Thai Customs to auction seized luxury cars on July 3

webfact

Why would you buy a car, then smuggle it into the country, deliberately get caught just so you could buy it back again, so you end up paying twice for a car??? how much profit/loss were they planning to make???

<snip>

post-35489-0-18887200-1403261121.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stop taxing imported cars. Even a humble Golf GTI is exactly twice the UK price, I would love to buy one but have to settle for a 'protected' make i.e. Toyota and the like. Who can blame these guys for smuggling? Same story with wine. Why tax such a healthy and beautiful drink so highly?

Given the current time, i would suggest there will be very few bidders at all for the cars, when any purchaser's funds are likely to come under scrutiny.

You are living in a dream world.

If the Junta wanted to scrutinze all those with a lot of cash, they just need to order the banks to give them the details of every person in Thailand with more than say 200 million baht in their accounts.

You are just sniping at the junta mate.

Stop jumping to conclusions and getting all defensive, is someone in the Junta your BF or something.

Just read the post at face value, why would anyone at the current time, with clean or non clean cash, be they junta, politician, businessman etc etc think now is a good time to be flashing their wealth.

http://www.union-auction.com/th/auction/auction_list_customs.aspx?id=3502

This is the list of cars to be auctioned. A lot of Bently's going up for auction.

C13 is a Bentley 1997 that appears part dismantled with a starting bid of 2080000Baht. At best spare parts, starting price sounds high? But they are only suggested starting bids.

A lot of cars comming onto market? Do they have to be exported? Do you have to pay tax on these cars?

Service history, build plates , mileage are important when buying some of these cars.

Who gets the brown paper bag?

Presents for the junta big boss man, throw a few flowers in too

Stupid and unjustified comment. Should have been removed by the monitors, unless he has proof. More sour grapes.

If proof was necessary for every comment made, there would be little posting.

Naive or not there, there are a majority of very good people in every sector of Thai society.

Why do we have to focus on the bad tainted minority rather we by our action should encourage the good!

Absolutely agree, but the statement is not about good people and bad people. Unfortunately corruption is so embedded in everyday life here that even the good people sometimes have no choice but to succumb to get something done.

totster smile.png

• Like 2

Posted on his Facebook page, Thirachai recalled that in the past unscrupulous car dealers would smuggle luxury cars into the country with intent to have them seized by the customs officials so that they would get them back through the legal auctions at low prices.

Sorry If I'm being stupid, but that sounds like a terrible idea. Whether they bought these cars and then smuggled them in with the intention of being caught, or they were stolen and then smuggled in to be bought cheaply doesn't sound great. What if the cars are not sold cheaply? What if someone pays a million baht less than the value from a showroom.

It seems like a lot of time, work and money on the off chance you can buy them back cheaply.

Because of this....

"He told people who wanted to bid not to worry about the legal consequences as all vehicles have already been legalised and protected by civil laws."

Folks bring in un-plated expensive motorcycles all the time.But they are worth almost nothing because at any moment they could be siezed

as you ride an unregistered vehicle.

Same goes for these cars

They could not legally import them. As the tax is crazy & based on value + VAT

But they can send them in even call customs themselves & tip them off of the delivery

Have them confiscated & legally registered

Then buy them back. They are now worth more than double an unregistered vehicle here.

There are not so many so well pocketed to bid millions for each of the high end cars

But a well organized gang probably would have no problem doing so.

Most of the vehicles (107 units) are Toyota. The bulk also contains 33 Mercedes Benz, 12 BMW, 6 Jaguar and 2 Ferrari. A black automatic Ferrari F430 is attached with the highest start price, at Bt5.15 million.

The auction will start at 10am at the department's office in Khlong Toei.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2011/06/24/business/Customs-to-auction-216-vehicles-30158631.html

ECU/ Brain off a car can be bought from factory or dealer , as long as you know the VIN number.. and that number is many places on this cars, and can provide ownership off the car

Most of the vehicles (107 units) are Toyota. The bulk also contains 33 Mercedes Benz, 12 BMW, 6 Jaguar and 2 Ferrari. A black automatic Ferrari F430 is attached with the highest start price, at Bt5.15 million.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2011/06/24/business/Customs-to-auction-216-vehicles-30158631.html

do you or someone have the Exact model list of the cars and year ?

Posted on his Facebook page, Thirachai recalled that in the past unscrupulous car dealers would smuggle luxury cars into the country with intent to have them seized by the customs officials so that they would get them back through the legal auctions at low prices.

