Thailand fears downgrade in human trafficking report could draw US sanctions

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an unexpected result. Looking at that graphic, even the Tier 2 watch list looks like a bit

of a rough neighborhood. Now at Tier 3 things have really turned bad, when North Korea

is your neighbor...... Now in the past, there would have some blustering face saving,

and indignation ( how dare America make critical decisions about Thailand". And of course

nothing would change, and Thailand would adapt to the new sanctions.

But now there is a new sheriff in town, Super Prayuth. I would not be surprised to see

him appoint a committee to fully explore the allegations about trafficking. And then fix

them all.......A bit of a taint for the military in this matter, as they faced allegations of being involved in

the movement of the trafficked Rohingya refugees. Hopefully that was on a small scale...

The sanctions the US imposed after the coup were, basically, some minor military aid that doesn't really amount to much. But, if LOS is dropped from Tier 2 to Tier 3, there would be major financial penalties LOS would incur. Not just from the US, but also the EU. Thai products could, and probably would, be boycotted. Stiffer trade barriers in Thailand's way for doing any type of business with anyone, and the baht would lose big time. The sanctions from the US on military aid after the coup were a drop in the bucket, a "token sanction" if you will, and only affected the military. Dropping the country to Tier 3 would have serious financial repercussions for the entire country.

Understand now?

Well, I guess we're going to find out if your crystal ball is accurate. The US just downgraded Thailand to Tier 3.

Really?

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jun/20/thailand-qatar-downgraded-human-trafficking-report

"US demotes Thailand and Qatar for abysmal human trafficking records"

And so they should be, well done the US clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif now all we need is for supersize supermarket chains to take serious notice and demand standards are raised from their end as well and put pressure on suppliers to police their end.

Further more pressure on others fights to expose this disgusting practice from the likes of Andy Hall and reporters in Phuket being hounded for doing nothing more than their jobs needs to also be highlighted. Bullys understand they cannot get away with it only when stood up to with hard and firm determination... more need to do so and things will get better for these abused people.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

I remember about 2 or 3 years ago when the Phillipines got downgraded.

The outcome of it was raids on gogo bars in AC and Manila, of which quite a few foreign owners got arrested and allegedly sentenced.

If it happens in Thailand I'm pretty sure the 1st place to investigate this illegal trafficking will be entertainment venue owners.

I'm not saying farang business owners are involved in any of that, but the finger will be pointed to he who earneth the baht.

Of course there are no cases of ''human trafficking and illegals in working as cheap slave labour in the U.S or elsewhere for that matter are there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Morecambe_Bay_cockling_disaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback

Over the years so many leading Americans have said " the US isn't the world's policeman " yet the country keeps on acting as if it is.

Over the years Thailand has made many promises that they didn't follow through on. Now they are getting called out on it. The hub of trafficking.

• Like 1

The Nation didn't refer to this report, which may had a bearing on how the US was thinking?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/11/uk-labour-ilo-idUKKBN0EM1XY20140611

(Reuters) - Perpetrators of forced labour, which affects 21 million people globally, will be punished in most countries under a U.N. treaty clinched on Wednesday, despite being snubbed by Thailand and nearly all Gulf countries.

More than half of the estimated 21 million caught up in forced or compulsory labour are women and girls and the practice reaps an estimated $150 billion (89.2 billion pounds) in illegal profits across agriculture, fishing, mining, construction, domestic services and the sex industry, among others, the International Labour Organisation, a United Nations agency, said.

Thailand's new military government was the only government to vote against the treaty at ILO's annual ministerial conference, ILO officials said.

But Bahrain, Brunei, Iran, Kuwait, Omar, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Yemen were among those abstaining, they said. The Middle East is home to an estimated 600,000 people deemed to be forced labourers, Beate Andrees, head of the ILO special action programme to combat forced labour, told Reuters.

An ILO study revealed a problem in Thailand of forced labour in the agriculture and fishing industries among others as well as among domestic workers, often involving migrant workers from Myanmar, Indonesia and Bangladesh, Andrees said.

"The Thai treatment of Rohingya boat refugees is also problematic. Thai officials were accused of trading the refugees to traffickers and media reports on this matter were heavily discussed in the US Congress recently during the consideration of the draft TIP Report."

There is some information out on the web saying the Navy could make $600 for each refugee they handed over to boat Captains? Get a few Rohingya's, not a bad days trade?

If you rely on the Nation for news, you will more than likely go blind.

• Like 1

I remember about 2 or 3 years ago when the Phillipines got downgraded.

The outcome of it was raids on gogo bars in AC and Manila, of which quite a few foreign owners got arrested and allegedly sentenced.

