Beer Lovers, Name Your Favourite Drop...

krisb

Outside of the UK proper beer (ale) without all that shit gas added, is very hard to find, next to impossible in fact direct from the cask.

Couple in the USA, and there is a micro brewery in Hong Kong and one just opened in New Delhi as well where you can.. But no where in the world can you get a better bitter than in the UK

it is indeed hard to find outside UK a drink called "Beer" which tastes like concentrated decarbonated horse piss as "Ale" does.

come to think of it... in the Greatest Nation on Earth™ they serve quite often a drink they call "Beer" (in pitchers!) which somehow seems to be ale-related. it tastes like highly diluted carbonated donkey piss.

now where is my flak-jacket, my helmet and is their enough ammunition for my anti-aircraft cannon when the RAF attacks?

post-35218-0-22054300-1403246982.jpg

• Like 1

Outside of the UK proper beer (ale) without all that shit gas added, is very hard to find, next to impossible in fact direct from the cask.

Couple in the USA, and there is a micro brewery in Hong Kong and one just opened in New Delhi as well where you can.. But no where in the world can you get a better bitter than in the UK

it is indeed hard to find outside UK a drink called "Beer" which tastes like concentrated decarbonated horse piss as "Ale" does.

come to think of it... in the Greatest Nation on Earth™ they serve quite often a drink they call "Beer" (in pitchers!) which somehow seems to be ale-related. it tastes like highly diluted carbonated donkey piss.

now where is my flak-jacket, my helmet and is their enough ammunition for my anti-aircraft cannon when the RAF attacks?

attachicon.gifL-dog vvvs.jpg

Oh oh, here comes 3-0 Naam.

tongue.png

Trappist beer?

Those monks sure know how to brew beers!

I grew up in Belgium not far from the Abbey of Westvleteren where unlike other "Trappist beers" of which the brand has been sold ...the monks still brew the stuff...but you have to come and buy it at their door.

http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/drinks/westvleteren-12-review-the-rarest-beer-in-the-world-20130829

• Like 1

My 'usual' when at home:

1296.jpg

Best bitter in the south:

dark-star-brewing-co-hophead-london-cock

Best bitter in the north

products_landlord_bigpic.jpg

Best bottled up and coming brewery by far that I've ever tasted

BrewDogPunkIPA.JPG

Best 'easily obtainable' beer and to drink wherever possible in Asia (compared with the rest of the muck)

sapporo-beer.jpg

Best beer of all time, although I've only had it once as it's almost impossible to find

FLO%20WBE%20ELDER%20ALE.jpg

You managed to get the best of all in there, Timothy Taylor's Landlord.

Yak was the best on offer in Oz on my last visit.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Watneys Red Barrel.....

I miss a good English Ale, served direct from a wooden barrel - although I've not seen many around during my occasional trips home.

Locally I prefer Chang classic - but only in limited doses.

I didn't think anyone ever classed Red Barrel as a beer?

I don't think any breweries use barrels anymore, they lost the last of their coopers to the whisky industry. The best beers are still 'cask' conditioned and need a landlord who knows his cellar work.

Edited by Bpuumike

come to think of it... in the Greatest Nation on Earth they serve quite often a drink they call "Beer" (in pitchers!) which somehow seems to be ale-related. it tastes like highly diluted carbonated donkey piss.

"Blue leader"....."Yes wing".........."Target Naam, 2 oclock high"........."Willco wing"

"Wing, forget it, he drinks "that beer",...."Roger Blue leader, lost cause"........."Home for bacon and eggs chaps and a pint of real beer, ......peel off and home chaps"...........clap2.gif

Good one. Standby...

Edited by Bpuumike

come to think of it... in the Greatest Nation on Earth they serve quite often a drink they call "Beer" (in pitchers!) which somehow seems to be ale-related. it tastes like highly diluted carbonated donkey piss.

"Blue leader"....."Yes wing".........."Target Naam, 2 oclock high"........."Willco wing"

"Wing, forget it, he drinks "that beer",...."Roger Blue leader, lost cause"........."Home for bacon and eggs chaps and a pint of real beer, ......peel off and home chaps"...........clap2.gif

Good one. Standby...

