ISIS knocking on Baghdad's door

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An inflammatory post has been edited. Let's treat others in a civil manner. The point is that there appears to be a call for overseas persons to join the jihad and there is a suspicion that they will be trained to create havoc in their home or adopted western country.

How many? What are their circumstances? We will probably not know for sure. Whatever information is released will be anecdotal. I doubt that anyone will be able to definitively give a number and if they come up with one, it's going to be hard to determine if they were an asylum seeker or if they were the child (family member) of an asylum seeker.

I have seen people interviewed (or shown) from the US, UK and Australia. The one from the US was identified and has since been killed. Of those who spoke it was a pretty mixed group as far as accents were concerned.

Getting messier...

Syrian warplanes strike in Iraq, killing 57 civilians, official says

Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) -- At least 57 Iraqi civilians were killed and more than 120 others were wounded by what local officials say were Syrian warplanes that struck several parts of Anbar province Tuesday.

Sabah Karkhout, the head of Iraq's Anbar provincial council, told CNN that the attacks struck markets and fuel stations in areas such as Rutba, al-Walid and Qaim.

"Unfortunately, (the) Syrian regime carried out barbarian attacks against civilians in Anbar province," he said Wednesday. "Today we will hold an emergency meeting in Ramadi to address this issue."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/25/world/meast/iraq-crisis/

And Al-Maliki still finds time to fight with non-ISIS Sunnis. Unbelievable.

Edited by Morch

What took the Western powers almost a decade in 2 wars and who knows how many lives lost and money spent and lost will now fall into the hands of a bunch of religious idiots in a few weeks time.

GET THE F____ out!! and let the religious idiots destroy themselves without our help as they would anyway with their crude sticks, stones and not our weapons of war that we left behind.

Wow, we really spread 'stability' every where we go..............

An inflammatory post has been edited. Let's treat others in a civil manner. The point is that there appears to be a call for overseas persons to join the jihad and there is a suspicion that they will be trained to create havoc in their home or adopted western country.

How many? What are their circumstances? We will probably not know for sure. Whatever information is released will be anecdotal. I doubt that anyone will be able to definitively give a number and if they come up with one, it's going to be hard to determine if they were an asylum seeker or if they were the child (family member) of an asylum seeker.

I have seen people interviewed (or shown) from the US, UK and Australia. The one from the US was identified and has since been killed. Of those who spoke it was a pretty mixed group as far as accents were concerned.

Whilst one Australian citizen joining ISIS is one too many, in today's 'Australian', national newspaper, quoting security agency sources, now says max ten Oz citizens fighting alongside ISIS forces. Also says approx 20 Oz Islamic extremists have returned from overseas, but no mention of arrest/detention

Iraqi military has launch a large counter-attack in an effort to retake Tikrit. Conducting an airborne assault into a University and a large bombardment of the city itself.

Iraqi military has launch a large counter-attack in an effort to retake Tikrit. Conducting an airborne assault into a University and a large bombardment of the city itself.

Not sure how well that's working out for them, seems like they lost at least one chopper by now...

Iraq helicopter crashes in airborne commando assault on Tikrit (Reuters) - Iraqi forces launched an airborne assault on rebel-held Tikrit on Thursday with commandos flown into a stadium in helicopters, at least one of which crashed after taking fire from insurgents who have seized northern cities.

Witnesses said battles were raging in the city, hometown of former dictator Saddam Hussein, which fell to Sunni Islamist fighters two weeks ago on the third day of a lightning offensive that has given them control of most majority Sunni regions.

The helicopters were shot at as they flew low over the city and landed in a stadium at the city's university, a security source at the scene said. Government spokesmen did not respond to requests for comment and by evening the assault was still not being reported on state media.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/26/uk-iraq-security-idUKKBN0F00RT20140626

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

Iraqi government claims some success in getting Tikrit back under their control (other reports suggest this isn't quite as final as that):

Iraq crisis: Iraqi forces say Tikrit regained from ISIS militants

Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi security forces retook the city of Tikrit on Saturday, a local tribal leader and state media said, as they went on the offensive against the Sunni extremist militants who have seized swaths of northern and western Iraq.

Sheikh Khamis al-Joubouri, a key tribal leader in Tikrit, told CNN that the Iraqi security forces entered the city supported by special forces and fighters from among the local tribes, and had gained control.

He said that fighters from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) retreated in the direction of Kirkuk and Nineveh provinces.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/28/world/meast/iraq-crisis/index.html

In the meantime, Maliki turns to Russia for urgent supply of fighter jets:

Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki: Russian jets will turn tide

Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has told the BBC that he hopes jets from Russia and Belarus will turn the tide against rebels in the coming days.

"God willing within one week this force will be effective and will destroy the terrorists' dens," he said.

He said that the process of buying US jets had been "long-winded" and that the militants' advance could have been avoided if air cover had been in place.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28042302

Edited by Morch

It would seem the Russians are back in Iraq in full force yet again. As some of you may recall, Russia was previously the largest supplier of Saddam's weapons.

