Two Cambodians die en route to the Thai-Cambodian border

webfact

Two Cambodians Die En Route to the Border
By Khaosod English

14029903601402990413l.jpg
Police volunteer Sombat Daan was arrested yesterday and confessed to firing three rounds at a truck of Cambodian immigrants in effort to stop the vehicle.

CHONBURI — Two Cambodian immigrants were killed in a car accident near the Thai-Cambodian border after a Thai police volunteer shot out one of their vehicle's tires.

The truck was found overturned on Prokfa-Pluakdang Road in Chonburi province on Sunday. Rescue workers found a dozen Cambodian immigrants lying injured on the road when they arrived at the scene, police say. Two immigrants died of their injuries.

The pick-up truck, carrying a dozen Cambodian nationals, drove through a checkpoint in Chonburi on its way to the border in Sa Kaeo province. An armed police volunteer nearby the checkpoint reportedly shouted at the vehicle to stop and chased after the truck when the driver refused.

The police volunteer, Sombat Daan, followed the truck for about five kilometres and fired several shots at the vehicle. One bullet struck an 11-year-old Thai girl in front of a grocery store, wounding her in the left arm. The girl was later sent to hospital where she recovered from her injuries, said her father, Manit Soipetch.

Another bullet struck one of the truck's tires, causing the vehicle to spin out of control and flip over, killing two passengers.

Mr. Sombat was arrested yesterday and confessed to firing three rounds at the truck in effort to stop the vehicle. He has been charged with committing reckless actions leading to injuries and deaths, carrying a firearm without permit, carrying a firearm into residential area without permit, and discharging the firearm without due cause.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Sanit Mahathaworn said the police promptly arrested Mr. Sombat to express their sincerity towards the Cambodian immigrants.

"We want to stress that the rumour among immigrants that police and troops are using violence against the immigrants is completely untrue," Pol.Maj.Gen. Sanit said. "This case was caused by a police volunteer who tried to arrest suspects and resorted to a disproportionate action. The police do not condone this action."

The incident took place amid a mass exodus of Cambodian immigrants who have been fleeing the country in droves out of the fear that Thailand’s military junta is prepared to launch a harsh crackdown on alien workers.

Officials say more than 160,000 Cambodian workers have left Thailand in the past week alone. Human rights groups have accused Thai authorities of intimidating the immigrants and coercing them to leave the country.

However, the military junta's National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has steadfastly denied that there has been any effort to drive the immigrants away. An NCPO spokesperson, Col. Winthai Suvaree, blamed the situation on "misunderstanding."

The NCPO only intends to reform and regulate the system of migrant workers in Thailand to solve the problem of illegal immigrants, Col. Winthai said.

The NCPO issued an announcement today, demanding that “every bureaucratic agency must strictly enforce the laws to crack down on human traffickers and smugglers that ferry illegal immigrants into the country.”

Thailand has a total of 2.23 million migrant workers sustaining its economy, 1.82 million of whom entered the country illegally, said Thanit Noomnoi, deputy director of the Ministry of Labour’s Department of Employment.

Mr. Thanit also offered another explanation for the mass exodus of Cambodians. He suggested that hundreds of thousands of immigrants are simply heading home in time for rainy season.

"It's rainy season right now, so they have to go back and help their families in the rice field," Mr. Thanit said.

He also dismissed concerns that Thailand will suffer labour shortage in the near future.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1402990360&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-06-17

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" carrying a firearm without permit, carrying a firearm into residential area without permit, and discharging the firearm without due cause."

Common. He is only doing his job stopping human traffickers. He should be given a medal for his Mad mad Bruce Willis Die Hard X bravery. I guest he must be one of of those ex-guard for both UDD & Suthep.

No finger pointing on the picture... <deleted>!?!?! Is that only for the bad stupid farangs caught in "Be happy" Thailand?

If you don't like anything about the place, I suggest you remove yourself forthwith and stop your suffering.

If you are not in Thailand, then &lt;deleted&gt;.

Ahaaaaaa...... a police volunteer.... One of thaksin't heroes.

You couldn't make it up could you.

So nothing at all to do with the Junta then.... That makes life a lot easier.

Did you not get the memo that said the Police were under the control of the Junta then?

oh wait, you are looking at plausible deniability here ? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

"He has been charged with committing reckless actions leading to injuries and deaths, carrying a firearm without permit, carrying a firearm into residential area without permit, and discharging the firearm without due cause."

Firing at the tires of a pick up that has a dozen people on the back is at least manslaughter. For sure its more than just "committing reckless actions leading to injuries and deaths".

No finger pointing on the picture... <deleted>!?!?! Is that only for the bad stupid farangs caught in "Be happy" Thailand?

If you don't like anything about the place, I suggest you remove yourself forthwith and stop your suffering.

If you are not in Thailand, then <deleted>.

What is your point here? Anyhow I am indeed going to leave this beautiful country very soon after 10 years here. Enough of all this BS, fake, lies, hiding the truth, corruption and so on. This is only getting worse years after years and military will not change anything besides some cosmetics.