Sorry Transam/Mods, I can't seem to get my comment outside your quote. Haven't even had a beer yet either.

Trappist beer?

Those monks sure know how to brew beers!

I grew up in Belgium not far from the Abbey of Westvleteren where unlike other "Trappist beers" of which the brand has been sold ...the monks still brew the stuff...but you have to come and buy it at their door.

http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/drinks/westvleteren-12-review-the-rarest-beer-in-the-world-20130829

I really love an old monastry, especially those who brew.

The third pic is the best!

post-151649-0-25422200-1403267328_thumb.

post-151649-0-02196100-1403267353_thumb.

post-151649-0-01771200-1403267406_thumb.

Edited by krisb

Most of us falangs despise thai beer. I did too until I tried ARCHA. This is the beer that comes close to foreign brands like hieneken. It's not any surprise because it has won a gold medal in australia. Try it, if you haven't already.

I'm repeating myself, but there's nooo such thing as a bad beer, only some are better than others.

Archa is an easy beer, not much substance imo.

In Thailand, it's always beer weather and honestly sit me down, I am happy to drink any of them.

• Like 1

Great topic!

As I don't like wine, I am less interested in Belgian beers, but go prefer English/American beers which use top fermenting yeast that leaves a sweet rather then wine sour aftertaste.

Bitters/pale ales:

- Hitachino Pale Ale (Japan - wow)

- Timothy Taylor's Landlord

- Lia Fail (Scotland)

- Brain's Bitter

- Woldtop Bitter

- St Austell Tribute

- Rogue Dead Guy Ale (USA)

- Theakston XXXB

IPA

- Sheperd's Neame India Pale Ale

- Marston's Old Empire

- Belhaven's Twisted Thistle (Scotland)

- St Austell Proper Job

- Mad River IPA (USA)

- Stone IPA (USA)

- Baird Teikoku IPA (Japan)

- Nogne O IPA (Norway)

Brown Ale

- Rogue Hazelnut Nectar (USA - recommended!)

- Heretic Hazelnut Chocolate Porter (USA)

- Alesmith Nut Brown Ale (USA)

- Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale

Strong ales

- Orkney Brewery Skullsplitter (Orkney Islands - incredible!)

- Fuller's 1845

- Belhaven Wee Heavy (Scotland)

- Barbar (Belgium)

Stouts/Porters

- St Peter's Cream Stout (Amazing!!)

- Green Flash Double Stout (USA)

- Rogue Oatmeal Stout (USA - wow!)

- Maui Brewing Coconut Porter (USA)

- Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

- Orkney Brewery Dragonhead (Orkney Islands)

- Marston's Oyster Stout

Special beers

- Fuller's Organic Honey Dew (honey)

- Well's Waggle Dance (honey)

- Young's Double Chocolate Stout

- Brewerkz Honey Apricot Ale (Singapore - honey)

- Fuller's Old Winter Ale

- St Peter's Christmas Ale

If you ask me tomorrow, there will be others on the list. There are so many amazing beers out there!

• Like 1

Favorite style : Maerzen or Oktoberfest

Favorite beer : Ayinger Oktoberfest

But I love stouts made by the micro-breweries around the US. Chocolate stouts, bourbon stouts, russian imperial stouts. Yummy!

well, Samuel Adams Utopias is and excellent non-carbonated beer to be drunk at room temperature and offers 25.6% alcohol. Quite a kick.

Love to see some of you beer swillers manage a few of these.

I've had several different years of Utopias. It's technically a beer, but it's not beer-like at all. It's good for a sample, but buying a bottle is a bit crazy. Luckily my buddy likes to share.

changbeer1.jpg

I like this beer but don't like that the company lowered the alcohol level from 6.7 to 6.4 and changed the size from 640 to 630 ml without letting their end customers know. And then they raised the price. Good for the company but definitely not very loyal and ethical to the people that were their customers.

