Taxi mafia clean out at Suvarnabhumi airport

Lite Beer

i was litterally held prisoner,in a taxi in ho chi minh city 2 years ago,he wouldnt stop or let me out until i agreed to a higher fare,i was late for my flight and i had to grab him by his neck,then when he let me out he tried to drive away with my bags...it is every where...i always say...i have been robbed ,beat up,druged ,built the house in burriram ,with the new car and the scooters,were she now lives with her new guy...but nothing has angered me more.. than dealing with these uneducated,taxi driver scumbags....

Note to self, don't hang with Mok...........biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I've flown in and out of BKK countless times and never, ever, had a problem. Drivers have been courteous and always ask if I want to go the toll road or not. Is this a problem that really exists because in the 13 years I've lived here I have not experienced it.

+1. I didn't realise there was much of a problem. Unless they're doing away with the 50 Baht Airport Surcharge, I can't see what's actually being achieved. If people are continually getting stiffed for one reason or another, it just proves they're slow learners, nothing else.

So everyone that arrives are already hardened to This taxi mafia ??? If you are a slow learner then you have been bitten. you should not be subject to this---get it ??

If an actual genuine slow naïve person arrives it's his fault he is like that ?? these taxi vultures have to be controlled.

Mind you don't think so as YOU do not have problems because you already have learned.

No, we're not slow. We're not stupid. We're not naive.

We've traveled enough to know how things work in many places in the world. We haven't been here for 30 years thinking the world is the same as it was back in the '80s and that airlines give you free beers even in the cheap seats, and hotels don't charge more on weekends, and when you rent a car for $19 per day, you're bill is going to be $19 per day, and we're going to post that $500 stereo to ourselves in Thailand by FedEx and not going to pay any import duties or customs fees.

I'm always amazed at the people who constantly think they're being cheated by the airports, the airlines, the hotels, the customs office, immigration, restaurants, and every other entity that adds quite normal fees to their bills. Fees that we pay (one way or another) in every city on the planet. Sometimes it's added to the ticket, sometimes it's a separate charge. But make no mistake- we pay it everywhere.

Swampy's taxi system works fine for us. Better than many, not as good as others.

I have no clue what goes on behind the scenes and how many layers of hell the drivers go through during their day. But I know that I get a taxi in a quick, orderly manner without having to elbow others out of the queue, it gets me home very directly, and it costs less than 95% of the cities worldwide that I've visited. And for that, I am happy to pay an extra 50 baht to the airport that hires the guys and women that keep things moving along.

Was you replying to rajyindee ??? looks like it--or did you just jump in to get a post. Because he was implying that if you get done it was your fault for being complacent .

I'll be glad if they get rid of those blooming idiots behind the desks at the taxi lines. There is a line of taxis and then another line of taxi drivers. The drivers have to get out of the cabs and stand in line with all their papers and crap, like they are some kind of under class animals begging for a fare. Last time I used it, I got the driver and we had to walk all the way past around 100 cabs to literally the very last one parked all the way in the back, not against the curb but parked in a spot. What in God's name is so difficult about a taxi line? Why doesn't everything in Thailand need to be turned into a clusterf?

• Like 1

I'll be glad if they get rid of those blooming idiots behind the desks at the taxi lines. There is a line of taxis and then another line of taxi drivers. The drivers have to get out of the cabs and stand in line with all their papers and crap, like they are some kind of under class animals begging for a fare. Last time I used it, I got the driver and we had to walk all the way past around 100 cabs to literally the very last one parked all the way in the back, not against the curb but parked in a spot. What in God's name is so difficult about a taxi line? Why doesn't everything in Thailand need to be turned into a clusterf?

Because there aren't 2 separate lines, one for tourists who need help translating where they want to go, and the other for long term residents who just want to hop in a taxi and go. We all wait in the same line.

I still remember my first week in Bangkok when I asked to go to Emporium, and the driver said "I know it", then dropped me at the Imperial Hotel. That's when I started appreciating the "idiots behind the desks".

Imagine half the first time tourists getting dropped off on the wrong side of town because they didn't get help from those "idiots" to make sure the taxi driver really understood what they were saying. That would be your cluster.....

Every time I think the locals in any country are idiots, all I have to do is think a little harder and there's usually a good reason for the way things are.

