Relocate from Phuket to Pattaya

KamalaRider

I also lived in Phuket for 4 years, planned on leaving Thailand for good but moved to Pattaya and was never sorry.for the last 6 years here. I recently moved from the very busy central area to near Jontiem and was very pleased with the relocation services of EX Pat Condos.com in finding an appropriate Condo and helping in the transition Don Aleman

Edited by Rimmer
email removed as per forum rules

In my view close to Sukhimvit road, would be your best option. Plenty of schools, and the internet should be pretty good. Would think near Pattaya Tai and Theprassit area. Many schools to choose from nearby.

Other issues are water supply reliability and transport. Out around Maprachan is very nice, but not very practical, in terms of shopping, schooling etc. There are few footpaths for a 9 year old to walk on. Regent's school is quite a long hike for many people.

Good luck with your proposed move ---- hope it works out well for you.

Not sure on this one, regents is about 10 minutes away and onto the number 7 motorway Tesco and new Makro 15 minutes from Marbprachan (Pong)

Hi

KamalaRider

We live near Mabrachan lake (east Pattaya on soi Siam country club road ) . My daughter goes to St Andrews school , a 35 minute bus ride, it is a little further than Regents school and a little bit less fees. Internet is good now , i use true cable internet 15 kbs/ 2 mb upload . 699 baht/month stable and not down too much . yes , like others said the power does cut out occasionally , you need to have a few UPS 's . Plenty of homes to rent here , Sp village 5 and 3 are good. Most homes for rent just put a sign on the gate, you need to drive around and look . You can email me for more info if you want . sp5homeowners at gmail.com regards, Trev

Why not ChaAm or Hua Hin they are still close to Bangkok and a lot closer to Phuket if you want to go back for a visit.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A little bit too far away from BKK, but thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, what is the reason to go for Nong Palai or Mabrachan lake area's?

It is away from the bright lights of Pattaya and not over crowded like the Darkside or Jomtien.

I am confused by this one. Mabrachan lake area is the darkside. Other than that, I think it is a good suggestion, although having no children here, I am not sure of the schools. To the OP: For your info it is only called the darkside because it is east of the tourist area of Pattaya, and the lights are far fewer as the whole area actually turns off their lights and goes to sleep at night. Not a darkside because of criminal activity or anything sinister. From there you can see the lights of Pattaya at night. Plenty of falangs and Thai live in the area, but a more rooted family area, in my opinion.

I live on the lightside, in a cul-de-sac of 12 houses. It is quiet, clean and have relatively nice (all Thai) neighbors now that I've trained them on parking (don't block my access) and keep your dog of the street (or I'll let mine out and she's big and hungry). Aksorn private school within 5 bicycle minutes. Can't comment on how good it is as my kids are now adults. 5 motorcycle minutes to Friendship supermarket, 10 m/c minutes to a Big C or Tesco Lotus superstore. Walking distance to 7-11's, Family Marts and Tesco Express. All I need without EVER having to go anywhere near or cross the death road they call Sukhumvit.

You don't have to go to the darkside or mabprachan to find somewhere great to live in Pattaya. What you have to do is poke around all the small sois of which there are hundreds. It will take some time but there are some great places to live on the lightside without being in the hustle and bustle of downtown.

• Like 1

Welcome to paradise! smile.png Spoonman had it right:

If I was the OP I would be looking around the Nong Palai or Mabrachan lake area's.

School, depends on the budget. Regents if you've got the dosh. Otherwise Assumption Sriricha or Maryvit.

Internet can be an issue. Need to check w/ people around the proposed neighborhood. If it's critical, using two providers is the way to go. Most outages don't last long.

Ouch, the same as in Phuket then when it comes to Internet.

We have to go around and find a suitable school for my daughter, the dosh do matter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to Pattaya the end of this month to find a suitable house and school, so thanks.

Internet is perfectly fine is most areas. Not doing to bad on here are we!!

I'd call it generally OK for personal use. It really has improved over time. You remember when Loxinfo dialup arrived in PTY? I do. For running an internet business--depends on the business and how critical it is, which is why I gave the worst case. Tropo does some internet business; you can search for his setup w/ CAT & 3BB. I do remote support sometimes through my cheap 3BB and it's like so many things in Thailand--it's fine until that critical moment when you really, really need it. w00t.gif Not always, of course, not frequently, but those moments of slowdown/interruption are ones you remember.

