Nightmare in Pattaya

Yann55

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say....

I'm a Farang and I have an SUV and I have had old Farang Motorcycle riders dangerously riding in front of me, then turning round giving me a glare....!!!

I'm all over them from that instant, I want to pull them over and drum into them that if you bring a motorcycle to a fight with a Fortuner, you're gonna lose, and , you never challenge people on the road, it's dangerous, a friendly burn up , ok, but aggression, especially when you are the wrong side of 60 is not a good idea.

Old Farangs should be banned from driving in Thailand.

So bu your own admission, you are Bully that preys on older guys ? Wow, that's something to be really proud of.

• Like 2

Why could you not have waited for him to go by first? Would have avoided all the issues from the start. You're lucky he didn't kill you.

Because we all do stupid things sometimes ?

Because I didn't realize that shooting this one glare at him would turn him into a murderous idiot ?

Because I was in the present, not in the future ?

Anyway, you're right, I was lucky. Or was I ? blink.png

Your comment proves that you read the whole story thoroughly ... thank you for that smile.png

I must say....

I'm a Farang and I have an SUV and I have had old Farang Motorcycle riders dangerously riding in front of me, then turning round giving me a glare....!!!

I'm all over them from that instant, I want to pull them over and drum into them that if you bring a motorcycle to a fight with a Fortuner, you're gonna lose, and , you never challenge people on the road, it's dangerous, a friendly burn up , ok, but aggression, especially when you are the wrong side of 60 is not a good idea.

So bu your own admission, you are Bully that preys on older guys ? Wow, that's something to be really proud of.

Yep, seems we have one of those courageous machos here who merrily drives around in his tanklike vehicle while bravely showing older motorcycle drivers how wrong they are to be old, imperfect, and driving motorcycles in his vicinity clap2.gif go man, go ! kill'em all !

I must say....

If you were a falung why would you use a pic of a Sikh? Indians are caikes not falungs and you should be more considerate driving in a tourist area however stupid the scooter riders are.

so your'e racist , good luck with that .

Caikes are caikes falungs are falungs. Oranges are oranges and apples are apples. Watch you don't knock a Russian off his bike.

Kaeks an farangs man.

Why could you not have waited for him to go by first? Would have avoided all the issues from the start. You're lucky he didn't kill you.

Because we all do stupid things sometimes ?

Because I didn't realize that shooting this one glare at him would turn him into a murderous idiot ?

Because I was in the present, not in the future ?

Anyway, you're right, I was lucky. Or was I ? blink.png

Your comment proves that you read the whole story thoroughly ... thank you for that smile.png

You must have been terrified, what started out as perhaps a reflex action to a situation, (that if in the Uk as an example may have been so different)

I can only imagine the fear you must have felt, the worry that you would be hurt further, the trying desperately just to get away from this nutcase. I think given the circumstances you describe you were very fortunate that you held it together long enough to eventually get out of it.

There are many perhaps less able, maybe over weight, or not too healthy that could have resulted in a heart attack.

To be in that situation, alone, dont really know where you are going, driven by fear, dont know the language, nowhere to turn for help.

I am not the least bit surprised it left its mental scars on you.

Its all too easy to pass cliche remarks and "you should have" etc, but no one can really know what you felt unless they have been there.

I hope though in all seriousness, that you are now a little slower to react to any situation and think about what might happen before rather than later.

It is in many respects like the wild west out here, and in many instances you can find yourself totally alone without the back-up you have always relied on and taken for granted in the home country.

best of luck and hope time is the healer.

• Like 1

Going back 4 or 5 years years a lot of middle aged Thais were taking roids. I battered quite a few of them. Absolute psychos. You could see they were on roids because there was no fat between the skin and muscle. They've stopped now, don't know why? Haven't had any road rage incidents for years.

It is safe to re-enter the waters!

Had one 2 days ago, for no reason guy comes right up behind me then undertakes where the motorbikes go pulls in between me and the car in front then repeats on the guy in front, then he stops on the hard shoulder bit and does it all again, then stops on the hard shoulder comes up behind me flashing lights and then tries to undertake again on the hard shoulder but I block him as Im tired of his crap, then we get him driving up my arse and lights flashing to which I stand on the brakes, he skids and then carries on trying to do the same.

Its the point now where i am going to ram him off the road as he is totally nuts, he comes up the inside again then stops and does a u turn???????? go figure??

Sounds like roids if they are on meth they are not interested in you personally. One guy I apologized to profusely even though I hadn't done anything wrong, just to stop wasting time, but he just kept raging. So I knocked him out cold in the middle of the Expressway.

And then you woke up...