Edited by impulse

The last clean up worked pretty good touts all be disappeared from the terminal and meter taxis downstairs respect the system.

What I really want to know is why Thaivisa's famous "CRACK DOWN" has suddenly become a chirpy and supportive clean out.

Following Big Brother's order TV? not that you weren't inclined that way anyway...

PS: I know criticizing mods is banned here but nothing says we can't reflect on the editorial line, which as been for months pretty much in line with @pravda @nationmultimedia.

Edited by firestar

Because there aren't 2 separate lines, one for tourists who need help translating where they want to go, and the other for long term residents who just want to hop in a taxi and go. We all wait in the same line.

I still remember my first week in Bangkok when I asked to go to Emporium, and the driver said "I know it", then dropped me at the Imperial Hotel. That's when I started appreciating the "idiots behind the desks".

Imagine half the first time tourists getting dropped off on the wrong side of town because they didn't get help from those "idiots" to make sure the taxi driver really understood what they were saying. That would be your cluster.....

Every time I think the locals in any country are idiots, all I have to do is think a little harder and there's usually a good reason for the way things are.

They are idiots in two languages. There were no language issues here, in fact the driver was (with us, in Thai) complaining about them too the whole way back too. There was a line of taxis parked right in front of the desk. Why did we need to walk half a kilometer to get to the car of the FIRST driver in the line on the side walk. The idiots behind the desk (idiots because of course it takes four instead of one to operate the desk) were barely awake let alone working.

All of this could be avoided too if the airport link just decided to be a real train service and open 24 hours a day.

edit: and another reason these people behind the desks are idiots was because we wanted to use the second cab in the line because it was one of the big car/sort of suv types and we had a lot of bags. Somehow waiting for someone else to come and us being second was impossible for her to figure out and sort out. It was as if we had asked her to chop off her arm and let us borrow it. "mai dai!!"

Edited by taony
  • Like 1

Was you replying to rajyindee ??? looks like it--or did you just jump in to get a post. Because he was implying that if you get done it was your fault for being complacent .

I'm beginning to appreciate why you seem to encounter all these various 'problems'. whistling.gif

Edited by rajyindee

The military seem intent on getting rid of a lot of bad apples, but what will happen when Thailand returns to Thai style democracy?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They are doing a lot of window dressing things at the moment. I hope they really start to tackle serious stuff like land encroachment or tea money in schools.

But these issues are of no concern to tourists, but airport issues are because tourism brings money into the country and that is what the government needs to encourage.

Getting rid of these "mafia" won't change much for tourists at all. They will still have the same chance of getting lost etc if they don't know where they're going and don't speak Thai. But it will help taxi drivers if it's true that the longer distance journeys are being siphoned off by those who pay a fee to the mafia.

I'm beginning to appreciate why you seem to encounter all these various 'problems'. whistling.gif

Excuse me what "various problems"

If there are any problems -then it will only be likeminded persons like you and they are few thank god.

I do not understand your problem with me, what did I do to rile you. It was you that jumped in with both feet when I was answering another poster and that was about a simple taxi problem.

So you are studying all my problems with some posters?? get a life act normal man before you crack up.

I do not understand your problem with me, what did I do to rile you. It was you that jumped in with both feet when I was answering another poster and that was about a simple taxi problem.

No problem with you - unless you ever happen to be in front of me in a taxi queue. Do you have similar difficulties in 7-11? whistling.gif

Edited by rajyindee

"All drivers would have to accept that the passengers they get, and the destination, would depend on the luck of the draw."

"Under the new computerised system, drivers accepting short-distance passengers would be allowed more frequent access to the queue"

Can someone please explain this ?

