Japan's largest used-car company drives into Thai market

webfact

Used cars in Thailand are ridiculously over priced. I think this is why you see so many rusted old death traps on the roads because people just can't afford to replace them.

Don't know where you live, but here in Chiang Mai rusted old death traps are rarely seen.

I'd estimate that rusted old death traps are 10-20 times more common in Texas than here.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. The headline gave me visions of Japanese imports - just what Thailand needs to shake up the used car market.

Jap imports sorted the used car market in NZ for the customers betterment.

Can we do without racial pejoratives such as "Jap." It violates TV rules and offend one sense of decency.

• Like 2

Damn. The headline gave me visions of Japanese imports - just what Thailand needs to shake up the used car market.

Can we do without racial pejoratives such as "Jap." It violates TV rules and offend one sense of decency.

Aussie Pommy Yank Gerry Froggy Mongol Ruskie Argie Pakies Pick out which offends and which doesn't ?? in many cases it's the tone and way it is spoken.

• Like 1

Currently, used cars are incredibly overpriced. But even if Gulliver lowers prices, I'm not so sure buying a used car in Thailand is such a good idea because of the conditions of the roads, the way many Thais drive, and the way they maintain their cars.

Experiences vary.

Road conditions in Thailand are far, far better than the average in the U.S. Also, overall I'd much prefer Thai drivers to the road rage freaks I encountered in the U.S.

On how Thais maintain their cars --

I've seen many remarks on TV about this. Maybe the TV posters are referring to poor Isaan farmers and their 50,000 baht rusty farm trucks. Last year, I bought a 3 y.o.

(2010) Mitsubishi Triton 4-door from a Thai lady with 70,000 km on the clock. Could not find a scratch on it anywhere. The vehicle has full maintenance records and oil

changes every 10,000 km.

Every time I drive it, I'm amazed that it has the handling, feel and looks of a new car. I bought it for 490,000, compared to about 850,000 for the same model new.

Used cars in Thailand are ridiculously over priced. I think this is why you see so many rusted old death traps on the roads because people just can't afford to replace them.

You must have outstanding eyesight since I never see hardly any rusting old death traps on the roads! One of the reasons that used cars here are so expensive is because the cost of maintenance and the price of spare parts is so very low, that means that people can afford to maintain their vehicles in good condition for longer, the opposite of what you suggest!!!

so many rusted old death traps on the roads ?.... Must say not seen many rusted cars/trucks here... on the other hand many new cars/truck you can buy without Airbags or ABS, and even thinner metal than the old cars/truck, so not sure which is the death trap ? of course you can buy new/newer with Airbags that don't work.. another major recall for this.

Lets see an old 70's Volvo or 80's Benz, 1,000's of them on the road or a brand new tiny car with no safety, think I will go with the old one, thanks. seen a few accidents old v near new here, mostly the old one has come out far better.

Todays cars are designed to absorb the impact of an accident and protect the passengers.

Older cars were solid and didn't absorb the impact of the accident, it was the passengers that took the full force of the impact.

Airbags wont deploy unless the vehicle is travelling at a speed greater than 60kms per hour and a front side or rear side impact wont deploy the airbags either.

I second this request; the usage isn't offensive, but the word itself is.

• Like 1

Aussie Pommy Yank Gerry Froggy Mongol Ruskie Argie Pakies Pick out which offends and which doesn't ?? in many cases it's the tone and way it is spoken.

I beg to strongly differ.

The term "jap" is not comparable to the terms you list here. Referring to a Japanese person as a "jap" has nothing to do with tone

or the way it is spoken. It has to do with the lack of education, common sense and basic cultural etiquette of the speaker.

Grey imports...taxes?

Sounds like a great idea to move on all the Japanese used cars which are over 3 years old and fail the Japanese emissions testing.

Dump them on Thailand, if they can get away with it....

so many rusted old death traps on the roads ?.... Must say not seen many rusted cars/trucks here... on the other hand many new cars/truck you can buy without Airbags or ABS, and even thinner metal than the old cars/truck, so not sure which is the death trap ? of course you can buy new/newer with Airbags that don't work.. another major recall for this.

Lets see an old 70's Volvo or 80's Benz, 1,000's of them on the road or a brand new tiny car with no safety, think I will go with the old one, thanks. seen a few accidents old v near new here, mostly the old one has come out far better.

