distance awareness ,in Thailand how you handle it?

Sandman77

Distance awareness in the west is practice to strong

That people keep you on long distance!

, in Thailand is via versa!

I think there is no middle way of it!

No where in the world!

First distance awareness in Thailand !

Visiting Samui first time , chaweng ordered food!

Then the stuff see a pick in my face

Touch my face withouth asking and take it out!

I believe he is referring to personal space or bubble. Westerners do seem to prefer a bigger bubble or they feel their privacy is being invaded.

Personal space is the region surrounding a person which they regard as psychologically theirs. Most people value their personal space and feel discomfort, anger, or anxiety when their personal space is encroached.[1] Permitting a person to enter personal space and entering somebody else's personal space are indicators of perception of the relationship between the people. There is an intimate zone reserved for lovers, children and close family members. There is another zone used for conversations with friends, to chat with associates, and in group discussions; a further zone is reserved for strangers, newly formed groups, and new acquaintances; and a fourth zone is used for speeches, lectures, and theater; essentially, public distance is that range reserved for larger audiences.[2]

Entering somebody's personal space is normally an indication of familiarity and at times of intimacy. However, in modern society, especially in crowded urban communities, it is at times difficult to maintain personal space, for example, in a crowded train, elevator or street. Many people find such physical proximity to be psychologically disturbing and uncomfortable,[1] though it is accepted as a fact of modern life. In an impersonal crowded situation, eye contact tends to be avoided. Even in a crowded place, preserving personal space is important, and intimate and sexual contact, such as frotteurism and groping, are normally unacceptable physical contact.

I believe he is referring to personal space or bubble. Westerners do seem to prefer a bigger bubble or they feel their privacy is being invaded.

Personal space is the region surrounding a person which they regard as psychologically theirs. Most people value their personal space and feel discomfort, anger, or anxiety when their personal space is encroached.[1] Permitting a person to enter personal space and entering somebody else's personal space are indicators of perception of the relationship between the people. There is an intimate zone reserved for lovers, children and close family members. There is another zone used for conversations with friends, to chat with associates, and in group discussions; a further zone is reserved for strangers, newly formed groups, and new acquaintances; and a fourth zone is used for speeches, lectures, and theater; essentially, public distance is that range reserved for larger audiences.[2]

Entering somebody's personal space is normally an indication of familiarity and at times of intimacy. However, in modern society, especially in crowded urban communities, it is at times difficult to maintain personal space, for example, in a crowded train, elevator or street. Many people find such physical proximity to be psychologically disturbing and uncomfortable,[1] though it is accepted as a fact of modern life. In an impersonal crowded situation, eye contact tends to be avoided. Even in a crowded place, preserving personal space is important, and intimate and sexual contact, such as frotteurism and groping, are normally unacceptable physical contact.

Now.......that's the other end for me.

Too difficult to understand.

Have to drop, Sandmanese, and learn English.

Dams, I need extra sandmanese lessons. I thought I was making progress, and then this

I told you, I told you before and you said you are intermediate level.

Go back to school.

Looks like some of the mods are picking the language up. I reckon thaw is is getting free lessons from Walen

• Like 1

I do find depth perception and speed perception is very poor. As far as personal space is concerned you ain't seen nothing until you've been to China. 50 people trying to get into an elevator and they wonder why it won't move.

• Like 1

You mean that one , that speaks very loud and spit on the floor all the time..

Is it the extra weight of the spit that stops the elevator from moving..........................coffee1.gif

I understand, Sandman.

Last week I'm sitting at a restaurant. For the first time in years, I bought a pint of vodka and was quietly enjoying it on ice while waiting for food, when a middle-aged woman walks up, smiles at me, sits down at my table, grabs the bottle and motions, "how about me?"

A few weeks ago I'm walking with the GF in a Big C. Older woman walks up and takes my elbow and tries to walk away with me.

Hate it. Absolutely detest this rudeness.

• Like 1

I understand, Sandman.

Last week I'm sitting at a restaurant. For the first time in years, I bought a pint of vodka and was quietly enjoying it on ice while waiting for food, when a middle-aged woman walks up, smiles at me, sits down at my table, grabs the bottle and motions, "how about me?"

