We need to make this the last military takeover

Lite Beer

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting and open article and very true.

The old Thai way of coups being the alternative to elections needs to change.

What elected government , whoever they may be, wants to be constantly looking over their shoulder if some people with excessive influence don't like the way things are going and simply go the coup route. 19? times now, ridiculous!

As long as it always seems to be about the haves and the have nots with the have nots controlling the massive amount of the voting block we will always have the promised gifts from the politico's garnering the most votes and thereby the office. The coup structure is already growing the day after the vote counts are in and there goes the yellow shirt intellectual rich against the red shirt workers farmers uneducated debates demonstrations and coups inevitably.

"We need to make this the last military takeover"

I certainly hope not. It is the only time Thailand runs well. And BTW, it was not a coup, because the military legally took over, not illegally. The writer would feel very differently if it was his children murdered by the commie red-shirts.

coup ko͞o/ noun
noun: coup; plural noun: coups; noun: coup d'état; plural noun: coups d'état; plural noun: coup d'états
1. a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.

The takeover was the result of the state into which thai society has been manipulated. Once populism sinks its fangs into the social fabric, it's very hard to turn back the clock. Growing & multiplying factions, even majority factions, no longer care about anything besides the next favor, the next benefit, the next payout, what's in it for them... Democracy morphs into mob rule. Cherished tradition, cultural values, standards of behavior, and even religion become so much sentimental mush. Loyalty & patriotism devolve into dependency ... dependency into resentment. The truly selfless politician goes the way of the dinosaur. The damage done by Thaksin goes far far deeper than an illegal megamoney business deal, and will no doubt long survive him. He has singlehandedly practically ensured a string of military takeovers in the decades ahead: the devil himself if he exists must be impressed.

If Gen. Prayuth can somehow prevail against all this, and overcome this negative social momentum, while maintaining his widely recognized commitment to restraint and firm but gentle leadership, he will have done his country a monumental service.

• Like 1

The takeover was the result of the state into which thai society has been manipulated. Once populism sinks its fangs into the social fabric, it's very hard to turn back the clock. Growing & multiplying factions, even majority factions, no longer care about anything besides the next favor, the next benefit, the next payout, what's in it for them... Democracy morphs into mob rule. Cherished tradition, cultural values, standards of behavior, and even religion become so much sentimental mush. Loyalty & patriotism devolve into dependency ... dependency into resentment. The truly selfless politician goes the way of the dinosaur. The damage done by Thaksin goes far far deeper than an illegal megamoney business deal, and will no doubt long survive him. He has singlehandedly practically ensured a string of military takeovers in the decades ahead: the devil himself if he exists must be impressed.

If Gen. Prayuth can somehow prevail against all this, and overcome this negative social momentum, while maintaining his widely recognized commitment to restraint and firm but gentle leadership, he will have done his country a monumental service.

Did you notice that? Every time someone says or writes "Thaksin" the air smells of sulfur. And if you say "Thaksin" twice in front of a mirror a shadow will appear behind you.

So, I think we reached the end of the line: Thaksin has reached the Lucifer-Level. No further increase possible.

I know it's not the West, but if it was a Western democracy and it was apparent the government were acting like criminals...exactly what would the people do? Sit back and let the government rape the treasury or take whatever action necessary?

This has been going on in the US for over a decade, what started out as a snowball rolling down the hill now looks like an avalanche! Both sides have had full majorities and nothing has changed. I'm really not sure what difference voting makes at this point the results continue. to be the same. Uprising from civilians maybe but doubtful, coup I can not ever see that happening, maybe a few state may try to secede. Sad times but it is always darkest before the dawn and I choose to believe good will rise up in the long run..

I know it's not the West, but if it was a Western democracy and it was apparent the government were acting like criminals...exactly what would the people do? Sit back and let the government rape the treasury or take whatever action necessary?

If you wanna know what the West does about criminals ruling the country and raping the treasury.

Just look at what happened with the huge U.S. financial bail out and for that matter its current level of debt and how that came about.

