In 10 Years I Have Never Had A Conversation With A Thai

bowerboy

ugh. i have to agree with bowerboy in one thing only. thais are intereseted int eh here and now. my husband also didnt ever really ask much about past history etc... but its not because he's not intereseted. its just not a cultural obsession. i know. i live in a coutnry where past history is a cultural obsession to the point of hysteria...

budhhism seems to have influence the thai way of thinking in more ways then one. thais do not obsess about the past or the future. (ever tried to do a family tree? or discuss the background of the village you live in? or talk about someone that died?) buddhism is a lot about the here and now. not dwelling on things you cant change or influence. you have no control over your future. and u cannot change the past. so why bother?

buddhism is about living, getting ill, old, and dying. and then thats it. (rebirth has nothing to do with history). therefore, past history has very little importance. including rememberance days for dead poeple, wars, etc. and as far as the future. in a tropical society where u dont have to really store food for the long hard winter, then planning for the future is also not that important.

tis really one of the things i adore about thais and thailand, coming from israel, the land where the far past and more upto date past dog your footsteps, influence your outlook on life, affect your daily living, its a thrill and a blessing ot be in a country that lives largely in the here and now. no culture of death, rememberance days, memorial days, fasting days, dark and sorrowful holidays....

but that doesnt stop them from discussing things. just not what you might want to discuss. and frankly, around here, most peopel either discuss politics or food or religioun. so whats the difference?

but only int hat respect i agree with him.

• Like 2

I will agree with the OP. Have traveled and lived in almost 10 countries. Thais are squarely the most boring people I've come across. All the other Asians are worlds apart more interesting. Have had awesome friends and conversations with Chinese in Shanghai, Indians throughout my travels there, Japanese are fantastic, Koreans are OK (but a bit too serious for me), Singaporeans, even Indonesians. One of my best friends is an Indonesian guy who works in a large OG operation.

I am not knocking Thais here but they are generally extremely boring, painfully so even. The ones who seem to have much going on are often into whatever it is they are into just for the FACE and popularity. They just want to look good. Thais are extremely superficial in my experience.

Great with simple stuff though. If you want to talk about food or the weather or gossip, they are among the best!

not knocking thais?? lol

Here is one example of being completely out of touch with reality "The Thais I know have very strong opinions and are willing to discuss them"...it is pretty well an established fact that Thai's are probably the least opinionated people in the world (perhaps only the Laos or Myanmar people being less opinionated if that is possible)...I would think this point is beyond debate..to say Thais have very strong opinions flys totally in the face of everything their culture and religion is about..to say they are willing to discuss their strongly held opinions (and all the implications of face this would have for all involved) shows either no knowledge of the Thai way of things or delusion.

Thais are taught not to think or have an opinion on their own. It's pretty difficult to have a meaningful conversation with someone who was taught not to use his/her brain from an early age.

The Thais that I know have very strong opinions and are always willing to discuss them. Of course you have to realise that their version of disagreement doesn't involve shouting and going red in the face.

Well you better start debating mate,try the people that just camped out in Bangkok for 6 months,rekon they would have an opinion or two.Or what about a couple of years ago,people were willing to die for their opinions.

• Like 1

And why would they be nodding off when you are talking,just wondering.

This is for me literally impossible to imagine or picture...after 10 years here and many such similar road trips for work (3 or 4 days together in 4x4's upcountry Thailand and Laos and all the Karaokes and drinking and lunches and womanizing this involves) and I simply could not picture or imagine this scene or conversation in my wildest dreams...

What I can definitely picture on a journey of this length is your companions immediately nodding off to sleep and waking up only when food beckons..

I am not calling you a liar.........just my own personal extensive experience of this exact situation is the absolute opposite of yours..

At very best I could imagine you talking at them and them feigning a few "hmms" and maybe an "ohhh" and an "I see" before nodding off...

On my drive from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville today, I had a great conversation with two Thais--about this thread. We had a pretty good laugh about it, and my friend said we should invite the OP over for lunch sometime. smile.png

Do Thais have conversations among themselves that are of any real subtstance? As far as I can tell it is only ever about food or lottery numbers.

guys: food and football (gambling) is my experience. and the occasional XXX dvd-rip.

women: food and money. and the occasional farang they like to catch.

guitar.gifguitar.gifguitar.gif

I will agree with the OP. Have traveled and lived in almost 10 countries. Thais are squarely the most boring people I've come across. All the other Asians are worlds apart more interesting. Have had awesome friends and conversations with Chinese in Shanghai, Indians throughout my travels there, Japanese are fantastic, Koreans are OK (but a bit too serious for me), Singaporeans, even Indonesians. One of my best friends is an Indonesian guy who works in a large OG operation.