Guess this means Maliki doesn't need those F-16's after all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First batch of Russian jets arrives in Iraq

Published time: June 29, 2014 00:25

The first ten Russian Sukhoi (Su-24) fighter jets arrived in Iraq on Saturday, the country’s Defense Ministry said. Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is hoping the jets will make a key difference in the fight against ISIS.

“The fighter jets landed today in the morning on different military airfields,” MP Abbas al-Bayati told Iraqi media.

The official spokesperson for the Iraqi Ministry of Defense, Mohammed al-Askari, also confirmed the information, Al Iraqiya TV channel reported.

The fighter jets will be stationed at an airbase located in the southern part of the country, PressTV reported, citing military sources.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Maliki revealed that Iraq purchased jets from Russia and Belarus in order to help its fight against Sunni militants from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS/ISIL).

It's a Russian news source so it has to be true: http://rt.com/news/169144-iraq-russian-jets-arrive/

Edited by chuckd

This isn't exactly about the push to Baghdad, but it related:

Unprecedented Kurdish peshmerga deployment in Iraq

Arbil (Iraq) (AFP) - The onslaught by Sunni Arab militants in northern Iraq has prompted the country's Kurds to deploy the famed peshmerga security forces in defence of their autonomous region.

The move affects both young and old, with regional President Massud Barzani even calling on retired fighters to volunteer to take up arms again.

At a peshmerga base outside Arbil, the capital of the three-province Kurdistan region, training has a new urgency.

http://news.yahoo.com/unprecedented-kurdish-peshmerga-deployment-iraq-074030632.html

Many years ago, probably over 35, I was standing on the street outside my hotel in Kermanshah, Iran, awaiting my transport to work when the traffic suddenly, and seemingly without reason, became silent and had stopped. The silence got my attention.

I noticed cars were slowly vacating the middle stripe between opposing lanes of traffic to leave the center of the road clear and unobstructed.

At that time I observed a rather tall man riding a rather small horse at a walking gait down the middle of the street in the vacated lane. He carried an automatic weapon and was looking neither right nor left.

I watched until he rode through town, then turned to a hotel employee standing nearby and asked what that was all about.

He told me that was the local Kurdish leader and NOBODY showed him any disrespect.

He certainly made an impression on me.

• Like 2

When the war in Iraq was winding down, the new government began to insist that the allies leave. Leave earlier than they had planned. They wouldn't even agree to a contingent of advisors, or training, or anything. Leave.

So the allies all left as requested. Now they are desperate to get the US back to attack ISIS.

No, solly, we have no interest there any more. We don't even need their oil, or any oil from the Middle East. In total those savage countries supply the US with less than 5% of its imported oil.

If oil is really the concern, let countries who depend big time on that oil take a turn at keeping the shipping lanes open and the terrorists in check. In rotation that could be China, the EU, and India.

No, no, no, no. It is always US's fault. If Putin had been in Iraq, he would have just remained in control of the oil and diverted most of it to mother Russia. US is too dang PC. We should have done the same thing as everyone accuses of doing it for the oil already.

• Like 1

The ISIL jihadists whose sweeping Sunni militant offensive has captured swathes of Iraq have declared an "Islamic caliphate" in their territory as Iraqi forces battle to retake Saddam Hussein's hometown Tikrit giggle.gif

Doubt if the Caliph, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, will have a long life or indeed a Caliphate that will last for very long

giggle.gif

What is humorous about an "Islamic Caliphate"? blink.png

I think it is "humorous" that they have the audacity to declare such a state at this stage when their strategic position is anything but secure.

I do however understand that you would have some personal concerns if such a state were to be created because of whatever affiliation you have with Israel . Maybe you should tell that to your elected government every time they try changing the status quo in the Middle East. This situation is a direct result of the US's actions in ousting Saddam Hussein and their support of rebels trying to oust Assad. When will the US learn ??? They are always looking only one step ahead and never see the consequences of their actions. For every action there is a reaction. And that is what we are seeing now with the uprising of ASIS/ISIS in Syria and Iraq. It is the reaction from US action. wink.png

• Like 1

giggle.gif

Personally I think its a great idea, all those demanding Sharia law in Britain and elsewhere now have what they have always dreamed of.

Wonder how many will be flocking over to take advantage of welfare benefits, free housing, schooling and health care.

Perhaps the RAF could offer free one way flights, could even make a swift detour via Mecca for the faithful to perform their religious obligations.

Bring it on, the Saudis must be shitting themselves.

The ISIL jihadists whose sweeping Sunni militant offensive has captured swathes of Iraq have declared an "Islamic caliphate" in their territory as Iraqi forces battle to retake Saddam Hussein's hometown Tikrit giggle.gif

Doubt if the Caliph, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, will have a long life or indeed a Caliphate that will last for very long

Let's hope he is captured, AGAIN. Or better still. Killed. Unfortunately there are just too many madmen that would line up to take his place.

<Sunni fanatics are determined to ignite a sectarian war in Iraq.>

ISIL might be wanting that, but the Sunni tribesmen fighting with them just want a homeland where they can live free of &lt;deleted&gt; oppression.

