Travel with no passport..?

Hi guys and gals,

I have seen Thai´s can travel without a passport to local vicinity for a few days, my lady has a passport but my 6 month old daughter does not. has no national ID card for Thailand can she pass into Laos? I wish both of them to join me on a border run.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm, might be possible. A few years ago we took our 10 year old Thai nephew over to Vientiane on a "border pass," just as Thai with ID cards are able to do. I think you'd need to take along your daughter's birth certificate and the family's blue Tambien Ban, just to be sure.

However, it'd also be pretty easy to get the daughter a Thai passport which makes it even easier to visit, say, Laos or Cambodia.

Mac

• Like 1

my thai/American daughter has had a thai passport since she was 1,

its only 1.030 baht and takes less than a week

I would not advise anyone travel outside their own country without a passport ever., even if it can be done.

Would she not need a Thai ID card first ?

I agree about traveling outside one's own country.

DerekMarshall - read post from TanyaburiMac,he has answered you correctly,the rest is off topic.

Border Pass is the answer,thousands of Thais use it everyday.

Thai can enter Laos on almost any land border crossing and go to places like Pakse,4tThousandIsland or VangVien for 3days/2nights.

Your wife needs ID,your kid needs the copy of birthday certificate;cost - 200B.

You need passport and visa on the border(30$up) and you can stay 30 days.Wife with kid can leave and reenter after 3 days.

Rules are different for Cambo,Burma and Malaysia.We travelled this way many times,there are bus tours from Ubon to waterfalls on Cambo/Lao border going on border passes - every day.

@PhuketRichard - I can travel all around Europe without passport,do you know it?

@PhuketRichard - I can travel all around Europe without passport,do you know it?

From one pedant to another; this is only possible if one

• is an EEA national, or
  • the qualifying non EEA national family member of an EEA national who has permanent residence in an EEA member state; and,
  • one has the appropriate I.D. showing one of the above.

Even if one of the above does apply one can't travel 'all around Europe' without a passport, only in other EEA states; not all European countries are members of the EEA.

Back to topic.

Mr 7by7! your meaning of the word "only" is 500million people and almost 30 countries.

millions of people travel around Europe without passports defying advice from PhuketRichard.

PhuketRichard! why you do not like idea of travel without passport,even if it is possible?did you have any "experience"?

Before EU such travel was possible as a result of different bilateral agreements.There is also phenomena of "near border traffic":

people who live near borders can move freely to near-area in the next country simply because of family ties.Its like this since centuries.

Mr 7by7! your meaning of the word "only" is 500million people and almost 30 countries.

My meaning of the word 'only' does not refer to the number of people effected; as the context makes clear.

The ability to travel within the EEA, (and only the EEA, not the rest of Europe, apart from Switzerland) depends upon the factors in my previous.

BTW, the population of the world is approximately 7 billion. Which means there are far more people who do need a passport to enter and travel around the EEA than don't!

But our moments of pedantry have nothing to do with the OP; so you can have the last word on this if you want then we'll leave it and let others get back to the topic.

Edited by 7by7

it is certainly possible to get a border pass valid for 3 days. Just the birth certificate and house book is needed. One photo will be needed. Cost is 30 to 50 baht dependent on if you get from and agent or directly from the border pass office.