I am not knocking Thais here but they are generally extremely boring, painfully so even. The ones who seem to have much going on are often into whatever it is they are into just for the FACE and popularity. They just want to look good. Thais are extremely superficial in my experience.

Great with simple stuff though. If you want to talk about food or the weather or gossip, they are among the best!

my vote for most boring would go to canadians

"Do Thais have conversations among themselves that are of any real subtstance? As far as I can tell it is only ever about food or lottery numbers."

Add girls and football and you pretty much have it right.

But wait!

What do I talk about with my Ozzy and Brit pals, food, girls and football.

Yesterdays topic, why no decent meat pies in Thailand.

The filling is just mince and gravy, not much of a convo as we all agreed, but worthy of an hour of bashing the local pie manufacturers.

There are local pie manufacturers? Making local meat pies?? Time to have an interesting and insightful conversation with a local person. I'd feel a warm glow of achievement if I secured myself an appetizing edible local pie. Btw, interesting to hear about this from an American; I endured a miserably perfect dearth of meat pies in America too. Is there a secret handshake? o_O

PS: Manufactured meat on a pointy stick does not, in my estimation, approximate a meat pie. Sorry for the snobbery.

Edited by aboctok

With comments like this, and the previous 1, lol, you will never be the bigger man. In fact, those type of comments are childlike. A pity.

Thais are the only nationality I have never really had a meaningful conversation with.....then why every other nationality in the world seems to trust me but not Thai's? No logic in your argument.

" Always with people that spoke excellent English " yet they always say "mai loo"? Dubious.

If you're to be believed, then they revert to "mai roo" because they have no desire to converse with you.

Do you really think you've discovered the OP is lying??? Actually, you sound like you've had very little association with Thai's that speak English. They often mix certain Thai words & phrases with their English.

Why is it that virtually every discussion I read on tv.com has the inevitable a__holes who make rude and snide remarks?

Thais are the only nationality I have never really had a meaningful conversation with.....then why every other nationality in the world seems to trust me but not Thai's? No logic in your argument.

" Always with people that spoke excellent English " yet they always say "mai loo"? Dubious.

If you're to be believed, then they revert to "mai roo" because they have no desire to converse with you.

Do you really think you've discovered the OP is lying??? Actually, you sound like you've had very little association with Thai's that speak English. They often mix certain Thai words & phrases with their English.

Why is it that virtually every discussion I read on tv.com has the inevitable a__holes who make rude and snide remarks?

+1

A simple mind is a joy forever....must be one of the reasons.

You raise an interesting point below that I have often wondered about and pondered..

Is it really Buddhism that leads to this or is it just lack of critical thinking and poor education? Personally I think it is poor education. Whilst they hold a lot of beliefs and we see buddhism in every day lives I dont think the Thais are really any more religous than the average European....i dont think religion and Buddhism influences their thinking any more than Christianity affects mine...

No, i think it is more to do with lack of education and being raised not to ask questions and to not think too much

ugh. i have to agree with bowerboy in one thing only. thais are intereseted int eh here and now. my husband also didnt ever really ask much about past history etc... but its not because he's not intereseted. its just not a cultural obsession. i know. i live in a coutnry where past history is a cultural obsession to the point of hysteria...

budhhism seems to have influence the thai way of thinking in more ways then one. thais do not obsess about the past or the future. (ever tried to do a family tree? or discuss the background of the village you live in? or talk about someone that died?) buddhism is a lot about the here and now. not dwelling on things you cant change or influence. you have no control over your future. and u cannot change the past. so why bother?

buddhism is about living, getting ill, old, and dying. and then thats it. (rebirth has nothing to do with history). therefore, past history has very little importance. including rememberance days for dead poeple, wars, etc. and as far as the future. in a tropical society where u dont have to really store food for the long hard winter, then planning for the future is also not that important.

tis really one of the things i adore about thais and thailand, coming from israel, the land where the far past and more upto date past dog your footsteps, influence your outlook on life, affect your daily living, its a thrill and a blessing ot be in a country that lives largely in the here and now. no culture of death, rememberance days, memorial days, fasting days, dark and sorrowful holidays....

but that doesnt stop them from discussing things. just not what you might want to discuss. and frankly, around here, most peopel either discuss politics or food or religioun. so whats the difference?

• Like 1

You raise an interesting point below that I have often wondered about and pondered..

Is it really Buddhism that leads to this or is it just lack of critical thinking and poor education? Personally I think it is poor education. Whilst they hold a lot of beliefs and we see buddhism in every day lives I dont think the Thais are really any more religous than the average European....i dont think religion and Buddhism influences their thinking any more than Christianity affects mine...

