working in the garden

One can take care of things as a good "housefather" would, without any problems whatsoever. No need for a work permit to wash your car/motorbike, maintain your garden, clean the windows or whatever.

Working in your house or garden or cleaning or repairing your motor vehicle is not going to meet the definition of work in the 2008 Working of Aliens Act, which includes doing unpaid work, unless, for example, you have a large garden which looks like a commercial farm or you you have a garage that looks like a commercial operation. People get arrested for working in their own bar or restaurant all the time but I have never heard of anyone arrested for digging the garden or washing his car.

• Like 1

Using the logic that you can't legally "work in your garden" is the same as saying I can't cook breakfast for my wife. Or clean the dishes. Both of those are work and totally legal, as is anything else you do for yourself.

Using the logic that you can't legally "work in your garden" is the same as saying I can't cook breakfast for my wife. Or clean the dishes. Both of those are work and totally legal, as is anything else you do for yourself.

I like your logic that means my wife has to do it for me

• Like 1

This seems to be a weekly topic here at the hub of "duh."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733050-legalities-with-regard-to-working/?p=7952586&hl=%2Byaowapa+%2Bpibulpol

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Special-Report-Permission-to-function-in-Phuket/22548

However, Yaowapa Pibulpol, chief of the Phuket Provincial Employment Office, the government office established to specifically regulate and administer employment law, maintained that the wording does not allow officers to apply the law beyond its intended scope.

“Foreigners cannot perform any work – in the true sense of the word – without a work permit. And they may only perform the work listed in the work permit and only at the place of work listed in the permit.

But that doesn’t mean they can’t cook their own meals, clean their own houses or tend to their own gardens. Of course they can, but as soon as they are hired or profit by doing any of these things, they are ‘working’,” she said.

“And any foreigners who want to build their own boats on their own time, using their own skills and experience, for their own personal use are not breaking the law. They can do this, but they cannot build a boat so they can sell it later on. That would be profiting from the work,” Ms Yaowapa added.

Not applying the law beyond its intended scope is also what makes it legal for foreigners to assist in public cleanup campaigns and other community projects – as long as the volunteer work is not regular, she added.

“Being a volunteer for an organization requires a work permit. This is because although you might not get money from the volunteer work, you might get food or a place to stay as a reward. So if you do not have a work permit, you are illegal,” MsYaowapa said.

Edited by Suradit69

Haha whoever told the OP that is an idiot. If a "farang" or basically a foreigner without a work permit or permanent residency/citizenship etc. weren't even allowed to lift a toilet seat in his OWN home, I'm quite sure a large number of relationships here in Thailand would be broken up. I know that my fiancee would break up with me if I didn't help around the house - in fact, doing "manly" jobs like washing the car, adding water to the car batteries, mowing the lawn, maintaining the garden and taking out the garbage, even washing the dishes is what I'm expected to do and what I'm happy to do. Often I do more than that and doing these little things proves that I'm a capable responsible person. it might sound trivial, but imagine if you never washed your own clothes and 5 years later someone asked you to operate a washing machine. As easy it sounds, especially for an intelligent person, would you be able to do it?!

If it weren't legal to flush your own turds, wash your own clothes (that of your own family), fix your own car, etc. I think a lot of countries would be having a good laugh at Thailand. Fortunately however this is just a bar stool rumor gone too far.

To the OP: don't believe everything you hear, especially if someone at a bar told you.

Or flush your own toilet, lift your own toilet seat, etc.