Charupong quits as Pheu Thai leader

Lite Beer

PHEU THAI PARTY
Charupong quits as Pheu Thai leader
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Charupong Ruangsuwan has resigned as leader of the Pheu Thai Party, with effect from May 22 - the day the Pheu Thai-led government was ousted in a military coup.

The party received Charupong's resignation letter last Monday and informed the Political Party Registrar of his decision to step down the following day, Pheu Thai's caretaker deputy secretary-general Chavalit Vichayasuthi said.

Charupong has been on the run, refusing to respond to a summons issued by the junta.

Chavalit said that with the party leader's resignation, other executives of the party now stood to lose their position automatically.

He went on to say that Pheu Thai had not been able to hold a general meeting to elect a new executive board as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) had issued an order on June 7 banning all activities by political parties.

Deputy party leaders Viroj Pao-in and Plodprasop Suraswadi will now take over as acting co-leaders in accordance with an earlier resolution made by the board in the event a party leader quits, Chavalit said.

He went on to say that leading Pheu Thai figures, namely Viroj, secretary-general Phumtham Vechayachai, and legal expert Chusak Sirinil, met with the NCPO working group at Defence Ministry yesterday to discuss national reforms.

Chavalit said the discussion went "very well", adding that the party was even given the chance to offer some advice. He said Pheu Thai was ready to cooperate on efforts for national reconciliation and unity.

At the meeting, Pheu Thai members suggested that a democratic Constitution be reinstated, a reform council comprising experts from different fields be set up and that the public be allowed to help solve the country's problem, including corruption, Chavalit said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-21

• Like 2

so long as dinosaurs like Chevalit, who along with the desert prince are poster boys for corruption, nepotism and all that is wrong with the present political mess, remain active, it's hard to see any real improvement. Speaking of Chevalit, wasn't the blue diamond affair back in the news again recently? Readers of Thai dailies in the 90's might remember a picture of Chevalit's wife wearing some interesting jewellery. Sad the way the affair has been twisted by insinsere politicos to finger those that can't defend themselves.

• Like 2

I remember reading that once the army made the coup that all politcal parties were disbanded and no longer valid. So for the leader to quit is irrelevant since there has not been a PTP since the coup. What surprises me was that the army has failed to capture Chevalit yet.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Rumours of Sanoh pulling his faction out of PT and moving over to a new party that's about to be formed. Also a lot of PT pollies have been forced to return to their old professions to earn a crust (not all had their snouts in the trough) - so I wonder if they will be like the first pollies (from TRT) to be banned for 5 years, many of whom decided not to return to politics when the ban ended. That would further weaken PT.

• Like 1

"Pheu Thai members suggested......... solve the country's problem, including corruption,"

Problem, singular not plural?

Perhaps a typo, or perhaps more obfuscation; trying to make out that it is simply a matter of electoral reform and a little bit of corruption.

Another rat jumps ship.....

I think he knows that PTP is on the verge of being dissolved anyway. Just like TRT and PPP..... Thaksin just can't keep a puppet party rooted for more than a few years at a time.

Once this interim government are in place in September and the senate are sitting again, I would imagine that a certain 308 banning orders will be issued and a dissolution order forthcoming.

Wonder how the senate will look after this... when the senate was dissolved, does that mean all senators are now released from their seats?..... If yes, then it may need new senate elections and appointees.

Even with an interim government, there still needs to be an upper house.

At the meeting, Pheu Thai members suggested that a democratic Constitution be reinstated, a reform council comprising experts from different fields be set up and that the public be allowed to help solve the country's problem, including corruption, Chavalit said.

Great! They are all gonna resign and leave politics forever . . . corruption problem solved clap2.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Pheu Thai members suggested......... solve the country's problem, including corruption,"

Perhaps a typo, or perhaps more obfuscation; trying to make out that it is simply a matter of electoral reform and a little bit of corruption.

they still don't get it do they

after repeatedly causing this absolute debacle in the first place they now have the cheek to offer solutions to Prayuth and the Thai people (deleted) (deleted)

They just don't seem to realise that they are the actual problem and I find that disturbing - another reason to ban the lot of them for life - pending convictions for all wrong doings

The actual problem are the key words.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Life bans are the only way to quickly rid Thai Politics of the dinosaurs from both sides. The 5 year type clearly didn't work!

It certainly didn't they just returned back as members , the Rottweiler is a prime example.

"The party received Charupong's resignation letter last Monday (16th of June). Resignation effective 22nd of May."

I guess the party didn't really miss their party 'leader' or notice he was AWOL for three weeks, what with the real one skyping in from abroad?

• Like 2

so long as dinosaurs like Chevalit, who along with the desert prince are poster boys for corruption, nepotism and all that is wrong with the present political mess, remain active, it's hard to see any real improvement. Speaking of Chevalit, wasn't the blue diamond affair back in the news again recently? Readers of Thai dailies in the 90's might remember a picture of Chevalit's wife wearing some interesting jewellery. Sad the way the affair has been twisted by insinsere politicos to finger those that can't defend themselves.

