How soon can I start teaching when I touch down in Bangkok?

Hello All,

I am going to be in Thailand Thursday night. I am on a double entry visa (tourist). I have a possible teaching position lined up when I get into Bangkok, and I could possibly start Monday.

Now my questions...

1) Can I start on Monday or do I need to wait until the paper work goes through? You're not supposed to be working on a tourist visa and I'd like to avoid any issues.

2) How long does it take for the paperwork to go through? Also, what do they need? I worked in South Korea for two years and the process to get documents is quite extensive. I had to get FBI prints, and I had to get my college degree apostatized. Also, they wanted a sealed college transcript. Is it the same process in Thailand or is it easier/faster?

3) How do Thais deal with people who break their teaching contracts? I have a position lined up in Korea in September. I don't want to sit around and spend my money in Bangkok. I'd like to work and earn some money while I'm there. I was going to work until late August and then fly to South Korea to start my job there. It's still up in the air as nothing is concrete yet. I could just stay in Thailand and with the school.

I guess that's it. Supposedly the school needs a teacher immediately so they are a bit desperate.

Thanks.

You wont make any serious money teaching in Thailand, you would probable made more on the social in the USA. Not been negative, but that's the truth. Unless your moving for some other reason's like been a sxxpat or Alco I would stay where you are!

• Like 1

You wont make any serious money teaching in Thailand, you would probable made more on the social in the USA. Not been negative, but that's the truth. Unless your moving for some other reason's like been a sxxpat or Alco I would stay where you are!

I'm very aware that I will not be making a lot of money in Thailand. That's not the point. I have a gf who lives in Bangkok so I will be staying with her. I'm not going to spend 10 years teaching in Thailand. This is just a temporary thing.

Guys, I would like to refrain from negative statements. I'm fully aware of the issues when one works in Thailand. The pay sucks. You can't make money, etc..

Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm very aware that I will not be making a lot of money in Thailand. That's not the point. I have a gf who lives in Bangkok so I will be staying with her. I'm not going to spend 10 years teaching in Thailand. This is just a temporary thing.

Guys, I would like to refrain from negative statements. I'm fully aware of the issues when one works in Thailand. The pay sucks. You can't make money, etc..

Thanks.

Really you don't f..all till you live here for long term everything will be against you as you will be a farang with no rights to own anything or say anything, a girlfriend means nothing over here LMFAO, is she poor? have a kid that's she is not telling you about? does she want to go to the west?

All you probable don't know and will learn the hard way. I'M NOT BEEN NEGIVATIVE, FAR FROM IT BUT SOME EXPERIENCED ADVISE GOES A LONG.

WAY....

Sorry but your been naive on the situation, trust me I am a good guy.

Edited by Display
  • Like 1

That's going to be next Monday.

Thanks.

Not going to happen.

Work permits for teachers are issued to qualified teachers only - you mentioned college but no teaching degree?

AFAIK, it takes at least two-three weeks to get a proper work permit issued, and that's the quickest route (read into that what you like).

Thanks.

Really you don't f..all till you live here for long term everything will be against you as you will be a farang with no rights to own anything or say anything, a girlfriend means nothing over here LMFAO, is she poor? have a kid that's she is not telling you about? does she want to go to the west?

All you probable don't know and will learn the hard way. I'M NOT BEEN NEGIVATIVE, FAR FROM IT BUT SOME EXPERIENCED ADVISE GOES A LONG.

WAY....

Sorry but your been native on the situation, trust me I am a good guy.

I didn't say that you were being negative. I'm aware of the issues falangs face when we decide yo teach in Thailand. Out of all the Asian countries Thailand is probably the worst when it comes to pay and other ammenties. For instance, in Korea I had a free place to live, my air fare was covered and I was making twice the pay when compared to a teacher in Thailand. Also, I was given an extra paycheck at the end of my contract. I will not get any of those things in Thailand.

As for my girl. I am using my time with her to see if we are compatible or not. If I feel that it's not working out then I will leave and move on. I have the power to do this and I will utilize it if I feel that it's not working out.

I didn't say that you were a negative person. Still, your post had nothing to do with my questions. I would like to stay on topic. That's all.

Thanks.

• Like 1

That's going to be next Monday.

Thanks.

Not going to happen.

Work permits for teachers are issued to qualified teachers only - you mentioned college but no teaching degree?

AFAIK, it takes at least two-three weeks to get a proper work permit issued, and that's the quickest route (read into that what you like).

