never posted using a different handle.

*Edited* Will things be different this time? I don't know, and am not even sure if ramming change down people's throats is ultimately the best option?

Reducing production costs by "... is to farm less land area, but with ability to produce more in a reduced plot thus saving on production costs while getting the same results as before...", means that fewer farmers will be involved, so you need some sort of plan to deal with that effect of "reducing costs"?

you cannot support reds. cameron

This is good news indeed, and it will also make the farmers who unfortunately suffered through this scam, into a rethink as to how they can have a good return on their crops and minimise production costs.

The world market will dictate the price they get for their product, not a Government that was so far out of touch with reality, you needed oxygen to breath !!

The big cash cow has been slaughtered, and now they need to start smart thinking.

No big divvies for the Millers either.

I wouldn't go as far as stating that the General is reading TVF and doing everything that the forum members have desired, and wished for, don't forget that there's as many Thais who have had similar thoughts, I doubt the General has time to be surfing the internet these days, posting selfies, and clicking "like"

It's a nice fantasy to believe, but I'd be more inclined to believe that he has some astute and clever Thai academics who felt "stiffled" under the Shiniwatra Regime, who were as aware of the what was needed for Thailand to prosper too wink.png

Next you'll be believing that the bold "scamper" is re writing their constitution for them? biggrin.pnglaugh.png has anyone seen or heard from him? He's been very inactive this past 2 weeks, I miss his non paragraphed, but educational posts.

You seem to have changed your line of reasoning, declaring the end of the rice scam "good news" who would have ever thought.

This is good news indeed, and it will also make the farmers who unfortunately suffered through this scam, into a rethink as to how they can have a good return on their crops and minimise production costs.

The world market will dictate the price they get for their product, not a Government that was so far out of touch with reality, you needed oxygen to breath !!

The big cash cow has been slaughtered, and now they need to start smart thinking.

I wouldn't go as far as stating that the General is reading TVF and doing everything that the forum members have desired, and wished for, don't forget that there's as many Thais who have had similar thoughts, I doubt the General has time to be surfing the internet these days, posting selfies, and clicking "like"

It's a nice fantasy to believe, but I'd be more inclined to believe that he has some astute and clever Thai academics who felt "stiffled" under the Shiniwatra Regime, who were as aware of the what was needed for Thailand to prosper too wink.png

Next you'll be believing that the bold "scamper" is re writing their constitution for them? biggrin.pnglaugh.png has anyone seen or heard from him? He's been very inactive this past 2 weeks, I miss his non paragraphed, but educational posts.

you seem to have changed shirts...what is it half time already?

Moe, I don't think I ever said it was a good scheme, simply because I didn't know enough about it, I do believe I have mentioned before that it's clear that the intentions were good, but the whole thing was a bag of <deleted>. I'm more than happy for you to find a post where I praised the scheme, and would be again more than happy to say I was wrong about it, you see, I'm not really into the flag waving pish, Thai politics aren't like supporting a football team, and I'm not so stubborn to have a degree of humility about me to admit I was wrong.

I still think that Suthep is a cock, and I have always said that the PTP regime will fall, and needs to be changed, but I'd have preferred it if the "majority" voted them out ;) and not turfed out through the actions of the courts, I'll never change my stance or opinion on that one sir ;) and we'll never know for sure if the alleged majority was ever there will we ;) I'm also not blind to see that everything the General has done so far is more or less what Suthep wanted, all that seems to be missing is the un-elected "peoples council", however there's still time for that to happen.

The General is doing some great things, but he needs the time, to see things to fruition, I've also said on several occasion now that the Junta should run the country for 12-14 months, the same time frame Suthep said he would need to reform the country. Courtesy should be extended to the Junta to allow the reformation to happen, but again, lets not kid ourselves on, nobody's allowed to criticise the Junta or the coup or else they're in breach of the new forum rules, so of course it's always going to be the good stuff, it's a shame that has to happen, but as members we have to respect these rules.

• Like 1

Yes Mudcrab, I must be the only red who supported Abhisit ;) Oh wait, that would have made me a Democrat supporter, just because I was critical of Sutheps methodology, doesn't make me a red supporter, I think I've even said on numerous occasions I wouldn't waste a vote on any colour IF I WAS THAI ;).

