opinion/insights on best international online checking account

I am going to be doing some traveling for a good while, and i was wanting some good opinions on anyone that has used any international checking accounts..my main address is in the usa, but my bank that holds my mortgage is very unfriendly to international, and doesnt even alllow external transfers to other us institutions now. So, I am looking for something that is more universal , with less fees, and more live customer support. I have dont some google searches, and have found HSBC, citibank, and IBC... Just wondering if anyone has had some experiences. I will most likely be using them as my main account. If possible,

Thanks for any insights!

I am going to be doing some traveling for a good while, and i was wanting some good opinions on anyone that has used any international checking accounts..my main address is in the usa, but my bank that holds my mortgage is very unfriendly to international, and doesnt even alllow external transfers to other us institutions now. So, I am looking for something that is more universal , with less fees, and more live customer support. I have dont some google searches, and have found HSBC, citibank, and IBC... Just wondering if anyone has had some experiences. I will most likely be using them as my main account. If possible,

Thanks for any insights!

Good luck with this , most of big players are very reluctant to deal with US citizens these days if your a US citizen or green card holders

Eg a US colleague of mine working in Thailand, tried to open a current account with Citi in Singapore and was declined, they don't want the hassles

Thanks for any insights!

Good luck with this , most of big players are very reluctant to deal with US citizens these days if your a US citizen or green card holders

Eg a US colleague of mine working in Thailand, tried to open a current account with Citi in Singapore and was declined, they don't want the hassles

I am not going to be just in thailand, but many different places. US makes it difficult, and the mention of u doing anything out of the norm in the banking system.. it seems like you are redflagged as doing something bad and everything stops.. its interesting

Thanks for any insights!

I am not going to be just in thailand, but many different places. US makes it difficult, and the mention of u doing anything out of the norm in the banking system.. it seems like you are redflagged as doing something bad and everything stops.. its interesting

It will not really matter whether its just Thailand or somewhere else the international banks regionally don't really want to open accounts for US citizens thanks to your IRS

When I opened my current account with Citi in Singapore I had to sign a declaration that I was not a US citizen or green card holder

If you are an American who served in the U.S. Military ... you can get online checking account, savings account, credit cards and much more with USAA. Now of course this institution is not 'international' in the sense that it would have brick and mortar branches in foreign countries -- USAA doesn't even have brick and mortar branches in America. But their on line services are excellent and they reimburse me for the 180 Baht ATM fee charged here in Thailand .... I couldn't ask for a better bank... I hear and read that Charles Schwab Investment checking accounts are excellent -- but again - no brick and mortar buildings anywhere.

• Like 1

Thanks for any insights!

It will not really matter whether its just Thailand or somewhere else the international banks regionally don't really want to open accounts for US citizens thanks to your IRS

When I opened my current account with Citi in Singapore I had to sign a declaration that I was not a US citizen or green card holder

doesnt surprise me, the us is trying to clean up a bunch of irs deviance, but in the end. the law abiding people always get screwed and keep paying big taxes, and the big corp. will still have their off shore accounts. thats another topic and dont want to go into it. but yes,, you are right, and makes sense

If you are an American who served in the U.S. Military ... you can get online checking account, savings account, credit cards and much more with USAA. Now of course this institution is not 'international' in the sense that it would have brick and mortar branches in foreign countries -- USAA doesn't even have brick and mortar branches in America. But their on line services are excellent and they reimburse me for the 180 Baht ATM fee charged here in Thailand .... I couldn't ask for a better bank... I hear and read that Charles Schwab Investment checking accounts are excellent -- but again - no brick and mortar buildings anywhere.

thanks for the response, and thanks for serving the country. I dont need/want a brick or mortar building cuz i always just call anyways. So, maybe I will give schwab a try. I think traveling around and being a US citizen , u just pay a lot of fees, etc. It would be nice to get around that, but at this point I honestly just want more support. I left my debit card in an atm the other day. MY bank has no 24 hr support, and then if i need another card, i have to get it sent to usa, and then have family send it to me. Just is a mess, on top of all the fees involved in just getting money where I want to be. Its an learning process for sure. I went to the US embassy the other day to get 2 notarized signatures.. basicly a document saying im a us citizen, one was a copy of my passport and signed and the other just a piece of paper,, 50US$ each.. Went to thai police headquarters to get fingerprints,,, free.. hows that, also the embassy said im not allowed back into the embassy if i bring a backpack. It wasnt a big backpack but small one, and he wasnt the coolest about it.. im not bashing my ctry, as I love the usa, but man.. it seems more and more I am losing my trust as a us citizen but still paying their salaries with the 35% tax.. ok, im done complaining..

To follow-up on what JDGRUEN said, for former military, USAA offers great services. I have investment, banking and credit card accounts with them but recently, after getting a bank account and credit card with Navy Federal Credit Union, I have found them to be even more flexible and accomodating than USAA. I highly recommend Navy FCU.

Do you understand that the US Embassy has security issues? What exactly is causing you to lose your trust? Your tax rate? The $50 fees for the documents? It seems that you are confusing trust with issues of convenience and cheapness of services.

thanks for the response, and thanks for serving the country. I dont need/want a brick or mortar building cuz i always just call anyways. So, maybe I will give schwab a try. I think traveling around and being a US citizen , u just pay a lot of fees, etc. It would be nice to get around that, but at this point I honestly just want more support. I left my debit card in an atm the other day. MY bank has no 24 hr support, and then if i need another card, i have to get it sent to usa, and then have family send it to me. Just is a mess, on top of all the fees involved in just getting money where I want to be. Its an learning process for sure. I went to the US embassy the other day to get 2 notarized signatures.. basicly a document saying im a us citizen, one was a copy of my passport and signed and the other just a piece of paper,, 50US$ each.. Went to thai police headquarters to get fingerprints,,, free.. hows that, also the embassy said im not allowed back into the embassy if i bring a backpack. It wasnt a big backpack but small one, and he wasnt the coolest about it.. im not bashing my ctry, as I love the usa, but man.. it seems more and more I am losing my trust as a us citizen but still paying their salaries with the 35% tax.. ok, im done complaining..

USAA and Schwab are good...USAA is very expat friendly. Can't blame the Embassy for not allowing backpacks into the embassy...as you found out you must leave backpacks, cell phones, cameras, etc., at the security check-in area...seems more than fair to ensure security within the embassy especially for visitors.