At Heathrow, cabbies who drop off in a certain radius (e.g. airport hotels) can go back in near the front of the queue.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why passengers have to continue paying the 50-baht fee for getting a taxi from the airport queue ? why....my self i find it always unfair so i take the lift and i go to the 4th floor to catch a taxi who drop another client before and go ....because i do not want to pay 50 baths extra.! and if he wants the extra money i wait for another one.i always find one who understand the situation.

well i speak thai thats the diference of course but.....what the hell !!!!

we are compare here not as human been but as a walking wallet.....thats enough....!

if the taxi run is too cheap, and i agree it is too cheap, then increase the fare for everybody in thailand, nobody is going to complain but not only in a special area where nobody from abroad or here understand the reason why...only some in the government does, thats it.

also ....we foreigners in general agree that we are fed up to have 2 prices one for thais and another price for farang..even if you are married with a thai they still make the diference and wen have to pay.... to me ..this is discriminination, racism, a will to make a diference beetween people....in this 20 th century this is totally old fashion and again totally unfair. and this is not dign for a country like thailand who live because of the tourism and the people living all year here who bring bilions of baths all together.

the military government who want to put the thing right should read our post and take some advice because this is not only rabbish what we write here

this is our fillings, and i think we pay enough to have the right to give our impression about what is right or wrong

coffee1.gif

.... sorry ..... you probably meant 21st century ..........wai2.gif

Bring the General to Phuket to clean up the Shit scum... I mean the so called taxi/tuk tuk mafia here. These guys all need a good kick in the arse or an m16 rammed down their throat. I personally don't get intimidated by the mafia (tuk tuk) because I don't consider them to be. They are basically bunches of uneducated want-to-bes trying to be tough and overpowering but in reality are a bunch of pussies. But if the army clean them out, it will be a much better place to for the tourists who come here as well as for those of us who live here.

Edited by Phuketboy

if you think the people behind the desk are bad at Swampy jesus the birds at Don Mueang drive me up the wall every time I comeback from a visa run.

Last three times in a row they have written the wrong area on the paper and I have had to correct the taxi driver myself in Thai to take me to the correct place

Am I missing something? Where are the taxi mofia there? There is the AOT taxi desk by the luggage carousel, which is the only licensed and insured private cars and then there is the metered taxi cue outside where one pays a standard airport fee plus the meter charge, I have never heard of them turning down destinations. Buses, mini vans and sky train downstairs. If people cannot do some simple research before arriving at the airport I have no sympathy for them as there are taxi touts at every airport in world. Suvarnabhumi is not like what Don muean was like, or how Phuket airport is now. Seems like just another day where the junta is trying to put out their positive daily spin.

They should try cleaning up the Tuk-Tuk mofia around the tourists areas, they are the real problem.

I have to agree, I have never had a problem with the Taxis at Subarabhumi in nearly a dozen arrivals. I assumed the article was about the AOT limousines because they are so aggressive in trying to get you into their cars and their rates are triple or quadruple the taxis. I go down to the bottom level and get my taxi at the taxi stand. I had no idea there was a 50 baht fee. The taxi driver must be paying this for the customers who arrive at the stand, because I have never seen anyone else pay a fee either. You are handed a numbered piece of paper with your destination, so the driver would not dare to give you trouble as his taxi number and id are recorded to match your receipt.

I have no troubles at DM either, but I have to admit that I always use the little trick of going up the escalators to the departures level and jump in a taxi that has just unloaded passengers.

No problem with you - unless you ever happen to be in front of me in a taxi queue. Do you have similar difficulties in 7-11? whistling.gif

Explain this post-if I was in front of you in a taxi queue I would expect to get the next cab before you and vise versa, I believe in no queue jumping and a normal first come first serve system.

I was brought up to wait my turn and stand in a queue until it is my turn the same as in 7-11.

So coming back to your bit about the queue--will you tell me what is wrong----unless you have got posts mixed up ???

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never had a problem catching a taxi on level 4 or level 1

We used to be able to catch a taxi on L4 but they stopped that a year or so ago by installing one way swinging gates and posting a guard at each one.

The L1 system has always worked fine for me for short trips to Suk. Soi 4 etc.. Never been refused. For long trips to my home in Sukhothai I always use the same guy. Charges 4000 incl the tip. Happy for me to down a few changs before I have a kip. He often brings his wife so she does the drive back. If anyone wants his number just PM me. Highly recommended and safe.

Good for you that you have this guy.

But for some the 4,000 baht can give them a return flight from Udon to Phuket 2 nights in a hotel and transfers. Just to give an idea that on a budget holiday 4000 bht can give you 8 days in a guest house breakies included.

A large notice board at the airport giving prices to long distance and short trips, all tourist then would have an idea how much their destination would be..