Todays cars are designed to absorb the impact of an accident and protect the passengers.

Older cars were solid and didn't absorb the impact of the accident, it was the passengers that took the full force of the impact.

Airbags wont deploy unless the vehicle is travelling at a speed greater than 60kms per hour and a front side or rear side impact wont deploy the airbags either.

The Toyota Vios, which you see everywhere in asia, is not seen in my country. Check out the crash test results on youtube......and you will understand why.

The Toyota Vios, which you see everywhere in asia, is not seen in my country. Check out the crash test results on youtube......and you will understand why.

Before you buy a car check out the safety star rating!

My 1990 Nissan Sunny does nicely, scored for 23K baht from a farang in a hurry to get back to the states, he invested over 200K baht in it including a nice paint job! Look for good car deals from farangs on Craigslist.

• Like 1

News 5 days ago, you can read it on here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733551-toyota-recalls-227-mn-vehicles-globally-over-airbag-defect/

The term "jap" is not comparable to the terms you list here. Referring to a Japanese person as a "jap" has nothing to do with tone

or the way it is spoken. It has to do with the lack of education, common sense and basic cultural etiquette of the speaker.

Why not, I knew the term from the last war, it was a short version of Japanese.

exactly the same as Gerry's short for Germans and so on.

You seem to have this thing about the word. It is of course very nice to say there are so many Japanese tourists, but another person could say a load of Japs got of that JAL airliner, It is how you want to make it.

Now there are some awful nick names we tend never to use nowadays, but did donkey's years ago it was the norm then. Same as we say Eskimo's now it's not the done thing to speak of them as Eskimo's.

Up to you I personally never now use the word Jap, but many do and unless it is meant in a nasty way --no problem. We have to ask the Japanese their opinion if it does not hurt them ---why the fuss.

News 5 days ago, you can read it on here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733551-toyota-recalls-227-mn-vehicles-globally-over-airbag-defect/

The Dodgy Bastards!!

You seem to have this thing about the word. It is of course very nice to say there are so many Japanese tourists, but another person could say a load of Japs got of that JAL airliner, It is how you want to make it.

Now there are some awful nick names we tend never to use nowadays, but did donkey's years ago it was the norm then. Same as we say Eskimo's now it's not the done thing to speak of them as Eskimo's.

Up to you I personally never now use the word Jap, but many do and unless it is meant in a nasty way --no problem. We have to ask the Japanese their opinion if it does not hurt them ---why the fuss.

Tissues anyone?

02-oceana-cry_cry.mp3

It's only a simple abbreviation of Japanese. same as Brit, etc. No offence in that at all.

• Like 1

Currently, used cars are incredibly overpriced. But even if Gulliver lowers prices, I'm not so sure buying a used car in Thailand is such a good idea because of the conditions of the roads, the way many Thais drive, and the way they maintain their cars.

Experiences vary.

Road conditions in Thailand are far, far better than the average in the U.S. Also, overall I'd much prefer Thai drivers to the road rage freaks I encountered in the U.S.

On how Thais maintain their cars --

I've seen many remarks on TV about this. Maybe the TV posters are referring to poor Isaan farmers and their 50,000 baht rusty farm trucks. Last year, I bought a 3 y.o.

(2010) Mitsubishi Triton 4-door from a Thai lady with 70,000 km on the clock. Could not find a scratch on it anywhere. The vehicle has full maintenance records and oil

changes every 10,000 km.

Every time I drive it, I'm amazed that it has the handling, feel and looks of a new car. I bought it for 490,000, compared to about 850,000 for the same model new.

Agreed: I bought my late 2011 Navara 4 door 4wd (produced Nov 2011) 5At for 600,000 a few months ago. Full service history including synthetic oil changes as scheduled and 62,000 km on it. A few lil scratches here and there cause the guy drove it and black shows everything but nothing major. Still under warranty for a few more months. New was / is 1 million baht.

Yes, I do have a thing about the term -- and you couldn't be more wrong about it.

Anytime and all the time, it is a nasty perforative with racist connotations. It's use began during the propaganda

days of WWII when the allies were attempting to dehumanize the Japanese to make it more palatable to kill them.

Having been a student of Japanese language, culture and history for 50 years and having worked and lived 16

years in Japan, I can assure you that "jap" is not an innocent benign term as you seem to suppose.

