1,800 rice warehouses to be checked

Lite Beer

To answer most of your questions all you have to do is read the OP.

However you may not have noticed that the PM's office which will be involved in the training and inspections is under new management, the commerce commission has also had a serious shake up and I would suspect is under threat of more.

Nothing to do with past claims this is about what is there now.

You will see by reading the OP that there are quite a few different organisations involved, most of the members of the inspection teams will not be rice experts so will therefor need to be shown what to look for, how to check for quality and be able to identify types of rice, there will be more, you have think about what they will need to know.

It has been said that the training should take no more than 2 days then they will start inspections "This month" that is in the next 16 days.

Don't worry about how long it will take, consider how much has been done since the army took over and make your own estimate.

I would think results may not be released to the public immediately for if there are major irregularities then the police and NACC will have more work to do.

Bear in mind that one rice miller has already been found guilty, we wait to see how many more and how far up the tree any corruption investigations go.

Government officials who were removed/transferred to inactive position were mostly top management, and don't recall a

mass purge, rather specific people being replaced. So all very well that there's new management, wouldn't know how this

effects lower level management and staff. It is unreasonable to believe that corruption to do with the scam was limited to

the higher ups, with underlings not benefiting at all or not aware. Wondering how or why they to be trusted now.

There were inquiries regarding corruption in the rice scam before, which either got nowhere, were silenced or managed

to come up with a scapegoat or two. I do not believe they replaced all the staff on relevant ministries and organizations,

hence it seems odd to let even some of them have a second go at this. Would much prefer an external investigation, not

made up of anyone who had anything to do with the scam.

I think the only organization which wasn't involved in one way or another with previous investigations is the army. All the

relevant ministries, police, and NACC been at it for a while - if they are to be trusted with this again, they should have

enough people acquainted with the task at hand. There is no shortage of rice experts in Thailand, maybe it would make

better sense to out-source and bring in professionals, instead of relying on short term training to handle all possible cons

and tricks millers and local officials know. Might be my eyes, not seeing a mention of training taking "two days" in the OP.

Time is an important factor as the longer it takes, the easier it is to hide irregularities, flee the country, and make all sort

of back room deals. While not as bad as the DSI tactic of letting exact time and place, they do give a warning shot of

sorts to those involved in rice scam corruption. Got to wonder if this is intentional (not necessarily in a bad way - thinking

more about kicking an anthill).

The miller's case started last year, nothing to do with the coup. The severe sentence handed probably does.

It would seem that you don't believe that staff would know if, in the case of the commerce ministry, that their minister and his deputy had been removed and were awaiting charges and that it would not send a clear message to them that if the big boss can go you could well be next.

As for the MP's dept, the staff would be very well aware of what will happen should they get out of line.

They can only be trusted because of the oversight and threat of being removed if they do not do their job

The army is watching and I am sure these people know that full well

Why the NACC is involved (and the police for that matter) should be obvious for they are the ones who will have to deal with any corruption found.

The police have also had several top men removed and some even charged (gambling) so they are getting the idea that it is safer to go along with the army than against them.

As for previous investigation, the NACC has been involved from the time of the first no confidence debate when the Dems took the evidence they had collected to them, they have however been hampered in their investigation by, for a start their budget cut and by the refusal of those who has things to hide to cooperate, perhaps you can guess who had things to hide.

There has never been a suggestion that the NACC has ever tried to cover anything up in fact the opposite.

As for time, that could be why they are moving quickly, starting directly after the training

The 2 days training was in the report on the same subject in the BKK Post this morning, go look, it helps to get your news from several different sources.

What has the timing of the start of the millers case got to do with anything ? It is when, how and under whose watch it was concluded that makes the difference.

It is a clear warning to others that they can be next and the consequenses will be severe.

What I believe is that there are quite a few officials, call them mid-level, if you like - that were involved in corruption cases

relating to the rice scam, and that not all of them have been removed. Having them anywhere near investigations is, in my

opinion, counter-productive. This would refer mostly to government ministries and police. Obviously they are aware that

some overlords were replaced, obviously they are aware that things will come under scrutiny. Not sure if this makes them

more trustworthy or putting their back to the wall, just saying it would be more appropriate for investigation to be handled by

external agencies, without involvement of ministries, or even the police (in a normal state of things, this would be right up the

DSI's alley, but guess we all know that's not an option).

Did not suggest that the NACC was involved in corruption or cover up, was pointing to the fact that having dealt with the

rice scam for some time, they would have relevant people on top of things, without need for training.

Alright, so the two day training appeared in another news source, not in the OP, which is what we were discussing. Could

have pointed that out earlier without the snipe (and yes, I do read the BP, and no, I do not read each and every news item

out there). Still don't see how two days worth of training makes one an expert on all the tricks of the rice trade.

I don't recall the junta actually being involved in the miller's case, either investigation or sentence. I would guess the harsh

sentence has more to do with the court's interpretation of the current political situation or with the sometimes quirky nature

of Thai justice. A clear warning, perhaps, but not too clear on who sent it, really.