In Jomptien at a taxi stand /office all prices are shown to most destinations. no problems. Queue without fee mafia thank you.

Sure but the last flight to Sukhothai is about 3pm. I normally arrive later and the cost of a couple of taxis, a hotel in Soi Nana, the obligatory few beers and a meal and the cost of the flight the next morning all adds up to more than the 4000 baht that the taxi costs me plus I get to be home with my wife and kids a day earlier.

The large notice board you mention would be a good idea. I saw an electronic one like that in China this year.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Am I missing something? Where are the taxi mofia there? There is the AOT taxi desk by the luggage carousel, which is the only licensed and insured private cars and then there is the metered taxi cue outside where one pays a standard airport fee plus the meter charge, I have never heard of them turning down destinations. Buses, mini vans and sky train downstairs. If people cannot do some simple research before arriving at the airport I have no sympathy for them as there are taxi touts at every airport in world. Suvarnabhumi is not like what Don muean was like, or how Phuket airport is now. Seems like just another day where the junta is trying to put out their positive daily spin.

They should try cleaning up the Tuk-Tuk mofia around the tourists areas, they are the real problem.

I have to agree, I have never had a problem with the Taxis at Subarabhumi in nearly a dozen arrivals. I assumed the article was about the AOT limousines because they are so aggressive in trying to get you into their cars and their rates are triple or quadruple the taxis. I go down to the bottom level and get my taxi at the taxi stand. I had no idea there was a 50 baht fee. The taxi driver must be paying this for the customers who arrive at the stand, because I have never seen anyone else pay a fee either. You are handed a numbered piece of paper with your destination, so the driver would not dare to give you trouble as his taxi number and id are recorded to match your receipt.

I have no troubles at DM either, but I have to admit that I always use the little trick of going up the escalators to the departures level and jump in a taxi that has just unloaded passengers.

It says clearly on the document the airport staff give to the passenger that there is 50Baht airport fee

and it says clearly that the passenger must pay the 50Baht to the driver at the end of the journey.

why passengers have to continue paying the 50-baht fee for getting a taxi from the airport queue ? why....my self i find it always unfair so i take the lift and i go to the 4th floor to catch a taxi who drop another client before and go ....because i do not want to pay 50 baths extra.! and if he wants the extra money i wait for another one.i always find one who understand the situation.

well i speak thai thats the diference of course but.....what the hell !!!!

we are compare here not as human been but as a walking wallet.....thats enough....!

if the taxi run is too cheap, and i agree it is too cheap, then increase the fare for everybody in thailand, nobody is going to complain but not only in a special area where nobody from abroad or here understand the reason why...only some in the government does, thats it.

also ....we foreigners in general agree that we are fed up to have 2 prices one for thais and another price for farang..even if you are married with a thai they still make the diference and wen have to pay.... to me ..this is discriminination, racism, a will to make a diference beetween people....in this 20 th century this is totally old fashion and again totally unfair. and this is not dign for a country like thailand who live because of the tourism and the people living all year here who bring bilions of baths all together.

the military government who want to put the thing right should read our post and take some advice because this is not only rabbish what we write here

this is our fillings, and i think we pay enough to have the right to give our impression about what is right or wrong

coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

.... sorry ..... you probably meant 21st century ..........wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

You might object to the 50Baht airport fee (paid to the driver), up to you.

After taxis take passengers to the airport they have two choices:

- Go back outside and look for passengers on the street

- Wait for arriving passengers needing a taxi, but to do this on most occasions taxi drivers have a long wait in a long vehicle queue, use fuel, to take their turn to get to the area where passengers enter their cab. And they get 50Baht for the time and fuel wasted while waiting to pick up a passenger.

Bottom line - I'm happy to pay the 50Baht so that (on 90% of occasions) there are taxis available.

Edited by scorecard

It says clearly on the document the airport staff give to the passenger that there is 50Baht airport fee

and it says clearly that the passenger must pay the 50Baht to the driver at the end of the journey.

Then why do you have to give the desk lady the 50 baht and then receive the ticket ?? and have to pay the taxi at the end of the journey??

Sorry but to me if I am next in line and say to the next available taxi Rangsit/future park if he does not understand that--or Victory monument-or Don Muang-or Grand Palace, he should not be at BKK airport taxi rank -transporting foreigners.

