Looking for a new location to move in Thailand. Any suggestions?

rhino533

I've been living in Thailand for the last 14 years. In the past I've lived in Bangkok (6 years) and I'm currently living in Rayong (8 years). I used to love Rayong (still do in parts) but I'm starting to get fed up with it. To many new factories, the odd gas plant explosion, gas leaks, water contamination, and just how busy it is now. I live very near Rayong City. I have a young family and I'm starting to think it's time to move. Somewhere more quiet, better air, has ok schools, I would need to be able to get an ok internet connection, safe and places I can go food shopping. Tesco, Big C etc. I would want to build a house on a big plot of land. Maybe somewhere where the land prices aren't to crazy. I prefer live outside of a town/city not in it. I drive so I'm able to get around. I'm very curious to hear any suggestions from TV members? Where do you think is the best place to live in Thailand? Phetchabun is nice any thoughts? Thanks for any comments!

Good question, I guess it depends what amenities you want.

I like Eastern a Thailand, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat but you would know these areas. I like Kanchanaburi in that it is close to Bangkok, relatively inexpensive and has most amenities. However, it does get hot there.

I like Eastern a Thailand, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat but you would know these areas. I like Kanchanaburi in that it is close to Bangkok, relatively inexpensive and has most amenities. However, it does get hot there.

I like the other side, Hua Hin, Cha am, because it's away from Snottgobler, far away ;)

• Like 1

Only downside as I see it with Phetchabun is that if you want to go anywhere its drive or long bus trip, no other transportation means up there. Phitsanoluk airport is about 2.5 hrs away.

Great area though.VERY hot !

• Like 1

I like the other side, Hua Hin, Cha am, because it's away from Snottgobler, far away ;)

Lol, ND but one does travel there as well.

Yeah I know, ur all over the place like a mad woman's s h I t.

we shall get together one day down there. YOUR SHOUT !

OP, the best suggestion I could have for you is pack up the car and hit the road for a few weeks/months. We often do that, stay in local apartments, sleek around and sus out new areas.

I'm also on the lookout for somewhere new because virtually every day there's a knock on the farmhouse door with offers for the lands, each time they're getting closer and closer to the right price.

shortly after that I will be on tour permanently :)

I can never stay put in one place too long, before the locals run me outa town :P

Staying in the Phetchabun area, though on the rice plains, you could try Phitsanulok. From what you describe in the OP it would cover everything you mention. Just to break it down a bit (in no particular order):

Schools:

50+ schools, about a dozen colleges and 3 x universities.

Housing & Land:

Lots of new moo baans going up everywhere, ranging from 1 to 15+ million baht. Land prices are going up and I reckon the land prices are on par with the Ban Chang area at the minute. Building your own and living on the outskirts is very do-able.

Shopping:

Makro, Big-C, Tesco, Central. Name it, we have it.

Internet Connections:

I have just changed packages (yesterday) and the attached was taken 2 minutes ago. OK, it is only a speedtest, but better than any I have experienced on the Eastern seaboard. 900 baht ADSL package.............wink.png

post-76988-0-09486500-1403428706_thumb.p

30Mbps & 60Mbps optic connections available (1,200 & 5,400 respectively) if needed.

Certainly worse places to live, I reckon about 350-ish expats living in Phits and surrounding areas.

Edit: As CharlieH mentioned earlier, it is certainly hot up here and being on the plains doesn't have a lot of protection.

Edited by chrisinth

Yeah I know, ur all over the place like a mad woman's s h I t.

we shall get together one day down there. YOUR SHOUT !

An open invitation ND, as there is for a few others

• Like 1

If your Aussie, then hots not really hot. Then you gotta love hot to live in Thailand.

Khon Kaen is a good place for family. I've chatted with local western guys there, they all say the same. Good for kids.

If your Aussie, then hots not really hot. Then you gotta love hot to live in Thailand.

Khon Kaen is a good place for family. I've chatted with local western guys there, they all say the same. Good for kids.

I'd second Kanchanaburi.

for me Cha Am is my favourite place.still quiet an relaxed but almost every thing availabe here and if you nneed something special Hua Hin is a 20 min ride away.i live a little bit outside of town with a stunning montain view.just love that place!