Seems to vary a lot depending on your exact location and the service provider there. Even the cable running to the house can make a big difference. Been countless discussions on the forum, which you can look up for yourself. Hence I suggested the OP start by talking to the neighbors.

Edited by JSixpack

Why not ChaAm or Hua Hin they are still close to Bangkok and a lot closer to Phuket if you want to go back for a visit.

It's a little to far away for me, I need something closer to BKK, but thanks for your suggestion.

Internet is perfectly fine is most areas. Not doing to bad on here are we!!

I'd call it generally OK for personal use. It really has improved over time. You remember when Loxinfo dialup arrived in PTY? I do. For running an internet business--depends on the business and how critical it is, which is why I gave the worst case. Tropo does some internet business; you can search for his setup w/ CAT & 3BB. I do remote support sometimes through my cheap 3BB and it's like so many things in Thailand--it's fine until that critical moment when you really, really need it. w00t.gif Not always, of course, not frequently, but those moments of slowdown/interruption are ones you remember.

Seems to vary a lot depending on your exact location and the service provider there. Even the cable running to the house can make a big difference. Been countless discussions on the forum, which you can look up for yourself. Hence I suggested the OP start by talking to the neighbors.

I think I gave the wrong impression about my need for internet. I don't do business over internet as I'm a system architect/system developer.

But I need to have good internet because of skype calls to both customers as Partners in Asia, US and Europe.

There's nothing worse than a important call being cut off .

I have everything I need here in Phuket, UPS, fiberoptic line etc. but sometimes when the power is out for more than 4 hours, I loose business or valuable time.

I lived in Phuket (twice) and have now come back for my third time to Pattaya.

I rent a house just near to where the Sukhumvit Road intersects with Hwy 36, not far from the huge lit up sign across the road "welcome to Pattaya"

I really do have the best of both worlds here. The city is 15 - 20 minutes by car or M/c - and the ring road is minutes from my door making it even easier

It is far enough out - to be quiet, and I mean really quiet. You only can hear the birds sing.

There are many small villages around here, most have security features and it's not for me to say which is best or worst, you have to make your own mind up and how you feel when you are there.

The prices here are much cheaper than near the city (and Phuket) and (dare I say it) it's appears to be much more safer

I have got True cable net installed at 12 mb. - for 699 per month (including Thai TV) and it has (so far) been down only twice in the last year - never more than 3 hours.

near me I have 2 7-11's and a Tesco. lots of restaurants and Regents school is approximately 5 - 10 minutes drive, as is the motorway to Bkk.

I have lived in several different parts of Pattaya and I think I am have found the best compromise now and I love it.

Ultimately it depends on what you are looking for - and willing to pay. You are going to have to drive round and I think most villages will have houses for rent but only with a small sign hanging off the gate. Thats how we found our current place.

Good Luck

• Like 1

...Even Ban Chang is not that much farther from BKK if you take the 36 or 331. Much cheaper also.

I think for the OP's needs way better than buzzing Pattaya! More tranquil, more upper class, cheaper; make your immigration visits nearby in Mabtaput - no comparison to the freak show you have to endure at Pattaya immigration.

Schools, shops, housing, internet, Ocean, international (non tourist) community, well educated, working Thais (with money), no 24h rush hour, Golf, Tennis, swimming pools, Gyms, no bad reputation ( maybe necessary for business, changing your exotic, lush Phuket address into Pattaya isn't exactly an upgrade...) and so on...

Why do some people on these forums persist in saying that Hua Hin is close to bkk? It's very strange.

Why do some people on these forums persist in saying that Hua Hin is close to bkk? It's very strange.

Could be they are used to drive three hours to get to their local super market in their home country?

I lived in Phuket (twice) and have now come back for my third time to Pattaya.

I rent a house just near to where the Sukhumvit Road intersects with Hwy 36, not far from the huge lit up sign across the road "welcome to Pattaya"

I really do have the best of both worlds here. The city is 15 - 20 minutes by car or M/c - and the ring road is minutes from my door making it even easier

It is far enough out - to be quiet, and I mean really quiet. You only can hear the birds sing.

There are many small villages around here, most have security features and it's not for me to say which is best or worst, you have to make your own mind up and how you feel when you are there.