The Thais view farangs as lower than whale s**t. The SUV driver and the Thai couple just decided on that day to not put on the act. I, too, am glad the OP survived and is 90% OK. Look at it this way, OP; on that day two years ago you caught a glimpse of what they really think of farangs. Keep that in mind as you continue to stay here. I know I will.

Edited by mesquite

You must have been terrified, what started out as perhaps a reflex action to a situation, (that if in the Uk as an example may have been so different)

I can only imagine the fear you must have felt, the worry that you would be hurt further, the trying desperately just to get away from this nutcase. I think given the circumstances you describe you were very fortunate that you held it together long enough to eventually get out of it.

There are many perhaps less able, maybe over weight, or not too healthy that could have resulted in a heart attack.

To be in that situation, alone, dont really know where you are going, driven by fear, dont know the language, nowhere to turn for help.

Its all too easy to pass cliche remarks and "you should have" etc, but no one can really know what you felt unless they have been there.

I hope though in all seriousness, that you are now a little slower to react to any situation and think about what might happen before rather than later.

It is in many respects like the wild west out here, and in many instances you can find yourself totally alone without the back-up you have always relied on and taken for granted in the home country.

MichaelJackson, I must thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to write such kind words, and I'm impressed with how accurately you seized, understood and analyzed the situation.

Yes my contemptuous glare was a reflex action, of course it was, and the irony is that I thought I was being clever for not reacting more visibly or loudly !

The amount of stress was one of the worst I've been through in my life, and I guess it's something you can say whenever you think that said life is going to be taken from you within seconds. Although life can indeed be snatched from us at any given time, it's not something we are often made so acutely aware of !

I don't blame people for telling me 'you sould have' etc because they're right, in fact, and I've been telling myself the very same things afterwards. But it's true that it doesn't help, it just points.

Yes I am a lot (not a little) more cautious nowadays, and as i said in the opening lines of my post, I do hope my scary story will help a few others to keep their reactions in check before they start a murderous frenzy in some crazy driver's neurones. Especially in the Wild East wai2.gif

" In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”― Michael Jackson

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 2

i would have stabbed him the first time but i have

no tolerance at all for personal attacks

better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I knife is no protection against someone like that especially with the age gap. A knife is only effective if you are real close to him, not if you are trying to get away. If you want to use a knife in self defence, learn how to throw one, and don't forget, you will only have one chance.

if the guy was close enough to punch him he was close enough to be stabbed in return

and for all the people that say you dont get get a jury in thailand im well aware

do you think i would stay at the scene if i stabbed a attacker in self defence ?

just protect yourself first ad foremost and gtfo of there ASAP

its not like the police cant be bribed in the unlikley event you get caught later

cash rules in thailand

i would have stabbed him the first time but i have

no tolerance at all for personal attacks

better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I knife is no protection against someone like that especially with the age gap. A knife is only effective if you are real close to him, not if you are trying to get away. If you want to use a knife in self defence, learn how to throw one, and don't forget, you will only have one chance.

if the guy was close enough to punch him he was close enough to be stabbed in return

and for all the people that say you dont get get a jury in thailand im well aware

do you think i would stay at the scene if i stabbed a attacker in self defence ?

just protect yourself first ad foremost and gtfo of there ASAP

its not like the police cant be bribed in the unlikley event you get caught later

cash rules in thailand

With all due respect I don't think someone who has a dove as their avatar would feel comfortable stabbing people. Pepper spray perhaps?

I'm prepared to rule out the Thai Taser as my weapon of choice in road rage incidents. Might be great if I just wanted to make my opponent(s) sufficiently angry to set my corpse on fire then urinate on it after attacking me with a machete, but beyond that I'm not sure exactly what purpose these things serve. I might have to nip down to the Devil's Den and see if someone down there can explain it to me.

• Like 1

I'd have nightmares too, recalling that I fled away in a full panic like a little girl after being snarky and getting called on it.

I'm assuming that's a dove for your avatar,
Glad you're ok, bruises will heal but the stink of humiliation will take a little longer.

If your going to cut someone off in traffic then give shi.ty glares be ready for consequences.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your road rage incident. These kind of things happens to Thais too.
Reminds me of a story from December 2012 where a Thai vet and his wife got into an altercation with a soldier while driving their car. All they did was sound their horn at him after he cut them up on the road. He got out his car and attacked them. The wife filmed it on her camera.
http://youtu.be/rtJGnGOakwI?t=1m7s

Going back 4 or 5 years years a lot of middle aged Thais were taking roids. I battered quite a few of them. Absolute psychos. You could see they were on roids because there was no fat between the skin and muscle. They've stopped now, don't know why? Haven't had any road rage incidents for years.

