Lifan 250 Chopper gas lines

connda

Since I've bought my Lifan 250 V 250 I've had to replace the gas line 4 times. This has been within about the last two years, but I'll check my Green Book and give an exact date within the next week.

The has cost me significant amounts of money to pick the bike up and take it to their shop to fix a problem that should never be happening in the first place.

In my opinion, the Lifan 250 V twin is a piece of garbage. I'm very sorry that I every bought the crap bike.

I've written to Lifan Bangkok two times: once in English and once in Thai. They have refuse to answer my inquiries regarding the problems with their motercycles. I would write to Lifen China, but I would expect nothing different.

So I'm going to be blunt: Cavet Emptor (Buyer Beware). I can not recommend buying any bike made by this company. Do so at your own risk.

I'm selling the piece of garbage that I bought. It's approximately 4 years old. If you want to buy it, make me a reasonable offer. However, I will not sell it to a Lifan dealer nor any individual associated with Lifan. I'm will not have an individual who is associate the this company attempt to sell this bike to an unsuspecting buyer.

PM me with a telephone number and I will give you a list of every thing that has gone wrong with the bike and the issues I've have dealing with my local Lifan dealer: It's a long list. If you want to buy it, I'd suggest taking it to the Bangkok Lifan dealer and having the service department there work on it.

In addition: I've written to the Lifan HQ in Bangkok in both Engish and Thai. They have refused to write my back to my inquiries.

Personally, I can not recommend purchasing a Lifan V Twin 250. From my experience, the customer service is poor to nonexistent. I'm very disappointed and I made a huge mistake by buying the poorly constructed piece of garbage. But to be honest, I would not even buy the bike I'm offering. You'll have nothing but problems unless you have a very good mechanic. And I would never buy one in Northern Thailand. Caveat Emptor. Buyer Beware.

Edited by connda

Bit more room in the pram , now youve thrown all the toys out ! Never heard of any one having to replace the gas/fuel hoses once on ANY bike this age even if using gasohol.Lifan could be interested in such wild (and i susspect false) claims.Back under your bridge

I agree, Lifan are responsible for the first fuel line failure, but not the other 3 and since you don't mention any other faults, just one fault in 4 years is pretty good for any bike.

You wrote..."I've written to Lifan Bangkok two times: once in English and once in Thai. They have refuse to answer my inquiries regarding the problems with their motorcycles." That reads you only had one problem, so why would they both answer? Jap companies don't answer either, this is Thailand.

Now do what Nigel says, go and pick all your toys up and find a mechanic who knows what he is doing.

Edited by AllanB

Here's a tip. find a good motorcycle mechanic. Lifans are inexpensive, but they do not have appear to have the ability or interest to service the bikes. Luckily these low tech bikes are easy to repair and most local big bike shops can fix you up.

• Like 1

Having considered this story a little more carefully i am trying to "read between the lines" and wondering if there is another "dog in this fight". However , as AllanB and canuckamuck says , if this story is not missing important details , the fuel hoses , if made during the last 10 (?) years , should be able to handle even E85 Ethanol. .After the hoses were replaced , you claim they were problematic again. Did you not , for one minute , think the mechanic had fitted some poor quality , unsuitable hoses and consider going elsewhere. This is not Lifans fault-but the mechanics - and yours for going back , maybe.There are many poor mechanics about. This is one of the many advantages to owning a Lifan-almost anyone can maintain them. But you kept going back to a poor one !.Even Ducati-costing in excess of 1,000,000 Baht had Ethanol problems. I do however , conciede their after-sales service could have been better than Lifans. Yes i know Lifans arf 3 times cheaper than some other similar bikes , but their dealers do leave "something to be desired". Ask around to find a GOOD mechanic who understands what you want doing , and keep him !. You will then have a excellent value bike for many more years to come. Hope this helps you.

Bit more room in the pram , now youve thrown all the toys out ! Never heard of any one having to replace the gas/fuel hoses once on ANY bike this age even if using gasohol.Lifan could be interested in such wild (and i susspect false) claims.Back under your bridge

Nigel. I'm not flaming here. Just a question: What do I gain by not being honest. I have receipts for some of the work, and my apartment manager has witnessed each time the gas line starting leaking gas all over the pavement in front of their apartment, which is a fire hazard. My wife told me that they filled up four bottle of gas before getting a mechanic to come to the apartment to to fix the leak (I was out of town). I'm just saying, it's a problem that has happened too many times. I have no reason to fabricate "wild" and "susspect" (sic) "false" claims. How do I benefit? I'm just telling it how it is. If you think I'm lying, that's OK. Your opinion is your own. I'm not going to disparage you for your opinion. Come to my apartment and talk to my managers. They have no benefit by lying either. I'm just very disappointed that I bought the bike. The gas lines are a unreinforced, soft rubber tubing. I should have replaced the lines with reinforced quality gas lines the last time this happened, but I bought OEM replacements from the dealer. That was my mistake. I place the blame entirely on myself. But the engineering of this bike, in my opinion, leaves a lot to be desired. Bottom line is I'll never buy another product from this company again, and I'm going to get rid of the bike. I don't trust it. I welcome your opinion, but I don't agree with you.

