a gecko ( jing-johk ) cost THB12,716 in my aircon

ETatBKK

hi there

the Mitsubishi technicians just left, with a bill of THB12,716. they replaced a Power Board in the compressor unit that has a gecko ( jing-johk ) toasted under the capacitors.

post-105125-0-92509100-1402896863_thumb.

then they also replaced a Noise Filter Board ( THB4,7xx ) with a 0.25A blew fuss ( lower left ). hold on . . . they could just replace the fuss, but not the entire board. after couple of Thai-Eng-Thai negotiation, it was done accordingly.

post-105125-0-50157900-1402897355_thumb.

QUESTIONS here :

1) could we avoid jing-johk or else in the electronic compartment of the compressor unit ( already twice in my case ) ? and how . . .

2) is it a standard practice ( from branded services ) here doing module replacement, rather than component replacement ? even the Power Board, I could bring it to the local aircon shop, that could replace the capacitors or else within a thousand baht.

cheers

You'll never keep the little chaps out entirely, we had an LED TV killed by one unfortunate guy.

They go inside to hide and chase ants (which seem to like the electronics), you may score by spreading ant killer around the entry points and near the expensive bits of electronics.

• Like 1

i have halogen track lights at my beach house and every time one blows i open it up only to find gecko eggs or a fried gecko inside.

i have taken to taping over the slot where the rekease lever rotates and the death rate has slowed, but they get in everywhere.

The problem that I have is with those small black ants. They seem to have a death wish and get into everything. Every time the toaster or counter top oven quits I know exactly what it is - electrocuted ants. The toaster has an open switch but the oven switch is closed and I even wrapped electrical tape around it but they still get in and fry themselves. I clean them out and all's well until the next mass electrocution!

I would query the price if possible as I replaced the unit in my Daikin ac(looks very similar) for 3000bht.

I'm not at all surprised by the stated price.

Only last week we had a Mitsibushi compressor unit repaired as the compressor had stopped running. A faulty capacitor and a fuse were replaced.

The replacement capacitor cost 1,250 THB which I thought was outrageous. However, it was confirmed (by Mitsubishi) that both the item and pricing were correct.

Labor was 220 THB.

Mitsubishi spares are expensive

I would query the price if possible as I replaced the unit in my Daikin ac(looks very similar) for 3000bht.

Only last week we had a Mitsibushi compressor unit repaired as the compressor had stopped running. A faulty capacitor and a fuse were replaced.

The replacement capacitor cost 1,250 THB which I thought was outrageous. However, it was confirmed (by Mitsubishi) that both the item and pricing were correct.

Labor was 220 THB.

THB 1,250 is a fair price for a starting capacitor whether it's for a compressor, a pump or any strong electric motor.

I am happy if they just replace the capacitor ( with the dead jink johk ).

last week they came with a wrong component for a 13,000BTU unit ( mine is 18,000BTU ), then I spotted there are 3 electronic modules inside the compressor unit :

- Power Board, about THB12,xxx

- Outdoor Controller, THB7,8xx

- Noise Filter, THB4,760

that exactly the point, the repair not necessary as a module replacement; simply could be just parts replacement.

I jumped to the ceiling when they replace the Noise Filter module, that only a 0.25A fuss was blew. eventually, it was only a THB25 fuse replacement in the bill.

Labor was 220 THB.

Labor was 220 THB.

THB 1,250 is a fair price for a starting capacitor whether it's for a compressor, a pump or any strong electric motor.

If including the labor cost, yes. But the compressor starting capacitor probably around 35 to 55uf in size costs around 100 baht locally. I replaced the 45uf starting capacitor in my one of my York 18K BTU compressor units just this week...the capacitor is about the same size as one of the new style Coke-Cola cans...I had bought the capacitor a few months earlier at an Among Store...can't remember the cost exactly but it was right around Bt100 to 150 and I'm completely satisfied with the specs/quality. Plenty of capacitors of all sizes for A/Cs, washing machines, water pumps, etc., at Among Stores many times found in Tesco Lotus Malls....the prices are low...and most of the capacitors are made in China (like most everything else now days). I've also got a spare starting capacitor ready for my Mitsubishi water pump...it cost me around Bt50 in an Among Store.

The first picture in the OP's post looks very, very similar to the control board that smoked itself in one of my York 18K BTU compressor units about a year ago...a gecko was vaporized and really destroyed a portion of the board...the whole board needed replacement since the breadboard itself had been badly burnt from the short.