I don't think I've ever praised the PTP or the UDD either.. I actually believe I've been critical of them, I have been openly critical of many pro Suthep followers, that doesn't make me a red either.

If I'm watching a football match between Chelsea and Man U and I wanted Man U to get humped, that doesn't make me a Chelsea supporter, it makes me anti Man U, and if Chelsea were playing West Ham and I wanted West Ham to win... don't make me a hammers fan either.. I know who I support, and who I follow, but at the end of the day, people form their own opinions and generally make assumptions, and you know that they say about those :D

Joy and happiness is all around! It is so heartwarming. And doesn't it almost feel like actually being a member of the junta and actually ruling over the people? What a successful day and well deserved after all this hard posting! But the quote of the day (if not the week) must be "good dictatorship". To coin such an expression, well, that is something!

Wow - logic continues...

Why not set up a sort of Dutch Auction...

But offer the highest price of the day for Quality Thai Rice.

The farmer can sell his rice at THAT DAYS PRICE (What ever that is at the "end of Trading")

The price being guaranteed for 3 days (Government Intervention, of sorts but gets the rice to market asap, to maintain freshness...)

Time to sell the rice fields then,no more rice farming for me now,there is just no money to be made but plenty of risks

Plant Durian trees., -Years ago I could get the same quantity for 30 baht---now in a carton 200 baht. but minimum wage has gone up.giggle.gif or a Lime orchard ??

last year I paid 70 baht for a small lime tree and already was in fruit. now my trees are in fruit again and the 8 trees have 10 limes on each. so this year that's 800 baht.

The leaves make really good anti mozzie protection, and also flavouring for fish dishes. they need little care except small pruning here and there.

I usually like your thinking but your maths have me lost on this one.

Time to sell the rice fields then,no more rice farming for me now,there is just no money to be made but plenty of risks

Plant Durian trees., -Years ago I could get the same quantity for 30 baht---now in a carton 200 baht. but minimum wage has gone up.giggle.gif or a Lime orchard ??

last year I paid 70 baht for a small lime tree and already was in fruit. now my trees are in fruit again and the 8 trees have 10 limes on each. so this year that's 800 baht.

The leaves make really good anti mozzie protection, and also flavouring for fish dishes. they need little care except small pruning here and there.

I believe (means i don't know) that durian trees need about 25 years before they really produce a lot of fruit.With 220 rai there would be a massive theft problem with durian or limes. 3 years ago we were offered 27 million Baht for 100 rai which is our biggest field in one unit. A Chinese/Thai industrialist from Bangkok offered this only if several neighbouring fields could be bought as well.Not only did my wife refuse to sell but all the other farmers refused as well,they are all biting themselves in the butt today. Nobody see's a future in farming anymore,the farmers children with the ability to study are,like my step daughter,going to university and are turning their backs on farming,even the less well endowed are going to work in factories in Rayong etc they won't be back, the problem of rice prices and subsidies may well solve themselves with the demise of the farming communities. Hardly matters,we can buy our rice from Cambodia or Vietnam,India whatever.

Getting off topic and almost worth a thread.

I have noticed in my own area that hardly anyone under age 45 is involved in farming. A whole generation has been lost from the land and the effects will be need to be dealt with over the next 10 years and onwards.

Most of the rice farmers locally seem to have their own network and never got involved in the pledging scheme.

"Whether it will be continued in the future is another matter"

Ask me tomorrow. MAgic 8 ball says,

Reply hazy try again

Ask again later
Better not tell you now
Cannot predict now
Concentrate and ask again

Now we have to help farmers cut cost and increase production

So the solution to producing too much rice is to produce more? OK, that makes perfect sense, make up a loss by selling more.

Obviously cutting costs is a factor but not sure how achievable that is given the current farming structure, which may take decades to readjust from "Sufficiency" to "globally competitive".

Perhaps he should have said "Whether another corrupt political party will offer it as a hugely expensive vote-buying scheme is beyond my control."

I think before he leaves the scene there will be roadblocks in place to stop scum people who would so blatantly rip Thailand off. Just my thought.wai.gif

Your Prayuth bashing is getting very irritating.... I have gone through some of your content and it has become clear that the ONLY reason you joined TVF is to bash the coup and the general.