Edited by connda

I agree, Lifan are responsible for the first fuel line failure, but not the other 3 and since you don't mention any other faults, just one fault in 4 years is pretty good for any bike.

You wrote..."I've written to Lifan Bangkok two times: once in English and once in Thai. They have refuse to answer my inquiries regarding the problems with their motorcycles." That reads you only had one problem, so why would they both answer? Jap companies don't answer either, this is Thailand.

Now do what Nigel says, go and pick all your toys up and find a mechanic who knows what he is doing.

AllenB,

Reread my post. About half way down I wrote: "PM me with a telephone number and I will give you a list of every thing that has gone wrong with the bike and the issues I've have dealing with my local Lifan dealer: It's a long list." Part of my issue is I'll have to translate the receipt unless you read Thai.

I'll talk face-to-face with a prospective buying and I will disclose all the problems I've had. I don't have all the receipts but I have a wad of them. Some work was done without receipts. Not much I can do there. I'm not out to diss Lifan. But I will disclose every issue I've had with the bike to prospective buyers. And like Mr. Nigel. You're welcome to your opinion. You're welcome to come up with whatever conclusion you wish.

Edited by connda

Having considered this story a little more carefully i am trying to "read between the lines" and wondering if there is another "dog in this fight". However , as AllanB and canuckamuck says , if this story is not missing important details , the fuel hoses , if made during the last 10 (?) years , should be able to handle even E85 Ethanol. .After the hoses were replaced , you claim they were problematic again. Did you not , for one minute , think the mechanic had fitted some poor quality , unsuitable hoses and consider going elsewhere. This is not Lifans fault-but the mechanics - and yours for going back , maybe.There are many poor mechanics about. This is one of the many advantages to owning a Lifan-almost anyone can maintain them. But you kept going back to a poor one !.Even Ducati-costing in excess of 1,000,000 Baht had Ethanol problems. I do however , conciede their after-sales service could have been better than Lifans. Yes i know Lifans arf 3 times cheaper than some other similar bikes , but their dealers do leave "something to be desired". Ask around to find a GOOD mechanic who understands what you want doing , and keep him !. You will then have a excellent value bike for many more years to come. Hope this helps you.

I actually did go to another mechanic. He worked on my bike until I asked him to replace the rear shocks that were bottoming out with myself 82 kilos and my wife 50 kilo on the back. Check the Lifan specs. 130 kilos is not out of spec. The shocks were set to the top setting. Worked with the mechanic but could not find a third party shock to fit the bike. I was depending on the mechanic to find them and install them. Then, the transmission locked up in second gear. My third party mechanic wouldn't touch the bike and told me to go back to Lifan. We did, and I have multiple problems in getting that fixed too. Again, I have my wife and my apartment managers who can attest to the issues I have after the transmission was 'fixed'.

I have asked around but I have been unable to find anyone who is willing to work on the bike. If you know someone, please PM me. If I can find a decent mechanic, I might keep the bike or at least give it to my son.

Do you know alll I've ever wanted in a competent mechanic that can keep my bike repaired and running. Is that a lot to ask?

Here's a tip. find a good motorcycle mechanic. Lifans are inexpensive, but they do not have appear to have the ability or interest to service the bikes. Luckily these low tech bikes are easy to repair and most local big bike shops can fix you up.

Can you recommend a shop or a competent mechanic?

Hello connda , i apologise if my first post was sharp. I re-posted after some thought , and as i say , the first hoses shouldnt have caused problems as the new modern rubber should take ethanol. Lifans are cheap , but robust and very good value , but even Ducatis had problems with this dam ethanol. After the hoses were replaced , you say they "went" again. Did they perish , go soft , become porous or come loose. You dont sound too mechanically minded , so you may not know (no offence). After this , most people would have questioned the hoses , fitting , and/or "mechanic" , yes ?. You should have found a good mechanic , as people have said - i know - easier said than done .It sounds as though you keep having the same type of old and poor quality hoses fitted. Not Lifans fault - maybe not yours , if you dont know what to ask/look for. "Bottom line" is those hoses shouldnt be for sale , from anyone!. As i said , after-sales service from Lifan is poor. If you dont know what to look for/ask , your at their mercy. Lifans are budget , but good bikes , and im sorry you have received a service from them that fell short of being acceptable. As a result of this poor service , i can understand you not too keen (wont be) buying the brand again. Lifan does need to get its act together in its dealers after-sales service. These bikes do need some maintainance , as do all bikes ,and if you cannot or dont want to do it , thats where the dealer should come in !. Anyway , hope you sell it !! and dont beat yourself up about it . Go have a beer , and ask around for recommendations for a GOOD mechanic.Good luck. EDIT. In Chiang Mai there is someone who is good , but seems to work mainly on dirt bikes. Where are you/bike?.