The prices here are much cheaper than near the city (and Phuket) and (dare I say it) it's appears to be much more safer

I have got True cable net installed at 12 mb. - for 699 per month (including Thai TV) and it has (so far) been down only twice in the last year - never more than 3 hours.

near me I have 2 7-11's and a Tesco. lots of restaurants and Regents school is approximately 5 - 10 minutes drive, as is the motorway to Bkk.

I have lived in several different parts of Pattaya and I think I am have found the best compromise now and I love it.

Ultimately it depends on what you are looking for - and willing to pay. You are going to have to drive round and I think most villages will have houses for rent but only with a small sign hanging off the gate. Thats how we found our current place.

Good Luck

When it comes to feeling safe, I can't feel more safe than where I live now in Phuket, but the traffic has become horrendous.

To be willing to pay? my salary decides that for me, whatever my company makes, I don't.

I don't have cash customers anymore :(

Friends of mine have described their problems of a child changing schools mid term. It seems to be almost impossible to get a school to accept a new student during the school year. Many want to wait until the start of the school year in Mid May approx. Then there is the problem of ''End of Year'' assessments to be overcome. Maybe the child has to sit an entrance test. Schools often like to spring these on people suddenly, like they only just remembered themselves.

The OP has missed the start of this school year, so this needs to be checked out also.

I do remember Dialup in PTY, 1200/75 baud. But then it was minimal amount of data passed over and the binaries transferred was maybe 4-10 KB.

Green terminal screen and Y/N options. Ahh what days it was :) Actually, sometimes I wish back those days, everything was so much simpler.

I actually hacked the Swedish state phone company at that time and managed to erase my bill on $2 500US (approx) for the next bill, I didn't get a bill for the last three month's.

At the time, I didn't think it would work and I was expecting the cops to turn up on my foot steps the next year or so.

Ahh what times it was to be an outlaw.

• Like 1

Friends of mine have described their problems of a child changing schools mid term. It seems to be almost impossible to get a school to accept a new student during the school year. Many want to wait until the start of the school year in Mid May approx. Then there is the problem of ''End of Year'' assessments to be overcome. Maybe the child has to sit an entrance test. Schools often like to spring these on people suddenly, like they only just remembered themselves.

The OP has missed the start of this school year, so this needs to be checked out also.

Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten the last time we changed school for her, it was a hazzle, but she did the exam and passed with flying colors.

I'm going to check up with schools to see what criteria they have for a move, but I don't worry much.

We are practically home scholling her as it already.

Sure she goes to school but the quality is so low (compared to my native country that is) even if she's going to a private school here in Phuket with a good renome.

...but the traffic has become horrendous...

^ This is what you will find in and around Pattaya... Nowadays i avoid Pattaya at all costs, only when it is inevitable i go, in an anti-cyclic pattern, like only between Mo - Do, only between 9:00- 11:00 or 13:30- 15:00,

or early Sunday mornings.

Imagine bring and pick up a kid to/from school in Pattaya gives me a headache.

Maybe Ban Chang, (Maptaput, Rayong, Pluak Daeng, Borwin) with his industrial setting gives you better business opportunities as well? Btw, Ban Chang is somewhat the "livingroom" for the middle/upper management people who work in the area.

Could be they are used to drive three hours to get to their local super market in their home country?

maybe, if they're from Canada.

maybe, if they're from Canada.

Or Sweden, Finland or Norway.

May I strongly advice you to check out the area thoroughly before you move into any place here. Pattaya certainly doesn't have the Air Pollution like Bangkok does, but certainly has the Noise Pollution. That quiet condo sitting on a quiet street might turn into a blaring all night music festival from the local bar. So checking you intended place on a weekend night is imperative.

I moved a couple of times in Pattaya until I thought I finally found a quiet place with an empty field overlooking my balcony. Turned out to be the future home of about 100 Cambodian Squatters who were louder all hours of the day and night then any disco. Finally moved to Jomtien two years ago where I found it much better and quieter for sure. But not sure of school nearby.

• Like 2

If I was the OP I would be looking around the Nong Palai or Mabrachan lake area's.

Thanks, going to Pattaya to scout for a house and school at the end of this month, will search in those areas.

Disappointed with the schools.

I started to have my daughter home schooled 2 years ago when she was 8.

At the time I would of been happy to accept her growing up a C+ student.

I'm pleased to say 2 years later her last report was all A's.

Not surprising when there is 1 teacher 2 children V 1 teacher 30 children.

If you would like more information contact me privately.