Cambodian labour exodus from Thailand continues today

Lite Beer

Cambodian labour exodus from Thailand continues today

6-14-2014-5-10-21-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) for Asia-Pacific said 37,000 Cambodian migrants left Thailand on Friday and another 6,000 tried to leave Saturday morning, bringing the total to 60,000 over the past seven days.

IOM is an inter-governmental organisation in the field of migration, with 155 member states, a further 11 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries.

IOM’s Cambodia office has sent three buses to help transport the returnees, but is concerned that flows have suddenly increased over recent days, placing a strain on services at this, the main border crossing, between the two countries.

“There are usually only about 100 migrants coming through each day,” said Leul Mekonnen, IOM’s acting chief of mission in Cambodia.

“But we are already seeing more than 1,000 a day and we do not know what the coming days hold.”

IOM Cambodia is working closely with Cambodian immigration officers at the Poi Pet Immigration Centre at the request of the Department of Immigration to assist the migrants with onward transport to their provinces.

More than half of the migrants are women and children. Aside from transport, there is also a growing need for food, water, health care and shelter. IOM is currently assessing needs and looking for emergency funding to deal with the sudden influx.

“IOM’s primary concern now is the safety and dignity of vulnerable migrants,” said Mr Mekonnen. “We are doing our best to get them home as soon as possible.”

Pol Lt Col Benjapol Rodsawat, deputy chief of Sa Kaeo immigration police, said local officials were trying to explain to Cambodian workers that they should not be afraid if they work in Thailand legally, saying that the key border checkpoint in Aranyaprathet would never be closed.

Pravit Khiengpol, director general of Thai Labour Ministry’s Employment Department said a number of Thai companies would suffer a shortage of workers following the mass exodus of the Cambodian workers.

Official statistics show that a total of 441,569 Cambodian workers have registered with the Employment Department.

Meanwhile China’s state news agency Xinhua reported Friday Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen had ordered 150 military trucks to transport those migrant workers back to their home provinces.

On Wednesday, Koy Kuong, spokesman for the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the massive deportation was due to the Thai military coup, which forced factories and enterprises to stop using illegal migrant workers, according to Xinhua.

He also dismissed news reporting that Thai military had shot Cambodian workers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cambodian-labour-exodus-thailand-continues-today/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=cambodian-labour-exodus-thailand-continues-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-14

• Like 2

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear. Equal numbers returning to Myanmar probably, yet to see the figures.

This is going to be one of the biggest knock on effects of the coup and very difficult to restore confidence. There will be many inactive work sites in the coming weeks.

Watch for very special express work permit deals for foreign labour coming from the powers that be in the very near future.

It can't get any slower,it's taken nearly 18 months to build the Global House up here in Phetchabun.

"Official statistics show that a total of 441,569 Cambodian workers have registered with the Employment Department." Someones been putting the horrors into these people if they are scurrying home in large numbers and their here legally.

As an expat living in LOS.....should I be scurrying anytime soon?

Not very smart. Thailand will shut down without laborers. No way are the millions of loafing Thais, lying on their hammocks going to replace this lot.

That happened after the floods...

In Nonthaburi, they started to kick out alll the Burmese migrants workers who were not able to renew their permission of stay.... until they realised that they cannot find anybody else to clean up the streets!

Cambodia was perhaps quick to rubbish rumours of migrants being shot by Thai authorities because they want to cosy up to the junta. But rights groups are taking it seriously:

"Fear stalked their footprints. Unconfirmed rumours spread like wildfire that migrant workers had been beaten or shot. This fuelled Facebook postings that up to 30 Cambodians had been killed in Thailand since the military seized power on May 22. Government officials from both countries on Friday were unable to confirm the rumour, and denied any shooting incidents.

Prompted by eyewitness accounts, Adhoc, a rights group, said it was investigating nine cases where Cambodian workers were allegedly killed during violent Thai police-led raids. The group said one death had already been confirmed by the victim’s family in Prey Veng."

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend/fear-and-loathing-poipet

• Like 2

Thai economy does need these workers , but will be better for all (especially the workers) if they are registered

Those most at risk for abuse are undocumented workers, who are afraid to seek help if being abused

If factories need these workers let them register them...

How many of you out there would want to work without work permit?

Why should these migrant workers be forced to do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you and there were moves to coordinate with neighborough countries and get more people legally registered prior to the coup. If they want to do something about the problem which is actually in the interests of the migrants themselves, there's a process for that. And it takes time. Leaving thousands of people stranded at the border after forcibly removing them from their homes (in at least some cases) with little or no money is no sort of solution at all.

Thai economy does need these workers , but will be better for all (especially the workers) if they are registered

Those most at risk for abuse are undocumented workers, who are afraid to seek help if being abused

I agree with you and there were moves to coordinate with neighborough countries and get more people legally registered prior to the coup. If they want to do something about the problem which is actually in the interests of the migrants themselves, there's a process for that. And it takes time. Leaving thousands of people stranded at the border after forcibly removing them from their homes (in at least some cases) with little or no money is no sort of solution at all.

If need be, let's hope that Hun Sen uses some of his vast personal wealth to take care of his own citizens and get them back to their homes quickly and safely.

Perhaps he could also emphasize to his countrymen that the way to become legal migrants is through an orderly process (which begins with them applying in Cambodia and not illegally working in Thailand).

• Like 2

If need be, let's hope that Hun Sen uses some of his vast personal wealth to take care of his own citizens and get them back to their homes quickly and safely.

Perhaps he could also emphasize to his countrymen that the way to become legal migrants is through an orderly process (which begins with them applying in Cambodia and not illegally working in Thailand).