Edited by nigel jeffrey

Hello connda , i apologise if my first post was sharp. I re-posted after some thought , and as i say , the first hoses shouldnt have caused problems as the new modern rubber should take ethanol. Lifans are cheap , but robust and very good value , but even Ducatis had problems with this dam ethanol. After the hoses were replaced , you say they "went" again. Did they perish , go soft , become porous or come loose. You dont sound too mechanically minded , so you may not know (no offence). After this , most people would have questioned the hoses , fitting , and/or "mechanic" , yes ?. You should have found a good mechanic , as people have said - i know - easier said than done .It sounds as though you keep having the same type of old and poor quality hoses fitted. Not Lifans fault - maybe not yours , if you dont know what to ask/look for. "Bottom line" is those hoses shouldnt be for sale , from anyone!. As i said , after-sales service from Lifan is poor. If you dont know what to look for/ask , your at their mercy. Lifans are budget , but good bikes , and im sorry you have received a service from them that fell short of being acceptable. As a result of this poor service , i can understand you not too keen (wont be) buying the brand again. Lifan does need to get its act together in its dealers after-sales service. These bikes do need some maintainance , as do all bikes ,and if you cannot or dont want to do it , thats where the dealer should come in !. Anyway , hope you sell it !! and dont beat yourself up about it . Go have a beer , and ask around for recommendations for a GOOD mechanic.Good luck. EDIT. In Chiang Mai there is someone who is good , but seems to work mainly on dirt bikes. Where are you/bike?.

Nigel,

No offense taken at all. Ever since I got the bike, and after my first encounter with the owner and staff at Lifan, I have asked a number of people, "Where can I find a decent mechanic that is willing to work on a Lifan V Twin 250?" You know something -- I enjoy riding it. Honestly. But the mechanical problems have been a nightmare. I mentioned that I had to have the transmission worked on, just for an example. After I got the bike back, and parked it at my apartment, I wake up the next morning to find the bike in a puddle of oil. The mechanic did not tighten down the bolts that hold the transmission casing together. I don't trust them. I don't know if you've been to the Lifan shop. Look at their facilities. It's a mess. Compare it to Honda or Suzuki or Kawasaki shops. I just shake my head. I had my Honda Dream regular maintenance done last week. Professional, efficient, and I got by bike back cleaner then when I brought it in. The last time I got my Lifan back it was smeared with oil smudges all over the gas tanks. It looked like crap. All I can come up with is they don't care. No professionalism. Nigal, I made a mistake. I'm over 60 and I find cruisers to be much more comfortable than sportsters. But I'm kicking myself for not buying a Honda CBR 250. I've owned two Honda cars and two Honda Dreams and I have never had a problem with any of those vehicles. So I blame myself. I messed up.

As far as the gas tubing goes, I'm not exaggerating. Four times I've replace the tubing. If you check the tubes they are soft rubber. Almost gummy. Ironically about two weeks ago I told my wife that I'd like to go back to a third party mechanic and have all the tubing replaced with high quality reinforced gas lines. That thought comes to me out the the blue and two weeks later my bike is in a pool of gasoline. Thank god I have managers who are really decent people. They called Lifan who came and picked up the bike (charged me for it of course for transportation). Total cost of the work: 500 baht to change the hoses (and lord only knows what they really did), and 500 baht to pick the bike up in a truck and transport it to and from my apartment (I live maybe 4 kilometers away from their shop. So total bill: 1000 baht. And I have no guarantee that these gas lines won't dissolve again.

Like I've asked so many other people: I just want a competent mechanic that I can trust to do decent work and not rip me off. And I don't trust this only Lifan dealer in Chiang Mai. Nigel, I'm open to suggestions, but most suggestions are, "Go find a good mechanic." But where? Who? Who will work on Lifans? Like I said before, the one mechanic I went to wouldn't work on the motorcycle when it locked up in second gear, and he could never find a set of non-OEM shocks for the rear of the bike. I know YSS makes them, but I needed a mechanic to talk to the saleforce in Bangkok to order a set, and he wouldn't do it, and my Thai sure is not good enough to attempt to order the shocks myself. And my wife wouldn't even know what to say. And you're right - I'm not mechanically inclined. Worked with computers for 25 years. Need a software upgrade, need a server, need web services, database administration. Yep, that's what I did.

But I wish I could work on cars and motorcycles. I'd be willing to learn. If I could find someone with decent enough English skills, I'd pay to have them teach me. Heck, it would be a great hobby. But who is going to teach me. 60+ year old retired farang. I really am at a loss.

Nigel, I do appreciate your post. Thanks man.

Edited by connda

Hi Connda

I've got a Lifan 250 which I have been delighted with so far.

2 years old and 6500km and only one problem

The rear brakes locked the rear wheel up intermittently and I got Lifan in Phuket to pick it up and they brought it back with new rear shoes fitted and cost of 590B plus I tipped the guy who returned it.