If you have a Japanese friend or acquaintance would you use that term in front of them? I'm amazed that any

educated adult anywhere would not understand this in 2014.

It's only a simple abbreviation of Japanese. same as Brit, etc. No offence in that at all.

Surely, you are not serious. It is not a simple abbreviation. It is nothing like Brit.

I have a Brit friend and I use the term Brit in conversation with him. Totally benign, neutral term.

You could not use the term "jap" in front of a Japanese person without creating a huge amount

of consternation at the very least.

Next you will be saying that ni**er is a simple abbreviation for negro. Where are you from, Mars?

I was looking at buying a 2nd hand truck a couple of years ago and what killed that idea for me was the cost of financing. I found a couple of options that I was ready to buy but they wanted 12.5% p.a. for the finance. I never bothered checking the details and whether it was compounded or not but over 5 years the Ford Ranger I liked for THB 250,000.00 would actually end up costing me at least THB 400,000.00. Compared with 2.55% for a new truck at that time with all the add-ons and warranty etc. it was a no-brainer.

If this Japanese firm could offer more realistic finance on their cars then they could totally crack the market here I reckon, but no doubt that is when they would face some serious opposition to their presence here...

Don't know where you live, but here in Chiang Mai rusted old death traps are rarely seen.

I'd estimate that rusted old death traps are 10-20 times more common in Texas than here.

Actually I am in San Sai area of Chiangmai. You have never seen them? Are you walking around with blinkers or have you just arrived? In my job I would 2 - 3 vehicles off the road in Melbourne in a single day. In Chiangmai I could put at least 100+ in a single day. Driving around Chiangmai is a coppers Disneyland if the actually want to get off their <deleted>. Chiangmai is a smorgasbord of unroadworthy vehicles and traffic violations.

Surely, you are not serious. It is not a simple abbreviation. It is nothing like Brit.

I have a Brit friend and I use the term Brit in conversation with him. Totally benign, neutral term.

You could not use the term "jap" in front of a Japanese person without creating a huge amount

Next you will be saying that ni**er is a simple abbreviation for negro. Where are you from, Mars?

I'm British and get pissed off being called "Brit". Usually find it's septic tanks who over use it!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, I do have a thing about the term -- and you couldn't be more wrong about it.

Anytime and all the time, it is a nasty perforative with racist connotations. It's use began during the propaganda

days of WWII when the allies were attempting to dehumanize the Japanese to make it more palatable to kill them.

Having been a student of Japanese language, culture and history for 50 years and having worked and lived 16

years in Japan, I can assure you that "jap" is not an innocent benign term as you seem to suppose.

If you have a Japanese friend or acquaintance would you use that term in front of them? I'm amazed that any

educated adult anywhere would not understand this in 2014.

Love your insult. I being an uneducated adult use the word Japanese, Your too strong with your stance. I agree it is better to say Germans-Japanese-French-British- and so on. in towns at HOME, most people will shorten the Nationality name, not meaning anything by it just saving saying the full country name.

Different when you formally write, or mix with foreigners and converse. Being the said thing to do is to say Japanese.

When anyone uses a term like (nigge#s) I find that offensive along with similar names.

Listen to the average guy who is talking to his mates. example. " There were loads of Ruskies-Chinkies-Froggies in Jomptien shopping" he doesn't mean bad.

• Like 1

I'm British and get pissed off being called "Brit". Usually find it's septic tanks who over use it!

Brit and Aussie to me is normal I am not that highly strung to let it annoy me --it doesn't

I stated earlier to use the words like NiG#er is very offensive, 50 years ago it was not so offensive--but now rightly so outlawed.

It is a sensitive subject, but is best left to J.Clarkson topics to discuss thumbsup.gif

"I'm British and get pissed off being called "Brit". Usually find it's septic tanks who over use it! "

Whiny Limey. Whingeing Pomme.wink.png

• Like 1

"I'm British and get pissed off being called "Brit". Usually find it's septic tanks who over use it! "

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Ohh apple user I can't read it on the app due to white on white.

Your going to have to get a little more specific with your descriptive nouns there Ratcatcher.

Limey only covers a small part of the UK as does scouse ® and several other area specific nouns.

And note the correct spelling Pohm, short for 'Prisoner of her (his) majesty'.

And on the subject of used cars ; there are some weird and wonderful specimens of Japanese imported rejects on NZ roads, quite a lot that it is impossible to get spares for.