Yeah... right. They just shot a bunch of factory workers in Cambodia for demanding a fair day's pay. Now similarly disenfranchised Cambodians are being tossed out of Thailand too. These are desperate people who make decisions on a day to day basis, doing what they need to do to survive. Not sure what your point is.

• Like 2

Someone will be real pleased with themselves for starting that rumor.

Doesn't take much in the way of malicious rumor to cause a lot of trouble.

While saying that the original announcement could possibly have been worded better to make it quite clear that only illegal workers would be effected, but then maybe it was clear and those with an agenda twisted things.

It does seem reasonable that if migrants want to work here they should register and do it legally, many it would seem do. I see piles of passports being handed over for 90 day reports when I have to go to immigration.

It could be said that the illegals are the ones who are willing to work for less so are dragging the pay of the others down.

They also get away without having to pay the costs involved and are under the radar if something happens to them, it leaves them more open to exploitation (trafficking) and there is no record of them if they themselves commit crime or indeed just disappear.

Finally....an educated comment. Thanks for the fresh air, Robby. I totally agree with you.

• Like 2

These people are forgoing the fee they will have paid to some facilitator to get them into Thailand and get them a job, even a bigger fee for a legal job. Remeber it the legal as well as the illegal workers that are doing a runner. So something has them spooked. It is obvious to blind Freddie that they do not trust the junta.

The cambodians are panicking. In pattaya the bus companies are fully booked even though they have added many extra bus services. They tell me all seats were bought by them. The borders are going to stay with mobs for a while im sure

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would they want to leave?? Can't they see we are all so happy?? alt=laugh.png>

These people would rather go back to Hun Sen and a military junta in Myanmar than stay in Thailand. It speaks volumes.

Now farang, tell me about your struggles under democracy in Pattaya, Phuket, Sukhumvit, Hua Hin...who will build your condos and clean your floors now??

Philippino's

• Like 1

The Thai Police/Army are starting to crack down on businesses where I live that have employed illegal Burmese workers for years. Each year they paid "tea money" to the bib, but this year they have been given 1 month to produce paperwork showing that the workers are legally in Thailand with the proper documents to work. A big problem for some businesses!

• Like 2

I have worked at four schools and visited over a dozen. I believe almost one third of teaching farangs are working illegally, and usually with no qualifications. The two favorite dodges are student visas (where they attend a school once or twice a month to work and pay no taxes). The other is the perpetual tourist visa.

• Like 2

Is it true that many foreign school teachers / english teachers are without work permit and correct visa?

If true, why?

I think many foreign internet freelancers are without work permit / correct visa. Because it's very hard to get. I think most of them would gladly pay alot of money to get a proper work permit and pay relatively low taxes in Thailand compared to their home countries smile.png There's "umbrella companies" that can hire freelancers and take a cut of their money in exchange for work permit / visa and a legal way of freelance in Thailand. But not all freelancers can be hired this way,, there's requirements such as being considered an "expert" in the field, to obtain a work permit as say a programmer,, as the thais still think of each work permit as taking a job that a Thai could do...

I dream that thai government will give out work permits for freelancers on the condition that the freelancers proves that all the money is coming from abroad. In other words, prove that it is beneficial to thailand.. Including paying for own health insurance and ofcourse paying tax. And probably spending all the surplus in Thailand. Win win smile.png

*edit* To add some pragmatism, If thailand DOES NOT have the same dream as i outlined above. Then one of two things will happen.

1. the freelancers will continue to cheat the system and stay on tourist visa / edu visa.. NOT PAYING TAX IN THAILAND.

2. the freelancers will be forced to leave Thailand.. NOT PAYING _ANYTHING_ IN THAILAND.

Both above cases are worse off for thailand compared to my dream scenario, unless i'm missing something ofcourse.

ps. The current situation where freelancers stay on TR / EDU visa. They might not pay tax in Thailand, But in most cases they spend _all_ their earnings in Thailand, Injecting the Thai economy.

*second edit* What would be the downside of my "dream" above?

Edited by hobz

While saying that the original announcement could possibly have been worded better to make it quite clear that only illegal workers would be effected, but then maybe it was clear and those with an agenda twisted things.

No worries, I'm sure CLARIFICATION will follow soon whistling.gif

So, finally we got those tourists "BOUNCING" back again
only to find no one is here to serve them or clean the resorts clap2.gif .

At least, tourists will find loads of "happy" Thai people sleeping
in their hammocks saai.gif

Edited by JoeLing

Cambodia-Thailand Border Said Chaotic As Migrants Flee

By Khaosdod Eng.

PHNOM PENH: -- Rights workers on Cambodia's border with Thailand described the situation there as chaotic Sunday after tens of thousands of Cambodian migrants were said to have fled Thailand in the past week.

The International Organization for Migration on Saturday put the figure of Cambodian migrants who had fled in recent days at 70,000.

Cambodian migrants starting returning in higher numbers last week after the Thai military junta - which came to power in a coup on May 22 - said it would arrest and deport undocumented foreign workers.

"People are still coming," said Moeun Tola, a worker for The Community Legal Education Center, a local NGO that aids migrants.

"There are some tents but it's so dirty. There's no sleeping place and when people [have crossed] the border they don't know how to get home. It's so messy."

Chief government spokesman Phay Siphan said that Labour Ministry officials were monitoring the situation at the border, and that the authorities had sent trucks to help transport people from the area.

"We hope the Thai government treats Cambodians with humanity and according to the law," he said, adding that he had not heard of any shootings of Cambodians by Thai soldiers as reported by local media in Phnom Penh this week.

There are an estimated 400,000 Cambodian migrant workers in Thailand.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1402812536&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-06-15