Lifan 200 Cross

AllanB

Reviving an oldie as I could use some advice.

2.5 years on closing in on 50,000kms and am not getting any kms out of the last few litres of fuel. Bike gags and quits. Took to local mechanic asked to clean the fuel filter, came back he says "no fuel filter but cleaned carburaetor ". Been running on Shell 95 V-power, have also tried just running the benzene 95 for a few tanks, no change. 12 litre tank and at 9 litres it's like I'm out of fuel........

I'm not mechanically inclined, anyone with one of these bikes out there have the same problem?

The petcock screws into the bottom of the fuel tank. Inside the tank is a plastic mesh-type filter element which stands vertical in the fuel tank. it is usually sandwiched between the petcock and the fuel tank. You might see it as a thin plastic line above the petcock and below the bottom of the fuel tank.

After 50K I am sure that the bottom part of the mesh filter is plugged solid. Fuel gets down to the level of the gunk, stops flowing thru the mesh, and bike quits.

Remove petcock - keeping track of where the sealing washers go, remove plastic mesh filter, clean with old toothbrush - gently, in fresh gas or WHY, reinstall.

Edited by seedy

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to hear about the history of a 50,000 Km Lifan cross. I have had mine 4 years but have nowhere near that mileage because my bike is mainly used off road. And now I have a quad. So my bike is sitting a lot lately.

What issues have developed over all those kilometers? I would say that so far you are getting your money's worth.

Question on this Lifan200:

I noticed that the bike seems to require 95 octane fuel.

Does the motor have high compression necessitating >91 octane?

Odd.

That's odd. I wouldn't think the cheap Chinese bike needs 95 fuel. Definitely need to know the compression ratio, anything below 11:1 well run on 91 (in most cases).

I have big bore kit (750cc) and a high compression (11.5:1) piston installed on my ATV and I also have programmer with 2 fuel maps on it. One for 95 and one for 91 with slightly retarded timing. It's safe to say if Lifan is 11:1 or lower than no need for 95 fuel. Most likely though it's somewhere around 10:1

A friends Lifan 200 cross, uses any available fuel( Benzine 95, Gasohol 91/95) and he never seems to have problems.

here are the specs b.t.w Compression rato=9.0:1

English owners manual attached.

Lifan-LF200GY-5-Owner-Manual-EN.pdf

SPECIFICATION
Motorcycle model: LF200GY-5(Lifan 200cc)

Dimension ((L×B×H mm):2200*860*1220
Wheel base (mm):1380

Min.Ground Clearance (mm):200
Dry Weight:120kg
Height Of Seat (mm): 870
Fuel Tank Capacity(L): 10.5
Engine Type:Single-cylinder, air-cooled,four-stroke
Engine model: 163FML-2
Bore×Stroke:63.5mm*62.2mm
Displacement: 196.9ml
Maximum Net Power:10.2kw/8000r/min
Maximum Torque:13.8N.m/6500r/min
Clutch: Wet multi-plate
Lubrication: Pressure/splash

Start: Electric start/kick start
Ignition:.C.D.I
Transmission: 5 gear
Max. Speed (km/h):100km/h
Economical Fuel Consumption (l/100km): ≤2.3L/100km
Front Type Size and Air Pressure: 2.75-21/200KPa
Rear Type Size and Air Pressure: 4.10-18/225KPa
Climbing Ability (°): ≥23°
Exhaust Index: CO≤3.8%;HC≤800ppm
Start Performance: ≤15s
Braking system (front/rear): disk or drum /drum or disk
Brake Performance: ≤7m/30km/h

• 3 months later...

I would love to hear about the history of a 50,000 Km Lifan cross. I have had mine 4 years but have nowhere near that mileage because my bike is mainly used off road. And now I have a quad. So my bike is sitting a lot lately.

What issues have developed over all those kilometers? I would say that so far you are getting your money's worth.

54,000kms on mine in about 2.5 years and have now a blown cylinder. Going to cost me 5,000thb for engine work. If yours is sitting a lot, you want to sell it?

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my 1st hand black Cross 2-3 months/1200km now and am happy to report no problems.

Impressions &c:

1. White plate & green-book just got in.

Dealer said I could keep the red plate which I'd been using.

?? Okay.

2. I noticed a slight hesitation under full power.

So switched to 95 gasoline (vs. 91) and that cured it.

3. I tried and tried to get the 5-down shift drum upgraded to 1-down, 4 up drum.

No joy.

Even armed with the part number from RichardBKK.

No success @ local, BKK, nor China HQ Lifan.

5. So figured if it was going to shift like a Wave,

might as well fit it with a wave-like heel-down-shift option.

A bit of welding, ==> + papa likey.