Delightful to ride and we are both a bit heavier than you and your wife. The shocks could be a bit harder but in ordinary riding no problem, just a couple of real deep potholes where we have bottomed out on. Apparently one of the Yamaha shocks will fit according to one of the posters on here. Riding in Patong is really hard on a bike as you are constantly changing gear and there are a lot of hills where we ride daily and using the engine for braking a lot, I have been thinking that with the weight running against the engine down hill, the gearbox might slip out of gear but no sign of that, touch wood.

You are right, you probably need to find someone who is competent with them although they do seem pretty simple mechanically so anyone with four stroke experience should be able to handle most stuff.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

• Like 1

Hello connda , May i start by thanking you for such a plesant reply. when i read your first post - ripping the Lifan apart - i regret i thought you were another "anti Lifan" troll - we get the loosers on Lifan/Chinese bike sites here. Im now realise i was wrong. I whole-heartedly feel for you . You have received terrible service from the Lifan "dealer" in Chiang Mai. I realy think you should make all efforts to contact Lifan , in Bangkok , or China , to inform them of this continuing situation. Im being very carefull of my wording !.Yes , i have visited the shop (between the train station and the highway)?. Workshop looks like an explosion / tanker accident. I Lifans are good bikes , as you say , but i believe the main problem , that we hear about again and again , is the dealers, the lack of after-sales service , and poor quality work. It seems Lifan will allow anyone to become a dealer. The mechanice are just trying to earn a living , but working in conditions you have seen , however well their intentions , with equipment available , will result in poor workmanship.. Lifan could build the best bikes in the world , and its all "for nothing" if dealers arent capable of serviceing them. AllanB is considering one - the 200cc Cross enduro - (i dont know where he lives) , but he should be fine as he seems very mechanicaly minded. I recomended the Keeway TX Enduro to him!.There seems so many people who are delighted with their Lifans , but your problems have been in-excuseably compounded by the dealer. I will phone up a guy i know , in Hang Dong , tommorow , and ask if he will take on this bike , or can he recommend someone - someone GOOD .He is Thai and works mainly on dirt bikes. Im in England (Biringham) now , so please give me a few days. I was in CM last month , wont be back till February , but will gladly talk you through the basics of maintanence upon my return. If you are looking for a replacement , may i be bold enougth to suggest a look at the Keeway "super-light" cruiser. No , i dont work for Keeway HA HA , i dont work for anyone , i retired in 2011.Best of luck JEFF - friends call me Jeff - long story. If i knew anything about computers , i could change my "screen name".

• Like 1

I've had the Lifan dirt for 2+ years with no real problems You're right about the dealers though, The one I bought my dirt bike from is useless, wouldn't even trust them to do an oil change let alone anything else. One of my falang friends a couple of villages away recently bought one of the same Lifan's you have & I took it for a spin, very smooth & quiet, but no guts to it was my opinion, slower acceleration & lower top speed than my Keyway superlight 200 cruiser so not impressed. Another of my friends has just bought a Keyway 250 v twin cruiser, haven't had a go on it yet but he could keep up with me on my Keyway superlight which the Lifan couldn't so seemingly an improvement. I'm waiting for him to have run it in before I have a go after which I'll have a better idea on it. I recommend the superlight 200 though, I've done over 20000 km on mine with no problems, the gears are a bit clunky,(think 60's british bike style) & I stiffened the rear suspension by 2 notches, easily done by anyone with a C spanner. The mechanics are simple as it's a single cylinder virtually the same as most of the song kraws so nearly any Thai mechanic can fix them, not that I've needed this yet...

AllenB,

Reread my post. About half way down I wrote: "PM me with a telephone number and I will give you a list of every thing that has gone wrong with the bike and the issues I've have dealing with my local Lifan dealer: It's a long list." Part of my issue is I'll have to translate the receipt unless you read Thai.

I'll talk face-to-face with a prospective buying and I will disclose all the problems I've had. I don't have all the receipts but I have a wad of them. Some work was done without receipts. Not much I can do there. I'm not out to diss Lifan. But I will disclose every issue I've had with the bike to prospective buyers. And like Mr. Nigel. You're welcome to your opinion. You're welcome to come up with whatever conclusion you wish.

I must admit I didn't notice that line, as you were so focused on the fuel line issue, which was down to the crappy dealer you kept going back to. That led me to believe you were just having a go at the Lifan, at a time when everyone else was singing their praises. My mistake.

So list all the things that have gone wrong, we all like to hear about problems, as well as qualities, it helps us avoid making the same mistakes. It also gives us clues as to what to watch out for when we buy a similar product.

I think we all realise that these bikes are not perfect, or even up to Jap standards, so we need to know if we can live with the problems or not.

There are also good and bad models from all companies, I had a Honda Phantom, which had, let's be charitable, a number of weaknesses and I had similar feelings as you towards that wrenched bike. Most of those problems were caused by the dealer, or my laziness in not fixing it myself, I learned from that mistake, got up of my rear and now things get done western style. If I have to get a Thai to do anything I watch what he is doing and stop him before he screws it up.

