Koh Tao - Shorty or boardshorts and rash guard ladies?

alyparker

Hi all, please forgive my ignorance

I got my OW and AOW on Koh Tao in January - now we're headed back for another round.

The first 4 dives I wore a full 5m wetsuit and was extremely uncomfortable (putting the stupid thing on and too warm, also way too buoyant)

The next 4 dives I wore a 3m shorty and was fairly comfortable (other than still having to deal with a wetsuit)

All dives were ~25-26°

We're headed back at the end of the week and the temps look to be around 30°

My question is, can I get away with a pair of board shorts and a rash guard over a bathing suit (with a wetsuit in reserve just in case) instead of a wetsuit, and is it a good idea or not? I know I'll have to deal with some stings but is it worth it? I noticed a lot of the dive instructors didn't seem to wear full wetsuits.

The temps are higher but I've also lost ~10lbs, how much of a difference will that make?

Again, sorry for ignorance - new diver and just excited/wanting to continue enjoying the water :)

Just reduce the weights on your weightbelt so that you are neutral buoyant and you'll be OK. But if you go back to a wetsuit remember to rebalance your weight belt again. Wetsuit is just for thermal protection.

• Like 1

Just reduce the weights on your weightbelt so that you are neutral buoyant and you'll be OK. But if you go back to a wetsuit remember to rebalance your weight belt again. Wetsuit is just for thermal protection.

Or buy a 1mm neoprene zip-up vest; will prevent any chaffing from the BCD and provide some thermal protection. Scuba Pro and Bare sell them in Thailand (probably others too). Have fun!!

• Like 1

A thin wet suit protects against minor coral scrapes (someone on here will suggest you should be good enough not to scrape against coral, but it can sometimes happen).

I've used both board shorts and a thin 3mil suit...

The 3 mil suit is generally fine.

You may find yourself a little chilly if diving with board shorts and rash guard when you dive below a thermocline (an area of water, cooler with depth, sometimes associated with currents from deeper water).

Best Bet:

A 1.5mm wet suit will maintain energy on longer dives (whenever the water is less than body temperature you will expend energy keeping warm).

A 1.5mm wet suit will keep you protected from any coral scrapes.

A 1.5mm wet suit will keep you warm when diving in cooler currents or below change in temperature gradient (which you sometimes can't predict when pre-planning).

Board shorts are easier to get on - thats about it.

• Like 1

For a new diver you will have no problem with the board shorts and rash guard. You will be using more air and so producing more heat. I have over 500 Koh Tao dives, a 0.5mm full suit, a 3mm shortie and a 5mm full suit. I would only ever take either the 0.5mm or shortie and often as a backup. I often dive in trunks and rash guard around Koh Tao.

The instructors you see using 3, 5, or 7 mm full suits are diving so often and for so long they need to keep their core body temperature up, you won't have that issue

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

I used to put on, a very thin (1.5 mm), full suit from Scubapro.

If you put a plastic shopping bag over your hands and feet, it is very easy to get it on.

Good God,

40 years of surfing and i never thought of that!:blink:

Tried a bunch of stuff, but this would work Great!

Thanks for making my day! :D

(ya, it doesn't take much now days lol)

• Like 2

Big thanks for the comments everyone. Think I will take along a 1.5mil suit or shorty but just see how it goes when I'm on the boat.

And yeah the bag works wonders, it was basically the only way my son could get his wetsuit on. Cheers!

I used to wear a set of ordinary work coveralls down to about 120ft, mainly for protection against minor abrasions, etc.

If diving will be a serious hobby then invest in something more substantial, but be comfortable in it.

• Like 1

I used to have a made to measure 1mm full length suit, normally the sea water was 28 to 30c, so a bathing suit and tee shirt would normally suffice, just more to prevent stings and abrasions, but I found putting on a suit for a second dive when I was hot and the suit was wet and could very unpleasant.

• Like 1

UPDATE - 2 dives today at 30C with board shorts and a rash guard and was super comfy. Did not get cold at all. Couple stings here and there but nothing to complain about. Not putting on a wet wetsuit for the second dive is definitely a huge plus.

Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone :)

• Like 2

UPDATE - 2 dives today at 30C with board shorts and a rash guard and was super comfy. Did not get cold at all. Couple stings here and there but nothing to complain about. Not putting on a wet wetsuit for the second dive is definitely a huge plus.

Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone smile.png

Good to have somebody acknowledge the input given.

• Like 1