• Like 1

"He has been charged with committing reckless actions leading to injuries and deaths, carrying a firearm without permit, carrying a firearm into residential area without permit, and discharging the firearm without due cause."

Firing at the tires of a pick up that has a dozen people on the back is at least manslaughter. For sure its more than just "committing reckless actions leading to injuries and deaths".

What's your better alternative?

Fire straight at the driver?

What is your point here? Anyhow I am indeed going to leave this beautiful country very soon after 10 years here. Enough of all this BS, fake, lies, hiding the truth, corruption and so on. This is only getting worse years after years and military will not change anything besides some cosmetics.

And to which veritable, trouble free Eden will you be heading? Anywhere, surely, will be a relief after 10 years of hell on earth here in Thailand eh?wink.png

• Like 1

And to which veritable, trouble free Eden will you be heading? Anywhere, surely, will be a relief after 10 years of hell on earth here in Thailand eh?wink.png

I wonder how police volunteers are selected? Perhaps another area needing reform?

BANGKOK: -- Acting commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Pol Gen Watcharapon Prasarnrachakit indicated Monday that the reform of the Royal Thai Police is expected to be finalized before he retires this year.

Several questions have to be asked here...

This was a checkpoint that was manned by the Police, yes or No.?

Was this volunteer manning the checkpoint, at the time, or was he as it's states "nearby the checkpoint" ?

If the checkpoint wasn't manned, there was obviously no traffic control required yes or no ?

What grounds did the "volunteer" have to shout at the vehicle to stop if he wasn't manning the checkpoint?

Was he in any form of uniform at the time?

And why did "a volunteer" chase the vehicle and not a real police officer? Very strange "police work"...

• Like 2

I know there's cruelty all over the world, but the way developing countries seem to create that particular brand of evil is a depressing reflection on humanity, the man that shot recklessly didn't worry about killing anyone as in his mind he wasn't shooting at people, there's many with different degrees of this way of thinking - at the top end you've got a general belief that there are individuals such as prisoners and poor neighbouring nationals aren't human, then the different degrees of ignorance in between until we reach the psychopathic sadists who actually take pleasure in inflicting pain and suffering on these kinds of people on a daily basis, that would probably be the boss (is that a case of power corrupts or that particular type being held up as a role model in the circles of abuse and misery)

To think so many come by free will (many don't) makes me wonder what things are like where they are already.

Always wondered about those places you hear about where Cambodian, Lao and Thai women are handcuffed to a bed and kept as a slave to a non stop traffic of men, is the fishing industry a male equivalent, this is a must read!

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jun/10/-sp-migrant-workers-new-life-enslaved-thai-fishing

why are these wanna bes alowed to carry guns?...its pretty obvious that his police friends would know he has a gun strapped to his waist

Nothing is ever wrong here until after the event...

He has been charged with committing reckless actions leading to injuries and deaths, carrying a firearm without permit, carrying a firearm into residential area without permit, and discharging the firearm without due cause.
Edited by richard_smith237

"One bullet struck an 11-year-old Thai girl in front of a grocery store, wounding her in the left arm. The girl was later sent to hospital where she recovered from her injuries"

Wow! Mighty quick recovery from a gun shot wound. Reminds me of the gamma rays in The Incredible Hulk....

I wouldn't be suprised if carrying a gun was his main motivation for beeing police volunteer. Very very sad story. And much more sad that they will not learn from this. Tomorrow it will be already forgotten.

RIP you foreign workers. Hope your families get some compensation, but i doubt it sad.png

I wonder if he was pissed off because by not stopping they denied him the opportunity to strut his stuff, and perhaps levy a few lucrative "spot fines" on the unfortunate Cambodians?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The weapon handling skills of some of these volunteers are awesome. At Best Beloveds uncles cremation 18 months ago ( he had been a member) his mates, in uniform, started firing in the air in a salute. Chap near me pulled out an old Colt .45 and loosed off into the sky. When it stopped going bang he just shoved into the waistband of his pants without looking to check if it was clear. Another bloke across the crematorium grounds opened up at the sky with an old M16. As it hadn't been cleaned since the fall of Saigon, after a couple of bursts it jammed. He then proceeded to try and clear the blockage, waving his gat around as he did so. I grabbed daughter and her cousin, and made sure that the engine block of my pick up was between them and the Wyatt Earp of Wiang Chiang Rung! He eventually gave up and wandered off still carrying the jammed rifle.

If that was par for the course, then the locals were lucky to get away with a girl with a minor wound when this clown sprung into action!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The official story is the rumors are "almost all untrue".

When people live precarious lives, almost isn't good enough.

Despite my occasional observations, I think General Prayuth O-cha is doing a good job. There is simply no way every monitored policeman, volunteer policeman, and soldier has his focus or character. He is facing an enormous task in dealing with illegal workers, since many -- if not most -- are working for his most staunch supporters.

Despite the perks and power, I simply would not want his job -- under any circumstances.

• Like 1