A change of 6.7 to 6.4 should not change the flavor of the beer. I think this thread is about what kind of beer that you like to drink because of the taste. Not about economics. (I agree with you, but that's not what this thread is about)

Great topic!

As I don't like wine, I am less interested in Belgian beers, but go prefer English/American beers which use top fermenting yeast that leaves a sweet rather then wine sour aftertaste.

Bitters/pale ales:

- Hitachino Pale Ale (Japan - wow)

- Timothy Taylor's Landlord

- Lia Fail (Scotland)

- Brain's Bitter

- Woldtop Bitter

- St Austell Tribute

- Rogue Dead Guy Ale (USA)

- Theakston XXXB

IPA

- Sheperd's Neame India Pale Ale

- Marston's Old Empire

- Belhaven's Twisted Thistle (Scotland)

- St Austell Proper Job

- Mad River IPA (USA)

- Stone IPA (USA)

- Baird Teikoku IPA (Japan)

- Nogne O IPA (Norway)

Brown Ale

- Rogue Hazelnut Nectar (USA - recommended!)

- Heretic Hazelnut Chocolate Porter (USA)

- Alesmith Nut Brown Ale (USA)

- Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale

Strong ales

- Orkney Brewery Skullsplitter (Orkney Islands - incredible!)

- Fuller's 1845

- Belhaven Wee Heavy (Scotland)

- Barbar (Belgium)

Stouts/Porters

- St Peter's Cream Stout (Amazing!!)

- Green Flash Double Stout (USA)

- Rogue Oatmeal Stout (USA - wow!)

- Maui Brewing Coconut Porter (USA)

- Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

- Orkney Brewery Dragonhead (Orkney Islands)

- Marston's Oyster Stout

Special beers

- Fuller's Organic Honey Dew (honey)

- Well's Waggle Dance (honey)

- Young's Double Chocolate Stout

- Brewerkz Honey Apricot Ale (Singapore - honey)

- Fuller's Old Winter Ale

- St Peter's Christmas Ale

If you ask me tomorrow, there will be others on the list. There are so many amazing beers out there!

Hi I don't like to blame you, but you having a very exotic taste of beer(beverages).

I has checked some of these Brands.

The most of them are somethings else, but not a beer a lot are flavoured and colored with artificial ingredients.

Only to read about these ingredients turn my stomach upside down.

For me and hopefully for a lot of other beerdrinker counts only the German Reinheitsgebot from 1516 means only 3 ingredients allowed (water, hops and malt or wheat) and no chemicals.

For me should for any other beverages which don't follow this rule forbidden to use names like: Bier, Beer, Pivo or Cevesa, caused it is something else.

Anyway I like to give you a Question had you ever tried a german beer? and in top some good Brands of Hefe Weisse(Hefe Weizen) like Schöfferhofer, Weihenstephaner, Erdinger, Franziskaner, Augustiner, Paulaner etc.

Here in LOS, I don't even look for good beer. An icy cold SML with a squeeze of lemon in it.

In the UK, I like Abbots draught, a Guinness now and again, and a John Smiths if those aren't there.

A change of 6.7 to 6.4 should not change the flavor of the beer. I think this thread is about what kind of beer that you like to drink because of the taste. Not about economics. (I agree with you, but that's not what this thread is about)

Feel free to chat away about anything to do with beers!

Ok, since a member mentioned some ingredients, seemingly 'hidden' from their ingredient list, and I possibly suspect unlike food companies who are obligated to tell us what they put in their food products, these beer companies don't have to, so why would they then?

Here's a report I found with 5 seconds of Googles help, written by a lady calling herself 'The Food Babe'...yep she's a babe alright!

Have a read of her report, titled 'The Shocking Ingredients In Beer'...bah.gif

Choosing to drink beers brewed using the German Law of Purity, makes good sense, and because of this law, there's no real hangover that chemical beers give off.thumbsup.gif

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

Favorite style : Maerzen or Oktoberfest

Favorite beer : Ayinger Oktoberfest

But I love stouts made by the micro-breweries around the US. Chocolate stouts, bourbon stouts, russian imperial stouts. Yummy!

