Flag of Thailand: History and Meaning

Thaistory

Very nice,but I think your statement regarding it being one of the older flags in the world is slightly incorrect.

I would have said quite the opposite,rather it is a newer flag.

Edited by stoneyboy

It's debatable. Compared to Denmark (14th century), yes, it's quite new...

But, if you have a look at Wikipedia's "List_of_sovereign_states_by_date_of_current_flag_adoption" you'll find Thailand in the top 40 (out of 200+ countries).

Malawi has the newest flag, adopted in 2012!

I'd just noticed the BBC were using the Thai flag for Costa Rica instead of the Costa Rican flag on their football web page when I saw this thread.

Group D
-->costa-rica.pngCRC

The Costa Rica flag has a military ensign that includes the coat of arms of Costa Rica in the red stripe.

post-26534-0-73449700-1403187767.jpg

According to Wikipedia the Costa Rican flag was adopted in 1906, eleven years before the Thai flag.

nice but needs to be tidied up

is one of the oldest flags in the world, actually since it adoption in 1939 as it is now, it's one of the youngest. The original siamese flag (elephant on a sea of red) is however one of the oldest.

Oz

Oz,

Quoting my previous messages:

"I said older not oldest"

New vs Old issue

"It's debatable. Compared to Denmark (14th century), yes, it's quite new...

But, if you have a look at Wikipedia's "List_of_sovereign_states_by_date_of_current_flag_adoption" you'll find Thailand in the top 40 (out of 200+ countries).

Malawi has the newest flag, adopted in 2012!"

(1) A plain red flag became a national flag on Sep 3rd 1680
(2) Rama I added a white chakra in the center in 1782
(3) Rama II further added a hoist-facing white elephant inside the chakra in 1817
(4) Rama IV removed the chakra and enlarged the elephant in 1855
(5) Rama VI added caparisoning to the elephant, rotated it towards the fly and put a pedestal beneath it on Nov 2nd 1916
(6) Rama VI changed the national flag to five equal red/white/red/white/red horizontal stripes in early 1917
(7) The central red stripe was replaced by blue on Sep 28th 1917

This is from the Thai site on their own flag, Wiki is sometimes not your friend

Oz

It is also interesting to note that the original Siamese Flag (red background with white elephant) was rumoured to have been restored for use during WWII

Edited by ozsamurai

My video presentation refers mainly to the modern flag of Thailand (with just two references to Thailand's other flags).

The Wikipedia list that I mentioned is pretty accurate as it refers solely to CURRENT flags.

1) I said the video was pretty good, suggested an amendment to the language/grammar

2) If you don't want critique on your video, don't put it in a public forum asking for it

3) The CURRENT flag has been in constant use since 1945. not 1917 as I have already discussed, making it not even as old as the Australian Flag used since 1909. Which is young compared to the other countries, some dating back to the 1300's or prior.

Shesh some people!!

Oz