It's way past time for the "world" to agree that Iraq is no more and will be split into 3. Iranian controlled south, Kurdish north and saudi controlled west. It was obvious to me years ago, but I guess the politicians had to play the game as long as possible.

The arms dealers are happy, as usual.

I bet the US is making a heap of money selling arms to Maliki.

ISIL might be wanting that, but the Sunni tribesmen fighting with them just want a homeland where they can live free of <deleted> oppression.

It's way past time for the "world" to agree that Iraq is no more and will be split into 3. Iranian controlled south, Kurdish north and saudi controlled west. It was obvious to me years ago, but I guess the politicians had to play the game as long as possible.

I bet the US is making a heap of money selling arms to Maliki."

Not very likely...but the Russians seem to be doing very well.

http://rt.com/news/169144-iraq-russian-jets-arrive/

Edited by chuckd
  • Like 2

giggle.gif

Personally I think its a great idea, all those demanding Sharia law in Britain and elsewhere now have what they have always dreamed of.

Wonder how many will be flocking over to take advantage of welfare benefits, free housing, schooling and health care.

Perhaps the RAF could offer free one way flights, could even make a swift detour via Mecca for the faithful to perform their religious obligations.

Bring it on, the Saudis must be shitting themselves.

Yes. The only ones that would flood back to such a place have already done so to fight for it. And that aint' that many when compared to the number of blood suckers living in western countries enforcing their beliefs upon the natives and making them eat halal. bah.gif

giggle.gif

I think it is "humorous" that they have the audacity to declare such a state at this stage when their strategic position is anything but secure.

I do however understand that you would have some personal concerns if such a state were to be created because of whatever affiliation you have with Israel .

No affiliations beyond thinking that they are the good guys in the area and our only true allies.

My concerns with an Islamic Caliphate are more as a staging ground for International terrorism and the way that they will treat the unfortunate people who live in the area that they control.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I do however understand that you would have some personal concerns if such a state were to be created because of whatever affiliation you have with Israel .

No affiliations beyond thinking that they are the good guys in the area and our only true allies.

My concerns with an Islamic Caliphate are more as a staging ground for International terrorism and the way that they will treat the unfortunate people who live in the area that they control.

The fact of the matter is that if they weren't mistakenly put there in the first place you wouldn't need allies in the region.

As for the "unfortunate people " you mentioned. Now is the time for them to ensure they don't live in an Waziristan styled region. Before it become to difficult and too late.

The fact of the matter is that if they weren't mistakenly put there in the first place you wouldn't need allies in the region.

Bullpucky. How can you forget all that indispensable oil that everyone is always accusing us of starting wars over? We would need allies, whether they were there, or not, but at least we have one ally that shares our values.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Bullpucky. How can you forget all that indispensable oil that everyone is always accusing us of starting wars over? We would need allies, whether they were there, or not, but at least we have one ally that shares our values.

I think it's obvious said ally complicates things for the USA, while not necessarily contributing much on the oil side.

Fair enough, but that's perhaps spilled milk. Also true that other parties in the area would have clashed amongst

themselves regardless - some due to bogus lines on maps, some due to religious and ethnic differences. Of course,

other super powers would have meddled anyway - the area was just not destined to be peaceful, not with its location

and natural resources.

As for the new caliphate, a bit early to tell, but I'll venture a guess that it won't last that long (in historical terms, not as

in next month). Too many powerful neighbors, and don't think everyone is really buying into it.

ISIL might be wanting that, but the Sunni tribesmen fighting with them just want a homeland where they can live free of <deleted> oppression.

I know, I thought the same when reading dude's comments. Some are so irrational, delusional and blinded by resentment that they will say or believe anything as long as it has an anti-US angle.

• Like 1

I know, I thought the same when reading dude's comments. Some are so irrational, delusional and blinded by resentment that they will say or believe anything as long as it has an anti-US angle.

I'm not particularly anti US, but if the Bush administration hadn't lied about WMDs to take us into a war which had NOTHING to do with 9/11 this mess wouldn't be happening now.

BTW, the guns those guys are waving around on the tv news, and the vehicles they are driving were made in the USA.

I'm not particularly anti US, but if the Bush administration hadn't lied about WMDs to take us into a war which had NOTHING to do with 9/11 this mess wouldn't be happening now.

BTW, the guns those guys are waving around on the tv news, and the vehicles they are driving were made in the USA.

In all probability, Iraq would have gone to the dogs five minutes after Saddam's demise. It was held together by ruthlessness.

Even before that, Saddam was hardly a stabilizing factor as far as the region went, so not far fetched to envisage different

developments which would have lead to a similar if not identical mess.

It can be said, though, that a lot USA (and allied) lives could have been saved, and that a lot of Western (or rather, Chinese)

money went down the drain for nothing.

Some of the vehicles and arms toted were captured not so long ago from the USA supported and trained Iraqi army. Not clear

how this is very relevant.

• Like 1