Should there be an "American section" to ThaiVisa?

CharlesHH

While maybe not intended to be by the OP, what an excellent "Wind them up thread". Got all the regulars fighting and bashing away. Pathetic in many regards.

@ the OP, there should be no specific country or nationality section on this forum. IMHO If you want to talk about your country, start a thread in the general forum section and just be prepared to filter and ignore the one liners and cheap shots from the vast majority. If you find a noteworthy response, PM the person and develop an off line discussion. Its forum life. In many cases, a great majority of folks lives are about forum posting and cant WAIT to fire off a response in any thread.

Sounds like an 'easy to wind them up' section might get a lot of traffic.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wellsure is a mighty fine thread,but i know i got go git little bitty shine,then i lookin for some poontang,night Y'all.

See, all us non Americans understand that, why is it that so many Americans can't comprehend colloquialisms from Britain and Australia.

"Beaut thread, but now I'm gonna down some pi$$ then I'm off for a skunt hunt, nighty night."

Are you the same experts that complain about how the U.S. has ruined the English language?

Edited by rijb

cheesy.gif

I am sure you will need a gun section there

I as a Dutchman would vote against it.. this is a nice melting pot and Americans can be just as bad as Brits and Dutch.

I suppose they could have a Redneck sub forum as well

bite me cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Edited by kevvy

I would definitely support a USA only subforum if the corollary is that the persons who post on that subforum do not post on any other subforum.

Sounds like a good plan.

• Like 1

THIS IS AS FAR AS I GOT ON THE OP's POSTS:

"I apologize to all our kind and generous Brit/Aussie typists, but not American"

I apologize for being Dutch and able to read and write Ameriglaush (English. Aussie and US bad englihs, FOOTBALL REALLY !!!)

Wellsure is a mighty fine thread,but i know i got go git little bitty shine,then i lookin for some poontang,night Y'all.

See, all us non Americans understand that, why is it that so many Americans can't comprehend colloquialisms from Britain and Australia.

"Beaut thread, but now I'm gonna down some pi$$ then I'm off for a skunt hunt, nighty night."

Are you the same experts that complain about how the U.S. has ruined the English language?

Yep, the difference being that we know your colloquialisms and the difference between colloquial and formal.

I apologize to all our kind and generous Brit/Aussie typists, but not American, ThaiVisa aficionados*, but I can not understand a third of what the heck you are writing. Brit and other slang, to me odd words for what I know by a very different word, and nationalistic-based inside jokes are confusing this old American.

Also, pardon me, but a large minority of opinions here about Thai and Thailand by typists using mainly Brit language, terms, and slang are offensive in their superior, arrogant, and dismissive statements about the Thai people and my adopted home, Thailand, which I have come to admire for many good reasons. I can't mute every typist on here.

Further, I find I get interested in a topic only to discover it does not apply to Americans and is confusing in the way the item is stated as though it applied to all foreigners. Typists on this site seldom identify their passport nationality also making it difficult to know what they are talking about. I am an American, that is USA citizen.

Is there any support for an American section to this site or a "for Americans" tag to help me focus on what I need and avoid unpleasantness and just stuff that will never apply to me?

*definition, people who like something very much.

What does "heck" mean?

Heck? The great American company Google is your homie.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But they don't know what Google means. Shakespeare didn't use it so it must not be important.

4) It would mean they could keep their head buried in their comfort zone, without actually knowing anything, experiencing anything or checking anything.

Oz

Don't knock it til you try it !

That guy seems to know a lot about Americans. I know a lot about Australians: I saw Crocodile Dundee 1 AND 2.

• Like 1

4) It would mean they could keep their head buried in their comfort zone, without actually knowing anything, experiencing anything or checking anything.

Oz

That guy seems to know a lot about Americans. I know a lot about Australians: I saw Crocodile Dundee 1 AND 2.

To complete your Australian education, you need to also watch "The Castle", "The Nugget", and the entire series to date of "Home and Away", and to get some balance, "Chopper", "Welcome to Woop Woop". and the last 20 Tony Abbot interviews and speeches.

Yep, the difference being that we know your colloquialisms and the difference between colloquial and formal.

I think many of your colloquialisms sound more like slang, with no imagination.

I'd pay real money to see you experts address a redneck hillbilly as a 'yank / yankee', to his face.

And then we could go for a walk in certain parts of NYC and LA and see how many U.S. colloquialisms you think you know before you get sliced and diced.

Oz

To complete your Australian education, you need to also watch "The Castle", "The Nugget", and the entire series to date of "Home and Away", and to get some balance, "Chopper", "Welcome to Woop Woop". and the last 20 Tony Abbot interviews and speeches.

My Australian education was completed courtesy of Paul Hogan ... but I did enjoy "A Cry in the Dark" (aka "Evil Angels") with my favorite Australian actress Meryl Streep.

Edited by JLCrab

OP or Over Poster, just in case.........

I always thought USA citizens speak English, as the majority of people in this world.

Forgive my naivety, but has that changed?

What do you speak now?

Spanish?

If a Greek, like me, can understand most of the posts (except, Sandman's), I can't really understand your problem.

non-Americans as well as non-Brits who had never an indepth exposure to certain expressions of the two laugh.png languages are sometimes lost.

they wonder

-why an American might complain because his wife hit him with a "two-by-four" (which is actually a "a one-point-seven-five by three-point-five")

and

-a Brit complaining about a high "leccy bill" which spoiled his brekky because he has less money to buy fags and baccy.

I think many of your colloquialisms sound more like slang, with no imagination.

I'd pay real money to see you experts address a redneck hillbilly as a 'yank / yankee', to his face.

And then we could go for a walk in certain parts of NYC and LA and see how many U.S. colloquialisms you think you know before you get sliced and diced.

Not to have a pi**ing contest over it, because it stands to reason, to be fair. Hollywood has exposed us to all facets of American life, whereas Australian productions are fewer, many are less likely to have been seen widely, and what has been viewed widely perhaps does not encompass the full spectrum of Australian society and thus not the entire lexicon.

Name a facet of American life and there will be a movie or TV program covering it. Heck, South Park alone has probably covered every aspect of American life.

And before you say "Ah, cartoons and fictional screen plays...." that's not the point; We have heard the slang, the colloquialisms, the dialects etc.

So it's not because we're better (that's not to say we aren't wink.png ) but just that we've had more opportunity to hear "American" warts and all.

• Like 1

Oz

Crash course on Australia in two words: Nick Cave. Tis a beautiful thing. :)

I would welcome an American section in Thai Visa where I could post my views on American Foreign Policy and the west's crackpot following of US patented democracy without my posts being summarily deleted as off topic!

There is already a community forum you can create a thread of discussion that is not related to Thailand.