Uruguay vs England - Fri 20 June, 02:00 am, - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy was a gallant effort

This was just annoying, Uruguay are a weak side propped up by a world class player and this infuriating habit of conceding costly late goals has struck once again

Germany 4 years ago was an aberration, England are rarely thrashed but also rarely win these sorts of tight games against teams around them

Poor back line and manager not suited to the players at his disposal will probably mean a early journey home, and am not sure I will be here in 4 years time either to see the next one. Limp like a wet haddock

Oh dear, the news papers are not kind to Gerrard.

Well you see this is the thing about the British media....they love nothing more than negative news designed to rip people apart.

I have watched every World-cup tournament since I was a kid and one thing has become noticeable in the last 20 years and that is that on the run up to every world cup the media decide when it is close to the time to dig up as much dirt as possible on every Player/Manager/Coach all in an effort to sell newspapers and I have no idea how any of the players can ever concentrate on one thing...the game.

I am convinced the papers are working an argument based on a version of 'Pascals Wager'. The job of the newspapers is to sell as many as possible. IF England win the tournament they sell lots, IF England lose the tournament they sell lots, so what about on the run up to the tournament, well IF the media write nice things about players about them being family men, playing for kids charities and the like, you know the whole positive aspect then it actually sells very few newspapers, so regardless of the consequences the papers try and find who has been shagging who, who has got a kiss and tell story and that sells LOTS.

By this stage of course whenever the players are at press conferences, instead of being asked intelligent questions about the game they are asked questions designed to antagonize, all of this resulting in any player finding it incredibly difficult to focus (Rooney could not even go out and do a bit of extra training the other day without being savaged by the press). Some very talented players have been known to lose places on the squad because of 'bedroom secrets' being published that were nothing to do with us in the first place. I doubt in our life times we will see any English team do well in the World-Cup because our media does not give a flying ffffff-fruitcake about national pride, supporting the guys and the prestige of winning, they sell just as many newspapers and create more nasty stories (wait for the forthcoming witch hunts) when we lose, and that is what the British media secretly push for.

Unlucky lads, it didn't work, it was a brave new strategy to bring new young blood in, but now you must bear the brunt of a national savaging.

A pox on the media!

one big excuse ! England have failed to mount any decent challenge for 20 years and with the structure of its domestic game it will never make a challenge . Barely in the top 20 of world nations

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

well, at least England made it to the WC. That's more than Ireland, Scotland, Austria, Poland, Czeck Rep, Turkey, or any of Scandinavia did. Chin up, England, you've still got Bovril and Beefeaters.

And the Tour de France. We always win that! biggrin.png

well, at least England made it to the WC. That's more than Ireland, Scotland, Austria, Poland, Czeck Rep, Turkey, or any of Scandinavia did. Chin up, England, you've still got Bovril and Beefeaters.

I am sure that is huge consolation to the English side and the supporters who traveled to Brazil.whistling.gif

Sure they had Suarez, but it was a good performance from the Uruguayans.

They were big lumps who used it to knock England off their game. It really helped that, for whatever reason, England were off their game anyway.

At least, off the one they were on against Italy. Unfortunately it just turned into a typical losing performance with England playing their amazing hit-and-hope football. Get the ball up to the final third, then flick something somewhere and see.

Give 'em the ball back why don't you, and how. It was surprising just how much of the possession we actually did have in the second half when we were chasing the game.

The Uruguayans were patient but might be faulted for allowing England to go at them so much. I think they struck a fine balance and stood off England in all the right places so they could be an unmovable force at other times.

That unmovable force was evident from the start, all over the field. England players just bounced off them.

They did alright in the circumstances of trying to beat an experienced and physical Uruguay with Ye Olde England hit-and-hope football. Not a bad loss at 2-1 or whatever it was.

Could even have won it if some of the hopeful flick-ons had actually been worth it.

Anyway, nice to see some of the new faces, should probably have a bit more of a clear out now.

• Like 1