We have a Russian Imperial Stout on at the moment made by these guys on the link.

It will be bottled after 12 months!...not joking, so far it's been there 3 months. Really nice stout!

http://www.ubrewit.com.au/

Yes, Tasmania beer is gooooooood! They also have clean good water to make it.

I am half Aussie and Half Euro person and value Euro (good) beer also.

But I must say it...that Thai beer is nothing to be so fuzzy about specially that some are made under Euro licences....

As far as we have a choice here then life is good because even good beer and drinking long time only one type becomes boring ....same with after shave 5555(you loosing how it smell...)

on't like to blame you, but you having a very exotic taste of beer(beverages).

The most of them are somethings else, but not a beer a lot are flavoured and colored with artificial ingredients.

For me and hopefully for a lot of other beerdrinker counts only the German Reinheitsgebot from 1516 means only 3 ingredients allowed (water, hops and malt or wheat) and no chemicals.

For me should for any other beverages which don't follow this rule forbidden to use names like: Bier, Beer, Pivo or Cevesa, caused it is something else.

Anyway I like to give you a Question had you ever tried a german beer? and in top some good Brands of Hefe Weisse(Hefe Weizen) like Schöfferhofer, Weihenstephaner, Erdinger, Franziskaner, Augustiner, Paulaner etc.

Have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode about the Soup N...?

Last question first, I have tried beers from ALL the German breweries that you mentioned, and I like NONE. Simply, because I don't like that STYLE of brewing.

To answer your attempt to hijack and monopolize beer and the discussion, others have brewed BEER long before the Germans, and in my opinion the German Reinheitsgebot is ridiculous! Tonight I will drink a beer made partly from honey and I will enjoy it! It's a beer, maybe not in Germany but everywhere else. If you are missing out on the global beer revolution springing out of the American craft beer movement, then I feel sorry for you. Times changes and beer evolves just like anything else.

• Like 1

on't like to blame you, but you having a very exotic taste of beer(beverages).

Have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode about the Soup N...?

Last question first, I have tried beers from ALL the German breweries that you mentioned, and I like NONE. Simply, because I don't like that STYLE of brewing.

To answer your attempt to hijack and monopolize beer and the discussion, others have brewed BEER long before the Germans, and in my opinion the German Reinheitsgebot is ridiculous! Tonight I will drink a beer made partly from honey and I will enjoy it! It's a beer, maybe not in Germany but everywhere else. If you are missing out on the global beer revolution springing out of the American craft beer movement, then I feel sorry for you. Times changes and beer evolves just like anything else.

I think that is rate opinionated.

Sorry Mods, can't get my comment outside the post.

Edited by Bpuumike

No point starting a beer thread without trying some or as many as I can find.

As mentioned by my mate Dancealot, La Chouffe.
A Belgium blonde. Not Dancealot, the beer.

So, paid around 600baht for a big bottle, bought it here in Australia. 8% beer by the way.

Poured into my favourite 700ml crystal wheat beer glass, took a step back to observe the result, then in for the first bite.

Wow!..malty, slightly citrus almost oranges,as you would expect from a blonde beer, nice creamy head and a toasty warm alcohol buzz. Really a superb example of a great Belgium beer!

Halfway through the glass now and great lacing all the way down the glass.

Magnificent beer!
Highly recommend trying this little blonde number.
Enough alcohol to tip an old billy goat....You gotta keep an eye out for this great beer!

Anyhow I'm drier than an Arabs sandal... off to re fill
wink.png

post-151649-0-19868400-1403422579_thumb.

Edited by krisb

Just come out and say it.. You tried a real ale once and unfortunately you were served a bad pint from a poor choice of pub ran by a landlord who doesn't know how to keep his ales. It happens to the best of us from time to time.

Either that or You have the pallet of a 15 year old who's just gotten over the taste of lager and is now starting to ask old men outside the off-licence to buy you and your rat-boy mates a 4 pack of super strongbow with your pocket money