We all know you are an incarnate of a past red supporter... probably Pipkins, jackrich et al.

Again, your grasp of English is totally crap.

When he says 'reducing production costs and increasing production' It means an amalgamation of the two.

In child speak, that means getting more from less space... The only way to cut costs is to farm less land area, but with ability to produce more in a reduced plot thus saving on production costs while getting the same results as before.

I joined TVF on 5/5/2004.

I have never posted using a different handle.

*Edited* Will things be different this time? I don't know, and am not even sure if ramming change down people's throats is ultimately the best option?

Reducing production costs by "... is to farm less land area, but with ability to produce more in a reduced plot thus saving on production costs while getting the same results as before...", means that fewer farmers will be involved, so you need some sort of plan to deal with that effect of "reducing costs"?

I have a different idea on it.

1 The people are happy for the changes he is not ramming it down their throat. Yes if you are a died in the wool Thaksin fan you could consider it being rammed down your throat. But I don't think there are that many of them many of the red shirts seem to be quiet about the situation. It is not what their leaders told them to expect. The one's making the noise are more than likely on the Shinawatra payroll.

2 If increased rice production requires less farmers no problem. Thailand can just stop Importing out side help. It is not like their was a large unemployment rate in Thailand. I have no figures but I would imagine that most of the ones who can not find work don't want to find it either. Unfortunately it would in some cases involve moving to a place they don't want to go. Or they just don't want to move. That I admit is sad. But as the old saying goes if you want to make an omelet you have to break some eggs.wai.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

maybe without the bullsh*t promises from the ptp farmers might just stop over working their fields and we will see a return to normal production with out the need to use way too many chemicals.

As I understand it VietNam and Cambodia are getting a much better yield from their land. Do you think that a year of no crop would help the land?

In the states they do not pay ridicules figures for the crops that they can not sell [well most of them] they pay the farmers to not plant the land. Or plant it with some thing that enriches it. Not a farmer so I don't know what that would be.

So, will the local Miller pay the farmer the same price for high quality Jasmine rice as he pays for "hard" or "course" rice? Or, will prices paid be indexed to the current world market price for high quality Jasmine rice, or any rice being sold? And, if the world market price is lower than the farmers' production costs, then?????

The 2013 world price for high quality Jasmine rice was $1,100, or about TB35,000 per metric ton at current exchange rates. Can anyone give me a quick run down of the the arbitrage of rice from the Miller until it is sold by the exporter. In other words, what are the percentages received by each person in the food chain?

I think that is a question best asked in a business forum. the government messing in with it has just been a disaster and it would be best left for the business people. They can form a honest opinion on it and pass it on to the government. Keep academia out of it. They have no idea how to run a business. they should concentrate on how to teach people to be teacher's.

I know cheap shot.tongue.png

I believe (means i don't know) that durian trees need about 25 years before they really produce a lot of fruit.With 220 rai there would be a massive theft problem with durian or limes. 3 years ago we were offered 27 million Baht for 100 rai which is our biggest field in one unit. A Chinese/Thai industrialist from Bangkok offered this only if several neighbouring fields could be bought as well.Not only did my wife refuse to sell but all the other farmers refused as well,they are all biting themselves in the butt today. Nobody see's a future in farming anymore,the farmers children with the ability to study are,like my step daughter,going to university and are turning their backs on farming,even the less well endowed are going to work in factories in Rayong etc they won't be back, the problem of rice prices and subsidies may well solve themselves with the demise of the farming communities. Hardly matters,we can buy our rice from Cambodia or Vietnam,India whatever.

I have noticed in my own area that hardly anyone under age 45 is involved in farming. A whole generation has been lost from the land and the effects will be need to be dealt with over the next 10 years and onwards.

Most of the rice farmers locally seem to have their own network and never got involved in the pledging scheme.