If it happens in Thailand I'm pretty sure the 1st place to investigate this illegal trafficking will be entertainment venue owners.

I'm not saying farang business owners are involved in any of that, but the finger will be pointed to he who earneth the baht.

Certainly, many bars that utilize young (possibly underaged) girls for prostitution will be investigated. Especially now that the military can do that without retribution/payoffs. Some girls do not want to sleep with customers, but are fired/fined for not doing so, then oftentimes are turned down by other bars of the same ilk, when searching for new employment. Word gets out.

We all heard of the low life farangs who buy girls for sex, and when they are not satisfied, return to the bar to get their money back. The girls are then scolded, fined or even fired. This is a form of forced prostitution.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Thailand has now been degraded to tier 3.

Extreme sanctions will probably not happen, due to to the close ties (thais) we have.

Malaysia has also been downgraded to Tier 3.

Tier 3 status does not impose "extreme sanctions" is more to do with loss of reputation. There is the possibility of share holder lobbying of overseas companies or proactive measures from Boards to reduce seafood imports from Thailand. The real impact on Thailand will be reduced access to funding for development projects (with increased cost of money?) from the likes of international investors, IMF and the World Bank. I suggest major investors from places such as China and Japan will step in and leverage opportunities in Thailand.

"Pursuant to the TVPA, governments of countries on Tier 3 may be subject to certain sanctions, whereby the U.S. government may withhold or withdraw nonhumanitarian, non-trade-related foreign assistance. In addition, countries on Tier 3 may not receive funding for government employees’ participation in educational and cultural exchange programs. Consistent with the TVPA, governments subject to sanctions would also face U.S. opposition to assistance (except for humanitarian, trade-related, and certain development-related assistance) from international financial institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank"

http://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2013/210543.htm

Edited by simple1

Not an unexpected result. Looking at that graphic, even the Tier 2 watch list looks like a bit

of a rough neighborhood. Now at Tier 3 things have really turned bad, when North Korea

is your neighbor...... Now in the past, there would have some blustering face saving,

and indignation ( how dare America make critical decisions about Thailand". And of course

nothing would change, and Thailand would adapt to the new sanctions.

But now there is a new sheriff in town, Super Prayuth. I would not be surprised to see

him appoint a committee to fully explore the allegations about trafficking. And then fix

them all.......A bit of a taint for the military in this matter, as they faced allegations of being involved in

the movement of the trafficked Rohingya refugees. Hopefully that was on a small scale...

And maybe instead of fishing, they will move their slaves to the growing flying pig industry cheesy.gif

Try reading the report, and see that your saviors of Thailand are part of the problem

Well, not to worry, Thailand will now file a defamation suit against the US for making them look bad and lose face. lol

I think a good start for the Junta would be to drop it's lawsuit against the Aussie journalist and others they have gone after to try and silence them. I would say using lawsuits to cover up what is going on played a role in the U.S decision to downgrade Thailand. (maybe not a major role but some role) If they drop this legal action then it will go a long way to showing they are now open and willing to show the world that they are trying to do something and not just trying to sweep it under the carpet and out of sight.

• Like 2

Of course there are no cases of ''human trafficking and illegals in working as cheap slave labour in the U.S or elsewhere for that matter are there?

Over the years so many leading Americans have said " the US isn't the world's policeman " yet the country keeps on acting as if it is.

I believe the better analogy here is the world's Santa Clause.

They're just making the list and checking it twice And it looks like only socks and underwear under the tree for Thailand this year.

Question is, if the USA doesn't take the lead, which pillar of all that is good and democratic in the world will?

To quote the Americans today “In Thailand, we have a lot of beginnings that will hopefully come to fruition, but the report doesn’t look at promises. It looks at results.”

Seems like they know what the reality is on the ground. While officials continue to be major benefactors of this trade nothing serious will be done. Sadly it seems most Thai's want a personal slave to do their chores or more likely abuse when bored so i don't see any chance of change any time soon. Truly repugnant nation.

• Like 1

To quote the Americans today “In Thailand, we have a lot of beginnings that will hopefully come to fruition, but the report doesn’t look at promises. It looks at results.”

Seems like they know what the reality is on the ground. While officials continue to be major benefactors of this trade nothing serious will be done. Sadly it seems most Thai's want a personal slave to do their chores or more likely abuse when bored so i don't see any chance of change any time soon. Truly repugnant nation.

The answer is in education as always. history and world history should be taught along with social responsibility. ( not just thai dancing but real responsibility )It cannot hope to inspire the youth and gain its respect by not teaching them how to interact and work to international standards or with those around them forever.

