17 yr old Western girl house guest

junglechef

I'm having a 17 yr old girl who is between high school and university come from CA to stay with us for the month of August. Looking for ideas and advice as I was never a teenage girl myself.

I believe she is quite proactive as she has already taken 2 yrs of Chinese language courses and a year of Japanese at a local college. Obviously has an interest in Asia as well as art which she teaches children on the weekends. That being said she has never traveled or had any real world worldly experiences.

There are a few local orphanages near me that I imagine would welcome her for English tutoring and doing art with the kids there. I plan on taking her not only to the regular must see sights but also to some out of town and a few overnight trips to the wilderness any maybe other places of interest.

What I am looking for and would appreciate any ideas of things that as a father of 3 young boys might not have thought of.

Also if anyone has or knows or knows where to find other kids her age, perhaps girls might be more fun for her, and especially any Thai's kids who speak English, for her to meet I think that would be a great opportunity for her too.

Thanks, JC

Edited by junglechef

If she's friendly and outgoing, then just walking around the campus of CMU would be a good idea for meeting the nicest young people in Chiang Mai.

Good idea! Meeting with others in the neighbourhood, organised by the wife, might be the best idea as young Thai women generally have their act together and huge networks to boot! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Unfortunately we live out in the farm lands where there are not many ppl esp kids who would speak any English. As for young Thai men that's not what I have in mind, she's my responsibilty and isn't going to be in any situation where hopping on the back of a motorbike with a boy is an option! CMU might be worth a try if she seems outgoing enough to give it a try, will have to see as I don't know her. Anyone with a teenage daughter here can tell me what thier kid does socially?

Unfortunately we live out in the farm lands where there are not many ppl esp kids who would speak any English. As for young Thai men that's not what I have in mind, she's my responsibilty and isn't going to be in any situation where hopping on the back of a motorbike with a boy is an option! CMU might be worth a try if she seems outgoing enough to give it a try, will have to see as I don't know her. Anyone with a teenage daughter here can tell me what thier kid does socially?

My wife and I raised two daughters here.

They were brought up in a traditional manner, while at the same time being educated for careers in the modern world.

They both turned out well; and probably for reasons that have more to do with nature rather than nurture.

Nevertheless, I give a lot of credit to my wife, her deeply-rooted Chiang Mai family, and their circle of friends.

Encourage your young guest to have fun and enjoy what the modern city and countryside has to offer, but also to learn about the history and culture of the Kohn Muang. It goes back a long time and has some valuable lessons for all of us.

Set up a Badminton Court, great game to play, can do it in your own yard, Thai girls love it, and you don't need to communicate.

Don't get me started on Orphanage Tourism. Besides needing a WP to volunteer; say an American from NY visits Florida....Do they hunt down poor kids and take lots of pictures? Then WT# do they think it is necessary to do it when they go to a country that is less developed than theirs? As has been proven in Cambodia; orphanage tourism is encouraging people to make orphans, similar to these global adoption rackets.

junglechef,

Here are a few ideas that may work for her.

You noted "I believe she is quite proactive as she has already taken 2 yrs of Chinese language courses and a year of Japanese at a local college. Obviously has an interest in Asia as well as art which she teaches children on the weekends"

Since she likes languages, she might be interested in the YMCA's class called Thai Daily Life which is a very quick and basic Thai course dealing with things like shopping, restaurants, directions, etc. They have one that runs Aug. 14 - 28, Tuesday and Thursday, either 10:00 a.m. to noon or 1:00 p.m. to 3:.m. for 10 classes. Cost is 1,900 baht.

Highly recommend the Chiang Mai City Arts & Cultural Center located right behind the Three Kings Monument. Would give her a nice overview of the cultural history of the area.

Because food is such a large part of Thai culture, I would recommend that she do at least a good, one-day (or more) cooking class. There are a number of them here in CM. (My favorite is still in Nonthaburi though)

If she is interested, Big Boy Travel has a good walking tour itinerary posted on its website (http://www.bigboytravel.com/asia/thailand/chiangmai/freewalkingtour) that covers most of the major temples in the Old City. Just print it off and put on some good walking shoes.

I'm sure there are more but these where what came to mind.

David

• Like 2

Badmitton is not only a good idea but a given as we play often at our home. But why I'm posting again is not only to thanks Gerericnic for his ideas (actually the class might be good thing for us to do together) but to comment on the obstacles that have been suggested for why not to help some kids, teaching them some English etc. I don't think is really valid. Not that I want this thread to divert into another TV off-topic you-know-what but I know a few homes where they have hill tribe kids staying which I often bring food to and they would love to have someone like her come over (I asked today when I was there). These are just local people helping less fortunate children by giving them a roof and feeding them in a location that school is an option (and perhaps far away from an abusive home life) and neighbors like me just help out with the kids expenses. I am informed about orphanage scams but that's not what I'm suggesting. No tourism, freak shows or profit center here. Just as I wouldn't really think anyone one would seriously suggest I need to obtain a work permit to go next door and help my old neighbor to fix a flat tire I don't think the kind of thing I suggesting one would be really be called for either.

junglechef,

Here are a few ideas that may work for her.

You noted "I believe she is quite proactive as she has already taken 2 yrs of Chinese language courses and a year of Japanese at a local college. Obviously has an interest in Asia as well as art which she teaches children on the weekends"

Since she likes languages, she might be interested in the YMCA's class called Thai Daily Life which is a very quick and basic Thai course dealing with things like shopping, restaurants, directions, etc. They have one that runs Aug. 14 - 28, Tuesday and Thursday, either 10:00 a.m. to noon or 1:00 p.m. to 3:.m. for 10 classes. Cost is 1,900 baht.

Highly recommend the Chiang Mai City Arts & Cultural Center located right behind the Three Kings Monument. Would give her a nice overview of the cultural history of the area.

Because food is such a large part of Thai culture, I would recommend that she do at least a good, one-day (or more) cooking class. There are a number of them here in CM. (My favorite is still in Nonthaburi though)

If she is interested, Big Boy Travel has a good walking tour itinerary posted on its website (http://www.bigboytravel.com/asia/thailand/chiangmai/freewalkingtour) that covers most of the major temples in the Old City. Just print it off and put on some good walking shoes.

I'm sure there are more but these where what came to mind.

David

Well for the walking tour in the old city you could make it really different by taking her on the Segway tour. It has been said it only takes about a 10 minute lesson and away they go to see the sights in the old city.

I don't know the price but I think it is expensive. A once in a life time experience. They are connected with the flight of the Gibbon people an Australian company. To the best of my memory a very safe operation.

Edited by northernjohn

I would rate the level of stupidity of the Segway people at Thapae Gate as somewhere in between the guy, who practices with nunchucks while on his skateboard, and the members of certain nationality, who are more excited by the pigeons than the giant pandas.

Thanks for the suggestions. As she won't have much money too many of theses espensive options are probably not an option as I have a few kids myself whom will also want to join in the fun. We family mt bike ride which is a great way to see the "real" Thailand as she can ride a Segway, which looks dangerous on the small streets of the old city anyway, back at home. I usually photo copy the walking temple tour out of my Lonley Planet for visitors and they love roaming around at thier own pace. Too bad it's only us old farts who read TV as one of her peers I realize is whom I need more advise from.