On the other hand I have a Honda Wave, which has never missed a beat in 4+ years and right now it looks as though it will last forever.

Be objective, list all the faults you have had and we can decide, but forget about contacting anyone here to complain, this is Thailand and no one gives a monkey's. Guaranty is a western word, I could recite a 10 volume saga about a Seiko watch I bought here that kept falling to bits, it took scores of emails, mostly ignored and a full year to sort it, eventually with the kind help of Seiko UK. I ended up with a brand new watch, at triple the value, but it was very hard work, the eventual success coming when I threatened to expose Seiko on Youtube. Not sure that would work with Lifan.

So just name and shame, the full list, that what this forum is for.

• Like 1

Can you recommend a shop or a competent mechanic?

I don't live in Chiang Mai anymore, there was a little shop near the San Sai intersection on the first ring road. On the section coming from San Kampang and a few shops before you turn down Narawat. They are very small and just work on choppers it seems. No English.

The shop I prefer is over here In Chiang Rai, a little ways past the Makro on the right hand side on the way to Mae Sai.

They are actually a Lifan dealer, but they sell all brands it seems and their shop is quite nice. All the bikes up on racks and the mechs in uniforms.

They have done a couple of things for me and I am happy to go back.

Hello connda , May i start by thanking you for such a plesant reply. when i read your first post - ripping the Lifan apart - i regret i thought you were another "anti Lifan" troll - we get the loosers on Lifan/Chinese bike sites here. Im now realise i was wrong. I whole-heartedly feel for you . You have received terrible service from the Lifan "dealer" in Chiang Mai. I realy think you should make all efforts to contact Lifan , in Bangkok , or China , to inform them of this continuing situation. Im being very carefull of my wording !.Yes , i have visited the shop (between the train station and the highway)?. Workshop looks like an explosion / tanker accident. I Lifans are good bikes , as you say , but i believe the main problem , that we hear about again and again , is the dealers, the lack of after-sales service , and poor quality work. It seems Lifan will allow anyone to become a dealer. The mechanice are just trying to earn a living , but working in conditions you have seen , however well their intentions , with equipment available , will result in poor workmanship.. Lifan could build the best bikes in the world , and its all "for nothing" if dealers arent capable of serviceing them. AllanB is considering one - the 200cc Cross enduro - (i dont know where he lives) , but he should be fine as he seems very mechanicaly minded. I recomended the Keeway TX Enduro to him!.There seems so many people who are delighted with their Lifans , but your problems have been in-excuseably compounded by the dealer. I will phone up a guy i know , in Hang Dong , tommorow , and ask if he will take on this bike , or can he recommend someone - someone GOOD .He is Thai and works mainly on dirt bikes. Im in England (Biringham) now , so please give me a few days. I was in CM last month , wont be back till February , but will gladly talk you through the basics of maintanence upon my return. If you are looking for a replacement , may i be bold enougth to suggest a look at the Keeway "super-light" cruiser. No , i dont work for Keeway HA HA , i dont work for anyone , i retired in 2011.Best of luck JEFF - friends call me Jeff - long story. If i knew anything about computers , i could change my "screen name".t

Thanks Nigel. I do appreciate it.

Just confused a bit. How does 4l of gas leak out if the gas is turned off? There should only be a few ounces, if that, in the hose.

Knowing that Lifan's fuel hoses are useless why go back to Lifan? Why not go to an independent and get something else fitted? Or go to an auto parts store buy the hose of your choice then have third party guy fit it. Seems a lot of banging one's head against a wall has been going on here.

You are entitled to your opinions but I think you have failed to see that a Lifan is a bottom end of the market bike and having made a decision to go that route a certain amount of acceptance of odd problems has to accompany that decision.

Just out of interest what were you expecting of Lifan should you have got a reply from them?

EDIT: Some time ago I bought some fuel hose for my bike it is market SAE J30 after some investigation just now in future I/we should be looking for J30 R7 hose as it is E20/E85 compliant. If one surfs for Fuel oil hose SAE J30R7 there are even pictures from Thai sites but they are a bit large to post here.

Edited by VocalNeal

AllenB,

I must admit I didn't notice that line, as you were so focused on the fuel line issue, which was down to the crappy dealer you kept going back to. That led me to believe you were just having a go at the Lifan, at a time when everyone else was singing their praises. My mistake.

So list all the things that have gone wrong, we all like to hear about problems, as well as qualities, it helps us avoid making the same mistakes. It also gives us clues as to what to watch out for when we buy a similar product.

I think we all realise that these bikes are not perfect, or even up to Jap standards, so we need to know if we can live with the problems or not.

There are also good and bad models from all companies, I had a Honda Phantom, which had, let's be charitable, a number of weaknesses and I had similar feelings as you towards that wrenched bike. Most of those problems were caused by the dealer, or my laziness in not fixing it myself, I learned from that mistake, got up of my rear and now things get done western style. If I have to get a Thai to do anything I watch what he is doing and stop him before he screws it up.

