Uruguay vs England - Fri 20 June, 02:00 am, - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After defeats for Uruguay and England in their opening fixtures of World Cup 2014, both sides go into the match knowing that this is a must win game.

Following their somewhat toothless display against Costa Rica, Uruguay will be buoyed by the news that star striker Luis Suarez has been declared 100% fit to play.

England welcome back Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain back from injury. However, the main talking points from the England camp in the run up to this game has been the form of Wayne Rooney, who despite being just 11 goals shy of Bobby Charlton's England goal scoring record, has been on the end some much criticism following his display against Italy.

The Rooney situation leaves Roy Hodgson with a dilemma before he names his starting 11. Rather than drop Rooney from the starting line up. it is expected that he will take up a more central role up front, with Raheem Sterling moving over to the left hand side.

A must watch for any England fan.

Will the three lions be triumphant?

Or have we seen this all before?

Let us know your thoughts below.

Personally, I can see this being a score draw, then both sides will have to go into the last with absolutely everything to play for.

We know what can happen if Italy already have qualified for next round, before they meet Uruguay in the last.

Depending upon who the winner/second will meet in next round, I will not be surprised to see Italy and Uruguay play for their next round match.

England MUST win this match.

Draw is not good enough.

Rather than drop Rooney from the starting line up. it is expected that he will take up a more central role up front, with Raheem Sterling moving over to the left hand side.

Why take the most effective player away from the position he played so well in last time out, and shove him out on the wing, simply to accommodate a glowering plug-ugly who has never delivered on the big stage? Roy?

Uruguay 2-1.

Rather than drop Rooney from the starting line up. it is expected that he will take up a more central role up front, with Raheem Sterling moving over to the left hand side.

Why take the most effective player away from the position he played so well in last time out, and shove him out on the wing, simply to accommodate a glowering plug-ugly who has never delivered on the big stage? Roy?

Uruguay 2-1.

Because Uruguay will be without there first choice full back Maxi Periera who was red carded in there previous game so I think whoever they bring in will really not like Sterling running at them with pace.

Also i thought Sterling tired in the second half of the game against Italy and was wasteful in possession.The Ox could replace him if the same thing happens tonight.

Suarez is definitely not 100% match fit and he needs tackling hard on that knee smile.png early on nothing like letting him know what to expect all game,although i will be surprised if he lasts the game.

3-1 England

• Like 2

England will win, going to be a fast attacking game as its the way both teams are playing, Sterling will cause massive panic in the Uruguay defense, 3 upfront. Go for it England

i think england will win relatively comfortably really. uruguay simply aren't all that - cavani's pretty good, suarez is amazing but no way 100% fit, but uruguay lack the players to get the ball to them. no reason at all why england shouldn't impose themselves on the game and just go win it.

England will win, going to be a fast attacking game as its the way both teams are playing, Sterling will cause massive panic in the Uruguay defense, 3 upfront. Go for it England

i think england will win relatively comfortably really. uruguay simply aren't all that - cavani's pretty good, suarez is amazing but no way 100% fit, but uruguay lack the players to get the ball to them. no reason at all why england shouldn't impose themselves on the game and just go win it.

Be a bldy scream if this happens though.

'' suarez to punch the winning goal in and then run to the bench and bite hodgson's head off."

Especially at 4am in the boonies.

smile.png

'' suarez to punch the winning goal in and then run to the bench and bite hodgson's head off."

smile.png

hehe. i don't think suarez is anywhere close to match fit. and if i was steven gerrard the first thing i'd be doing would be hoofing luis right on his bad knee first chance you get. take the yellow card if needs be.

• Like 1

Uruguay 2-1.

Because Uruguay will be without there first choice full back Maxi Periera who was red carded in there previous game so I think whoever they bring in will really not like Sterling running at them with pace.

Also i thought Sterling tired in the second half of the game against Italy and was wasteful in possession.The Ox could replace him if the same thing happens tonight.

Suarez is definitely not 100% match fit and he needs tackling hard on that knee smile.png early on nothing like letting him know what to expect all game,although i will be surprised if he lasts the game.

3-1 England

I read on MSN yesterday. Apparently Stirling said he is happy to play in any position they choose.

How refreshing is that?

Whatever I would like to see him start. As for Rooney give 45mins, if he doesn't perform, he doesn't come out for the second half.

jb1

Uruguay 2-1.

3-1 England

I read on MSN yesterday. Apparently Stirling said he is happy to play in any position they choose.

How refreshing is that?

Whatever I would like to see him start. As for Rooney give 45mins, if he doesn't perform, he doesn't come out for the second half.

jb1

every footballer says that though. "well obviously i'm just pleased and proud to be selected and i'll play wherever the gaffer/boss/manager/former malmo clown tells me to and give 100%". it's a time-honoured soundbite.

and sterling absolutely has to start. he's england's best attacker.

smile.png

hehe. i don't think suarez is anywhere close to match fit. and if i was steven gerrard the first thing i'd be doing would be hoofing luis right on his bad knee first chance you get. take the yellow card if needs be.

Yep. Nice one. Should help Liverpool get off to a great start in the prem.

smile.png

and sterling absolutely has to start. he's england's best attacker.

Any relation to Sterling Moss? He was fast.

Not sure.

Seems to have a different surname, and he's coloured.

Possible clues, but I may be wrong.

smile.png

really are kid? what decade is it where you live again? ;)

Ox apparently won't be available tonight. Pity. The perfect attacking footballer for when legs are tired.

rickie lambert could get some joy against these. hope he's being considered as a good bench option.

As for Rooney give 45mins, if he doesn't perform, he doesn't come out for the second half.

45 minutes wasted. Put him on the bench, if the rest can't do the bizzo, bring him on after 60 mins or so

He is still a world class player when he turns up. And an inspiration for the younger players. Even if it is so they can show

him how it's done.

jb1

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app