Living in Thailand for 14 years? Start traveling! Only way to find out.

Only limitation: If you have to work for a living, obviously you will have to stay where the Jobs are and therefore a good part of Thailand will remain "out of reach" for you.

Cheers.

If you like to be by the beach and close to BK and Hua Hin, I think Cha Am may be a very good choice. Low cost and not busy at all on week days. Sometimes busy during weekend and holidays with Thai families on the beach, but very safe and friendly environment. If you like the mountains and colder weather, and to feel spoiled with a easy to live city, with no traffic, 10 minutes max time to do any immigration service, great schools and safe environment, nice and friendly expat community, that dream place is real. A beautiful city close to Chiang Mai-Phayao, bordering Laos and Burma, amazing landscapes, and country areas just 20 minutes from town, etc, etc, No mountain town can beat Chiang Rai.

Edited by umbanda

You may want to try Prachuab Kirikhan, a bit further down from Hua Hin, quiet town with great beaches, golf and only an hour's drive to all the big shops in Hua Hin. Bang saphan even further south has quite a few expats as well. Just ideas, but recommend as others have done to drive around Thailand and find the right place for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just down the road from you--Bang Chang--- still nice & quite, reasonable priced Beach locations sale or rent.,its still my favorite beach town--just don't get down there to enough. but If you want to take the big Leap---The Issan Leap-- Udon Thani, there is over 3,700 high rise apartments under construction at the moment--90% are sold--- 81% sold to BKK owners. 2nd university just finished. Internet--real good.

Just down the road from you--Bang Chang--- still nice & quite, reasonable priced Beach locations sale or rent.,its still my favorite beach town--just don't get down there to enough. but If you want to take the big Leap---The Issan Leap-- Udon Thani, there is over 3,700 high rise apartments under construction at the moment--90% are sold--- 81% sold to BKK owners. 2nd university just finished. Internet--real good.

...but, it's still Udon Thani.

I left there over a year ago after a 5 year residence that saw it turn into a traffic nightmare 7-days a week versus just at weekends (with the flush Lao visitors) when I first moved there. After the great flood (of Bangkok), land prices doubled. Then they announced the new ring-roads location and the prices just got silly. Mind you, maybe 15-20 minute drive outside the 'city' and you may find some decent land and there's certainly enough builders supply shops... just don't know if any of the local builders are worth it. They buy a nice plot, shoehorn in as many of the uninspiring, cookie-cutter 120 sq m homes as they can, gable-to-gable and then charge 5 million a pop.

Charlie's earlier post,Petchabun is a nice province,i live in the south of it,between two mountain range's very green and lush,but as Charlie said the heat between Late March early june is awful,now the wet season is sort of here it's better,ideally,if you could live here it is good,a lot of expat's in Wichianburi area and Petchabun city,not as highly populated as many other area's of Thailand,but depends what you like,after this years horrendous hot season, i am really thinking to stay for three month,s on the coast,next year maybe march ,april,may,as most day's this year it was 38cand up,but we had a wonderfull cool season this year,and a good reasonably cool rainy season last year,also much cheaper for land and building up here.What do you think Charlie.

• Like 1

Petchabun is awesome, small city of only about 500,000 (coming from canada, that ain't that small). People are friendly, many farlangs about, English signs in tesco, no serious supply of girl bars, decent schools, and cost of living is reasonable. As was already stayed land prices are low but seriously on the rise, almost (I said almost) investment worthy (after all TIT).

Mountains are beautiful, little Switzerland is an amazing area!

Just need a couple good sports bars...... Hey there's an idea!!

Petchabun is awesome, small city of only about 500,000 (coming from canada, that ain't that small). People are friendly, many farlangs about, English signs in tesco, no serious supply of girl bars, decent schools, and cost of living is reasonable. As was already stayed land prices are low but seriously on the rise, almost (I said almost) investment worthy (after all TIT).

Mountains are beautiful, little Switzerland is an amazing area!

Just need a couple good sports bars...... Hey there's an idea!!

Hey,man,good to speak to another Petchabun guy,agree 100% with your post ,scary how fast land prices are going up here.