No, i think it is more to do with lack of education and being raised not to ask questions and to not think too much

Thais are mostly forcibly dumbed down through their schooling (which is not to be confused with education). As we see the results playing out on a grand scale here in the political arena, Thais are taught from day one that harmony is to be honored among all other things and that questioning authority in the hierarchy is to be avoided. They are taught to know their place in the societal hierarchy and to accept it. It's essentially a lighter version of the Indian Caste system (not as rigid, of course)

Of course, critical thinking goes flatly against not questioning authority.

The kind of Thais that Bowerboy and some others of us would end up having conversations with -- educated Thais, likely educated to some degree outside of Thailand either in formative years or later years -- would generally not find it comfortable to live and work in Thailand. They do their degrees outside of Thailand and then stay wherever they are: US, UK, Oz, SG, etc. I have plenty of Thai acquaintances who tried to work in Thailand but couldn't stand it and so left. Many seem to look within Asia - SG, China to a lesser extent and Japan for only the toughest of the Thais. Japanese culture requires a level of discipline that most Thais cannot muster having lived in such a relaxed culture.

Again, not banging Thais in this instance, but despite the anecdotes of several users to the contrary, I think it's a fair stereotype that most Thais do not posses the skills or interests that would make them good conversationalists. As such, Thailand is a lonely place for the intellectually curious. Even the best and brightest Thai thinkers generally leave much to be desired in their inability to work logically through ideas and especially when it comes to having their ideas challenged and defending them. It all breaks down when the FACE issue arises. You can see a bit of this if you follow the political commentary from the top Thai thinkers. Just usually very weak.

Now, for the older guys who are close to retirement or who have already retired, I imagine you would generally not be too keen on thinking a lot and having deep, intellectually challenging conversations. I imagine, rather, that in your comfortable years, having worked your butts off for some number of long years, you are quite content with talking about the latest 'som tam' stall and how it hasn't rained in 3 days and how you need to take 3 showers per day to be comfortable. Nothing wrong in that.

• Like 1

Have to agree with soutpeel.....must be something to do with you.

My Thai is limited and have met VERY few Thai's who speak decent English ....BUT have had many conversations with Thai's (although somewhat animated at times) wherein they discuss their lives (because I asked) and asked about mine, politics, family,travels, children...etc.

I find the Thai's very social and very inquisitive .....so I can only guess that you haven't asked the right questions?

I also have to agree...Sorry it must be you, I think they Bua you.

I speak good Thai and I joke around with Thai's, make fun of each other, talk about politics, talk about what was on TV, even in the villages, when talking to the in laws and their neighbours and is always reciprocal conversation, they always want to know about me and were I come from.

As an owner builder and building a house I was the boss, no problem with the conversation.

French Canadians

"Do Thais have conversations among themselves that are of any real subtstance? As far as I can tell it is only ever about food or lottery numbers."

Add girls and football and you pretty much have it right.

But wait!

What do I talk about with my Ozzy and Brit pals, food, girls and football.

Yesterdays topic, why no decent meat pies in Thailand.

The filling is just mince and gravy, not much of a convo as we all agreed, but worthy of an hour of bashing the local pie manufacturers.

There are local pie manufacturers? Making local meat pies?? Time to have an interesting and insightful conversation with a local person. I'd feel a warm glow of achievement if I secured myself an appetizing edible local pie. Btw, interesting to hear about this from an American; I endured a miserably perfect dearth of meat pies in America too. Is there a secret handshake? o_O

PS: Manufactured meat on a pointy stick does not, in my estimation, approximate a meat pie. Sorry for the snobbery.

good meat pies in surin and khun han

With comments like this, and the previous 1, lol, you will never be the bigger man. In fact, those type of comments are childlike. A pity.

truth sucks dont it pal

Thais are mostly forcibly dumbed down through their schooling (which is not to be confused with education). As we see the results playing out on a grand scale here in the political arena, Thais are taught from day one that harmony is to be honored among all other things and that questioning authority in the hierarchy is to be avoided. They are taught to know their place in the societal hierarchy and to accept it. It's essentially a lighter version of the Indian Caste system (not as rigid, of course)

Of course, critical thinking goes flatly against not questioning authority.

The kind of Thais that Bowerboy and some others of us would end up having conversations with -- educated Thais, likely educated to some degree outside of Thailand either in formative years or later years -- would generally not find it comfortable to live and work in Thailand. They do their degrees outside of Thailand and then stay wherever they are: US, UK, Oz, SG, etc. I have plenty of Thai acquaintances who tried to work in Thailand but couldn't stand it and so left. Many seem to look within Asia - SG, China to a lesser extent and Japan for only the toughest of the Thais. Japanese culture requires a level of discipline that most Thais cannot muster having lived in such a relaxed culture.

