Bomb explosion rocks capital hours before curfew lifted

Lite Beer

That headline is a little bit sensational don't you think?

Not really. This is pretty serious stuff, now one of the pavements has a 2cm hole in it. What if someone trips and what will tourists think if they see the damage on Bangkoks beautiful footpaths? This hole is going to make Thailand look bad.

It might help to put this in perspective if the 2cm is converted into traditional Thai measurement units used by the highways department. I've done a quick calculation and the answer is 'flat'.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone apparently wants the curfew reimposed.

Or are the army just doing to good a job for somebodys liking ?

Ii suspect you are barking up the wrong tree. The size of the explosion was obviously designed to attract attention, but to whom or to what? At a guess I would say it was what the Nation describes as the "insurgents in the restive South" pushing their cause higher up the junta's agenda.

absolute rubbish - in Bangkok??!!!

How does one bomb a police box on Rama 9 at 7.30 on a Friday and escape? Teleport?

Could had been dropped from the elevated expressway there, as it has been the case with other grenade attacks in the past.

• Like 1

The news story says that the explosion occurred at 7:30PM near the police booth. Thai police responded to an "alert" at 9:30PM. Way to go Thailand. No Police must have been in the booth at this major intersection and it took others two hours to respond.

Sounds like it to me too. Generalissimo will NOT be amused if it turns out the BIB were out collecting tea money or otherwise not accounted for.

quote "Police found that the bomb was a Russian-made RDG5 grenade. Somyos said someone might discard the grenade there and a car might accidentally run over it."

Geez... dangerous to walk around bangkok... either a car will run over a grenade or you might accidentally step on one..." I think that DPPGC needs to find another job where his investigative skills are not put to use... "

.......which was found to be Russian-made RGD5 type grenade as its safety pin with serial number erased was discovered at the scene.

When a grenade explodes there is very little left. Out of all the grenades that I have handled over the years, I have never found one with a serial number on it. Maybe the Russians are worried about keeping track of their grenadesrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

"The scene is at a garden patch at the left turn to Asoke road near Rama 9 intersection."

Been through that intersection dozens or hundreds of times by car and even on foot. There is nothing there we can call "garden". But then a grenade that damages slightly 4 cars and leavesa a 2 cm hole, seems a tad small to "rock Capital". So maybe the reporter is talking about a different place and bomb.

Edited by northengr

Bomb? It was a hand grenade, and I've thrown dozens of that type of Grenade in the past 10 years,

Just curious why you threw dozens of RDG5 hand grenades in the past 10 years and how you got them.

Ever been to that very lovely sunny Afghanistan ?

They have loads of nice handy playthings like grenades and assault rifles there.

We the western coalition, naturally try and collect as many of these playthings as possible, as we don't really want to be hit by any of them.

And you naturally try these things out as soldiers, to know how they work, how powerful they are.

And you couldn't have thought this far yourself ?

• Like 1

The junta has stepped on many toes.

Yes, the criminals toes and just like a typical criminal this is their response.

Lets hope it is a one off incident and the CCTV camera's identify the culprit.

It has been very pleasant and peaceful in Thailand since the Democracy Restoration team took control on the 22nd of May and I hope it remains that way.

• Like 1

We all know that this is going to happen sooner or later, I hope the police will work to get whoever done this. Earn your pay even though it's not much, just like any other law enforcement agency, you took an oath to uphold the law, to protect and serve.

The news story says that the explosion occurred at 7:30PM near the police booth. Thai police responded to an "alert" at 9:30PM. Way to go Thailand. No Police must have been in the booth at this major intersection and it took others two hours to respond.

But they did rush to the scene with the Army.

After you. No after you. No I insist after you.

jb1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Only 2 hours to respond ??? They are ridiculous! It's time they clamped down on the source of all these illegal arms, got to be supplied by low paid soldiers. If the police ever did their job properly instead of chasing the tourists and vunerable for their mia noi money and their mortgage money it might change. Snowballs chance in hell there though eh?

The explosion happened at about 7.30 p.m.

EOD was alerted of the explosion at 9.30 p.m. and quickly rushed to the scene

Bit of odd timing, there.

Were the police away from their box and didn't return until later?

Did it take them two hours to figure out their box had been bombed?

Do the EOD folks have an unlisted phone number?

Or everyone was out for their dinner break?

Bomb? It was a hand grenade, and I've thrown dozens of that type of Grenade in the past 10 years,

Just curious why you threw dozens of RDG5 hand grenades in the past 10 years and how you got them.

In Iraq, doing security contracting, you could buy them in Sadr City for $10 each in 2004, and having contacts in the right places, from 2004-2006 when it was literally a war zone, we carried all sorts of pyrotechnics, but as the rules and regulations and licencing of weapons came into effect, you were not allowed to carry such things, we used to carry "white/red phos" and "Thermite" grenades as well, so we could burn our vehicles if they were ever immobilised to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.

Same on convoys, if a truck was hit, and we were unable to recover it, we burned it, and it's contents. When weapons control got more regulated, rather than handing all the "frags" and other goodies, to the Iraqi Police, we went out into the middle of the desert and threw them all, so they could never be used against us.

I reckon it was an expat who threw it, to keep the curfew in place and try and get the baht to drop some more.

Last week the Baht was sitting at 32.8 against the US Dollar, today it's sitting at 32.3 lowering the Baht gives you less for you money if you're using USD ;)

.......which was found to be Russian-made RGD5 type grenade as its safety pin with serial number erased was discovered at the scene.

When a grenade explodes there is very little left. Out of all the grenades that I have handled over the years, I have never found one with a serial number on it. Maybe the Russians are worried about keeping track of their grenadesrolleyes.gif

I was thinking the serial number may have been on a dog tag attached to the safety pin, I was wondering why they did not just remove the tag instead of filing off the number.

But it seems the serial number is on the lever which I assume detaches when the grenade is thrown. post-20091-0-54613200-1402749814_thumb.j

First; What in the "H" is a Russian Grenade doing in Thailand ? Secondly; Dear General it is going to take more than one flush to clean out the "Corruption Toilet" and the ones who do not like it are going to give you a problem until you finish cleaning out the afore mentioned devise !!

God Speed and Good luck !!

Just hope they catch the pond life that are responsible for this crap action and lock them up for a long time. Is it any wonder we had to have this Junta Government take over, all just proving even more how necessary it is.

Ever been to that very lovely sunny Afghanistan ?

They have loads of nice handy playthings like grenades and assault rifles there.

We the western coalition, naturally try and collect as many of these playthings as possible, as we don't really want to be hit by any of them.

And you naturally try these things out as soldiers, to know how they work, how powerful they are.

And you couldn't have thought this far yourself ?

No I haven't. Yes I could have peterdick but it's hardly the only possible explanation and that's why I asked.

• Like 1

This website always has the worst reporting and horrible news...

What does the bomb exploding hours before curfew have to do with anything. How does anyone know it was made by a Russian just because Russian parts were used...they're suspecting maybe this maybe that but all thats know is.

1. A bomb exploded a location xyz at 7:30 on Friday evening .

2. nothing else.

The explosion happened at about 7.30 p.m.
EOD was alerted of the explosion at 9.30 p.m. and quickly rushed to the scene

Bit of odd timing, there.

Were the police away from their box and didn't return until later?

Did it take them two hours to figure out their box had been bombed?

Do the EOD folks have an unlisted phone number?

Or everyone was out for their dinner break?

apart from the timing, the other interesting thing to notice in the report is .... they quickly rushed to the scene.... How else can you rush other than quickly ?

• Like 1