6. For color, bought a new front fender and plastic rear piece (red). B750.

Very satisfied with purchase.

Need some exercise, so going to moto-x track now.

Usually other kids there on Sundays.

[somebody to call EMS, worst case scenario.]

papa needs a riding partner.

thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

54,000kms on mine in about 2.5 years and have now a blown cylinder. Going to cost me 5,000thb for engine work. If yours is sitting a lot, you want to sell it?

Replaced cylinder actually only cost me 3,200thb, and now it runs like new.

• 2 weeks later...

My local small m/c shop that sells a variety of Thai/Chinese bikes, got this in recently for me to look at. Considering local Lifan shops 60-80 kms away have a RRP of 49,500 for this X Cross, this shop is selling them for 39,900 baht, which is ridiculous. I have seen their paperwork to confirm that price, as i did'nt believe they could sell this for under 40k. That includes first year tax and registration. Soooo cheap. May have to buy one. Oh, and for guys and gals that can't afford 40k in one hit, finance is a paltry 6,900 down, and 30 months of 1,790 baht pm. Their supplier is from Mukdahan.

post-139129-0-48136400-1435122259_thumb.

post-139129-0-30700700-1435122280_thumb.

post-139129-0-92181000-1435122292_thumb.

thaiguzzi , thats a very good price . They are 46,900 in CM . I hired on for a month , years ago , before i bought a Platinum PX 250 . What is the name of this shop , and where . Keep us posted if you buy one . Many owner clubs / information available here on TV .

Dunno the name of the shop, just your small average market town shop selling a bit of everything from Finos, Waves to KSR Kawas and different Chinese/Thai brands. The X Cross they got in to order on a 500 baht re-fundable deposit. Their supplier for the Keeways and Lifans is from Mukdahan. Location is Ban Dung on the main drag, Udon Thani. Staff consists of two women, one young lad jobsworth. Had a test ride, still undecided. I just dislike all that Transformer plastic, especially the tank plastics, which serve no purpose whatsover, bar giving it "modern agressive styling" (puke) and making people not in the know think that radiators are behind there (2nd puke). Fit and finish is excellent, brakes and front forks good, wrong gearing for main road use, excellent gearing for off road use. Sweet little motor. I'm hankering after something i can turn into a 70's trials look ie TL Honda etc, would be shame to cut up a new bike, but the basics are all there...

I'll add that if the tank plastics are binned, there is a gloss black steel tank underneath, cut the plastics brackets off (6) for a clean tank, respray in your favourite flavour, and you have a bike that looks identical to older Suzuki DR200 and Yamaha XT 225. Much better looking IMO...

HA HA Its a small world . I know some one in South Ban Dung , down a track next to the cement hoppers .Theres a lady riding to Everest on a DR 200 that someone comented on , as how similar the X-cross is . Its a solid base to start from and a base for many " specials " .

'tis true. However, if one is binning ALL the plastics, the tank, seat and mudguards, silencer, the monoshock, to convert it into a 70's twin shock trials bike with a cut about rear frame, narrowed and period thin tank found and fitted, a S/H one makes more sense (for me). Even starting off with a 70's trail/enduro bike may be a better base. Hell an old 2 stroke would do, bin the engine and fit a new 200 Lifan motor for 12k. This is for my own project, if you hear of anything suitable and cheap, pm me.

Edited by thaiguzzi

I'll add that if the tank plastics are binned, there is a gloss black steel tank underneath, cut the plastics brackets off (6) for a clean tank, respray in your favourite flavour, and you have a bike that looks identical to older Suzuki DR200 and Yamaha XT 225. Much better looking IMO...

yeah, I've thought about throwing the plastic tank pieces, but they do protect the tank when bike is dropped or bashed against tree or whatever.

'tis true. However, if one is binning ALL the plastics, the tank, seat and mudguards, silencer, the monoshock, to convert it into a 70's twin shock trials bike with a cut about rear frame, narrowed and period thin tank found and fitted, a S/H one makes more sense (for me). Even starting off with a 70's trail/enduro bike may be a better base. Hell an old 2 stroke would do, bin the engine and fit a new 200 Lifan motor for 12k. This is for my own project, if you hear of anything suitable and cheap, pm me.

To give you an idea of how a "naked" Lifan cross looks like:

post-143096-0-66590200-1435307687_thumb.

I'm working on a project lifan more or less as decribed by you.

Since I bought this bike for 10K and don't want to spend too much on it (budget is another 10K) I'm trying to reuse as much as possible but NO more plastics.

I'm trying to archieve a sort of street tracker/mad max look, since it's mainly will be ridden on road I will use 17" rims with street tires.

Haven't been working on it for a while but hope to have some time this weekend and will update the thread I started on it.