Sorry If I'm being stupid, but that sounds like a terrible idea. Whether they bought these cars and then smuggled them in with the intention of being caught, or they were stolen and then smuggled in to be bought cheaply doesn't sound great. What if the cars are not sold cheaply? What if someone pays a million baht less than the value from a showroom.

It seems like a lot of time, work and money on the off chance you can buy them back cheaply.

If you have ever been to a car auction in the western world you would not say so.

io have been to many and you usually find that there are about 5-6 main bidders for the good cars, The thing about them is that they all work for the some people.

The only way that you get rid of these is to have all bidders register prior to an auction and set high minimum bids on cars.

Barret Jackson does he minimum and only sells cars that are in running order. That way there is no chance of getting cars that have issues. They also do a scrutiny of all bidders to make sure of where they come from and more importantly where the money is coming from.

The bet thing to do is have a dealers only auction. this gives you the ability to know exactly who is bidding and if there are any hic cups they can lose their license.

Let's face it F1 cars I am sure could resell most of these and make money. Getting computers is not that difficult. Costly but not difficult.

So bad i dont have free money now for this, i would have gone and get some of those, with go pro camera on, to video the guys that dont want me to bid on their car.. Probaly would need armed excorte this car after paid and truck it away from there

Thirachai recalled that in the past unscrupulous car dealers would smuggle luxury cars into the country with intent to have them seized by the customs officials so that they would get them back through the legal auctions at low prices.

I've never imported a car in Thailand but I know this was going on that this was common practice as I know someone imported a Jaguar XJ220 that way, and that is 20 years ago.

So why are Thirachai and me the only ones who have knowledge of something that is going on for decades ?

There is only one logical solution. Destroy the vehicles, and along with that destroy the greed and any potential for corrupt continuation.

Unfortunately, for even the guys at the top, they cannot see past their noses for what comprises assets that are bent and cause envy and continued corruption.

They believe there is a need to make at least some profit from destructive societal artifacts which lead to the continuation of moral destruction.

Until the day such recognition arises here, so shall the misunderstanding of what is of value and what is not.

• Like 2

"former finance minister Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala" seems to know a little too much about how to make money from having these computer-less cars seized, bought back at auction, refitted and sold at a huge profit.

I suppose he could be just very good at his job.

Or he could just know what every other wealthy Thai knows about this "business". It isn't exactly rocket science, is it?

If a police general described the typical way that a burglar jimmies a lock, would you suspect him of breaking into houses himself, or being complicit in such break-ins?

Edited by Globeman

Why would you buy a car, then smuggle it into the country, deliberately get caught just so you could buy it back again, so you end up paying twice for a car??? how much profit/loss were they planning to make???

I would like to start the bid at 25 satung, for the $600,000.00 Lamborghini coffee1.gif

Because with this level of car, Thai taxes triple the price. A $300,000 Ferrari goes for a million bucks in the Cavallino showroom. So they buy them for the original price, they get 'caught' (but the delivery address of the car is bogus), and then the cars get auctioned - fully licensed, but with the 70% import tax never having been paid. Doubtless, the bidding is rigged - even if it is a case of bidders keeping the prices down (or being warned off if they are bidding too high).They may pay another $300,000 for the car, but have still saved $400,000 ...

Stop taxing imported cars. Even a humble Golf GTI is exactly twice the UK price, I would love to buy one but have to settle for a 'protected' make i.e. Toyota and the like. Who can blame these guys for smuggling? Same story with wine. Why tax such a healthy and beautiful drink so highly?

Stop the tax? Excellent, so BMW, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford and the rest can all repatriate their factories from Thailand that they spent a fortune building for the express purpose of coming in under the tax radar?

Good idea.

Thailand should stop charging so much tax on luxury cars than they would have allot less headache in this sector.

But most of the supercar buyers don't use this method to buy their cars... So it is one of the few serious taxes the rich actually pay.

• Like 1

Maybe they could check to see if all the cars are complete and functioning before the auction !!!

Most auctions are "as is". Not sure what the verbiage reads. However, you shouldn't buy, sign unless you are ok with the terms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Furthermore, he suggested that winer of the auction must pay special taxes based on factory price list and not auction price.

Regardless of having "superman" Prayuth reforming their little world, these buggers are still making it up as they go along.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for finding and posting this detail.

There is a good chance to nab this red bull killer, fugitive kid, maybe he will attend the

auction to pick up a bargain seeing all those fellalees there.....

He probably has a nice new one in Singapore or where ever he is whistling.gif