Again, not banging Thais in this instance, but despite the anecdotes of several users to the contrary, I think it's a fair stereotype that most Thais do not posses the skills or interests that would make them good conversationalists. As such, Thailand is a lonely place for the intellectually curious. Even the best and brightest Thai thinkers generally leave much to be desired in their inability to work logically through ideas and especially when it comes to having their ideas challenged and defending them. It all breaks down when the FACE issue arises. You can see a bit of this if you follow the political commentary from the top Thai thinkers. Just usually very weak.

Now, for the older guys who are close to retirement or who have already retired, I imagine you would generally not be too keen on thinking a lot and having deep, intellectually challenging conversations. I imagine, rather, that in your comfortable years, having worked your butts off for some number of long years, you are quite content with talking about the latest 'som tam' stall and how it hasn't rained in 3 days and how you need to take 3 showers per day to be comfortable. Nothing wrong in that.

not banging thais? lol

So true what the poster said about educated Thais.smile.png Talk to a Thai with a university education and who has travelled and ask them their opinion about a regular Thai person and having a conversation with a basic Thai.smile.png You think farang look down on poor Thais? You ain't seen nothing yet!smile.png Outright racism.

Can one be racist against one's own race?wai2.gif

That being said, there is little doubt that the various "factions" in Thai society bear little love for each other and they treat each other differently.

I had a hiso chinese TG (to my everlasting regret - she only paid her own way, which is probably a step up from what most farangs experience, but anyway ...).

In any case, when she was applying for a visa to travel with me, I commented that it appeared very likely that despite her fulfilling the requirements, it might be problematice to get a visa (the country in question basically treats all asian women as if they are in fact bar girls when applying for visas). Her response was interesting.

"No problem, I don't look like them and I don't speak like them" ("them" being all the other girls applying for visas).

Edited by DrDweeb

So true what the poster said about educated Thais.smile.png Talk to a Thai with a university education and who has travelled and ask them their opinion about a regular Thai person and having a conversation with a basic Thai.smile.png You think farang look down on poor Thais? You ain't seen nothing yet!smile.png Outright racism.

Can one be racist against one's own race?wai2.gif

That being said, there is little doubt that the various "factions" in Thai society bear little love for each other.

yes they can

hello everybody.
I live in a neighborhood and I also my hairdresser is Thai and very friendly, he speaks easily with me in Thai. He don't speak English.
When Thais see you make an effort to learn their language they become much more open-minded.
Speaking English is good but not enough. The Thai language is also very subtle, such as English and as the French and many other languages.
I live every day with Thais people. Everyday Thais speak with me. Sometimes it's difficult because I don't understand everytime.
but I'm learning.
I feel them very understanding and patient with me , i think it's me must to adapt to their language and their way of life and not the reverse.

So I try to speak their language which seems to me quite logical.
So go to France for a ride to paris you'll see how foreigners are received.
Speaking English is not the ultimate science.
Speaking English is for the business to make money, in order to quickly understand and make money, not friends.
You only speak of your professional relationships.
If you want to return to their intimacies of mind are subtle as their language full of poetry.
Today I begin to speak Thai better than speaking in English. I'm so bad in English like the members of the government in France my country.

I am laughing because i think's its very very bad for credibility and business in the world.

When a stranger tries to talk with me in French I find it very fun and interesting, he becomes more sympathetic following in my eyes.
I think for Thais is the same thing.

Bowerboy you are surely sympathetic , Thais people you describe finaly are like you and me, and everything will be much better. if you adapt.

Senior member , I appreciate what you just wrote.
Every day I tell myself that I'm lucky to live in a country so different from mine. I am privileged to be able to realize exactly what I wanted. I met great people in Thailand, but like everywhere in the world for sure.
My wife is Thai fantastic kindness and goodness is without equal in my eyes. This is normal I love my wife.
My life full of bouncing France calms down a bit today, disappointments and betrayals remained in France.
I am happy to live with Thais and my new family.
Thank you to them to accommodate me and take me as I am.

Whenever an OP starts a thread concerning something less than flattering about Thais...the Thai Apologist's claws come out...let's try to keep it civil...speak to the subject...and not feel obligated to attack the poster...

When the poster denigrates Thais with barely concealed racism and tripe he will be called to account by better informed and more knowledgable posters.

"he will be called to account by better informed and more knowledgable posters"

Nobody is better informed about the OPs experience than the OP.

& I agree with OP entirely.

Anybody have knowledge how the Burmese would measure, on this topic?

BTW, it is also commonly observed that Thais do not read books -

"Anybody have knowledge how the Burmese would measure, on this topic?"

Aung San Su Kyi's dialogues dont seem too shoddy.