On the other hand I have a Honda Wave, which has never missed a beat in 4+ years and right now it looks as though it will last forever.

Be objective, list all the faults you have had and we can decide, but forget about contacting anyone here to complain, this is Thailand and no one gives a monkey's. Guaranty is a western word, I could recite a 10 volume saga about a Seiko watch I bought here that kept falling to bits, it took scores of emails, mostly ignored and a full year to sort it, eventually with the kind help of Seiko UK. I ended up with a brand new watch, at triple the value, but it was very hard work, the eventual success coming when I threatened to expose Seiko on Youtube. Not sure that would work with Lifan.

AllenB: Here you go. Here's the 'laundery list" up through the beginning of 2014. I actually posted this list earlier this year. Let's start from the beginning.

Problem 1:

Replaced front light.

Problem 2:

The vehicle started leaking gas. I took it to the regional Lifan service shop. They replaced a fuel line.

Problem 3:

The vehicle has a switch to go from the main to reserve tank. The knob fell off after service.

Problem 4:

Took the vehicle back to replace the knob, but had to replace the entire fuel distribution unit. Guess they couldn't just replace the knob. No idea why not.

Problem 5:

Part of the engine housing fell off. Had a third party mechanic systemically check all bolts and screws on the vehicle and tighten. And I had him have a machine shop make a part to the steering assembly that had fallen off (don't know when)

Problem 6:

Rear shocks bottom out with a rider on the back (130 kilos ain't much weight) Discussed with dealer who just shrugged it off and said there was no solution. I asked about replacing the shocks and was told 'no'. I still consider that to be BS.

Problem 7:

Replace the front light again.

Problem 8:

Replace the clutch after the transmission 'locked up' in second gear.

Problem 9:

Once I got the vehicle back, it was leaking oil in puddles. Immediately took it back to dealer after I noticed while wondering how much oil I lost.

Problem 10:

Second ride out after having the clutch replaced, the clutch cable goes slack about 20km from the dealer. Drive back in 2nd gear, praying that I don't have to stop for anything. Once back to the shop, they showed me the clutch adjustment. My question, why the heck wasn't the clutch cable tightened in the first place?

Problem 11: Can't get the vehicle to start. Take to third party to jump start (no hills where I live to compression start) and recharge battery. I'm told the battery is fine.

Problem 12: Oil is leaking from top of cylinder head. Note to self: take back to dealer to have it checked.

Problem 13: A day later there is a pool of gas under the previously 'fixed' fuel line.

Problem 14: Take vehicle back to dealer. Ask why it wasn't fixed? Dealer states that the third party must of damaged the fuel line while taking off the cover to check the battery. (Yeah right! Really! Blame it on someone else) Later tells my Thai companion that they (Lifan) only replaced one fuel line out of (I believe) three, and the other two lines had degraded and started leaking (this is a vehicle just over two years old! Had service department replace all fuel lines.

Problem 15: After driving the vehicle about 2 kms, I noticed that none of the display lights were working (shame on me, but you don't understand how badly I just want to get away for this dealer's service center after they 'worked over' (pun intented) my vehicle.

Problem 16: Drive back to dealer an hour later. All the lights worked prior prior to Problem 12, but the dashlights are now all non-functional. Service department determines that a wire distribution cable had malfunctioned.

Problem 17: Paid for the wire distribution cable, started the vehicle only to find the four of the five dash lights works (they all use to work prior to Problem 12.

Problem 18: Service department staff informs by that I need a new distribution network of five display bulbs (that worked prior to Problem 12. Now awaiting new parts. Bottom line, they didn't check any of their own work. Pathetic.

Problem 19: I'm sick and tired of the rear shocks bottoming out. Had my wife tell him to either replace them or I'd file a complaint with the Thailand Consumer Protection division (for what that would be worth). They agree to replace them. Obviously everything was a big misunderstanding. They thought I wanted to 'fix' the shocks (No, I may not be mechanically inclined, but I'm far from being stupid). I can't make this up. I'd specifically had previously said to replace the defective shocks because the present suspension was dangerous.

Problem 20: Battery went completely dead. So much from being told that the battery was fine and could hold a charge. We ordered a new OEM one from Lifan (my mistake). It took about three weeks to get. My wife called backed weekly to be told it was on order. After three weeks, we find out no one informed the service manager to order the battery. They EMSs the new battery to the shop about three days later.

Also note at Item 14 where they said that they replaced 'all of the fuel lines". So my question is, why did I just replace them again? Something is really not kosher here. I'm not making up stories.

And sadly, I enjoy riding this bike. If I didn't have some many problems with it, it would be a joy. Unfortunately, I afraid to take this much further out of town than about 60 km.

If anyone has additional questions or suggestions, PM me. I hope this helps. Maybe I just didn't offer enough Whiskey and Tobacco to the local motorcycle deities prior to buying the bike. lol Maybe I'll take the Lifan to the Rahoo diety statue at Wat Cheti Lueang, offer a few Johnney Walker Black labels and coke to the deity, and have a monk paint a bunch of 'lucky symbols' on the bike. Who knows -- might help. Otherwise, if I can't find a decent mechanic, I'm at a loss.

