Thai-Australian trade relations remain strong

webfact

With the wine import duty, the reduction has increased Aussie imports or so I have been told at various Auscham functions.... But we still have to contend with 300% excise tax, so no $5.00 wines in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

With the wine import duty, the reduction has increased Aussie imports or so I have been told at various Auscham functions.... But we still have to contend with 300% excise tax, so no $5.00 wines in the foreseeable future.

Thailand is now in the Top 20 export markets for Australian wine which is around 3-4% of the total global export of Australian wine.

Yes the FTA has increased imports of Australian products, especially wine, circa 40-50% YOY. Thai importers/distributors are beginning to favour it over the other wine producing countries (Chile and NZ being exceptions) due to the FTA

300% is a scare tactic! It equates to the price being roughly 3 times what you'd get it for back home. All things considered (and I do mean all things) that's a pretty reasonable deal for some premium (I'm not talking about some typical polished mass produced consumer-centric) Australian wine.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thailand is now in the Top 20 export markets for Australian wine which is around 3-4% of the total global export of Australian wine.

Yes the FTA has increased imports of Australian products, especially wine, circa 40-50% YOY. Thai importers/distributors are beginning to favour it over the other wine producing countries (Chile and NZ being exceptions) due to the FTA

300% is a scare tactic! It equates to the price being roughly 3 times what you'd get it for back home. All things considered (and I do mean all things) that's a pretty reasonable deal for some premium (I'm not talking about some typical polished mass produced consumer-centric) Australian wine.

Penfolds 389 is about 6500+ Baht here and about $60 or maybe a little more in Oz so that equates to maybe a 400% increase. I think the Chilean wines still offer better value for money for day to day drinking, and my only tipple is wine.

Penfolds 389 is about 6500+ Baht here and about $60 or maybe a little more in Oz so that equates to maybe a 400% increase. I think the Chilean wines still offer better value for money for day to day drinking, and my only tipple is wine.

If you're buying it by the 6 pack you might get it for around $AUD60, otherwise you're looking at a bit more by the bottle. Multiply that by 3 and you're just shy of ฿6500.

Chilean wine is where Australian wine was 20-30 years ago, producing everyday drinking wines for the consumer market, that's not to say that's a bad thing, you could do a lot worse than drinking an everyday Chilean fruit bomb...

Bcgardener; If you're looking for decently priced wines (a number of them from Australia) that have a similar price to back home head to the Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok - in their outlet "Mocha & Muffin" there's at least 3 wines (that I know of, selling between ฿800-1500 a bottle) that's around $A7-20 more than they you'd pay for them in Australia.

This is a bit off subject, but I just reckon that a few of the people following this thread might just enjoy this, (currently watching, no idea how I found it!!)

Australian Story ABC TV, 1983 Americas Cup

Anyone know the name of the song at 14:45 min

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

now if only someone informed the customs people that there is a free trade agreement between these two countries as they really like to charge sh*tloads to bring anything from Australia into Thailandblink.png

How very true cobber. If only we could buy a 4 litre red for $11.00 here. or cheese at the Woolies price.

It never seemed to me that Thai food in Australia was all that expensive. Certainly not 300% tax/duty. bah.gif

yes

no label wines from Margaret River for $1 a bottle and here over 1000 baht

something wrong

wine is health food

it should be sold as such

I am told there was a 460% import duty on wine. The country is losing billions of $$ a year in potential duties. If they were responsible and had an adult import policy like 100% duty, they would have a very vibrant wine industry. Instead a few knuckle dragging senators were convinced by several million baht to write a ridiculous local wine protectionist policy. That policy must end now! It is arcane. It is bad for the country. It protects tiny wineries that produce swill. Stop the nonsense please.

Spidermike007

I am told there was a 460% import duty on wine. The country is losing billions of $$ a year in potential duties. If they were responsible and had an adult import policy like 100% duty, they would have a very vibrant wine industry. Instead a few knuckle dragging senators were convinced by several million baht to write a ridiculous local wine protectionist policy. That policy must end now! It is arcane. It is bad for the country. It protects tiny wineries that produce swill. Stop the nonsense please.

Spidermike007

Not sure who's telling you that but I can assure you there's no such import duty on wine, no matter its origin.

54% is the ceiling on imported wine.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Australia's import duty rate is current 4% of the CIF.

It's the Excise Tax that really puts a damper on things. All taxes totalled, wine is anywhere from 3 times as expensive as it would be if you bought it back home (by home, I mean Australia, as this is a thread about Australian trade) to 4 times what it would be back home. At 4 times the price, there's likely to be something wrong.

Protectionism when it comes to wine is not restricted to Thailand, Australia has Import taxes on wine as well as the ridiculous Wine Equalisation Tax (29%). Thailand's current tax policy doesn't even protect the local industry as it is non-discriminate and you might have noticed the increase in the local product price. The local product Monsoon Valley, Gran Monte and PB Valley aren't bad for what they are, but I don't see the justification of their pricing.

Unfortunately the boffins who come up with these tax equations don't seem to factor in volume as an effect. Cut the Excise Tax in half and watch the tax revenue flow in.