A few weeks ago I'm walking with the GF in a Big C. Older woman walks up and takes my elbow and tries to walk away with me.

I have to ask the question, was this someone you boned, but forgot about it?

I understand, Sandman.

Oh, hell no.

When I pointed out my GF to the woman in Big, she started asking the GF about children, how much money I made, and, the big one, how much money I gave the GF.

My great grandfather could speak fluent Sandman and is a language that has been passed down through generations of my family, so this is no problem for me.

I think farangs are much more territorial than Thais and prefer to stay in their own family and social circles. Some even consider other farangs living in their areas or even breathing the same air if close by when out and about as encroaching on their space and this is one good reason why I would not want or consider farangs as being ideal neighbors.

Sometimes when out in public when farangs actually come face to face they appear to act like 2 dogs meeting for the first time. They begin to eye each other up, get a disapproving or a grotesque distorted look on their faces than appear ready to attack.

Over the years, thank goodness, I have lost all my Western conceitedness and no longer consider my home as my castle or my space as my supreme territory. I live at peace with my Thai neighbors, we share each others land to take short cuts to the main roads. Neighbors and friends just walk into our home for a chat with the wife and vice versa and none of my closest friends, including farangs ever require an invitation to visit us. And that is truly the Thai way.

I believe that if for some reasons I were forced to return back to the West I could never coup with the attitudes there, where the good old community spirit vanished long ago and this is another reason why I would hate to see a large influx of Westerners plonking themselves into Thailand, as I love it here just the way it is, warts and all, without it being spoiled by inhospitable, rude and arrogant Westerners.

• Like 1

My great grandfather could speak fluent Sandman and is a language that has been passed down through generations of my family, so this is no problem for me.

I think farangs are much more territorial than Thais and prefer to stay in their own family and social circles. Some even consider other farangs living in their areas or even breathing the same air if close by when out and about as encroaching on their space and this is one good reason why I would not want or consider farangs as being ideal neighbors.

Sometimes when out in public when farangs actually come face to face they appear to act like 2 dogs meeting for the first time. They begin to eye each other up, get a disapproving or a grotesque distorted look on their faces than appear ready to attack.

Over the years, thank goodness, I have lost all my Western conceitedness and no longer consider my home as my castle or my space as my supreme territory. I live at peace with my Thai neighbors, we share each others land to take short cuts to the main roads. Neighbors and friends just walk into our home for a chat with the wife and vice versa and none of my closest friends, including farangs ever require an invitation to visit us. And that is truly the Thai way.

I believe that if for some reasons I were forced to return back to the West I could never coup with the attitudes there, where the good old community spirit vanished long ago and this is another reason why I would hate to see a large influx of Westerners plonking themselves into Thailand, as I love it here just the way it is, warts and all, without it being spoiled by inhospitable, rude and arrogant Westerners.

BJ you are a legend, I never knew you could speak Sandmanese. I would have given you a like, just on that basis.

All Hail The Sandman.

I just had to follow the link for frotteurism didn't I sad.png

Don't worry, your not the only one, I did too. I guess there must be a lot of frotteurists on the mtr at rush hour, maybe you or I have been frotteurised without knowing it, in my day it was called perverted, I wonder who makes up these names!w00t.gif

Edited by AhFarangJa

Don't worry, your not the only one, I did too. I guess there must be a lot of frotteurists on the mtr at rush hour, maybe you are I have been frotteurised without knowing it, in my day it was called perverted, I wonder who makes up these names!w00t.gif

The French. wink.png

• Like 2

I understand, Sandman.

Oh, hell no.

When I pointed out my GF to the woman in Big, she started asking the GF about children, how much money I made, and, the big one, how much money I gave the GF.

I used to get that all the time with X girlfriends, " how much has he paid you to go on holiday."

Used to love the reaction when "bugger all" was conveyed on both their faces.

Might be off topic, still putting it though the Enigma machine and awaiting results...

Don't worry, your not the only one, I did too. I guess there must be a lot of frotteurists on the mtr at rush hour, maybe you are I have been frotteurised without knowing it, in my day it was called perverted, I wonder who makes up these names!w00t.gif

The French. wink.png

I do hope you are not implying they invented it......whistling.gif