Yes, the West sat back, stared, grumbled a bit and moved on like f…ing sheep.

Corruption in the Euro parliament !

The West grumbles a bit again and shows the same sheepish behavior.

Greece, Iceland, Spain bankrupt through corrupt politicians

And again, baeaeaeh baeaeaeh.

That's what the West does !

• Like 1

Just as the word 'democracy' should be redefined, the term 'coup' needs its own definition or new name for Thailand.

In fact, it is more of a coup de grace in Thailand versus coup de tat. Like killing a suffering animal.

Thailand's version should be coined as 'coup de thai': A temporary intervention of the military to removing a government to prevent a civil war. Only applicable to countries with false democracies with rampant and obvious corruption.

• Like 1

Just as the word 'democracy' should be redefined, the term 'coup' needs its own definition or new name for Thailand.

In fact, it is more of a coup de grace in Thailand versus coup de tat. Like killing a suffering animal.

Thailand's version should be coined as 'coup de thai': A temporary intervention of the military to removing a government to prevent a civil war. Only applicable to countries with false democracies with rampant and obvious corruption.

Your post although brief is right to the point, and is true to every word. This is how to post fellers, not to post an epic or saga to bore the pants off people.

I get slagged off because I try to shorten my posts making them not so perfect as far as English is concerned and do this because I am aware of most posters not being English so a bit of pidgeon English sometimes works wonders, WE ALL use this type of speaking when we talk to Thais, as they understand short words rather than the educated massive words and paragraphs.

Anyway really good post keep them short brief and to the point folks. We were taught this in UK government office, otherwise it was in the bin.

• Like 1

Yawn - how is this news?

Didn't they say that after the last one, and before this one? Whether or not this is the last coup or the last bar ten will depend entirely on whether the army gets its share of the goodies from whatever excuse for a government eventuates from this mess.

Meaningless propaganda.

clap2.gif Wholeheartedly agree

The title of this thread is pretty meaningless anyway. 'We need to make this the last military takeover'. Excuse me but who is WE?. We are insignificant and are not even present in the big picture of Thailand. Wise up guys pleasewai2.gif

Your post although brief is right to the point, and is true to every word. This is how to post fellers, not to post an epic or saga to bore the pants off people.

I get slagged off because I try to shorten my posts making them not so perfect as far as English is concerned and do this because I am aware of most posters not being English so a bit of pidgeon English sometimes works wonders, WE ALL use this type of speaking when we talk to Thais, as they understand short words rather than the educated massive words and paragraphs.

Anyway really good post keep them short brief and to the point folks. We were taught this in UK government office, otherwise it was in the bin.

You are too kind ;)

By the way, any positions open with the UK government?

What elected government , whoever they may be, wants to me constantly looking over their shoulder if some people with excessive influence don't like the way things are going and simply go the coup route. 19? times now, ridiculous!

I don't think this is going to end well. This is only my opinion, you understand, but the only way to stop having coups is to change the basic, underlying, loyalty of every officer and career NCO in the Army. All the armed forces, not only the Army, must begin to see themselves as absolutely subservient to, and loyal to, the elected government, whomever they may be and whether or not their political views are distasteful. The military services cannot continue to see the government as the "jockey who rides the horse, but is not the owner of the horse." The armed forces have essentially been in a state of mutiny against the elected government, except for a brief, unfortunate period in 2010. If the government is being assaulted by unruly mobs of demonstrators, the military must see its duty as maintaining order under the existing government. Their duty is to protect and preserve the legal government from any extremist minority that wants to overthrow it. That's not going to happen in my lifetime (but then I'm pretty old, so maybe it'll happen withing three or four decades.

I don't believe that the military SHOULD be subservient to the government. They are loyal firstly to the King and Royal Family and then to the people. The royal Family changes a bit on the death of the King, (any King) but the loyalty should remain. They are loyal to the people and the country and that changes very little either.

However loyal to politicians who come and go and essentially tend to screw thew country up, I don't think so. If Thailand had politicians who worked for the people and the country that might be different but in the last 20 or 30 years how many have there been.