There are only 100 people involved in the inspection not the staff of whole departments and ministries.

I would imagine the people chosen for the job would have been chosen as honest, intelligent and trustworthy people who have no political leanings.

The NACC is an investigative body not a group of rice experts who can carry out warehouse inspections, if everyone involved gets the same training then all inspections should be done under the same criteria.

It could (would) also be said that if only one body conducted the inspections then they may (would) be bias.

They don't have to be experts in the tricks of the rice trade only competent to inspect the warehouses and report what they find.

These findings will then be correlated by others into a comprehensive report which the NACC and police can use along with all the other evidence they have, this report I expect will be made public.

Very clear who has sent the warnings all along the line, the courts and complete justice system has had a very clear warning in the last couple of days, I would imagine that the judges have seen that coming and it has had an impact on their thinking regards sentencing, hence the millers sentence.

"Separately, NACC member Prasart Pongsivapai said the commission had not yet considered the request filed by Yingluck's lawyer asking the NACC to investigate another eight witnesses from her side in the case of negligence related to the rice-pledging scheme that she is facing. He said he was not sure if the request would be on the NACC meeting agenda next week."

Speaking of which, where is she lately, and Chalerm, and the rest of the cronies? There has been absolutely no news, AFAIK, about where they are and what they are doing. Are they all under house arrest? Banned from media contact?

And nothing at all from the narcissist in Dubai. Where is the news of the mottley crew?

I know it makes me a sick puppy but I used to look forward to my weekly Chalerm (Inspector Clouseau impersonator) Chuckle

No news is good news the less we hear about this bunch is better for everyone.

Can't agree. sad.png

Chalerm is one of the most entertaining piss heads I've ever come across. His tangential ideas were paramount to my weekly laughs. sad.png

Another sick Puppy, just like me... "Da dum, da dum, da dum da dum da dum...... Pink Panther theme continues.......

• Like 1

Government officials who were removed/transferred to inactive position were mostly top management, and don't recall a

mass purge, rather specific people being replaced. So all very well that there's new management, wouldn't know how this

effects lower level management and staff. It is unreasonable to believe that corruption to do with the scam was limited to

the higher ups, with underlings not benefiting at all or not aware. Wondering how or why they to be trusted now.

There were inquiries regarding corruption in the rice scam before, which either got nowhere, were silenced or managed

to come up with a scapegoat or two. I do not believe they replaced all the staff on relevant ministries and organizations,

hence it seems odd to let even some of them have a second go at this. Would much prefer an external investigation, not

I think the only organization which wasn't involved in one way or another with previous investigations is the army. All the

relevant ministries, police, and NACC been at it for a while - if they are to be trusted with this again, they should have

enough people acquainted with the task at hand. There is no shortage of rice experts in Thailand, maybe it would make

better sense to out-source and bring in professionals, instead of relying on short term training to handle all possible cons

and tricks millers and local officials know. Might be my eyes, not seeing a mention of training taking "two days" in the OP.

Time is an important factor as the longer it takes, the easier it is to hide irregularities, flee the country, and make all sort

of back room deals. While not as bad as the DSI tactic of letting exact time and place, they do give a warning shot of

sorts to those involved in rice scam corruption. Got to wonder if this is intentional (not necessarily in a bad way - thinking

The miller's case started last year, nothing to do with the coup. The severe sentence handed probably does.

It would seem that you don't believe that staff would know if, in the case of the commerce ministry, that their minister and his deputy had been removed and were awaiting charges and that it would not send a clear message to them that if the big boss can go you could well be next.

As for the MP's dept, the staff would be very well aware of what will happen should they get out of line.

They can only be trusted because of the oversight and threat of being removed if they do not do their job

Why the NACC is involved (and the police for that matter) should be obvious for they are the ones who will have to deal with any corruption found.

The police have also had several top men removed and some even charged (gambling) so they are getting the idea that it is safer to go along with the army than against them.

As for previous investigation, the NACC has been involved from the time of the first no confidence debate when the Dems took the evidence they had collected to them, they have however been hampered in their investigation by, for a start their budget cut and by the refusal of those who has things to hide to cooperate, perhaps you can guess who had things to hide.

There has never been a suggestion that the NACC has ever tried to cover anything up in fact the opposite.

As for time, that could be why they are moving quickly, starting directly after the training

The 2 days training was in the report on the same subject in the BKK Post this morning, go look, it helps to get your news from several different sources.

What has the timing of the start of the millers case got to do with anything ? It is when, how and under whose watch it was concluded that makes the difference.

It is a clear warning to others that they can be next and the consequenses will be severe.