I have a teaching degree. I'm a qualified regular/special ed teacher in NJ. I taught in South Korea for two years, and I can tell you that the process to teach in Korea is very strict.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks.

WAY....

I didn't say that you were being negative. I'm aware of the issues falangs face when we decide yo teach in Thailand. Out of all the Asian countries Thailand is probably the worst when it comes to pay and other ammenties. For instance, in Korea I had a free place to live, my air fare was covered and I was making twice the pay when compared to a teacher in Thailand. Also, I was given an extra paycheck at the end of my contract. I will not get any of those things in Thailand.

As for my girl. I am using my time with her to see if we are compatible or not. If I feel that it's not working out then I will leave and move on. I have the power to do this and I will utilize it if I feel that it's not working out.

I didn't say that you were a negative person. Still, your post had nothing to do with my questions. I would like to stay on topic. That's all.

Thanks.

That all good that you have your head firmly on your shoulder's, good for you, you seem like a young enough guy that wants to enjoy life! Like myself, good on you and good luck! I was only trying to give advise but I'm sure you are well able to look after yourself! smile.png

Edited by Display
  • Like 1

Also working as a teacher on a tourist visa is normal in Thailand their are 1000's of people doing this, its not a issue. Till you get a working visa.

Edited by Display

Thanks.

WAY....

Thanks.

That all good that you have your head firmly on your shoulder's, good for you, you seem like a young enough guy that wants to enjoy life! Like myself, good on you and good luck! I was only trying to give advise but I'm sure you are well able to look after yourself! smile.png

No problem. It can be difficult to gauge if the poster is being an a-hole or is actually a decent person by just reading their post.

thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Also working as a teacher on a tourist visa is normal in Thailand their are 1000's of people doing this, its not a issue.

Really? On my visa it states that working on a tourist visa is not allowed. I've also read that online work counts as actual work and is not permitted in Thailand.

Don't know how true that is.

Also working as a teacher on a tourist visa is normal in Thailand their are 1000's of people doing this, its not a issue.

Really? On my visa it states that working on a tourist visa is not allowed. I've also read that online work counts as actual work and is not permitted in Thailand.

Don't know how true that is.

It's the law but as they say in Thailand "This is Thailand" it is not enforced, easy, you can work on your tourist visa till you get your working visa, I know many guys n girl that are working all over Thailand with a Tourist visa for many year's no problem!

• Like 1

The worst thing that happens is I spend 2-2.5 months in Thailand, and then I fly to Korea for my job in September.

Can I find part time work teaching? Is that even possible?

Please check your inbox. Can't believe how much nonsense people are able to write.

Cheers-wai2.gif

• Like 1

The worst thing that happens is I spend 2-2.5 months in Thailand, and then I fly to Korea for my job in September.

Please check your inbox. Can't believe how much nonsense people are able to write.

Cheers-wai2.gif

Its all true, I am not lying about anything I posted?

Cheers-wai2.gif

Good job. I was waiting for someone to drop the hammer. What are these guys on?

• Like 2

Cheers-wai2.gif

Its all true, I am not lying about anything I posted?

No, You're just totally off-topic, disruptive, and unhelpful. I kept waiting for this very patient OP to get an actual answer to his question and it didn't arrive.

I suspect the help he needs will arrive from Sirchai via PM.

That's fine. I just take in what people tell me and discard the rest.

If you read my other post on whether or not I should teach in Thailand you will see that I got hammered quite good. It's only the internet so I don't take things too personal.

:)

It's normal, but not legal, to work on a tourist visa until your paperwork is sorted out. You could be waiting for 2 months for a work permit. If you have a probation period written into your contract, it could be longer.

Be aware that working on a Tourist visa is illegal. The chances of getting caught are rather slim and the chances of getting into trouble if the paperwork has been submitted are even less. We had a teacher on a tourist visa who got caught but faced no punishment because the school had submitted his paperwork. But that said, it is illegal.

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the OP would have to get a provisional TL first, since he will not have taken the Thai Language and Culture course, which I thought was required for everyone.

Since it is the school that will probably be preparing the paperwork, you can expect delays.

Does your new employer know that you are leaving in September? There is a break in October and it might leave the school in a difficult position if you leave at the time when the exams and grades are being done.

Be aware that working on a Tourist visa is illegal. The chances of getting caught are rather slim and the chances of getting into trouble if the paperwork has been submitted are even less. We had a teacher on a tourist visa who got caught but faced no punishment because the school had submitted his paperwork. But that said, it is illegal.

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the OP would have to get a provisional TL first, since he will not have taken the Thai Language and Culture course, which I thought was required for everyone.