No one expects drivers to converse in English but a destination well known he should understand especially if he is regular at the airport.

Imagine a hotel reception with only Thai speaking---the street food vendor -we get by with pigeon English- Bus stations understand when we ask for Khon Khen ?? why do we have to have then a desk to translate NANA----Morchit--Rama 5 ??

Then why do you have to give the desk lady the 50 baht and then receive the ticket ?? and have to pay the taxi at the end of the journey??

Sorry but to me if I am next in line and say to the next available taxi Rangsit/future park if he does not understand that--or Victory monument-or Don Muang-or Grand Palace, he should not be at BKK airport taxi rank -transporting foreigners.

No one expects drivers to converse in English but a destination well known he should understand especially if he is regular at the airport.

Imagine a hotel reception with only Thai speaking---the street food vendor -we get by with pigeon English- Bus stations understand when we ask for Khon Khen ?? why do we have to have then a desk to translate NANA----Morchit--Rama 5 ??

Seems to be some misunderstanding here.

I have taken taxis from the old Don Muang airport and then swampy many times (for several years 3 to 4 times every week - business day trips to Singapore, KL, HK, etc), from day one of the start of the 50Baht surcharge.

I have never ever paid the 50Baht to the taxi booth on the on the kerb just outside the exit doors on the arrival level, and more recently, at DM, just inside the final door on the arrivals level, at the airport, and I've never been asked for any tip / fee from these people.

I have a few times seen passengers offer to pay the 50Baht to the desk staff but in every case the desk staff said no, you pay the driver the extra 50Baht at the end of the journey.

Also, when DM was the only inter. airport there was a quite big sign, yellow background big size letters on the inside back wall of the taxi booth, in fact well placed so that passengers could see it well, clearly stating 'pay the 50Baht fee to the driver'.

Several times I've seen the taxi booth staff point at that sign, or stand up and touch the appropriate words.

Edited by scorecard

You don't have to give the desk lady anything. giggle.gif

Are you on here posting to cause problems ?? you have cut out the post I was answering WHY ??

If you look at that post it says "on the ticket you pay the driver at the end of the journey" I said why does the desk lady take ticket money as well ???

What is your problem with my reply. ??

Just to point out you never answered my last post as to why you are replying to me in this fashion--what is your problem ??

push off if you cannot be friendly or reply properly. Don't bother to reply if you are not friendly.

Seems to be some misunderstanding here.

I have taken taxis from the old Don Muang airport and then swampy many times (for several years 3 to 4 times every week - business day trips to Singapore, KL, HK, etc), from day one of the start of the 50Baht surcharge.

I have never ever paid the 50Baht to the taxi booth on the on the kerb just outside the exit doors on the arrival level, and more recently, at DM, just inside the final door on the arrivals level, at the airport, and I've never been asked for any tip / fee from these people.

I have a few times seen passengers offer to pay the 50Baht to the desk staff but in every case the desk staff said no, you pay the driver the extra 50Baht at the end of the journey.

Also, when DM was the only inter. airport there was a quite big sign, yellow background big size letters on the inside back wall of the taxi booth, in fact well placed so that passengers could see it well, clearly stating 'pay the 50Baht fee to the driver'.

Several times I've seen the taxi booth staff point at that sign, or stand up and touch the appropriate words.

Seems to me some booth people are taking the 50 bht. So what is the booth doing, and for what purpose. All you need is a kind AOT staff/security to see the next in line gets the next cab.

Why would the taxi want the 50 bahtextra, when he gets his meter price, or his standard long distance fare drawn up by the AOT.

So my post previous should make sense regarding all drivers knowing landmarks areas hotels-other destinations and understanding the English spoken for the area. Not be fluent in English that would be OTT.

Are you on here posting to cause problems ?? you have cut out the post I was answering WHY ??

If you look at that post it says "on the ticket you pay the driver at the end of the journey" I said why does the desk lady take ticket money as well ???

What is your problem with my reply. ??

Simple. I'll repeat it slowly for you; there is no requirement for you to pay anyone at the taxi stands. If you choose to do so, as they say, up to you - I'm sure they appreciate the tip.

Edited by rajyindee