Edited by connda

AllenB,

AllenB: Here you go. Here's the 'laundery list" up through the beginning of 2014. I actually posted this list earlier this year. Let's start from the beginning.

Problem 1:

Replaced front light.

Problem 2:

The vehicle started leaking gas. I took it to the regional Lifan service shop. They replaced a fuel line.

Problem 3:

The vehicle has a switch to go from the main to reserve tank. The knob fell off after service.

Problem 4:

Took the vehicle back to replace the knob, but had to replace the entire fuel distribution unit. Guess they couldn't just replace the knob. No idea why not.

Problem 5:

Part of the engine housing fell off. Had a third party mechanic systemically check all bolts and screws on the vehicle and tighten. And I had him have a machine shop make a part to the steering assembly that had fallen off (don't know when)

Problem 6:

Rear shocks bottom out with a rider on the back (130 kilos ain't much weight) Discussed with dealer who just shrugged it off and said there was no solution. I asked about replacing the shocks and was told 'no'. I still consider that to be BS.

Problem 7:

Problem 8:

Problem 9:

Once I got the vehicle back, it was leaking oil in puddles. Immediately took it back to dealer after I noticed while wondering how much oil I lost.

Problem 10:

Second ride out after having the clutch replaced, the clutch cable goes slack about 20km from the dealer. Drive back in 2nd gear, praying that I don't have to stop for anything. Once back to the shop, they showed me the clutch adjustment. My question, why the heck wasn't the clutch cable tightened in the first place?

Problem 11: Can't get the vehicle to start. Take to third party to jump start (no hills where I live to compression start) and recharge battery. I'm told the battery is fine.

Problem 12: Oil is leaking from top of cylinder head. Note to self: take back to dealer to have it checked.

Problem 13: A day later there is a pool of gas under the previously 'fixed' fuel line.

Problem 14: Take vehicle back to dealer. Ask why it wasn't fixed? Dealer states that the third party must of damaged the fuel line while taking off the cover to check the battery. (Yeah right! Really! Blame it on someone else) Later tells my Thai companion that they (Lifan) only replaced one fuel line out of (I believe) three, and the other two lines had degraded and started leaking (this is a vehicle just over two years old! Had service department replace all fuel lines.

Problem 15: After driving the vehicle about 2 kms, I noticed that none of the display lights were working (shame on me, but you don't understand how badly I just want to get away for this dealer's service center after they 'worked over' (pun intented) my vehicle.

Problem 16: Drive back to dealer an hour later. All the lights worked prior prior to Problem 12, but the dashlights are now all non-functional. Service department determines that a wire distribution cable had malfunctioned.

Problem 17: Paid for the wire distribution cable, started the vehicle only to find the four of the five dash lights works (they all use to work prior to Problem 12.

Problem 18: Service department staff informs by that I need a new distribution network of five display bulbs (that worked prior to Problem 12. Now awaiting new parts. Bottom line, they didn't check any of their own work. Pathetic.

Problem 19: Battery went dead. We ordered a new OEM one from Lifan (my mistake). It took about three weeks to get. My wife called backed weekly to be told it was on order. After three weeks, we find out no one informed the service manager to order the battery. They EMSs it to the shop about three days later.

Also note at Item 14 where they said that they replaced 'all of the fuel lines". So my question is, why did I just replace them again? Something is really not kosher here.

And sadly, I enjoy riding this bike.

If anyone has additional questions, PM me. I hopes this helps. Maybe I just didn't offer enough Whiskey and Tobacco to the local motorcycle deities prior to buying the bike. lol Who knows.

That's a nightmare list, sounds like a Toyota Soluna I borrowed/hired.

I understand the rant now.

VocalNeal. Yes i did question why connda kept going back , but in his defence , he brought the Lifan from a Lifan dealer (in Chiang Mai) and took it back to the Lifan dealer for repairs. So far - so good. However the problems stem from the atrocious service he received , from said dealer. And connda admits he knows little about bikes and has tried , in vein , to find a good mechanic.Hes still looking !! . If a good mechanic can "take on" this bike , he is very keen to keep it. This is what we are trying to help with .These are budget bikes and like all bikes , can/do need maintanence .This is when the problems start if you take it to such a poor dealer/mechanic.This realy lets Lifan down , and annoys me , as it paints a bad picture of not only Lifan , but mechanics , and Thailand. Connda didnt know where else to go.Or what fuel lines to ask for.PS thanks for posting the latest fuel line standard - i dont like this gasohol stuff.Next step is connda getting a Keeway !. They DO have a good dealer near "Big C", 2KM from the Lifan dealer.Funny old game , these bikes eh!.

I've talked with my wife. I'm selling the bike. Next stop, Thai Visa Ads. She asked me, "Can you ever keep this bike and be happy and stop thinking about the owner of the Lifan shop?" No a can't. I'm incredibly disappointed with the unprofessionalism of the local dealer. If Lifan ever plans on getting their act together, they need to get control of their franchisees. I'm not holding my breath. Thank you all for the input. I appreciate it. Bottom line: Buyer beware.

