Thailand reverses earlier decision, backs ILO protocol on forced labour

Lite Beer

Thus proving International pressure from the public outrage works.thumbsup.gif

This is called pressure of popular public opinion. Are we learning yet ? whistling.gif

Well the last government didn't try to fix it.

Or the one before that. You'd have thought this new one would have the gumption to take this opportunity to chip away at international perception the first time round - not make an embarrassing U turn when it's too late.

Nice try, was the agreement up for signing when the before-last government was running the show? No, it wasn't.

Place blame at feet of former (your hero) government that got tossed for being jerks. Thankyouverymuch.

Oh, I thought you were against slave labour and trafficking in general but you just want to play politics instead. For a minute there I thought you were sincere.

FYI http://www.hrw.org/news/2010/05/05/letter-prime-minister-abhisit-thailands-candidacy-un-human-rights-council

Edited by fab4

With some things planned months if not years in advance it's not immediately clear to me if the stance reversed was originally set, or approved by the NCPO, or just leftover (and forgotten) from the Yingluck government.

Any pointer to the truth in this?

Hey, they are talking about forced labor, not slavery......blink.png I thought forced labor was early baby delivery.... As far as last government didn't fix it.... let's just extend that. No government here ever tried to "fix it". Slavery suits the unique cultural values of Thailand that are just not understood by the diplomats who attempt to impose cultural imperialism on this fine Buddhist land of smiles.

"Thai law provided all workers in Thailand with protection in relation to working conditions as well as related benefits regardless of nationality, she said"

I am sure the numerous Burmese and Cambodian's being held on Thai fishing boats will be glad to know this.

The initial position had the merit of honesty: Thailand has no serious intention of abolishing forced labour.

The new position has the demerit of being unbelievable: Thailand has no serious intention of abolishing forced labour.

• Like 2

Thailand gives a damn shit on human rights, always did and at least for a long time it will, they did not sign the UN refugee charta, they work together with countries like North Korea to keep North korean refugees locked in the IDC without access to lawyers or any help. And all parties agreed to that...

So not surprising what happens in the fishing industries...

"the new legally binding ILO Protocol on Forced Labour, which aims to advance prevention, protection and compensation measures, "

I'd like to know what those are. It would be a very strong incentive to abolish slavery for ship owners if they have to pay compensation to the poor men whenever they are caught with slaves.