Since it is the school that will probably be preparing the paperwork, you can expect delays.

Does your new employer know that you are leaving in September? There is a break in October and it might leave the school in a difficult position if you leave at the time when the exams and grades are being done.

Thanks for the reply Scott. I don't want to put myself in a bad position when it comes to teaching. I didn't know that teachers need to take a Thai culture and language course. In Korea nothing like that exist.

I know paperwork takes time. I don't have the job yet and I'm not going to be 100% sure until I get to Bangkok. In regard to leaving the school in a difficult position I didn't realize that there was a break in October.

Thanks.

Edited by benj005

I thought the Thai culture and teaching ethics course has to be submitted when applying for the second round? ( After two years of teaching on a provisional TL, good for two years)

Once the OP has started at a school and they produce the needed documents, I don't see any problems for the OP. I might be wrong.

Or let's put it this way: How many of us had started with a work permit? The OP will have to change his visa status by obtaining a visa in let's say Sawannakhet/Laos.

That should happen immediately and no problems will occur.

Then he'll be on a Non-B and waiting for the provisional TL.

Welcome to the jungle.-thumbsup.gif

file_278f5890c1a7ab5c1abfabe42416057f.pdf

file_94be873d1eade2e2fd771994e86d6c1f.pdf

Once the paperwork is ready, which for us takes about 2 to 3 weeks, then the applicant has to go to Laos to get the non-immigrant B visa. After the visa is granted, then the applicant can start the Work Permit process. The paperwork will depend on having all the correct documentation.

If the school you where you are applying is in a desperate situation, then you might want to be straight forward about your plan. They may need you until they can find a permanent teacher. Also, there are language schools that are an option.

Best of luck.

Once the paperwork is ready, which for us takes about 2 to 3 weeks, then the applicant has to go to Laos to get the non-immigrant B visa. After the visa is granted, then the applicant can start the Work Permit process. The paperwork will depend on having all the correct documentation.

If the school you where you are applying is in a desperate situation, then you might want to be straight forward about your plan. They may need you until they can find a permanent teacher. Also, there are language schools that are an option.

Best of luck.

There're schools and schools. The documents needed for a Non-B can be "produced" in two, or three days. Even if it takes a week, it wouldn't be a problem.

Once the school's administrators are familiar with the procedures, it can be done pretty fast. Just my own personal experience.-wai2.gif

The invitation to get the non-immigrant B is written by the MOE. We have to send the paperwork to the MOE, they issue a letter and the person then takes the letter and the paperwork to the embassy/consulate. How long it takes depends on how long the MOE decides to take. At one point some years back, it took 2 1/2 months because the person who approves the letter was gone and they didn't know when she/he would be back!

I work with 4 different provinces and the procedure and times varies a great deal from one to the other. The OP will be in Bangkok, it sounds like (although some of the greater Bangkok area covers other provinces, such as Samut Prakharn). Bangkok is rather pedantic.

I will have to check with our visa girl, but I know she was sending the paperwork to the TCT as well and at one point they were making the preliminary approval. I am not sure right now if it is the MOE or the TCT that issues the initial request for approval of the non-immigrant visa.

Maybe you can find a school or language school that's interested in your services short time.

But, be upfront. Breaking contracts, the apparent ease with which you are willing to do it, says a lot about your values and world views. The schools and pupils are not just there for your personal convenience. Would you act the same way in the US or South Korea?

• Like 1

Take no notice of these negative, off-topic comments...pm me and I'll give you good info!

• Like 2

The invitation to get the non-immigrant B is written by the MOE. We have to send the paperwork to the MOE, they issue a letter and the person then takes the letter and the paperwork to the embassy/consulate. How long it takes depends on how long the MOE decides to take. At one point some years back, it took 2 1/2 months because the person who approves the letter was gone and they didn't know when she/he would be back!

I work with 4 different provinces and the procedure and times varies a great deal from one to the other. The OP will be in Bangkok, it sounds like (although some of the greater Bangkok area covers other provinces, such as Samut Prakharn). Bangkok is rather pedantic.

I will have to check with our visa girl, but I know she was sending the paperwork to the TCT as well and at one point they were making the preliminary approval. I am not sure right now if it is the MOE or the TCT that issues the initial request for approval of the non-immigrant visa.

AS far as I know is it not the MoE that has to issue that letter. It's usually the local educational area XX office, which of course are part of the MoE.

Might be different in Bangkok. Here in the lower northeast, you can get this needed letter within one, or two days. -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai