Lifan 200 Cross

AllanB

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice link, I have 2 friends who ride Lifan 200 cross bikes and I can confirm that they are pretty good bikes.

There are Pirelli Scorpion trials tyres available in Thailand in the Lifan's wheel sizes, still good for light off roading but much better on the road.

Nice link, I have 2 friends who ride Lifan 200 cross bikes and I can confirm that they are pretty good bikes.

There are Pirelli Scorpion trials tyres available in Thailand in the Lifan's wheel sizes, still good for light off roading but much better on the road.

I rode a Lifan a few years back, it was new with the original tyres and on road the tyres didn't feel good at all, which put me off the bike itself since I needed/need a bike for around town. So changing to something more all-terrain sounds better and would probably transform the ride, can you buy/fit a larger/fatter front and rear with the Scorpion treads?

I am 6ft, 82kg and the Lifan fits me a lot better than the wife's Wave I use daily, plus I want to venture off road a bit, as well as Laos.

These bikes are easy to defend and easy to hate, but the truth is that the only reason to buy one is if you can't afford a Honda or Kawasaki.

The Japanese bikes are wildly superior in every way, so if you can afford one, buy one.

If you can't afford a Japanese bike, buy a Lifan and be happy that you have something to play with. ...but don't buy a Lifan Cross because you think it's better value by comparison. It's not.

These bikes are easy to defend and easy to hate, but the truth is that the only reason to buy one is if you can't afford a Honda or Kawasaki.

The Japanese bikes are wildly superior in every way, so if you can afford one, buy one.

If you can't afford a Japanese bike, buy a Lifan and be happy that you have something to play with. ...but don't buy a Lifan Cross because you think it's better value by comparison. It's not.

Most people on this thread would disagree on the VFM front, I have ridden a well used (but only 1 year old) Kawa and a nearly new Lifan and the Lifan rode much better. The problem buying second hand dirt bikes is that they generally get hammered and even Jap bikes fall apart. at 46k I could get 3 Lifan's for the same money. After 1 year the Kawa/Honda would drop by more than the total cost of a Lifan.

I could easily afford a Kawa or a Honda, but for me it is a boy's toy and I choose to spend my hard earned readdies on sensible things like beer and peanuts. If I were a young, skilled and competitive off roader I would probably go for a CRF, but I just want to muck about in the countryside.

I dont think you can beat the offerings from Keeway or Lifan for VFM , but one must remember they are built to a price. For fun off road tracks and poor roads they are fine if you can service and look after them yourself - some dealers are , shall we say lacking .They arent complicated machines and cost less to buy than (agreed) a far better machine will loose in a year or two.Depends how serious you are about the riding and if you want to spend 3 times more on a better Kawasaki KLX.

I have had my Lifan Cross for 4 years now, certainly I have gotten my money out of it. For me it makes complete sense because I use it almost exclusively off road as a farm bike, I am quite sure I will keep it forever. It has needed a few repairs, I got a new starter for it this year. But the kick start works fine and I almost didn't bother. Other than than I had a bad wheel bearing right from the start (long story) and The front brakes are permanently squeaky.

Oh, and I got a different throttle because the original is a horrible design and it kept wearing out where the cable slides through the plastic. I think my headlight is still on again off again, I don't know because I never use it at night.

I have likely put about 7000 into repairs for it in 4 years. I think if a had a mainstream bike I would have had some repairs by now too, but who knows.

That being said, I quit using the bike for long rides. I simply do not enjoy it. The cornering is horrendous because I now have aggressive knobby tires on it. But even before that, A 3 hour cruise seemed quite demanding.

If you need a bike for cruising, this is not it.

If you mostly make short runs this bike is quite suitable.

The bike is better off road than on. But as a hill climber (I am talking serious hill climbing) it can do it - but 1st gear is too tall You will soon get tired of trying to keep the revs up and the speed down on difficult off road areas. This also effects engine braking which on this bike lets you go too fast on tricky downhills, forcing you too brake too much. Thist could be fixed by changing a sprocket.

I love climbing on this bike, but I am deathly afraid of coming back down after some bad experiences. You can't have bike that does everything well. I have pushed this bike very hard off road, I always wore out before it did.

Having read the comments of the last two authors I would add that, everything is relative, a Jap bike is not 100% reliable and the KLX I rode had a few things wrong with it too and, more importantly, I could tell it was really going down hill mechanically.

I am prepared, if not happy to do some repairs as time goes on, perhaps even modify things a little and therefore simplicity is an important trait. For me, working on a difficult machine is not fun, but fixing an easy one is very satisfying, especially if it a cheap fix.

Years ago I did a lot of off-roading on 4 wheels (including Russia) and I never gave it 100%, those who did rarely finished, whether they were driving a G Wagon, LR90 or a Lada Niva. I see the Lifan as a Niva, change the wheel bearings, learn to drive/ride properly, with guile and it will do everything the others can do.

and, if we do both end up in the river I only have one thing to worry about...me.

allan, why not getting a second hand kawa klx 250 or honda crf250l?

i see them going for 90 k - 100 k thb. maybe double the price of Lifan but sure you will have a more advanced bike which will bring you more smiles per miles, safety and comfort with possibly less problems and you can sell it easily too if needed.

http://www.olx.co.th/search/?r=&q=klx+250

http://www.olx.co.th/product-100808482/

allan, why not getting a second hand kawa klx 250 or honda crf250l?

i see them going for 90 k - 100 k thb. maybe double the price of Lifan but sure you will have a more advanced bike which will bring you more smiles per miles, safety and comfort with possibly less problems and you can sell it easily too if needed.

http://www.olx.co.th/search/?r=&q=klx+250

http://www.olx.co.th/product-100808482/

I have/am considering that option and the machine would certainly have more kudos,,, I did miss an immaculate fully loaded CRF at 100k at a local dealer, but chasing all over Isaan looking at scrappers is not something I would do again. Nothing is what is seems, plus parts are damned expensive and modern stuff can be a pain...but if another bargain comes up, who knows.

Plus, as you say depreciation will have already happened.

Most people on this thread would disagree on the VFM front

Yeah, I think you're right, and in certain circumstances they have a point . The problem, though, is that people keep saying they are making Value for Money comparisons when they are actually only making price comparisons.

For example, you say that you can buy 3 Lifan's for the price of one KLX. That's true, but it's just a price comparison. For me, the Lifan is cheap, but, in the end, not good value. Here is why...

I live in Pattaya. and there is an Enduro club that rides off into the mountains on the weekends. I really, really want to join them, but I never do.

The reason I don't join them is because I have no doubt that the Lifan will break down back in the mountains, ruining the day for everyone. So, for me, I don't care if I could buy 3 Lifans or 300 Lifans for the price of a KLX. If I have a bike that I don't ride because it's to unreliable, then the bike has very little value.

If you're wondering why I think it's so unreliable, here is why...

My LIfan Cross has 23,000K on the clock. Here is a short history...

clutch blew out after about 3 months

clutch cable snapped 3 times

the front bearings blew out

I've replaced the front brake caliper 3 times! (finally I swapped the Lifan caliper with a KLX caliper)

the front headlight assembly had to be replaced (now it has a Yamaha headlamp holder)

the throttle stuck wide open once as I was approaching a red light (nothing wrong, just cheap throttle construction)

the battery had to be replaced

and...about 3 months ago I was driving down the highway at about 85kph and the bearings in the engine failed. The inside of the engine was pretty beat up. It was going to cost about 7k to rebuild it.

Instead of rebuilding it, I just bought a new engine...the Cross 200 is now a Cross 250!

Of course, just because the Lifan is not good value for me doesn't mean that it's not good value for you. For example, if you just plan to ride around on village roads, it will be fine.

I tried treating this bike like it was built with Japanese quality...and it's proven that it just can't take it. Here are some of the trips...

1200 km trip from Buriram down to the Cambodian border...

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2012/08/buriram-to-khlong-yai-my-3-day-1200-km-motorcycle-ride/

3000 km trip from Buriram down to Southern Thailand...

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/04/touring-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-day-1/

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/04/touring-southern-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-day-2/

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/06/touring-southern-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-days-3-and-4/

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/06/touring-southern-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-days-5-6/

Edited by ryanwiley

It is only value for money if it has to be fit for purpose, which, for me goes without saying.

Someone said earlier "I wore out before the bike did" (OWTTE) and that would be the case for me too, so if I joined an Enduro Club I would certainly ruin the day for everyone and it wouldn't be the bike's fault.

I am not suggesting the Lifan is for everyone any more than any other bike, but for me it ticks a lot of boxes, including my money box.

My main worry is that on-road it is not at all comfortable, but I am hoping a tyre change and saddle mod will fix that.....a lot. As I plan on touring Laos on it too.

Most people on this thread would disagree on the VFM front

Yeah, I think you're right, and in certain circumstances they have a point . The problem, though, is that people keep saying they are making Value for Money comparisons when they are actually only making price comparisons.

For example, you say that you can buy 3 Lifan's for the price of one KLX. That's true, but it's just a price comparison. For me, the Lifan is cheap, but, in the end, not good value. Here is why...

I live in Pattaya. and there is an Enduro club that rides off into the mountains on the weekends. I really, really want to join them, but I never do.

The reason I don't join them is because I have no doubt that the Lifan will break down back in the mountains, ruining the day for everyone. So, for me, I don't care if I could buy 3 Lifans or 300 Lifans for the price of a KLX. If I have a bike that I don't ride because it's to unreliable, then the bike has very little value.

If you're wondering why I think it's so unreliable, here is why...

My LIfan Cross has 23,000K on the clock. Here is a short history...

clutch blew out after about 3 months

clutch cable snapped 3 times

the front bearings blew out

I've replaced the front brake caliper 3 times! (finally I swapped the Lifan caliper with a KLX caliper)

the front headlight assembly had to be replaced (now it has a Yamaha headlamp holder)

the throttle stuck wide open once as I was approaching a red light (nothing wrong, just cheap throttle construction)

the battery had to be replaced

and...about 3 months ago I was driving down the highway at about 85kph and the bearings in the engine failed. The inside of the engine was pretty beat up. It was going to cost about 7k to rebuild it.

Instead of rebuilding it, I just bought a new engine...the Cross 200 is now a Cross 250!

Of course, just because the Lifan is not good value for me doesn't mean that it's not good value for you. For example, if you just plan to ride around on village roads, it will be fine.

I tried treating this bike like it was built with Japanese quality...and it's proven that it just can't take it. Here are some of the trips...

1200 km trip from Buriram down to the Cambodian border...

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2012/08/buriram-to-khlong-yai-my-3-day-1200-km-motorcycle-ride/

3000 km trip from Buriram down to Southern Thailand...

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/04/touring-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-day-1/

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/04/touring-southern-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-day-2/

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/06/touring-southern-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-days-3-and-4/

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/06/touring-southern-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-days-5-6/

Great Comments Ryan.

I am surprised however that you had clutch and engine problems. This is the first I have heard of someone having drive train trouble with a Lifan. As for the rest, I have had similar problems.

Happy to hear you can swap out the front brakes for a KLX set. I recommend that, the fron brakes are garbage.

What bike did the 250CC engine come from, and how much was that?

I am hoping a tyre change and saddle mod will fix that.....a lot. As I plan on touring Laos on it too.

The first big trip I did was 1200 kilometers. I did it on the stock tires. They were actually not bad. What was bad was the seat. It's not that it's too hard, it's that it's too thin! So, if you get one and mod the seat, try to get it widened as much as possible.

As for the tires, Dutchbike made a suggestion above. I was the friend he was referring to when talking about the tire change. As he said, the tires are Pirelli Scorpions. They really cut down a lot of the bikes vibration and improve the handeling. The only problem is that they are 7000 baht a set!

I also know a guy who sells side boxes, windscreens and lots of other stuff for the Lifan Cross. If you are going to gear up or make mods, you may want to contact him.....here is his LIfan Facebook page. Check out the "Touring Lifan Cross" he built--not bad!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/709232225809831/

Ryan , i have read of your adventures before - hats off to you , great rides. If correctly maintained and modified ,i dont think a Lifan will cause problems off-road more than other bikes. What wil be a problem is the budjet brakes and susspension , and lack of power. ll2 makes a valid point of buying a used KLX , but the ones i looked at (for 90/100,000 Baht) were 5 or 6 years old , with 40/45,000 KMS + on them and seemed "well used", although this at least proves their superb resale values and you may do well to consider this , and the resale values of other bikes.Not important to some people if you plan on long term ownership. Personally i would pay 60,000 more and buy brand new. BUT theres the problem - 60,000 buys a new Lifan + modifications + servicing for several years !!. Its a tougth decision either way (have a look at the Keeway 200 enduro) just to throw a spanner in the works.Nice to see some good ideas / advice and suggestions / encouragement being offered by the posters instead of "XXXXXX" are crap posts.

Hi Canuck,

The KLX caliper doesn't actually fit the bike. As you can see from the pictures, I had to have a custom bracket made to mount it.

The engine is a 250cc LIfan 167 fmm. It didn't exactly fit either. But, again, as you can see in the pics, it bolted up with a couple custom brackets.

The engine was 13,000 baht + 1000 baht for the extras...new starter...new power source...new kick starter.

Here is the touring Lifan Cross with side boxes, a skid plate, grip guards, and a wind screen. This is the guy I bought my new engine from. He loves Lifan's and can get you any custom part you need. He ships right to your door, and his prices are good.

touring-Lifan.jpg

Ryan , i have read of your adventures before - hats off to you , great rides. If correctly maintained and modified ,i dont think a Lifan will cause problems off-road more than other bikes. What wil be a problem is the budjet brakes and susspension , and lack of power. ll2 makes a valid point of buying a used KLX , but the ones i looked at (for 90/100,000 Baht) were 5 or 6 years old , with 40/45,000 KMS + on them and seemed "well used", although this at least proves their superb resale values and you may do well to consider this , and the resale values of other bikes.Not important to some people if you plan on long term ownership. Personally i would pay 60,000 more and buy brand new. BUT theres the problem - 60,000 buys a new Lifan + modifications + servicing for several years !!. Its a tougth decision either way (have a look at the Keeway 200 enduro) just to throw a spanner in the works.Nice to see some good ideas / advice and suggestions / encouragement being offered by the posters instead of "XXXXXX" are crap posts.

Hi Jeff...I agree! ...hope this thread stays positive. About the Lifan off road, I do disagree with you a bit. My Lifan can't take much of a beating off road. It breaks! I think the problem is something you mentioned, the suspension. It's way too tight! Also, my front wheel bearings blew out last time I popped a wheelie! They are just bad quality bearings...and quite important if you don't want to eat the road!

Back to the suspension, when you hit bumps hard, it feels like your spine is going to pop out of your back! ...and because it's so tight, the bike takes a real beating, as opposed to the shocks absorbing the shock. I tried to adjust the center spring, but it doesn't look like it's possible, at least not with the tools I have.

And I've gone off-roading with Dutchbike on his KLX. When we hit long bumpy stretches, I see him fly over the bumps. I try to follow, but it's like he is floating on clouds, and I'm riding a bucking bronco! Ha ha...it's still fun, but if you ride both bikes, or ride with someone on a Japanese bike, you can really see why there is a price difference.

I'm always going to feel the same way....if your budget allows you to buy a Japanese bike get one. If you only want to spend 50k on a bike, get a Lifan Cross and make the best of it! I haven't seen the Keeway...could be interesting!

Happy riding!

Ryan

if it is about smiles per miles per bahts spent or flying on the clouds with reliability which is what dirt riding is, it is klx or crf, worth the extra price and actually it is not a premium, it has to be that price to handle tough rides.

if you dont have a budget, then you can put knobbies and do some suspension mods on a honda wave or honda sonic and do trails too as i am sure they can go as lifan goes but no flying on the clouds of course.

i have ridden a converted sonic with knobbies and suspension mods for a while and it was going well on rough terrain without any problems but not good for long distance of course which lifan might offer more acommodation.

Edited by ll2

I think comparing a standard Lifan to a modified Wave / Sonic is interesting , and a good point. They can both go off-road , but not with the greatest comfort , or style.Better for dirt tracks and rougth roads , rather than "off-road".As i said , Lifan are limited by susspension quality amongst some other components , and a poor seat. A new Lifan , or a new / secondhand KLX / CRF. Up to each persons budget , intended use , distance , riders mechanical ability amongst many other reasons that make us all individual.Although the KLX was looking used after 45,000 KM , the Lifan will without doubht show more wear and tear.Hoping im not speaking out of term AllanB , but if your on a tight budget and if its the Lifan or secondhand KLX or nothing , you wont be making an expensive mistake with the Lifan , or Keeway.

Here is the touring Lifan Cross with side boxes, a skid plate, grip guards, and a wind screen. This is the guy I bought my new engine from. He loves Lifan's and can get you any custom part you need. He ships right to your door, and his prices are good.

touring-Lifan.jpg

Interesting choice of clothing, he blends in so well with the bike, how do you tell if he is riding it?

Hi Jeff...I agree! ...hope this thread stays positive. About the Lifan off road, I do disagree with you a bit. My Lifan can't take much of a beating off road. It breaks! I think the problem is something you mentioned, the suspension. It's way too tight! Also, my front wheel bearings blew out last time I popped a wheelie! They are just bad quality bearings...and quite important if you don't want to eat the road!

Back to the suspension, when you hit bumps hard, it feels like your spine is going to pop out of your back! ...and because it's so tight, the bike takes a real beating, as opposed to the shocks absorbing the shock. I tried to adjust the center spring, but it doesn't look like it's possible, at least not with the tools I have.

And I've gone off-roading with Dutchbike on his KLX. When we hit long bumpy stretches, I see him fly over the bumps. I try to follow, but it's like he is floating on clouds, and I'm riding a bucking bronco! Ha ha...it's still fun, but if you ride both bikes, or ride with someone on a Japanese bike, you can really see why there is a price difference.

I'm always going to feel the same way....if your budget allows you to buy a Japanese bike get one. If you only want to spend 50k on a bike, get a Lifan Cross and make the best of it! I haven't seen the Keeway...could be interesting!

Happy riding!

Ryan

Let me start by saying, if I found a good cheap S/H CRF I would go for that in an eyeblink, but it took me more than 2 years to find my NV400 and that was from a wide range of suitable bikes to aim at. Most have been maintained by Thai mechanics, which drops them below a Lifan straight away, so a CRF or KLX would probably be fitted with Lifan bearings.wai2.gif

Wheel bearings are very cheap and my first job would be to change them on a Lifan, from new, a front bearing failing is not something I would like to happen. Plus I won't be doing any wheelies.

• 3 months later...

Reviving an oldie as I could use some advice.

2.5 years on closing in on 50,000kms and am not getting any kms out of the last few litres of fuel. Bike gags and quits. Took to local mechanic asked to clean the fuel filter, came back he says "no fuel filter but cleaned carburaetor ". Been running on Shell 95 V-power, have also tried just running the benzene 95 for a few tanks, no change. 12 litre tank and at 9 litres it's like I'm out of fuel........

I'm not mechanically inclined, anyone with one of these bikes out there have the same problem?

Reviving an oldie as I could use some advice.

2.5 years on closing in on 50,000kms and am not getting any kms out of the last few litres of fuel. Bike gags and quits. Took to local mechanic asked to clean the fuel filter, came back he says "no fuel filter but cleaned carburaetor ". Been running on Shell 95 V-power, have also tried just running the benzene 95 for a few tanks, no change. 12 litre tank and at 9 litres it's like I'm out of fuel........

I'm not mechanically inclined, anyone with one of these bikes out there have the same problem?

Clean tank and find an in-line filter?