I don't understand what you mean by roids? Were they taking them for bodybuilding? I do know that it's easy to get roids in thailand they are much cheaper but they might not be the real deal as in they could kill you. I mean roids by themselves aren't safe for health and unless you want to look jacked i don't think they are used for any other purpose. Correct me if i am wrong.

A famous internet personality in the bb/fitness community from australia died in a sauna in thailand. His online moniker was zyzz and yes he took roids and he visited thailand to get them i think.

Op claims he was 56 at that time so he's 58 today. I am sure he looks just like any regular person at that age which would be you know that of an aging person and if he did not exercise, workout when he was younger would have some type of belly, look frail. So i am sure he would look like a typical senior citizen and the driver that attacked him obviously wouldn't be intimidated by him but more likely op would be the one that was intimidated so i think that could be one of the reasons why he decided to pursue op cos he was easy prey. Someone he could manhandle easily. I am surprised the thai couple didn't come to op's aid because senior citizens are respected in thailand but i think they did not do it because the man pursuing op spoke to them in thai and him being someone with some status as indicated by op meant that it was better that the thai couple side with op's assailant. Win win situation for them because if they aided op they would need to cross op's assailant which wouldn't do them any good and op isn't even thai so that works out even worse for him and it would not be in their favor to side him.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I’ve been living here long enough and heard my share of horror stories about Thais colliding with a farang and calling local ‘law enforcement’, the result being that the farang has absolutely no chance of getting his side of the story through and ends up paying the big bucks, having to bribe high and low and possibly spending time in prison.

Good post but not strictly true. If you can't speak Thai and have no influence or influential friends then you will pay. True, tourists likely will pay.

I've been in accidents where I got full compensation.

I used to be quite violent on the road in that I'd honk my horn a lot but now rarely do. A friend's son was shot in the head for doing so and near my house in Khon Kaen last year someone was killed for blowing their horn.

It is wise to carry a gun in your car, if you drive at night regularly.

Is it any worse than America? I heard people get killed there for road rage and they even drive by and shoot innocent kids!

Yes - the world is ending in a sea of road rage - TVF - hub of farang exaggerators.

" In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”― Michael Jackson

Kudos to OP for quoting michael jackson. First time i saw someone quoting MJ. After mj's trial with the sex with kids he was like totally hated on and washed up before he died suddenly and ppl started sympathsizing with him again. I don't think ppl actually gave a **** about what he said or any of his songs anymore.

• Like 1

The Thai little big man. All his life he's been led to believe he's God's gift to the world. He's never criticised from the day he is born, just fawned over with excessive admiration and made to feel he's the perfect human being who can do no wrong. He's never truly disciplined, and so grows up thinking he can do whatever he likes. This is where the road rage comes from. Implied, or real, criticism of his actions, even if justified, is not acceptable to him.

• Like 1

The Thai little big man. All his life he's been led to believe he's God's gift to the world. He's never criticised from the day he is born, just fawned over with excessive admiration and made to feel he's the perfect human being who can do no wrong. He's never truly disciplined, and so grows up thinking he can do whatever he likes. This is where the road rage comes from. Implied, or real, criticism of his actions, even if justified, is not acceptable to him.

You sure? You mean thai society treats the males like this? Aren't there many poor and low classed thai males around and i am sure they are kicked about. The high class thai males are treated like high society in every country. I mean the son of a rich farang family in farang land must be fawned upon too right.

One of these days these Thai hard men will ***k with the wrong dude. It will be extremely satisfying to read of them being put right, ie smashed up and preferably in front of a large crowd with cameras running to ensure maximum loss of face.

Pattaya does have some dubious types and yes yes yes it happens the world over, but there is just something very off when a Thai loses it over the most benign, petty little thing.

That you have decent Thai buddies, op, is great. I have, too, but have also seen these flare up in a big way when slighted; normally-passive, very pleasant professional women included. We're not talking bar girls here. Not Thai bashing, just saying how I've seen it.

Remember this: if there is an atmosphere of any kind or you are near Thai males that are drinking that are not part of your circle, DO NOT look them in the eye!

Just move on. I would have left Pats--and Thailand for a while--but consider you were just unlucky to run into two sets of lowlives one after the other (some here are great opportunists), but there are days like that -- strangers look ugly when you're alone etc, and things can go wrong fast. They're going against everything the Buddha taught but likely still do the merit making routine... karma will catch up to these things eventually and when they die nobody will care.

• Like 1

You sure? You mean thai society treats the males like this? Aren't there many poor and low classed thai males around and i am sure they are kicked about. The high class thai males are treated like high society in every country. I mean the son of a rich farang family in farang land must be fawned upon too right.

It's in all stratas of Thai society. Combined with "face", and you have a potent mix, ready to explode at the slightest hint of a criticism. And Thai women support them, as I've found to my chagrin over the years.

