Bomb explosion rocks capital hours before curfew lifted

Lite Beer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This should drive the conspiracists from under the rock...

Yes, because some people obviously conspired to do someting. :)

See the definition of conspiracy http://www.thefreedictionary.com/conspiracy

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.

Are you claiming that the bomb explosion was an accident? I think it was people conspiring to do something illegal :) As for theories about who or why, i'd have to disappoint you. I don't know :)

BR Robert

The headline here is what is Thai Visa's motivation for describing a handgrenade harmlessly going off in a third world country of 63 million people as a, "Bomb explosion rocks capitol hours before curfew lifted"? Yes there was damage to property but although there was potential for injury no one was injured in the "bomb explosion". Are we selling newspapers here?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Russian made, How do they know this?

You have a very good point...

This grenade is still manufactured in Russia with copies produced in Bulgaria, China (as the Type 59) and Georgia. Many millions of RGD-5s and its clones have been manufactured over the years and although not as advanced as more modern grenades which are specifically designed to penetrate CRISAT standard body armour, the RGD-5 is still an effective and inexpensive weapon. A single RGD-5 grenade costs around $5 US, making it highly affordable during a major conflict when many grenades are required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGD-5

​If the serial number was ground off the lever I seem to recall the police in the UK have a technique for reading serial numbers ground off engine blocks so lets hope a bit of forensic science will lead to the source.

Problem being is if it is a Chines copy, they all have the same serial number which is that of the one they cloned... whistling.gif

Edited by Basil B

That headline is a little bit sensational don't you think?

How about the headline of the email from Thaivisa:

Bomb explosion rocks capital hours before curfew lifted; Tourism industry to be boosted following end of curfew... coffee1.gif

An ordinary criminal background instead of a politically motivated assault, how disappointing that must be for all the haters of the "red scum". Do not worry, sooner or later something will come up that will give reason to execute the absolute power that is now lying in the hands of one single person.

.......which was found to be Russian-made RGD5 type grenade as its safety pin with serial number erased was discovered at the scene.

When a grenade explodes there is very little left. Out of all the grenades that I have handled over the years, I have never found one with a serial number on it. Maybe the Russians are worried about keeping track of their grenadesrolleyes.gif

From what I´ve seen this type of grenade has a serial/lot number stamped on the "spoon", for example after an attack on the NACC offices a group of Red Shirts were caught with the same type of grenade and the numbers were matched with grenades used in other attacks in Bangkok.

I guess they are getting smarter or less cocky now by erasing the numbers.

Nothing like a sensationalist headline to keep the focus on the fact there's bad guys out there!!

Rocks? This implies that the blast was felt all over the Capital, and had devastating results.

Bomb? It was a hand grenade, and I've thrown dozens of that type of Grenade in the past 10 years, and they don't make that much noise, and don't leave much of a mark either if they land on hard ground either. They're a fragmentation Grenade, I know a lot of this stuff is lost in translation but a hand grenade detonation in a city buzzing with everyday life can and often does go unnoticed unless there's casualties, It doesn't even make a deep sounding "thump" as it detonates, it's actually quite a "tinney" sound.

That might explain the reason why there was a delay in reporting it, if there was nobody in the vicinity apart from the person who threw it, then the cops might have wondered why the glass was broken, and started doing a check around the area.

I was round the corner and didn't hear a thing.

I think General P. might like to invite the reporter to be his guest for a couple of days to revise such nonsense and sensationalist headlines. That sort of thing helps no one.

I'm all for freedom of the press but as always, freedom comes with responsibility.

• Like 1

This should drive the conspiracists from under the rock...

Yes, because some people obviously conspired to do someting. smile.png

See the definition of conspiracy http://www.thefreedictionary.com/conspiracy

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.

Are you claiming that the bomb explosion was an accident? I think it was people conspiring to do something illegal smile.png As for theories about who or why, i'd have to disappoint you. I don't know smile.png

BR Robert

I had conspiracists like this in mind:

Ii suspect you are barking up the wrong tree. The size of the explosion was obviously designed to attract attention, but to whom or to what? At a guess I would say it was what the Nation describes as the "insurgents in the restive South" pushing their cause higher up the junta's agenda.

A small hole of two centimetres deep was created by the bomb which was found to be Russian-made RGD5 type grenade as its safety pin with serial number erased was discovered at the scene.

Seems like a small hole.

Bet Ya . thats what you tell ALL the girls.......cheesy.gif

A couple of quality tourists here.

To the Editor: Bomb "ROCKS "the capital?? IS THIS A TABLOID, IS THAT THE IDEA? As a former photojournalist in the newspaper business, I find this word usage inflammatory and irresponsible. It was a small grenade, leaving a little dent in the cement, damaging some tyres, and NO injuries. Don't tell me it was a 'psychological" rocking of the capital, I don't buy that either. In these trying times of heightened tensions and divergent political viewpoints, I suggest more MODERATION in the choice of verbs in your headlines.

• Like 1

a police booth which has its glass windows shattered.

I bet the cop that was having his evening nap (Non Laap), needed to change his underwear soon after.giggle.gif

You obviously cannot read--------- there was no police anywhere near the booth.They turned up to have a look 2 hours latercoffee1.gif

I reckon it was an expat who threw it, to keep the curfew in place and try and get the baht to drop some more.

Last week the Baht was sitting at 32.8 against the US Dollar, today it's sitting at 32.3 lowering the Baht gives you less for you money if you're using USD wink.png

Erm, no. 32.8 to 32,3 per dollar means the value of the baht went up slightly....that's why your dollar buys less.

If I buy 10 candies for a dollar, the candies are valued at 10c each. If the value of the candy goes up to 20 cents, my dollar will only buy 5 candies. So, to get more candies (baht) for my dollar, I have to hope the value drops to 5 cents each whereupon I will get 20 candies for my dollar.

Edited by Seastallion

I reckon it was an expat who threw it, to keep the curfew in place and try and get the baht to drop some more.

Last week the Baht was sitting at 32.8 against the US Dollar, today it's sitting at 32.3 lowering the Baht gives you less for you money if you're using USD wink.png

Erm, no. 32.8 to 32,3 per dollar means the value of the baht went up slightly....that's why your dollar buys less.

If I buy 10 candies for a dollar, the candies are valued at 10c each. If the value of the candy goes up to 20 cents, my dollar will only buy 5 candies. So, to get more candies (baht) for my dollar, I have to hope the value drops to 5 cents each whereupon I will get 20 candies for my dollar.

I guess I was looking at it the wrong way there Seastallion, as I get paid in USD and it goes into my Kasikorn account, and last week at 32.8 I was going to make more Baht for my dollar, this week, compared to this time last month, I was making less. I was thinking that the higher the value of the Baht is better as it makes you more, I'm looking at it the opposite way from you, that when I convert my dollar into Baht, and the candles are 100 baht each, I can buy more :D

• Like 1