Edited by connda

Connda , sorry you are giving up - perhaps i dont blame you. Do you want me to call the dirt bike mechanic. If you require a mechanic in the future.Yes Lifan needs to check all their dealers are up to standard . The one in Phuket has received great praise here.

I don't blame you, I felt the same about the Phantom, my brother in law has it now and it seems to be running okay, though there is now a noise from the g/box. I said I would pay for the repairs, as and when, so he is happy.

With the Phanton it was all down to the dealer, well two engine rebuilds in two months, that speaks for itself, then they butchered the carb too. So Lifan, Honda, no difference in these two cases.

Good luck with the new bike.

• Like 1

Connda , sorry you are giving up - perhaps i dont blame you. Do you want me to call the dirt bike mechanic. If you require a mechanic in the future.Yes Lifan needs to check all their dealers are up to standard . The one in Phuket has received great praise here.

Thanks Nigel, but yeah -- for my own peace of mind I'm giving up. Just posted this: http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/lifan-250cc-v-twin-for-sale-281150.html

Thanks for your offer to help sir. It's appreciated. Really!

I don't blame you, I felt the same about the Phantom, my brother in law has it now and it seems to be running okay, though there is now a noise from the g/box. I said I would pay for the repairs, as and when, so he is happy.

With the Phanton it was all down to the dealer, well two engine rebuilds in two months, that speaks for itself, then they butchered the carb too. So Lifan, Honda, no difference in these two cases.

Good luck with the new bike.

My six year old Honda Dream as had one problem with the carb. The dealer tried to rebuild it twice. I finally asked him to stop and just replace the carb with a new OEM carb. Magic! No problems after that. And the Dream has be a dream. Wonderful bike. So that is actually one of the things I've noticed with Thai mechanics. They seem to want to fix things on the cheap. I'd prefer pay the extra cost and replace defective parts. Rebuilds never seem to work well. The only other modification I made was installing high quality Michalin tires on the Dream. I was getting flat tires every 2000 km using stock Honda tires. I've probably put 12000 km on the bike since changing to Michelin tires with absolutely no problems, and the wear on the tires is minimal. I'm quite happy with that.

Edited by connda

If you use the bike every day and park in the shade always buy the best tyres, some of the cheap tyres here wear out in 5000km and as you say are paper thin and pick up punctures easily. I try to go up one size too, a wider footprint, so less pressure to cut into the tyre, more comfort too.

I don't know what Michelin do, but their tyres seem to last forever, on a Merc 190 I replaced the tyres once in 240,000 miles, so that is at least 200,000km on one set, albeit a lot of motorway driving.

The big factor here is sun damage, when I bought the NV, the tyres had 80% of the tread left, but were very badly cracked all over, dangerous, a waste really.

On a final note, try to learn about mechanics, it's easier than you think, watch and ask the guys here, before and after you get a job done. There is a lot of expertise on this forum and I find fault finding interesting and educational too, better than drooling over the latest Harley or Jap sports bike, which is exactly the same as all the others.saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif IMO these guys should do it properly... and get a porn mag.

So let's bring this list up to date as of today:

Problem 1:

Replaced front light.

Problem 2:

Problem 3:

Problem 4:

Problem 5:

Problem 6:

Problem 7:

Problem 8:

Problem 9:

Problem 10:

Problem 19: I'm sick and tired of the rear shocks bottoming out. Had my wife tell him to either replace them or I'd file a complaint with the Thailand Consumer Protection division (for what that would be worth). They agree to replace them. Obviously everything was a big misunderstanding. They thought I wanted to 'fix' the shocks (No, I may not be mechanically inclined, but I'm far from being stupid). I can't make this up. I'd specifically had previously said to replace the defective shocks because the present suspension was dangerous.
Problem 20: Battery went completely dead. So much from being told that the battery was fine and could hold a charge. We ordered a new OEM one from Lifan (my mistake). It took about three weeks to get. My wife called backed weekly to be told it was on order. After three weeks, we find out no one informed the service manager to order the battery. They EMSs the new battery to the shop about three days later.
Problem 21: That was the problem we just had fixed where gas was leaking out of the gas line -- again. According to my wife, they replaced all the fuel lines with whatever fuel line they use at the CM Lifan shop.
Problem 22 (26-6-14): Just took the bike out for a ride at my wife's urging. Personally I hate the POS. When the gear is in neutral a green light lights up on the dash panel. When I took it out, the greeb neutral indication light worked. After about 10 km I put the bike in neutral at a stop light and the light started to flicker. Got it home and it doesn't work at all. Checked the obvious connection at the clutch handle, but don't know where the other end terminates. Maybe a loose connection, but we've been here before. Check Problems 16 and 17 where they previously replace wiring cabling to the light displays and I had the exact same problem with the green indicator light.

Edited by connda