Op claims he was 56 at that time so he's 58 today. I am sure he looks just like any regular person at that age which would be you know that of an aging person and if he did not exercise, workout when he was younger would have some type of belly, look frail. So i am sure he would look like a typical senior citizen and the driver that attacked him obviously wouldn't be intimidated by him but more likely op would be the one that was intimidated so i think that could be one of the reasons why he decided to pursue op cos he was easy prey. Someone he could manhandle easily. I am surprised the thai couple didn't come to op's aid because senior citizens are respected in thailand but i think they did not do it because the man pursuing op spoke to them in thai and him being someone with some status as indicated by op meant that it was better that the thai couple side with op's assailant. Win win situation for them because if they aided op they would need to cross op's assailant which wouldn't do them any good and op isn't even thai so that works out even worse for him and it would not be in their favor to side him.

56 is a 'frail senior citizen' in your world ? Not sure how hard their lives have been, but I would associate that image with someone well into their 70s - in some cases, even those guys still have their act together physically. I dont pretend to be Chuck Norris, but at 55 I'd like to think I wont disintegrate completely over the coming 10 months. Bruce Willis is 59, has reportedly battled drink and drugs yet somehow seems to have gotten his act together - I'm sure having money hasnt hurt his prospects, but it didnt help Steve Jobs. We take the cards we are dealt, but there is no way a man in his mid-fifties is a 'frail senior citizen' unless he has spent a good portion of the preceding 30 years hammering himself or succumbed to a particularly nasty illness.

40492_pro.jpg

Of course, if this is the way one elects to spend one's 'youth', 56 could be a very big ask:

David_Threlfall_1243914c.jpg

I don't understand what you mean by roids? Were they taking them for bodybuilding? I do know that it's easy to get roids in thailand they are much cheaper but they might not be the real deal as in they could kill you. I mean roids by themselves aren't safe for health and unless you want to look jacked i don't think they are used for any other purpose. Correct me if i am wrong.

A famous internet personality in the bb/fitness community from australia died in a sauna in thailand. His online moniker was zyzz and yes he took roids and he visited thailand to get them i think.

The higher class Thais were taking them along with testosterone to look "ripped" dissolving the fat from between the skin and muscle. They are expensive that's why most of the guys I've had incidents with were driving Mercs and BMW's but some SUV guys also. I guess something wasn't working out for them. Maybe they died like you said. I haven't had any problems for a long time but it used to be an almost weekly occurrence that someone would get upset about something idiotic. Strange thing was Thais never got involved and these guys were always alone. I think even the Thais could see they were out of their tree.

I'd have nightmares too, recalling that I fled away in a full panic like a little girl after being snarky and getting called on it.

I'm assuming that's a dove for your avatar,

Glad you're ok, bruises will heal but the stink of humiliation will take a little longer.

If your going to cut someone off in traffic then give shi.ty glares be ready for consequences.

Wow, that's a very nasty comment from you, Mr Cobra, thank you very much, and I guess you chose your nickname well clap2.gif

I was wondering when some real man would step in and tell me what a sissy I was not to throw a punch at that guy and not wait for him to come back with his gun or baseball bat so I could do my kungfu and teach him a lesson, as you would, no doubt, have done in that situation. But then I'm only a normal person, not a superhero like you sad.png

To make matters worse in the 'little girl' department, I confess that I do meditation, walking on the hill in the mornings, reading, and... playing the piano !! how lame is that ?! I do love football and beer, though, but I also love to cook and go to classical concerts so I guess I'm pretty much beyond redemption in a real man's eyes.

However... where I come from and in the planet I live on, there are many ways of being a man, which do not all involve throwing punches, owning a gun, talking tough, driving a big tank-like vehicle and calling guys who are not like me 'little girls'. I experienced all kinds of feelings after the incident but humiliation was not one of them, I regret to admit.

As for the picture on my avatar, you also got that wrong, but then of course you would. It's a pigeon, not a dove (though I wouldn't mind if it was) and you may notice that behind the bird is also a baby monkey. This unusual pair met in a Chinese zoo a few years ago. The monkey had lost its mother and was letting itself die when it came across the pigeon and the most extraordinary friendship started between the two, prompting the monkey to start accepting food again. Terribly sissy story huh ? What I like in that pic is that it shows how utterly different species can sometimes become best friends. Like you and I perhaps ? Have a great day, Mr King Cobra.wai.gif

Edited by Yann55

The overall problem is that there are too many Thai males in Pattaya now . With the major increase in the Thai population that drive around in circles all day,

all the construction /development related Thai males as well as the s**t load of various transportation related Thai males. The best you can do is ignore them.