"There were 627 cases concerning human trafficking under prosecution. The court has sentenced 225 traffickers and many of them were jailed for more than two years, according to statistics of the Department of Special Investigation"

So, going back to the report on Yuyee, sentenced to 15 years for carrying 0.25mg of cocaine, plus 3 months for endangering rare animals. And yet a slave trader (that's possibly a bit harsh but seems to fit) gets only 2 years in jail?

It's a funny place this eh?

• Like 2

Yes there are cases but per capata not even close to Thailand. Also a lot of the illegal aliens are making fair money doing work that is below the dignity of Americans.

I knew a fellow there once who had been involved in White slavery. But as I said it is no where near the scale of Thailand's abuse.

they don't throw them overboard after beating them.

The answer is in education as always. history and world history should be taught along with social responsibility. ( not just thai dancing but real responsibility )It cannot hope to inspire the youth and gain its respect by not teaching them how to interact and work to international standards or with those around them forever.

I have a sneaky feeling that the captains on the fishing boats have an education yet continue to buy workers and throw them over board.

This whole concept coming from the US a joke. The US is the biggest user of trafficked humans and we treat them like dogs. Here are some trafficked migrants in US care, some of them children

367436_US-immigrants.jpg

In my area there are thousands of illegal migrants during harvest time. They pay traffickers to get to California just like they do in Thailand. My friend who is a farmer will call the 'brokers' up when he needs men to work in his fields, and a couple days later vans full of them will show up. The local police do nothing, they just look the other way

Edited by DP25

This whole concept coming from the US a joke. The US is the biggest user of trafficked humans and we treat them like dogs. Here are some trafficked migrants in US care, some of them children

367436_US-immigrants.jpg

In my area there are thousands of illegal migrants during harvest time. They pay traffickers to get to California just like they do in Thailand. My friend who is a farmer will call the 'brokers' up when he needs men to work in his fields, and a couple days later vans full of them will show up. The local police do nothing, they just look the other way

In your haste to bash the US, you seem to have forgotten that there is a major difference between using illegal immigrant labor and forced slavery. Many countries of the world used migrant workers during peak times, but that is NOT the same as people being bought and sold and then forced into slavery or prostitution, many of whom are never paid, and many others simply killed when their usefulness has reached it's end. Try educating yourself on the differences, and then perhaps your statements won't sound so asinine.

367436_US-immigrants.jpg

In your haste to bash the US, you seem to have forgotten that there is a major difference between using illegal immigrant labor and forced slavery. Many countries of the world used migrant workers during peak times, but that is NOT the same as people being bought and sold and then forced into slavery or prostitution, many of whom are never paid, and many others simply killed when their usefulness has reached it's end. Try educating yourself on the differences, and then perhaps your statements won't sound so asinine.

I'm American, so I'm not bashing anything, just stating the reality. I've spent extensive time in farm communities in both California and Thailand and there is little difference other than the amount paid. The workers here are forced to pay money to the immigration police, that is true, but they are rarely 'slaves' regardless of what some journalist with a pocket full of thousand baht notes says. They are exploited but they usually make money and are free to leave.

There is very little difference between here and southern California, which is my home, other than that the wages are a bit higher. There are probably millions of trafficked migrants in SoCal, who are forced to pay money to traffickers and are being exploited and underpaid.

I'm American, so I'm not bashing anything, just stating the reality. I've spent extensive time in farm communities in both California and Thailand and there is little difference other than the amount paid. The workers here are forced to pay money to the immigration police, that is true, but they are rarely 'slaves' regardless of what some journalist with a pocket full of thousand baht notes says. They are exploited but they usually make money and are free to leave.

There is very little difference between here and southern California, which is my home, other than that the wages are a bit higher. There are probably millions of trafficked migrants in SoCal, who are forced to pay money to traffickers and are being exploited and underpaid.

There is a huge difference. Those guys in your picture? They're doing exactly what they expected to do when they hired on. They'll go back home when the season is over, and they'll WILLINGLY be back next year doing it again.

Would you do it? No. Would I do it? No. But they do it very willingly because it's still better than they could do back home.

If you want to point an accusing figure at anyone, how about the government in their home countries? In spite of having all the advantages of geography, natural resources and history that the USA (and Canada) has, their governments have parlayed all those riches into a society where working in squalor as a migrant across the border- is still a better life than they have back home.

And the same can be said much closer to home.

Edited by impulse

367436_US-immigrants.jpg

I lived in AZ, so I'm well aware of the migrant workers and their situations, but you are still missing the point. The reason for the downgrade wasn't for "migrant workers", but for the open, and blatant use of "slave" labor, where people are bought, sold and killed at will. THAT'S the point, not willing migrant laborers.

• Like 1