Called the company here in Bangkok that had installed the York system around 6 years ago, they came out, decided a new board was needed (I easily agreed since I also have an electronics repair background from my earlier days...plus the board being charred made the diagnosis real easy), took them two days to get a new board and install it (I still have the old, burnt board)....total labor and parts cost was Bt3,000 (Bt2,000 for the board, Bt1,000 for labor). This is the same unit I talked about having replaced the starting capacitor in above post....not because the starting capacitor had failed but because I wanted to see if it would reduce the compressor's "turn-on/kicking-on" noise when first starting. It did help...the compressor sounds normal again during that first second of start-up. Although the uf (microfarad) value of the old capacitor was still within specs, I figure some leakage current/voltage breakdown was occurring.

no sure if it is safe to put some kinds of insect repellent inside the electronic compartment ?

like those we put inside the wardrobe.

You'll never keep the little chaps out entirely, we had an LED TV killed by one unfortunate guy.

They go inside to hide and chase ants (which seem to like the electronics), you may score by spreading ant killer around the entry points and near the expensive bits of electronics.

no sure if it is safe to put some kinds of insect repellent inside the electronic compartment ?

like those we put inside the wardrobe.

I wasn't advocating putting stuff INSIDE the equipment, that would be unwise if you don't know what you're doing. But stuff like ant chalk can be put around the air vents etc outside to discourage ants going in and consequently (hopefully) the gekkos following them hoping for an easy meal.

Who knows, maybe a few small but relative strong spots of light attracting insects at other predefined locations inside and outside around the home might also be quite helpful.

Spare parts of aircons have always been quite expensive, so in our case we let inspect / service / clean them by a reliable local repair guy at least once a year.

Labor was 220 THB.

If including the labor cost, yes. But the compressor starting capacitor probably around 35 to 55uf in size costs around 100 baht locally. I replaced the 45uf starting capacitor in my one of my York 18K BTU compressor units just this week...the capacitor is about the same size as one of the new style Coke-Cola cans...I had bought the capacitor a few months earlier at an Among Store...can't remember the cost exactly but it was right around Bt100 to 150 and I'm completely satisfied with the specs/quality. Plenty of capacitors of all sizes for A/Cs, washing machines, water pumps, etc., at Among Stores many times found in Tesco Lotus Malls....the prices are low...and most of the capacitors are made in China (like most everything else now days). I've also got a spare starting capacitor ready for my Mitsubishi water pump...it cost me around Bt50 in an Among Store.

Labor was charged extra at 220 THB.

It's a standard poly-propylene 30uF capacitor rated at 440V 25A.

Anyway, the compressor unit fault was diagnosed and fixed for just over 40 USD and I didn't get my hands dirty, so I'm happy really.

1,250 THB for a simple capacitor is still an outrageous price though. Mitsubishi definitely charge high prices for replacement parts.

Jerry

The problem that I have is with those small black ants. They seem to have a death wish and get into everything. Every time the toaster or counter top oven quits I know exactly what it is - electrocuted ants. The toaster has an open switch but the oven switch is closed and I even wrapped electrical tape around it but they still get in and fry themselves. I clean them out and all's well until the next mass electrocution!

Are you against monthly pest control?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Had one of the buggers fry himself under the control board of our electric gate. After fixing the board by soldering a few jumper wires where the pcb had been damaged, I then glued the board to the plastic carrier with silicone, leaving no holes to go under there. That ought to keep them out.

When I was living in Hawaii where I did have this happen once, I used to put the Japanese version of a roach motel with bait in it on top of the air conditioner. Once there was a tasty critter stuck to the inside of the motel, the gecko would climb in and get stuck himself. Geckos used to really love the top of my air conditioner which caused me great frustration as they would hang their backside off the front and poop on my bed.

These geckos seem to be abundant. Are there no natural predators?

All manner of things eat geckos, they just breed faster than they can be eaten.

I have never seen anything pursuing them.

Neither did the ones who got eaten sad.png

Snakes, birds, spiders (large ones) and bigger geckos (tuk gae) will all take the little chaps.

• Like 2

Our home is locked down....screens on windows, screen doors, no kids, and an indoor buglight that we use at night to kill any bugs that might find their way into the house. But every now and then, a gecko finds his way into the house. Most of the time I can swat them off the wall/ceiling with a broom.....stunning them for just a bit....then grab them and toss them outside. But if they manage to escape behind the fridge or heavy cabinet, they're much more difficult to capture the next time around.

I've searched google for gecko traps....the one or two ideas tossed around don't seem to work. I've tried this with success....when I can find a cricket. Get one of those rat traps with the sticky glue on a tray. Set a small jar with holes in the top into the middle of the tray. Put your cricket into the jar. Set it in the room with the villain gecko. Usually works overnight.

I've heard all the arguments why geckos are good to have in the house.....and the reasons don't apply to me. Doesn't anyone out there have a good foolproof gecko trap?

• Like 2