What kind of plug does Thailand use?

y2k

They take the U.S./Japanese plugs but the voltage is 220V, 50Hz !!

ha ha that's what everybody forgot to say.The US adapter might fit.....but boy will you be disappointed...or shocked!

Unless you bring your washer-dryer with you, then you have no problem.

All portable devises have built in convertors and i think all plugs fit in Thailand, or at least the european and american that i know of.

Standard voltage in Thailand is 220 VAC or up to 240 officially. Also look at the photos someone put on here.

Original Thailand electrical outlet, socket on the wall, is two round holes that, surprise, take two round pin plugs. This socket contains no ground and thus is useless for spike protector outlet strips sold in Thailand which need a ground on the third pin.

Some Thailand sockets are two vertical holes, taking two vertical flat pins on the plug. No ground.

New Thailand sockets have a third pin and the third pin is ground. Sometimes there is no ground wire connected behind the socket and that means "three pins with no ground."

IMPORTANT, you can not obtain 110-120 VAC, volts like in USA, by any method from a 220 VAC Thailand socket.

• Like 1

I thought You guys would have nailed it by now..

All our plugs fit into the universal socket, but no 110 American equipment will survive unless it has a charge adapter.

I brought my guitar amp to Thailand and never played it 'cause I never had time to by a voltage adapter!

"wall warts", transformers..smart phone chargers, my laptop, all fit AND don't burn up!

All 110-120 Volt appliances need a voltage adapter.

My computer plugged right in at Incheon airport, as pointed out by a Scottish lady, even though I got the adapter.

Plugged right in in Laos also, Universal outlet plugs..

By the washer dryer or refrigerator/AC in Asia or Europe, no prob.

aloha

Edited by KonaRain

Standard voltage in Thailand is 220 VAC or up to 240 officially. Also look at the photos someone put on here.

Original Thailand electrical outlet, socket on the wall, is two round holes that, surprise, take two round pin plugs. This socket contains no ground and thus is useless for spike protector outlet strips sold in Thailand which need a ground on the third pin.

Some Thailand sockets are two vertical holes, taking two vertical flat pins on the plug. No ground.

New Thailand sockets have a third pin and the third pin is ground. Sometimes there is no ground wire connected behind the socket and that means "three pins with no ground."

IMPORTANT, you can not obtain 110-120 VAC, volts like in USA, by any method from a 220 VAC Thailand socket.

Is there any country in the world, still on 110V, apart from the USA?

One thing I noticed about power boards after my first unlucky purchase. It had a 3-pin plug at the end of the cable, but there was no earth connected to the board.

Yes, there are still 6 different plugs used on domestic electrical equipment.

My UPS comes with 3-pin outlets at the rear, and is good for all my electronic gear, plus surge protector and battery. It's a 'SYNDOME' which I bought in Pantip Plaza.

IMPORTANT, you can not obtain 110-120 VAC, volts like in USA, by branching off of a 220 VAC Thailand socket. You can use a transformer to make that change.

Note I made minor correction to #13. Add note now... your UPS needs to plug into a GROUNDED SOCKET, with a wire on the third pin that goes to real ground. UPS will pass electric power but its filtering function will be compromised with no ground.

Japan uses 100 volts in places.

One thing I noticed about power boards after my first unlucky purchase. It had a 3-pin plug at the end of the cable, but there was no earth connected to the board.

My UPS comes with 3-pin outlets at the rear, and is good for all my electronic gear, plus surge protector and battery. It's a 'SYNDOME' which I bought in Pantip Plaza.

• Like 1

All EU plugs are rated for 13 amps, how many amps are te Thai 3 pin plugs rated for?

Chuckle..

They may have grounded it, 'cause they are as smart as anyone, just different, but a govt. crew in C. Mai, WELDED the roof metal beams.. rafters.. with a little white cord!

UPS sounds like a good one in the sockets with more than one appliance.

Our Thai hosts ran the washer on a power strip.. no ground nessary.. (?)

Note I made minor correction to #13. Add note now... your UPS needs to plug into a GROUNDED SOCKET, with a wire on the third pin that goes to real ground. UPS will pass electric power but its filtering function will be compromised with no ground.

Japan uses 100 volts in places.

AGREED!

Amazingly, I've just moved into an older house in Suthep, and all the power outlets are grounded.

Hooray!

• Like 1

Round, vertical, horizontal..no problem. I was able to plug anything in..220 or 9 volt. Its the 110 I couldn't use..

I heard of a transformer for 300 baht..7-8 $..

Or is that wrong?

Thanks!

Edited by KonaRain

1. What is a "little white cord"??? Is that a wire with a white insulating covering? Useless info without specifics.

2. A normal UPS, like sold to use with a computer, are little use with a high wattage appliance like a refrig, washer, or iron used for clothes wrinkles. The UPS batteries are not strong enuf to run high wattage appliances and will just fail.

3. The most important thing in your list is a clothes washer which is most dangerous without a ground due to it and you being wet.

PLEASE LISTEN.... A "power strip" is a plastic container housing with several sockets in it and a two wire/two pin plug coming out of it. There can be 4 or more sockets and the design of the sockets can be of the Universal type which will take most known plugs, BUT THAT POWER STRIP HAS NO GROUND. Some power strips sold with the addition of a "spike protector" have a three wire/three pin plug coming out of it.

Some of the cheaper of these "spike protectors" do not have the third wire connected to anything inside the plastic container housing. Others can be plugged into a two wire wall socket via an adapter and that provides no ground, or a three wire wall socket where the third pin behind the cover plate has no ground wire connected... just not there. You obtain no protection with no ground.

Reading comments here I must say that only one person shows enuf knowledge to deal effectively with lightning installations. Example... welding to make connections from one metal or one metal wire to another will melt with lightning electric flow and are useless in a lightning protection system. Clamping, yes. Welding, no.

All EU plugs are rated for 13 amps, how many amps are te Thai 3 pin plugs rated for?

Chuckle..
They may have grounded it, 'cause they are as smart as anyone, just different, but a govt. crew in C. Mai, WELDED the roof metal beams.. rafters.. with a little white cord!
UPS sounds like a good one in the sockets with more than one appliance.
Our Thai hosts ran the washer on a power strip.. no ground nessary.. (?)
  • Like 1

They built whole house with a damaged, thin, white extension cord.. I think it may have been grounded, like with a copper wire in the ground. But the cord was pathetic..

Sorry to confuse..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app