As an example the RTP have been loyal to Thaksin and his governments but not to Abhisit and the Democrats and look at the state of the country before the (non) coup. Post (non) coup and the police have started to do the job they are paid for and many senior police officers are now in non effective posts. Just look at Tarit and the DSI if you want another example.

This 100% sure last coup, until the next one. If elections are held to return Thailand to a democracy, the entire spectrum of political parties must be allowed to run. That is fundamental if one were to call it a democracy. In USA we used to have good laugh about elections in USSR, a one party state, and plenty after that. Communists were allowed to run for office at height of cold war, give speeches etc in USA in 50's. Somehow what we call democracy there survived.

The military should use TV as a means to educate the populace as to what democracy entails, and what responsibilities voters have. Maybe run as part of continuing education on all stations just after evening program about the Royal Family. Education of the voters might help them make choices at ballot box that are good for Thailand. Iffy proposition, but what are alternatives?

In most western countries there is no more "treasury" to rape and what did we do...duhhhhhhh. Now they just print more money to pay their bills and what we do....duhhhhhhh

What elected government , whoever they may be, wants to me constantly looking over their shoulder if some people with excessive influence don't like the way things are going and simply go the coup route. 19? times now, ridiculous!

I don't think this is going to end well. This is only my opinion, you understand, but the only way to stop having coups is to change the basic, underlying, loyalty of every officer and career NCO in the Army. All the armed forces, not only the Army, must begin to see themselves as absolutely subservient to, and loyal to, the elected government, whomever they may be and whether or not their political views are distasteful. The military services cannot continue to see the government as the "jockey who rides the horse, but is not the owner of the horse." The armed forces have essentially been in a state of mutiny against the elected government, except for a brief, unfortunate period in 2010. If the government is being assaulted by unruly mobs of demonstrators, the military must see its duty as maintaining order under the existing government. Their duty is to protect and preserve the legal government from any extremist minority that wants to overthrow it. That's not going to happen in my lifetime (but then I'm pretty old, so maybe it'll happen withing three or four decades.

I don't believe that the military SHOULD be subservient to the government. They are loyal firstly to the King and Royal Family and then to the people. The royal Family changes a bit on the death of the King, (any King) but the loyalty should remain. They are loyal to the people and the country and that changes very little either.

However loyal to politicians who come and go and essentially tend to screw thew country up, I don't think so. If Thailand had politicians who worked for the people and the country that might be different but in the last 20 or 30 years how many have there been.

As an example the RTP have been loyal to Thaksin and his governments but not to Abhisit and the Democrats and look at the state of the country before the (non) coup. Post (non) coup and the police have started to do the job they are paid for and many senior police officers are now in non effective posts. Just look at Tarit and the DSI if you want another example.

An army that is a law unto itself with nobody able to control it? Very dangerous idea, check the history of this country before suggesting such a thing. The army is loyal to its own members first and foremost, and why does the country need such a bloated, overmanned force? Who are supposed external enemy?

Thailand has internal problems, so the army should stay at home, reduce its incredibly wasteful spending, reduce its manpower, and most certainly be under a government's control. Are you suggesting that the American or British armies for instance simply be laws only unto themselves? If this had been the case during the sixties, Earth would now be a post nuclear wasteland.

As for matters pertaining to the Royal family, I am not permitted to make a comment in any form.

Edited by Hawk
  • Like 1

An army that is a law unto itself with nobody able to control it? Very dangerous idea, check the history of this country before suggesting such a thing. The army is loyal to its own members first and foremost, and why does the country need such a bloated, overmanned force? Who are supposed external enemy?

Thailand has internal problems, so the army should stay at home, reduce its incredibly wasteful spending, reduce its manpower, and most certainly be under a government's control. Are you suggesting that the American or British armies for instance simply be laws only unto themselves? If this had been the case during the sixties, Earth would now be a post nuclear wasteland.

As for matters pertaining to the Royal family, I am not permitted to make a comment in any form.

Better you did that in the first place without the agenda you have and are steadfastly sticking to it. Custers Last Stand ???