Yes you are right, the phenomenon you mention is nationwide. The rural to urban migration by young people, those choosing not to become farmers like their parents, and the rapid reduction in family size are all factors in Thailands development. Now the effects of this scheme and the stress it has caused will hasten that. Mind you I know Australia has undergone a similar process. Farming is more and more dominated by massive mechanised commercial operations rather than smaller traditional family holdings which are no longer viable. Then they get screwed by the two dominant supermarket chains who hold them to ransom and set prices not viable for profit. Or the government interferes by suddenly banning live exports without thinking through the effects of their actions. The Shins massive vote buying scheme wasn't very well thought out either. No doubt Taksin thought he could buy their votes without dipping into his own deep pockets? What a f@#%ing balls up.

For those academically minded an interesting study on the Thai aging farmer subject from 2003 - http://www.fao.org/sd/dim_pe3/docs/pe3_051001d1_en.pdf.

• Like 1

I would hope not! The whole scam was a money pit by the Shins and their cronies. You can help the farmers but not like this. bah.gif

And you are the expert on Agricultural subsidies. Since your such a prolific poster on TV, I would hope you have a significant contribution as to how they can help farmers other that the rather pathetic comment above. Maybe 6 months ago it would have been a fair comment to point out such a point. Given the passing of events, I really think your posts are just vendictive rant and hold zero contribution to a real discusion.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

maybe without the bullsh*t promises from the ptp farmers might just stop over working their fields and we will see a return to normal production with out the need to use way too many chemicals.

As I understand it VietNam and Cambodia are getting a much better yield from their land. Do you think that a year of no crop would help the land?

In the states they do not pay ridicules figures for the crops that they can not sell [well most of them] they pay the farmers to not plant the land. Or plant it with some thing that enriches it. Not a farmer so I don't know what that would be.

So, will the local Miller pay the farmer the same price for high quality Jasmine rice as he pays for "hard" or "course" rice? Or, will prices paid be indexed to the current world market price for high quality Jasmine rice, or any rice being sold? And, if the world market price is lower than the farmers' production costs, then?????

The 2013 world price for high quality Jasmine rice was $1,100, or about TB35,000 per metric ton at current exchange rates. Can anyone give me a quick run down of the the arbitrage of rice from the Miller until it is sold by the exporter. In other words, what are the percentages received by each person in the food chain?

I think that is a question best asked in a business forum. the government messing in with it has just been a disaster and it would be best left for the business people. They can form a honest opinion on it and pass it on to the government. Keep academia out of it. They have no idea how to run a business. they should concentrate on how to teach people to be teacher's.

I know cheap shot.tongue.png

You obviously know where this should go, so please forward to the people who can answer the questions. Thanks!

Haggis!! I am agreeing with you yet again. Where is that red streak and democracy attitude you had before.

Were you one arrested for re training?

"Resistance is futile" I was more anti Suthep than pro red ;)

I do like the way this General is going about his business, and I wonder what the TVF members who lambasted me the other week when I said the General was already a politician, whether he liked it or not, and they said "rubbish" He's just a General!! ...oh really????? tongue.pngwhistling.gif he looks every bit a politician right now, and a pretty good one at that!! :D

Yes sir absolutely and telling the contrary is " democratic stuborness"

This farming thing is not what it looks like.

Majority of farmers (not large rice farm paddies) go to their small land areas mainly in off the beaten tack down a dirt road to their land. Usually the have a chicken or two and a dog there to guard the small farm hut.

He will plant his (Sticky rice) for his own consumption and family, using it up as needed from the small rice house, any surplus he can sell for extra.

This is typical of the small farmer.

All this other scheme business is mainly in the interest of the minority of larger farms/millers/store.

Normally if the scheme is halted it will hardly affect the mini man. He will always provide for his family, and near be self sufficient as poss.

• Like 2

It's becoming blindingly obvious that Gen P. is reading the TVF and using the expats sensible ideas and suggestions. Since the coup, he has made all our wildest dreams come true. Police reform, tracking the Shin corruption, booting out corrupt officials, transparent infrastructure planning, dismantling the cult of Thaksin red shirts, we wrote about it here, and the good general is following through with it all. Time to give ourselves a big pat on the back. I wonder what he makes of all the time-warp trollers that still haven't realized that Thaksin is gone forever?

Wonder away. Perhaps he'll employ you as his personal aide de memoire. You can keep reminding him how moronic anyone from Lana or Isaan wanting a better life is.

• Like 1