Spain press mourns World Cup 'catastrophe'

Jonathan Fairfield

Spain press mourns World Cup 'catastrophe'

000_DV1761939.jpg

JAVIER SORIANO / AFP - Spain's forward Diego Costa ® reacts after a goal scored by the Netherlands during a Group B football match

Spanish newspapers on Saturday bemoaned the "humiliation" and "catastrophe" of world champions Spain's 5-1 battering by the Netherlands in their opening World Cup match in Brazil.
Most papers splashed on their front pages a photo of Spain's goalkeeper and captain Iker Casillas kneeling with head bowed as Dutch players celebrated after ripping apart the Spanish defence.
Leading Madrid sports daily Marca mourned "a historic catastrophe", dubbing the Netherlands' performance "a goal-scoring spree of Biblical proportions" against Spain.
With two Euro championships plus the 2010 World Cup title under their belt, expectations for Spain in this competition could not be higher and the response to Friday night's upset was bitter.
"This is not just any old defeat. It is a historic disaster. There is no precedent of this scale in the history of the World Cup," Marca wrote.
"Humiliation", ran the single headline on the front page of general daily El Mundo.
"A ridiculous start," screamed Barcelona-based daily Sport on its front page.
Barcelona general newspaper El Periodico saw the defending world champions, known as La Roja or the Reds, as "Red with shame".
Madrid sports daily AS mourned a "Total breakdown" by Spain in the second half as they gave away a 1-0 lead earned through Xabi Alonso's contentious first-half penalty.
Spanish papers noted bitterly that the scoreline -- two goals each by Arjen Robben and Robin Van Persie and one by Stefan de Vrij -- was sweet revenge for the Dutch for their 1-0 defeat by Spain in the 2010 World Cup final in South Africa.
The Spanish press's only source of consolation was pointing out that Spain lost its first game in that World Cup, to Switzerland.
Many commentators mourned the ineffective performances of past heros of the Spain squad, such as Casillas, defenders Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique and midfielders Andres Iniesta and Xavi Hernandez.
Some thought the defeat marked the end of an era for the world and European champions.
"Spain is like the remains of an empire that knows it is near its end," wrote noted commentator Joan Maria Battle in Sport.
"Casillas was unrecognisable. Pique and Sergio Ramos were uncoordinated, as if they had never played together," while Iniesta and Xavi dropped out of sight in the second half, Batlle wrote.
If Spain wants to extend its winning streak after the 2010 World Cup crown and the past two Euro championships, coach Vicente del Bosque "will have to seek urgent solutions", Marca warned.
"The hardest job will be in maintaining team spirit."
Changes to the team were demanded for the next game against Chile, who opened with a 3-1 win over Australia, on June 18.
"It is time to think quickly, draw firm conclusions and make logical changes in the next starting line-up to get back into this World Cup," wrote Lobo Carrasco in Barcelona sports paper Mundo Deportivo.
"Winning it seems is almost impossible, but it all depends on beating Chile."
afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-06-14

Greeks, are very close to the Spaniards, but I sincerely hope, I don't see similar headlines on the Greek newspapers tomorrow morning.

I don't have a doubt, that they will qualify from this group.

As about later.......we wait and see.

Greeks, are very close to the Spaniards, but I sincerely hope, I don't see similar headlines on the Greek newspapers tomorrow morning.

Greece is a disgrace for european football and NOTHING like the spaniards.

When they won one Euro championship it was a disgrace for football.

Their gameplan: Make 1 lucky goal on a corner or a free-kick then back home with 11 players in their own box. Worlds most BORING football!!

Fewestst goals scored by team winning the euro championship, and no wonder when they didn´t even try to attack.

I´m neither Spanish or Dutch. Just a lover of good football, and Greece is not a country who plays good football.

Colombia owned Greece, and the greeks can start packing their bag to go home early thank goodness!

• Like 2

Their gameplan: Make 1 lucky goal on a corner or a free-kick then back home with 11 players in their own box. Worlds most BORING football!!

Fewestst goals scored by team winning the euro championship, and no wonder when they didn´t even try to attack.

I´m neither Spanish or Dutch. Just a lover of good football, and Greece is not a country who plays good football.

Colombia owned Greece, and the greeks can start packing their bag to go home early thank goodness!

I want all the African teams to meet them at the airport on the way home.

I didn't think of you as a racist before, Chicog.

What happened to you?

Is it the World Cup Spirit?

C'mon. Let's see Ivory Coast go through. They were pretty entertaining today. Bearded Drogba. Imperial Yaya. Gervinho's headband. Bony's headers. Wacky Kolo. Nutjob Tiote. Even old Salomon Kalou.

Quite a cast of characters.

I thought near every countries footy was played differently. You win by whatever means. You cannot run a team down for winning can you ?

• Like 1

I thought near every countries footy was played differently. You win by whatever means. You cannot run a team down for winning can you ?

Yes you can. Certain countries and clubs expect their teams to win in an entertaining way.

Yes you can. Certain countries and clubs expect their teams to win in an entertaining way.

So folk must do the Tango before planting the ball in the net.............rolleyes.gif

Have you seen the difference in play between Terry Griffiths and Alex Higgins to win a game of snooker.............coffee1.gif

Snooker...?

Oh, you must mean that game that around 5000 people care about, compared to footballs 5 billion people. wink.png

Just kidding, I love a good snooker game also, but it´s still incomparable regarding this issue. Greece just plays boring football, and I as a football lover expressed my opinion on it.

Edited by DonThaiToMe
  • Like 1