What I believe is that there are quite a few officials, call them mid-level, if you like - that were involved in corruption cases

relating to the rice scam, and that not all of them have been removed. Having them anywhere near investigations is, in my

opinion, counter-productive. This would refer mostly to government ministries and police. Obviously they are aware that

some overlords were replaced, obviously they are aware that things will come under scrutiny. Not sure if this makes them

more trustworthy or putting their back to the wall, just saying it would be more appropriate for investigation to be handled by

external agencies, without involvement of ministries, or even the police (in a normal state of things, this would be right up the

Did not suggest that the NACC was involved in corruption or cover up, was pointing to the fact that having dealt with the

rice scam for some time, they would have relevant people on top of things, without need for training.

Alright, so the two day training appeared in another news source, not in the OP, which is what we were discussing. Could

have pointed that out earlier without the snipe (and yes, I do read the BP, and no, I do not read each and every news item

out there). Still don't see how two days worth of training makes one an expert on all the tricks of the rice trade.

I don't recall the junta actually being involved in the miller's case, either investigation or sentence. I would guess the harsh

sentence has more to do with the court's interpretation of the current political situation or with the sometimes quirky nature

of Thai justice. A clear warning, perhaps, but not too clear on who sent it, really.

There are only 100 people involved in the inspection not the staff of whole departments and ministries.

I would imagine the people chosen for the job would have been chosen as honest, intelligent and trustworthy people who have no political leanings.

The NACC is an investigative body not a group of rice experts who can carry out warehouse inspections, if everyone involved gets the same training then all inspections should be done under the same criteria.

It could (would) also be said that if only one body conducted the inspections then they may (would) be bias.

They don't have to be experts in the tricks of the rice trade only competent to inspect the warehouses and report what they find.

These findings will then be correlated by others into a comprehensive report which the NACC and police can use along with all the other evidence they have, this report I expect will be made public.

Very clear who has sent the warnings all along the line, the courts and complete justice system has had a very clear warning in the last couple of days, I would imagine that the judges have seen that coming and it has had an impact on their thinking regards sentencing, hence the millers sentence.

Well, guess I do not feel the same confidence in Thai authorities and organizations ability to do an about turn and acting

in a professional manner. Not saying that there are no such individuals, or that things going the way you describe are

not a possibility - just being more skeptic on this. Would love to be wrong on this.

The training bit, however, still sounds bogus. Hard to see the major benefit it presents, but that is probably not a major

issue. I would imagine they do need to know about the ways storage places and millers scam and cheat, because at

least some of the wrongdoings will not be all that easy to spot or obvious.

How can you loose a couple of million tons ?

I agree with you Chao Lao, but I think the trail will be difficult to follow. Remember the staggering US Treasury announcement that one trillion dollars had disappeared ! .. and no-one knew where it went. How quickly that story became a no news event.

Hillbich lost 6 billion just in the State Dept. in her 4 years.

To answer most of your questions all you have to do is read the OP.

However you may not have noticed that the PM's office which will be involved in the training and inspections is under new management, the commerce commission has also had a serious shake up and I would suspect is under threat of more.

Nothing to do with past claims this is about what is there now.

You will see by reading the OP that there are quite a few different organisations involved, most of the members of the inspection teams will not be rice experts so will therefor need to be shown what to look for, how to check for quality and be able to identify types of rice, there will be more, you have think about what they will need to know.

It has been said that the training should take no more than 2 days then they will start inspections "This month" that is in the next 16 days.

Don't worry about how long it will take, consider how much has been done since the army took over and make your own estimate.

I would think results may not be released to the public immediately for if there are major irregularities then the police and NACC will have more work to do.

Bear in mind that one rice miller has already been found guilty, we wait to see how many more and how far up the tree any corruption investigations go.

Its gojng to take 100 guys at least 18 days to open all. Take a couple days minimum to see it, at least 45 days. Then travel time. At least 60 days, days off, weekends.

They should have an accurate number in 3 months.

Why they only have 100 people god knows.

• Like 1

The inspection team will consist of representatives from the PM's Office, the Army, police, Interior, Commerce and Agricul-ture ministries, and the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC).

That is what I call transparency. A refreshing change from the sham the PTP called an investigation. They investigated the rice scheme through the PWO and commerce ministry while NOT allowing anyone else to be involved in the investigation. I wonder why?

Well we all know why now after the Junta discovered the 500 billion baht loss and 2.9 million ton of rice loss.

Keep up the good work General Preyuth.

Leave the bitter and twisted in the shadows where they belong.

Edited by djjamie

"Separately, NACC member Prasart Pongsivapai said the commission had not yet considered the request filed by Yingluck's lawyer asking the NACC to investigate another eight witnesses from her side in the case of negligence related to the rice-pledging scheme that she is facing. He said he was not sure if the request would be on the NACC meeting agenda next week."

Speaking of which, where is she lately, and Chalerm, and the rest of the cronies? There has been absolutely no news, AFAIK, about where they are and what they are doing. Are they all under house arrest? Banned from media contact?

And nothing at all from the narcissist in Dubai. Where is the news of the mottley crew?

Canada?

http://www.motley.com/