You realize that the one you're talking about is Chavalit Yongchaiyudh who is a different person from Pheu Thai's caretaker deputy secretary-general Chavalit Vichayasuthi

• Like 1

"At the meeting, Pheu Thai members suggested that a democratic Constitution be reinstated, a reform council comprising experts from different fields be set up and that the public be allowed to help solve the country's problem, including corruption, Chavalit said."

Erm, isn't that close to what suthep was banging on about?

• Like 2

after repeatedly causing this absolute debacle in the first place they now have the cheek to offer solutions to Prayuth and the Thai people (deleted) (deleted)

They just don't seem to realise that they are the actual problem and I find that disturbing - another reason to ban the lot of them for life - pending convictions for all wrong doings

"They just don't seem to realise that they are the actual problem"

Really? So Thaksin invented the Golden Triangle opium dealers, human trafficking, and sundry other forms of corruption... Really?

You give him too much credit.

His greatest mistake, I believe, was in using democracy to fight the aristocracy. It set the whole country at each other's throats, and the clock cannot be turned back, no matter how many free movie tickets are given away. The game has changed, and both teams are unwilling to acknowledge that because the game is still a game that has no referees.

Now there is no rice-pledging scheme, there is a per-rai subsidy to offset costs. Now there is no vote buying, because there are no votes, but in buying people I have to wonder: what about Prince Narusean movie tickets (no one mentions how much THAT cost -- the entertainment people are not going to walk away from money), Now there is tranquility progress. Now we have free water and concerts for illegal Cambodians -- simply because they are really cheap labor -- no permits, paperwork or taxes...simple.

Both sides are using the exact same strategies to manipulate people for the exact same reasons. It is the same in Europe and America. The same kinds of failures, the same kinds of deadlocks. The Thai version of a power struggle is no more evil, nor less evil than all the other power struggles going on in the world.

I think what really pisses off the Western world is that Thailand can be bought -- but only by Thais.

This is a matter of great joy to me. The Great Man said "Thailand is for Thais".

General Prayuth O-cha and the reviled ex PM Mr Thaksin: screw the foreign critics. Play their game, but do not let them in your house. Work with them, but never trust them. Talk to them, but remember their words are almost always lies in honest clothing. Be friendly to them, but do not offer your daughters. Keep your house clean, so your children are not sick.

This is my prayer for you.

Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

Thaksin's " greatest mistake, I believe, was in using democracy to fight the aristocracy." ??? You mean subverting/perverting democracy, don't you? Because paying for votes is, most definitely, a subversion, and/or perversion, of democracy.

• Like 1

"They just don't seem to realise that they are the actual problem"

Really? So Thaksin invented the Golden Triangle opium dealers, human trafficking, and sundry other forms of corruption... Really?

You give him too much credit.

His greatest mistake, I believe, was in using democracy to fight the aristocracy. It set the whole country at each other's throats, and the clock cannot be turned back, no matter how many free movie tickets are given away. The game has changed, and both teams are unwilling to acknowledge that because the game is still a game that has no referees.

Now there is no rice-pledging scheme, there is a per-rai subsidy to offset costs. Now there is no vote buying, because there are no votes, but in buying people I have to wonder: what about Prince Narusean movie tickets (no one mentions how much THAT cost -- the entertainment people are not going to walk away from money), Now there is tranquility progress. Now we have free water and concerts for illegal Cambodians -- simply because they are really cheap labor -- no permits, paperwork or taxes...simple.

Both sides are using the exact same strategies to manipulate people for the exact same reasons. It is the same in Europe and America. The same kinds of failures, the same kinds of deadlocks. The Thai version of a power struggle is no more evil, nor less evil than all the other power struggles going on in the world.

I think what really pisses off the Western world is that Thailand can be bought -- but only by Thais.

This is a matter of great joy to me. The Great Man said "Thailand is for Thais".

General Prayuth O-cha and the reviled ex PM Mr Thaksin: screw the foreign critics. Play their game, but do not let them in your house. Work with them, but never trust them. Talk to them, but remember their words are almost always lies in honest clothing. Be friendly to them, but do not offer your daughters. Keep your house clean, so your children are not sick.

This is my prayer for you.

Amazing Thailand.

I don't quite understand your point - in fact I'd go as far as saying your post is garbled rubbish

General Prayuth has stepped in and IMO probably not soon enough, I've never seen Thailand so stable since and I've lived here 10 years - PTP were not fit for purpose in so many ways it would take too long to list them - not one of them should be allowed back into politics ever again

• Like 2

iancnx, on 21 Jun 2014 - 07:23, said:

Life bans are the only way to quickly rid Thai Politics of the dinosaurs from both sides. The 5 year type clearly didn't work!

I suggest mandatory life bans and a mandatory minimum of 1 year in jail, maximum of 20 years in jail.

Edited by scorecard